• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

World-building of Splatoon

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Inkline, obviously, is the Inkling take on REI and similar outdoorsy clothing brands. This also extends to the abilities they'll tend to roll; their gear protects the wearer from the elements (5x Defense Up) while doing as little to harm the environment in return (1/2 Damage Up).
Jeez, that entire post is amazing, but can I just say I loved this bit about Inkline? Gameplay-based HC (!!) about Inkline being environmentally friendly is so adorable.

Kevham

Inkling
NNID
Kevham
After reading some of @ReedRGale 's Fanfic; Nadir, I've been thinking.
Inklings have a 'connection' to their weaponry, and if something goes awry mid-match, they self-splat and exit the match due to an error with their connection to their gun.
Similarly, an Inkling can self-splat if something were to happen mid-match, such as Falling from a great height or Falling in water. Inklings may not be able to swim, but I doubt they have that violent a reaction to it. Also, They superjump from some fairly big heights with no repercussions. They main reason they'd self-splat after is because they're put in a bad position to keep battling, considering that they're out of the arena and also 20 floors of a parking complex away from said arena.

I'm basically just tying Connection Errors into an RP sense while adding to the whole 'inklings can self-splat' thing

Last edited:

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
Well...I came up with this a while ago and wasn't sure if it's too much of world-building, but I'll post it anyways.

You know how, in the Splatoon direct, they mentioned Inklings are able to change their eye color and skin tone, and how someone else inputted that they can change gender at will? Well that got me thinking. If all Octarians can change genders, at least, then that means that what we see in Octo Valley in no way accounts to the whole race. You know why? Because it's all a military standard.

Octolings can be male or female, can change skin tones and eye color, and can wear what they want outside of the military. Inside the military, however, they all look the same, as per standards set by Octavio. This also applies to the other Octarians, although I feel like those Octarians have to be in the military and aren't represented in normal Octarian culture; Octarian breeding farms? Military schools? We may never know.

But, in conflict with @ReedRGale 's headcanon about stone-age Octarians, I believe they are much more advanced than Inklings. By the looks of things, the Great Octoweapons are actually robots - which suggests biotechnology may be in use. Then there's the Suckerfish and the Octostamps, and the strangely high-technology Octogoggles that I assume are used to enhance aiming and sight for the elite Octarian forces (or just Octolings, if you will).

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
@VeryButter: Wait, someone inputted that Inklings can change their gender? What do you mean by that? That it's official, or someone simply has it as their headcanon? Because I can't find any proof of canonically being able to change gender, only skin and eye color.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
I'm gonna be hopping onboard the band wagon about the 'Stone age' Octarians

I don't think they would be that far down in tech and power. I say this mainly because as @VeryButter's post said, their Octoweapons appear to be a merge of Octo and Machine, this is also evidenced further by the Octogoggles thanks to VeryButter for bring this up. Octarians appear to use alot of technology to protect their weaknesses, from the Inkling anatomy sheet (I feel sorry) they appear to be somewhat jealous of the Inklings and (most likely) subsequently their stronger soldiers, the Octolings. The Octarians seem to be using technology for almost everything, cleaning unwanted Ink, enhancing their soldiers and fighting wars for them (Octoweapons) to even housing their citizens.

One of my own headcanons
Why don't the Octarians use other sources of power? The one that comes to mind immediately is Geothermal Power, due to the fact their underground and probably possess some mighty digging tools couldn't they just dig deeper and construct a geo power plant? The Ink-based life forms (Inklings and Octarians) couldn't be that affected by pressures as a human or one of the anthromorphic marine life, which would involve a horrible end. Octarians have nothing stopping them from using geothermal power, so what could be preventing them from getting Gs? My most logical guess is thry don't know how to, either that or it's some ancient humans telling them to bugger off and find their own. They could be just for gameplay purposes as well.

@DarkGold777 That's something someone else posted, it's capable in reality, with their abilities of being Ink things. I wouldn't call it a stretch that they could change genders, I just don't think its socially acceptable to do in the world of Splatoon, marriage and all that. Think about the Squid Sisters go from that to the Squid Brathas... eugh.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
@Rustic: Or maybe some point in evolution from animals to people, squids lost the ability to switch genders, much like how they lost their ability to apparently swim in water liquid. It'd explain why the Direct outright didn't state that Inklings can't change gender when they easily could have along with the eyes and skin.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
That's something someone else posted, it's capable in reality, with their abilities of being Ink things. I wouldn't call it a stretch that they could change genders, I just don't think its socially acceptable to do in the world of Splatoon, marriage and all that. Think about the Squid Sisters go from that to the Squid Brathas... eugh.
You're eugh. Rule 63 shall conquer all!

Also, why would it not be socially acceptable to change sex? What would marriage have to do with it?

For that matter, do we have any evidence that Inklings even get married!? We're kinda just assuming that, and it's probably a safe enough bet, but still.

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
It wasn't stated in the direct, but this genderfluid headcanon is supported by the fact that you can change these aspects of your inkling in game. The direct doesn't state a lot of things; that's the point of this thread.

I think all inklings and octolings innately have this ability, but since gender is a matter of identity, they mostly stick with the gender they identify with most. So Squid Sisters are sisters by choice. They wouldn't change that because they like being female, also they're kind of stuck with the music group name. And that'd apply to a lot of inklings probably.

I don't know about being socially acceptable or not. If they can all change gender, I don't think it would be weird to them or at least it would be more commonplace. Also love is love. It's fair to say that being open about switching genders could be an evolving concept in culture, still with residual stigma (as to mirror our own world) but....

Eh, when i'm writing my fanfic, actual inkfluid-genderfluid squid kids ftw

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
I just don't think its socially acceptable to do in the world of Splatoon
maybe that explains why Jack is considered un-fresh

Eh, when i'm writing my fanfic, actual inkfluid-genderfluid squid kids ftw
yes. very much.

Also something: changing genders could, in theory, allow homosexual/lesbian relationships to have children - that is, if it gives them the fertility. I would say though that switching genders too much might actually affect fertility, which is why a lot of squidkids don't do it.

Of course, this whole thread is speculation, so nothing is true, unless the Squid Research Lab gets back to me. We may never know.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
Wait who's Jack? @VeryButter

Do we have any evidence that Inklings even get married!? We're kinda just assuming that, and it's probably a safe enough bet, but still.
I'm assuming that due to the fact they do a pretty good job at mirroring our society, if your looking for solid evidence I would say... nothing just nothing. Going off a hunch with marriage, I would say that Inklings are probably sent to hatcheries to insure the safety of the Inkling's young, an egg would be far more vulnerable to dangers due to its vulnerability. Which might explain the lack of adults, if it doesn't I dunno, you're gonna have to wait for more Splatoon games then. Or you know, Turf Wars Players have their own housing and that separates them from adults (EX Parents, guardians or relatives). Back onto the subject, I would assume as well that Turf Wars might be a reason for Inkling's love. Who knows this is all theories that could be swiftly demolished by a launch of a sequel or spinoff.

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
@Rustic Jack is a character my brother made that changes gender, clothes and (I think) weapons every day, his only consistency being the Squid Girl Tunic. Her personality quirk is that he hates consistency.

If you need any more questions, use PMs - Jack is a bit off-topic here.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
But, in conflict with @ReedRGale 's headcanon about stone-age Octarians, I believe they are much more advanced than Inklings.
Quick reply since I was tagged, I don't think they're stone aged and in fact agree with you. I just think that their society is crumbling because the known power-source (zapfish) are being withheld from them. Doesn't matter how smart you are--if you don't have access to the technology you can't keep moving forward with it.

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Something I've imagined is that an inkling's fourteenth birthday is sort of... a special birthday for them, like a Quinceañera. The birthday would mark a step into adulthood, and maybe it'd be customary to have a large party, too!

From that one sunken scroll featuring young Callie and Marie, I'd imagine that most inklings would have a mostly developed humanoid form before then, so this date is more of a rite of passage before inklings start ink battling.

I wonder about other traditions or special days in Splatoon-verse. Squidmas is a thing apparently, and Splatfest is pretty much just an excuse to party. Maybe there was a festival or something connected to Calamari Inkantation?

TACarbuncle

Inkling Commander
NNID
TACarbuncle
Disregard this please. I apologize for being an idiot

Last edited:

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
@ReedRGale

Hey Reed. Think you can give us a short example for the Sports Club's activity? I think I get what we need to do, but I'm not 100% yet. An example would make it much easier to understand.
I am almost sure this is in the wrong thread. You're looking for the Zapfish Academy OOC.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
Little thing that popped in my head about the merging of both forms, this could get dark... Avert your eyes from this post if you don't like it, just a heads-up.

If enough physical or mental damage can be done to an Inkling or Octarian, could they lose the ability to change forms? For example getting wrecked by a steam pipe, sustaining enough damage would disable their ability to swap back and forth between forms. Trapping them in whatever form they were last in. Discuss with meh?

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Little thing that popped in my head about the merging of both forms, this could get dark... Avert your eyes from this post if you don't like it, just a heads-up.

If enough physical or mental damage can be done to an Inkling or Octarian, could they lose the ability to change forms? For example getting wrecked by a steam pipe, sustaining enough damage would disable their ability to swap back and forth between forms. Trapping them in whatever form they were last in. Discuss with meh?
Is this like, a theory specifically/ has to do with Octavio? 'Cause for a supposed "male octoling, we never see him change forms and it'd be interesting if he were stuck that way.

I don't know, but I like the idea of a steam pipe or such damaging an ink/octoling permanently, since we know Octavio has that scar on his arm.

I was curious what you were thinking when you meant, "mental damage " disabling their forms.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
I was curious what you were thinking when you meant, "mental damage " disabling their forms.
To be honest, I wasn't sure about that mental. Go shoo shoo to it and kick it under the non-existent carpet. But if you want to really know, I thought about illnesses/defects affecting brains and the such.

Onto Octavio's. I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with him, he appears to a healthy Octarian (possible Octoling) man that is just...good. Aside from that X-Scar, which I believe to afflict anyone who would pilot an Octoweapon. Maybe that's why we see giant tentacles emerge out of it and have the general characteristic of the 'X-Scar'.

I'm not a doctor so I wouldn't know about it specifically, but if our Multi-Limb successors are water-solubles I'm pretty sure exposure to water would be extremely harmful to them, Steam or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom