• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

World-building of Splatoon

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
I couldn't think of any other headcanons to post so I just dug up an old one that's kinda disproved by an inkopolis news statement. I figured that because the placement of the ramps doesn't make any sense and why would inklings skateboard if they can do all this crazy acrobatics in turf war?
Because you can soar higher through the air and perform tricks with the skateboard, such as kickflips, grabs, and grinds? I don't understand your logic. That's like asking why we have bikes when we can skateboard or rollerblade.

Also, I just took a look at the skatepark, and while some stuff looks a little scaled down due to the game's artstyle, I don't see any nonsensical placement of ramps. You'll need to specify.

Hesoca

Full Squid
I couldn't think of any other headcanons to post so I just dug up an old one that's kinda disproved by an inkopolis news statement. I figured that because the placement of the ramps doesn't make any sense and why would inklings skateboard if they can do all this crazy acrobatics in turf war?
The only weirdly-placed ramp I can think of is the tall platform in the middle of the arena. Everything else seems to be correct, if not a little cramped (what with all the walls placed around the area to keep it from being too open.)

Postwreck

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Postwreck
I'm starting to think that ink sports are big, yes, but the world does not revolve around them. I don't think they're the biggest source of income for Inkopolis. I think that either transportation or energy are the biggest.

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
I'm starting to think that ink sports are big, yes, but the world does not revolve around them. I don't think they're the biggest source of income for Inkopolis. I think that either transportation or energy are the biggest.
Heheh, it's kind of ironic to say that the world doesn't revolve around them when the game revolves around it. xD

I know you're referring to the Zapfish, but why would you say its the biggest source? I'd think Inkopolis's real source or revenue is Jellyfish tourism. Also, I have no ideas where you came up with transportation. The airplanes that fly overhead sometimes?

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Postwreck How would you propose Inkopolis exports power? And it's public transportation (ideally) just supposed to support itself? Anyway, I'm totally for the idea that Inkopolis breeds Zapfish.

Hesoca

Full Squid
@Aykorn: Actually, Inkopolis has a lot going for it in terms of transportation. There's that plane you see sometimes, yeah, but let's not forget the giant subway that tours through the center of town. That beast transports all the inkling sports teams across the country, (well, probably... I don't know how lore-friendly the art contest was supposed to be), and likely anyone else that wants to head out of the city. Considering how popular ink sports are (regardless of whether or not they're the most popular sport in the world) and how many tourists come into the city, that subway system has to be packed with creatures at all sorts of hours, (though it's still probably not enough revenue to be their biggest source of income.)

@ReedRGale: Would make sense considering they have the giant Zapfish lying around. I bet the Zapfish are like the city's mascot. It would certainly explain how the Octolings keep finding so many of the Zapfish plushies you rescue when you replay the single-player levels. :D

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
@Aykorn: Actually, Inkopolis has a lot going for it in terms of transportation. There's that plane you see sometimes, yeah, but let's not forget the giant subway that tours through the center of town. That beast transports all the inkling sports teams across the country, (well, probably... I don't know how lore-friendly the art contest was supposed to be), and likely anyone else that wants to head out of the city. Considering how popular ink sports are (regardless of whether or not they're the most popular sport in the world) and how many tourists come into the city, that subway system has to be packed with creatures at all sorts of hours, (though it's still probably not enough revenue to be their biggest source of income.)

@ReedRGale: Would make sense considering they have the giant Zapfish lying around. I bet the Zapfish are like the city's mascot. It would certainly explain how the Octolings keep finding so many of the Zapfish plushies you rescue when you replay the single-player levels. :D
:0 I figure Inkopolis is like Tokyo, so they have an incredibly efficient rail system. So I guess I agree with transporation, though I wouldn't call it a main revenue source or attraction.

Also, I'm pretty sure Captain Cuttlefish makes the plushies? you can see some more plushes around his shack; I think he lets Agent 3 replace the zapfish they take with dolls.

Postwreck

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Postwreck
When I said transportation, I should have clarified. Yeah, public transport and such is pretty big, but I meant the automotive industry in general. There are a number of maps where you can see cars zooming by every which way. It's most prevalent in Flounder Heights, Urchin Underpass, and especially Moray Towers. I dunno, maybe it's not the biggest industry. There are a lot of thriving businesses in Splatoon, and I guess that's one that just stuck out a lot. Now, I have a question. I was thinking earlier, and I have a theory, but before I share it, does anyone know where or if it was officially stated that only teenage inklings have the ability to change forms?

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Now, I have a question. I was thinking earlier, and I have a theory, but before I share it, does anyone know where or if it was officially stated that only teenage inklings have the ability to change forms?
Mmm so you probably remember the whole infamous "inkling timeline" official art. I would check the SplatoonUS Tumblr archive. The Nintendo Direct also states that the inklings participating are 14.

However, you see sunken sea scroll of young Callie and Marie and they look much younger than 14, so I'd guess being able to transform into a squid is like puberty?? (I just typed that, dear god) Possibly a physical change that is somewhat gradual and comes to people at different ages.

I think we can assume they can transform into adult hood, too. We just didn't see that from Captain 'cause he's old.

Postwreck

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Postwreck
Mmm so you probably remember the whole infamous "inkling timeline" official art. I would check the SplatoonUS Tumblr archive. The Nintendo Direct also states that the inklings participating are 14.

However, you see sunken sea scroll of young Callie and Marie and they look much younger than 14, so I'd guess being able to transform into a squid is like puberty?? (I just typed that, dear god) Possibly a physical change that is somewhat gradual and comes to people at different ages.

I think we can assume they can transform into adult hood, too. We just didn't see that from Captain 'cause he's old.
Okay. Well, I think that as an inkling and even an octoling ages- as they change forms more and more- their two forms gradually meld into one. We know that Octavio is an octoling because of the sunken scrolls. We also know that Cuttlefish is an inkling because of the scrolls. However, neither of them look particularly human-like, nor do they look like a squid or an octopus. They both look somewhere in between. I think that eventually, they lose the ability to change because they become the in-between stage of transformation. If they have lifespans similar to humans, I would assume that the two forms would begin melding during an individual's late 40's, whereas they lose the ability in their early 60's.

If anyone wants to add to or dispute that, feel free.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777

I remember the direct saying they are AT LEAST 14, but I'm definitely sure they're not all 14. Considering how the Squid Sisters look similar to the Inklings due to the game's art style, even though they are likely young adults (check their stage talk, and you'll hear them talk about stuff like Marie being glad she doesn't own a condo in Bluefin Depot, which sounds too ridiculous for a kid to talk about), I think the Inklings' ages range from 14 (or maybe a little earlier, because everyone's body is different) to about 25.

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
I remember the direct saying they are AT LEAST 14, but I'm definitely sure they're not all 14. Considering how the Squid Sisters look similar to the Inklings due to the game's art style, even though they are likely young adults (check their stage talk, and you'll hear them talk about stuff like Marie being glad she doesn't own a condo in Bluefin Depot, which sounds too ridiculous for a kid to talk about), I think the Inklings' ages range from 14 (or maybe a little earlier, because everyone's body is different) to about 25.
Well, I meant the player inklings. I think they're all meant to be teens though.
I'm sure the Squid Sisters are a bit older, too.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Well, I meant the player inklings. I think they're all meant to be teens though.
I'm sure the Squid Sisters are a bit older, too.
I know you meant the player Inklings. I still disagree on the "they're all teens" part, though, especially since, as avatars, I think it should be up to us to determine their identities.

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
I know you meant the player Inklings. I still disagree on the "they're all teens" part, though, especially since, as avatars, I think it should be up to us to determine their identities.
:0 Fair enough.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
More stuff

Booyah Base's stock isn't representative of all inkling fashion. It's the only place that sells clothes with abilities in them, and approved weapons.

Octarian domes extend far beyond Octo Valley. The valley itself is really more of an entrance.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
My headcanons for in-game brands:

Clothing Brands:

SquidForce LLC, being the organization that manages ink sports (or the official clothing department of the actual organization, either or), is the first thing any squid thinks of when they think of brands sponsoring ink sports. They sell basic clothes as well as novelty clothing such as the Retro Sweat with Judd's pic on it. Their rivals are Takoroka, who specialize in tees and "Arrows" model shoes and are well known for their one-word slogan "Forward". Takoroka is also a strong contender for sponsoring ink sports, being second only to SquidForce themselves. Additionally, while SquidForce is staffed by Inkling expies of Nintendo's heores and heroines, Takoroka conversely has Inkling expies of their villains.

Tentatek (formerly Tentacle Technologies before they shifted their focus to clothes and shortened their name to match) is one of a few brands that tend to specialize in sports clothes. To a lesser extent, they also support leisure sports like tennis. Of course, they're doing this to capture new fans while not alienating those who once knew them for their technological products; one such effort is their decision to collaborate with Splat Basics (see below) to create the Tentatek Splattershot.

Splash Mob is essentially the Inkling version of Old Navy, what with their striped and varsity tops. Granted, the beanies they sell tend to give them a minor "ghetto" edge, but only barely.

Firefin and Skalop also specialize in sports clothes, though unlike Tentatek they don't do shoes. They tend to be rivals not just because of their different attitudes (Firefin is more in-your-face with their grimacing mascot FishFry, while Skalop is more easy-going and safety oriented going by their helmets), but also because Firefin's old mascot was a more menacing and awe-inspiring squid-genie, something that offended certain people who would go on to form Skalop as an alternative.

Forge is a brand that brings to mind serious professionalism in work and in play. As the game admits, they claim to be "the only name in high-quality sports gear." They specialize in headgear as they find it's the best way to express such non-nonsense dedication. Thus, they tend to have the more mature headgear on sale, such as the Stealth Goggles and Gas Mask. They even collaborated with Splat Basics for the high-end Forge Splattershot Pro. That said, their clothes are nothing to write home about; they only just started getting into that field, and it shows.

Krak-On, meanwhile, is a premier shoe brand whose shoes are well regarded for their variety and simplicity in design. As SquidForce doesn't specialize in shoes, they fill the gap by providing beginning turf warriors with their Cream Basics. Naturally, their footwear expertise has led them to collaborate with Splat Basics to form the Krak-On Splat Roller so that their shoes can get quite the workout.

Inkline, obviously, is the Inkling take on REI and similar outdoorsy clothing brands. This also extends to the abilities they'll tend to roll; their gear protects the wearer from the elements (5x Defense Up) while doing as little to harm the environment in return (1/2 Damage Up).

Rockenberg specializes in biker gear, though they sometimes branch out into other avenues. This emphasis on biker culture is no accident; they're actually a sister company to Rockenberg Motors, a premier manufacturer of motorcycles.

Zekko is well known for being popular with skaters and up-and-coming turf warriors (which is canon, according to Squid Research Lab). However, their diamond logo suggests also specialize in other "rough-around-the-edges" clothing such as denim jeans and khakis. Sadly, due to certain regulations set forth by SquidForce they never get to show those pants off as far as ink sports are concerned.

Finally, Zink is yet another sports-inspired brand with some emphasis on basketball. Thus, they compete heavily with similar brands like Firefin, Skalop and Tentatek. Like a few other brands, they've collaborated with Splat Basics to produce the (upcoming) Zink Mini Splatling. However, they also have to deal with accusations of pandering to the "hipster" crowd for some reason.

As for the specialty brands (amiibo, Cuttlegear, KOG, Famitsu and The SQUID GIRL), most of them don't see much success outside of ink sports due to being either highly topical, exclusive or otherwise obscure (as with KOG). Cuttlegear in particular was formed by Cap'n Cuttlefish not long after he exiled the Octarians to Octo Valley, knowing full well he would need to keep himself busy after the dissolution of the original Squidbeak Splatoon. Cuttlegear is also the only brand that does both gear and weaponry, though you'd have to be either a good friend of the Cuttlefish family (like the Shellendorfs) or someone extremely well-versed in ink sports to obtain their goods. Even then, the products are so exclusive they've pre-emptively put a restraining order on gear smugglers like Spyke to protect them from falling into the wrong hands. Nowadays, the company is run by one of Cuttlefish's children (though not the parents of either Squid Sister). (Also see below for the weapons.)​

Weapon Brands (based on this thread):

Splat Basics is the first brand that any Inkling starting out in turf wars will be exposed to. Thus, it's only natural that they make their weapons eye-catching and kid-friendly with their neon colors and basic names. They also have the majority share in alternate weaponry, such as the Splash Wall, Inkzooka and Inkstrike. Most significantly, they are open to collaborating with fashion brands to make sponsored variants on their weapons and so support those brands. Ironically, they're also the makers of the Splattershot Pro, a weapon that obviously caters to more professional tastes.​

War Deco is another turf war weapons manufacturer. Their specialty is a slick, dark aesthetic with powerful abilities such as the sheer damage of each shot from their Gal family of shooters or the homing capacity of their Seekers. That said, they have two classes of main weapons; Chevron sub-brand weapons have variants that are decked out in sequins, while Yellow Arrows sub-brand weapons have more restrained variants with simple titular yellow arrow stripes. They're also the first manufacturer an Inkling will come across for certain types of weapons such as the Slosher and Splatling.

Dolphin Turf Solutions (part of Dolphin Home and Turf) base their ink sport weapons on recycled household products, to the point where they actively encourage consumers of their home products to recycle their old used appliances to form weapons, including Sprinklers. Their commercials tend to have a retro 50s feel though with modern values in mind.

Custom Power is normally a manufacturer of high-grade tools and mechanisms meant for heavy-duty usage such as power tools and gas tanks, but they also have a branch for making ink weaponry based on their "tough-as-steel" aesthetic, especially in regards to their Suction Bombs and Killer Wails. While they are rivals with Teol Manufacturing, the latter has minimal interest in ink sports allowing the former something of an advantage. As an aside, they allowed Saltspray Rig to be converted into an arena rather than see it demolished after it fell into disuse.

Neo Construction (or Neo Works) is responsible for the actual construction of infrastructure around Inkopolis. Most importantly, they work closely with SquidForce to build and renovate ink sport arenas, as can be seen when they announced the closure of Urchin Underpass for restructuring. As for their ink weapons branch, they tend to favor steampunk and raygun gothic aesthetics as their weapons designer happened to be a big fan of those genres.

LGN (Les Guerriers Nouveau) is the ink weapons branch of the art supplies giant Les Artistes Nouveau. Fittingly, their weapons are oversized versions of their best-selling paintbrushes, while their Disruptor is essentially a foul-smelling version of their paint thinner meant to stun Inklings and enervate their performance. Thankfully, both sub-weapon and thinner are non-toxic and biodegradable; they learned their lesson after one unfortunate incident when an Inkling had to be hospitalized after taking on one too many Disruptors in a match.

Ammo Knights...well, in-game canon is actually generous with this weapons manufacturer. It was formed by Sheldon's grandfather Ammoses Shellendorf, it has ties to Cuttlegear just as Ammoses has ties to Cap'n Cuttlefish, and it's exclusively an ink weapons manufacturer. However, there is the headcanon that Ammo Knights also has sub-brands Kelp and New (as in New Squiffer), which are AK-exclusive takes on weapons from Splat Basics and Dolphin Turf Solutions, respectively. No word on what Custom Power thinks of the Custom Splattershot Jr., though.

And then there's Cuttlegear again. The weapons happen to be replicas of the actual weaponry from Octo Valley simply because the original Squidbeak Splatoon feared what would happen if they let the blueprints fall into the wrong hands. Hence, they left out the critical mechanisms that allowed them to even work like they do, forcing Sheldon to make do with making the Replica sub-brand based on similar Splat Basics weapons. And of course, canon already covers the Bamboozler 14s.

10/21/15: Added info about the upcoming Zink Mini Splatling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom