• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Worst ability in your opinion and why?

BirdAndreo

Senior Squid
QR because it doesn't allow you to support teammates and being useful for the objective. You can't revenge kill, you can't kill rainmaker/power clam holders, can't splat to stop the tower or else you'd lose its effect. I still have to understand if assist kills remove as well QR effect can someone confirm?

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Surprised to see the low amounts of quik respawn mentioned here.
It’s pretty much there for players who are just getting their feet wet, it doesn’t have anything to add for players that are even somewhat expirenced.
It may have a niche in turf or zones but still..., better to use near any other anilty in it’s place.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So a worst abilities thread
1.Haunt it....doesn't work there is no real scenario where haunt proves useful, you can literally get the exact same results using thermal ink and (though niche) has plenty of uses.
2. Cold blooded it is awful it offers minimal value to the overall game, it honestly feels like they wanted echolocator to be back in the game and tbh they should have kept it. But due to it's removal many of these vision items cold blooded is useless

But since I like to defend stuff other people view as "bad" here are my opinions towards 2 of the worst abilities that I believe can have some value

Respawn punisher: from personal experience this is a risk with minimal reward especially towards long range weapons, but imo it is great on a slayer weapon that can gain special quickly.
I've been using it on vanilla dulies mainly cause I can get a lot of splats while Dying very few times still high risk but there is more reward this way.
(Still I think it need a patch to not be so deterimental to the user or at very least more impactful to the enemy)

Cold blooded: "wut??? Didn't you just?" Yes,Yes I did

Don't get me wrong overall this ability is awful, but having even 1 sub reduces the length of vision point sensor and ink mine alot
It has no value in stacking but for 1 sub slot I don't think it is all that bad.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Respawn punisher: from personal experience this is a risk with minimal reward especially towards long range weapons, but imo it is great on a slayer weapon that can gain special quickly.
I've been using it on vanilla dulies mainly cause I can get a lot of splats while Dying very few times still high risk but there is more reward this way.
(Still I think it need a patch to not be so deterimental to the user or at very least more impactful to the enemy)
Glad to see someone defend it. It's really risky, but nobody is stopping me from using it on the E-Liter and other charger weps in Turf for rigorous and scientific testing to determine its viability in high level ranked play shiz 'n' giggles and the bottom line for me, personally, is, that when you're able to avoid getting splatted a lot and have a very positive K/D on average, and pair it with at least one sub of special saver to help with the special loss punishment it's really a fun thing to use at times. Not sure if I have the guts to use it in league play though. One thing I can definitely agree on is that it's definitely not among the worst abilities to use, but definitely more situational and risky than your average safety-net abilities, or idk, ink saver and stuff.

So you watched that GG gab video as well?
Ayups. All of them made my day. They've been very accurate for me. :D

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Thermal Ink is only relegated to a few weapons, and even then it's not a mandatory ability. But it's super easy to land that one shot and then you can get quick glimpses of where they're going if you couldn't finish them off. Considering the weapons that can use it effectively (Heavy/Jet) don't have sensors to begin with it might be helpful if you'd need that extra spot of awareness. It tracks for 6 seconds, which is a lot for a single ability!

Really wish it'd work with blaster indirects though, so it won't just be a wasted slot for an entire weapon class.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I'm convinced that Haunt is the worst main ability as of right now. The best argument I heard against it, and forgive me but I can't seem to find the original poster, was that it promotes a "lone wolf" style of play in a team based game. If someone kills you, they appear with the thermal ink effect for a little while and only for you, encouraging you to seek them out and kill them back. You can maybe justify its use in a team based game, but even then there's better uses for your limited slots.

My major objection to it is that even when it works, it doesn't work for you:

If someone kills me, it's usually a charger, a jet/heavy, or a stealthy roller/sploosh/dapple. The first three weapons are long range and couldn't care less if people know where they are. Everyone knows where they are anyway, almost at all times. As for the stealthy weapons, having the thermal ink effect applied to them doesn't matter because they're probably sharking around and won't show up; they only show up if they're standing up and behind terrain of some kind. Off the top of my head the only weapons that Haunt would work well against is the squiffer or goo tuber, because they tend to be standing up to charge, they can be in a variety of places (usually behind scenery charging), and their range is not justifiable for camping.

Haunt used to be a good ability, providing uses for backline weapons. If I was playing defence and got killed by a flanker, my whole team was alerted. Now it just promotes aggression that'll ultimately get you killed again.

As for stackable abilities, probably cold blooded. It's just hard to justify its use with so few meta weapons having point sensors and with Echolocator being a thing of the past.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
Thermal Ink is ok, and sometimes it helps me keep tabs on where people are, but Haunt is by far the worst main ability.

In such a team based game, having someone's position told only to one person is quite useless. At least Point Sensors show the entire team where someone is.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of Comeback. I tried it once, and it gave me the mindset to rush the objective and die again.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Thermal Ink is ok, and sometimes it helps me keep tabs on where people are, but Haunt is by far the worst main ability.

In such a team based game, having someone's position told only to one person is quite useless. At least Point Sensors show the entire team where someone is.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of Comeback. I tried it once, and it gave me the mindset to rush the objective and die again.
Comeback may only last 20 seconds, but it increases mobility (among other things) for that time. I find it synergises with squid beakons very well, because these let you get back into the fray pretty quickly and capitalize on those mobility perks. In addition, it gives you ink saver and recovery boosts, meaning you can replace the beakons at a significantly reduced cost.

In general I tend to use it with close-range weapons that die pretty often, particularly the Dapple Dualies. My main objective is to rush to mid at the start of a match, place a beakon nearby in a safe location, then go for the objective. As soon as I die the first time, I come back and place a few more beakons in that 20 seconds.

You don't necessarily have to use Comeback's effects for aggression; you can use them pretty well for support too as necessary.

the

Inkling Commander
Comeback may only last 20 seconds, but it increases mobility (among other things) for that time. I find it synergises with squid beakons very well, because these let you get back into the fray pretty quickly and capitalize on those mobility perks. In addition, it gives you ink saver and recovery boosts, meaning you can replace the beakons at a significantly reduced cost.

In general I tend to use it with close-range weapons that die pretty often, particularly the Dapple Dualies. My main objective is to rush to mid at the start of a match, place a beakon nearby in a safe location, then go for the objective. As soon as I die the first time, I come back and place a few more beakons in that 20 seconds.

You don't necessarily have to use Comeback's effects for aggression; you can use them pretty well for support too as necessary.
This is a good idea! I should try that with the octobrush nouveau

AC1

Inkster Jr.
Haunt is not the worst ability. Haunt last for 26 seconds unless that affected player dies before the time is up. The purpose of haunt is to allow you to know the enemy location. Haunt work well on certain stages.

Thermal ink is not the worst ability. Thermal ink last for 6 seconds. Thermal ink work well on certain stages.

Worst ability should be quick respawn or respawn punisher (depend on play style).

the

Inkling Commander
Haunt is not the worst ability. Haunt last for 26 seconds unless that affected player dies before the time is up. The purpose of haunt is to allow you to know the enemy location. Haunt work well on certain stages.

Thermal ink is not the worst ability. Thermal ink last for 6 seconds. Thermal ink work well on certain stages.

Worst ability should be quick respawn or respawn punisher (depend on play style).
I think worst is def quick respawn. Respawn punisher is a main ability exclusively, so at least you know what you’re getting into. Whereas rolling quick respawn on gear is like catching a sea bass in animal crossing. Getting a superbonus of QR chunks from salmon run is like catching a sea bass in animal crossing when you thought it was something super rare.

And like you said, Respawn Punisher has its niche in certain playstyles (and I know that one @Ansible likes to use it as a training weight of sorts)

Whereas quick respawn... I think I saw someone say that competitive teams sometimes use it to exclusively paint and jump back into the fray, but if you’re in solo queue QR doesn’t allow that type of coordination. So I’d say RP beats it out in terms of flexibility, if only a little bit.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Getting a superbonus of QR chunks from salmon run is like catching a sea bass in animal crossing when you thought it was something super rare.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves; the abilities may be useless but the chunks are certainly not. If I have 3-star gear that I want to upgrade that also has a favourable brand, I can just fill those three empty slots with something like QR, special saver, and cold blooded, then use snails to roll real abilities onto it. -Saves me from having to screw around in turf wars or play ranked with un-upgraded gear.

the

Inkling Commander
Let's not get ahead of ourselves; the abilities may be useless but the chunks are certainly not. If I have 3-star gear that I want to upgrade that also has a favourable brand, I can just fill those three empty slots with something like QR, special saver, and cold blooded, then use snails to roll real abilities onto it. -Saves me from having to screw around in turf wars or play ranked with un-upgraded gear.
You......

I like the way u think

Nerdbird

Pro Squid
I agree to an extent, but for new players who might not have actually worked out their preferred controls ( or even what the controls are ;)) quick respawn is an ok safety net.
But honestly I think comeback is better as an ability

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
Ok I’ll admit, I only use cold blooded because I like the painters mask.

But from what I hear, haunt is pretty atrocious. I mean I never used it in the first game. But at least it was usable.

I don’t like stealth jump anymore. Unless I’ve missed a buff in an update, doesn’t the marker still show for either long range people or short range people? I understand they had to nerf it from sploon 1 because of the notorious strategy, but I put more blame on QR for that and they made the ability practically useless.

BirdAndreo

Senior Squid
Making haunt work like back in Splatoon 1 would be an indirect buff for cold blooded. Also it should work against new Beacons function and robo bombs too

Reactions: the

the

Inkling Commander
Making haunt work like back in Splatoon 1 would be an indirect buff for cold blooded. Also it should work against new Beacons function and robo bombs too
I would honestly be overjoyed if they made haunt like its splat 1 version (even if they didnt bring back the damage/defense (or i guess bomb defense in this game) buff while tracked. It would be SO much more useful, and yes, would encourage cold blooded use. I agree that cold blooded should affect beakons, but idk how they could make it effective against autobombs because their area of affect is shown when they land. And if any ability would prevent one from being located altogether it would probably be ninja squid, since it’s not a stackable ability. (But imo NS doesnt rly need any buff SINCE ITS ONE OF THE ABILITIES THEY LEFT ALONE AND DIDNT RUIN)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom