• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Your worst maps for Splat Zones?

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
It depends on which weapons I'm using, but I can say that saltspray seems to be the map that I have the most trouble on overall. When I have the jet squlecher that map is fine, but I've found that when I'm using the roller and have teammates with the squelcher, they have no idea what they're doing. They'll take the lower path into the zone and die without accomplishing anything and I'll have no cover from teammates. I just started using the roller in ranked this morning, and every time I played on saltspray with it I lost, I could do decently well on the other maps. I probably just need more practice with the roller though, I did well at one point in a match where I managed to flank and get up on the enemy area overlooking the zone. I hid there and killed them when they tried to climb up. Didn't really do much for my team in the end, but hey, new ideas.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Port Mackerel. Hard to keep control of both zones especially if you don't have inkstrike.

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
Port Mackerel is a ok map for me, I just trust my teammates to take the enemy zone while I defend my zone with my life. I can take two people sometimes in those narrow areas.

If a teammate sticks around that's fine too. But if the majority is on the first base, I wait for a wave of enemies and THEN I leave.

Works at my rank, don't know about b+ and stuff.

DakotaBonez

Full Squid
Saltspray Rig. Even in Turf War, I hate it. If I don't wall that top very well, it's pretty much game right there. Chargers will cream me at practically every angle possible and two-three other inklings will ensure to giving me a hard time.
Seeing lots of hate on saltspray rig from close range weapon users. Alternatively, urchin underpass is the bane of us ranged users.
My advice is to get to the top of saltspray rig at all costs, camp their so that your team can jump to you, unfortunately without voice chat you'll have to resort to mashing "C'mon! C'mon!"

Seriously whichever team gets to the top (where that big red crane is) can easily dominate the map, I mean you've got all that cover behind the crates, and you can just walk over to the zone, as opposed to climbing up the sides or taking the two elevators.

Not sure what to do in turf war though...

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
Seeing lots of hate on saltspray rig from close range weapon users. Alternatively, urchin underpass is the bane of us ranged users.
My advice is to get to the top of saltspray rig at all costs, camp their so that your team can jump to you, unfortunately without voice chat you'll have to resort to mashing "C'mon! C'mon!"

Seriously whichever team gets to the top (where that big red crane is) can easily dominate the map, I mean you've got all that cover behind the crates, and you can just walk over to the zone, as opposed to climbing up the sides or taking the two elevators.

I guess I would consider to that. Though, the T part right in the middle of the map might be more ideal cover since you want to keep that zone in your ink for most control lost. As long they have no chargers on both sides, it'll be a bit easier with your method.

Usually with Urchin Underpass (looking left to right), you want to prioritized being either top or bottom pathways to the center. The bottom path is a little safer but offers less view of the zone and center. However, its ideal to rid of other Chargers near the fenced path or countering Rollers/Inkbrushers trying to cover the zone or going up the ramp to ambush your teammates. The top one has a better view of the center and can cover a lot of zone and the opposing team. But keep a view of ink below you so you don't get ambushed by people jumping on the wall beneath the fence. If you're a Charger or E-liter 3k, generally stay away from the choke point coming out of your spawn point. It's a sure fire way for Rollers and Inkbrush users getting the jump on you and wasting time covering the splat zone.

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear

Saltspray is actually one of my favorite maps. I've just started to have trouble with it now that I'm essentially forcing myself to use all the different weapons in ranked. As a roller I want to get back to the crane and spam my beacons all over, but that can be hard without my teammates covering me. As a jet squelcher I want to camp out on top of the towers between there and the zone so I can see and hit everyone in range.

Honestly, in turf war saltspray map is similar to ranked, except the bottom half comes into play some. The top portion is still worth the most points, so camping around where the zone would be in splat zones is a good strategy for holding onto most of the map.

As someone who primarily uses the jet squelcher, I can completely agree that urchin underpass is the worst for ranged weapons. It's very limited in terms of camping spots, and the only good ones either leave you exposed to fire from short range weapons, or provide a super restricted view of the battle.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
My worst map is Urchin Underpass i guess~ Too much Chaos in the Middle area ~q~

Chiiab

Shy person
NNID
Chiiab
Walleye Warehouse for sure, I don't think I've won a single time on that map in Splat Zones or Turf Wars... :(

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
Walleye Warehouse for sure, I don't think I've won a single time on that map in Splat Zones or Turf Wars... :(
In splat zones, try camping off to the sides of the zone and shooting in from there. I find it's a lot easier to stay alive and allow teammates to jump to you when you're over there. In turn war, it really depends on what weapons you like to use. If you have a ranged weapon try to get the height advantage, if you have a roller or short range splattershot then just try to paint as much as possible and evade/splat enemies when you see them.

Chiiab

Shy person
NNID
Chiiab
In splat zones, try camping off to the sides of the zone and shooting in from there. I find it's a lot easier to stay alive and allow teammates to jump to you when you're over there. In turn war, it really depends on what weapons you like to use. If you have a ranged weapon try to get the height advantage, if you have a roller or short range splattershot then just try to paint as much as possible and evade/splat enemies when you see them.
Is the splatterscope a bad choice for that?

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Mine is definitely Skatepark. It's the only map where it's literally impossible to get a 100-0 win going, as the splat zones as so small. Every match here is most-stressful.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I am not a fan of the Port, since it just requires so much coordination to get the ball rolling on this map. And with randoms, being coordinated can be difficult, depending on your luck. Between that map and the Mall.

Last edited:

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
Is the splatterscope a bad choice for that?
It's not great for that strategy since you want the high ground. When I used the elitr 3k on walleye I would camp along the back hallway and poke my head out on top of the fence flooring to shoot. There's also the crates with the planks on top of them, but enemies can easily get up to you there and shoot from below.

I haven't used the splatterscope on walleye, so I can't say for sure how well it'll work with different spots, but I'll definitely give it a try and see how it goes.

fenrir vii

Inkster Jr.
NNID
fenrir_vii
I don't know if this is just my luck or what, but any map where you have to control 2 zones ends up bad for me. i'll generally mostly control one of them, and hope my team controls the other... but it never seems to work out that way.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
It all depends on my weapon. I main with Aerospray MG. The one I dislike using it the most in is Skatepark for ranked. Although I really like using the roller for it

Kelly

Inkling
NNID
KellyMinelly
Definitely Saltspray Rig, just never seem to do very well on that map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom