Zapfish Academy [IC Thread: What's in a Club?]

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
It's near the end of the first day of school and finally everyone is getting to find some breathing room. Syllibi are in the hands of every student, packets that detail the little bits of every class. Some trash them immediately, still in denial that school has begun. Some read them fervently determined to memorize every little detail.

And as everyone files into their last class of the day, an elective required for anyone to graduate, communications. Many put off the class because damn, is it annoying to have to give speeches. Some resigned themselves to getting the class out of the way early. Some put it off until the very end. Whatever the reason, freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors alike all filed into the class one by one.

Mumbles of "is this the right classroom?" and murmurs of agreement drifted through the air as one by one, people took seats and already preemptively started forming cliques. Groups of people that had gone to school together and the exclamation of "you're taking this class too!" could be heard more than once as tables got dragged around the room into clusters.

And the only reason people could do that was because there was no teacher in the room to regulate these teens. Where was the teacher? As time went on, people started to wonder whether this was the right room. But then, ten minutes late, a middle-aged inkling, maybe in her late twenties, with her tentacles clipped up in a bun above her head rushed into the room. "Sorry, sorry, sorry!" she said as she came into the room, "so sorry I'm late oh kraken I--" she took a deep breath in, and out then as she exhaled put her huge stack of papers and books onto the teacher's desk.

She seemed to collect herself as she said, "hello everyone, I'm Ms. Caligo and I'll be your communication's teacher for the semester! How is everyone doing today?" Pep and spirit was met with a resounding "eh" from everyone else. Most of them were just ready to get out and enjoy the rest of the day.

"Um, here in Intro to Communications we try to emphasize being able to talk in all sorts of situations," she continued, "public speaking to a group of people, public speaking to a group over electronic means, one on one communication, the works. Um," she gathered up a stack of blue papers from her pile and started going around the now mostly clustered room of kids, handing out the syllabus, "I'm a little late, so I'll cut to the chase. I wanted to spend this class with a whole 'getting to know you' thing. You know. Games. Stuff, get us all together."

After she finished handing out the papers, which were met with responses varying from paper airplanes to folders in binders, she went on, "so, everyone take your chairs and form a circle. I know you just moved those desks," she rolled her eyes, "but you're probably going to need them out of the way."

It took about three minutes, but the group, grumbled and about three students actually managed to push apart the desks while other students, just angry they had to move, picked up their chairs and made something resembling a circle. Ms. Caligo set herself at the end nearest the door and peppily said, "okay, now, um, let's all go around and say our names." And one by one, everyone mumbled their name out or shouted or whatever they felt like. There were all kinds.

"Now... I'd like to promote a free discussion. I won't do much, but when I pop in, it'll be to get someone who isn't participating much to give a little bit. Now, whoever would like to begin, may begin. Just tell us about yourself."

((So everyone knows, if you want to finish the scene, end the post with ##Vote: End Scene and that'll be that. For now, hang out for the next two weeks. Scene changes on the 25th of August))

Robikku Squid

Just a squid havin' some fun! :3
NNID
RobikkuScratch
Vinyl had a feeling that things were gonna get a whole lot more dull before they got any better - seriously, she could communicate just fine, right?
So why the kelp did she even need to be here?

Well, sometimes the best thing to do in a situation was to attack it head on, and thus this is what spurs on Vinyls hand to raise in the air - at least...giving a small pause before doing so, at least to not give any appearance of giving any cares about what the teacher had actually asked. Sure, she KINDA might have to care a little because NO inkling really wants to fail an' such...but this was about her getting this out of the way now moreso than actually doing what she was told specifically.

" Names Vinyl...simple enough to remember, right? " she drawls with a smirk, looking around the room momentarily - not a whole bunch of folks she was familiar with...nothing she wasn't prepared for, though, since her ol' crew had wound up going in various other places. Starting again from scratch was a pain in the rear tentacles. " I s'pose you can call me DJ or whatever, your choice - But don't go askin' me to make jams with ya...I work at my own pace. Havin' said that, I'll probably be around someplace doin' a little listening...if there's a school radio gig, I'll probably take a look into it so you folks can get a better listen. "

The inkling looks around again - now that she got a better look, looked like there was an interesting l'il crowd of critters in here...maybe something interesting would come of this afterall. " Anyhow, Uh... " she shrugs, leaning back in her chair with a small stretch. " Yeah, I'm done - unless questions are a thing, I guess. "

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Whatever. Why was something like communications required? Kbot wasn't exactly sure, but he did hear tales of a time when a different species had "Public Speaking" as a true elective, not a requirement. Even then it was only for one semester. Oh, well. Just because it wasn't his favorite didn't mean he wasn't going to try.

"Nice to meet you, Vinyl." Kbot said politely. "My real name's Thomas, but I go by Kbot. Don't ask why, I just do. I'll generally speak up when there's only a topic that I'm interested in. I'm not exactly the sociable guy, as you might be able to judge by these." Kbot said, as he pulls off and holds up his Retro Specs, thinking that it was obvious around the room what the nerdy-guy stereotype was. After scanning the room, he decided to go on with "So, that's a bit about me. Only a nerdy guy who tries hard around here." And that was that. He didn't get that much backlash, somewhat surprisingly.

Maybe I'll meet a few new friends around here he thought. A risky thought, but a thought nonetheless. A small silence came afterwards, just like what normally happens in class discussions. Nothing new.

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
Nyron quietly sighed. Why, exactly, do we even need to take this class? Not all of us want to become public speakers.

Seeing as nobody else was speaking, Nyron decided to go next.

"Well...hello," Nyron began, "I'm Nyron, but a lot of people call me Ron or Ronnie. I like to...draw, and read. I'm an aspiring artist, and uh...yeah."

Nyron simply looked down after speaking, hoping someone else would speak up to draw the attention away from her.

lonelyrollingsquid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Selfcat
Communications? Krys yawned, she could communicate just fine. This was going to be another one of those bludge-type subjects wasn't it? She listened to the teachers explanation halfheartedly and only zoned in halfway through Vinyl's introduction. After she finished the boy next to her introduced himself as Kbot, then Nyron.
As she finished speaking there was a short silence and she took it upon herself to break it.

"My turn, huh? Well my names Kris, but you can call me the girl of your dreams" she joked, shooting a wink at Vinyl, who happened to be sitting across the circle from her.

"I'll be here all year" unfortunately "so if you ever need any help, I'll be around". She settled back into her seat, waiting for the next speaker.

Last edited:

Topazrekerboy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
janspinoy
Rhin really didn't need this class, he felt like he was back in preschool again, before the discussion even started, Rhin popped on his headphones and put on the Squid Sisters song and started listening to it. Once he realized it was silent again, he snapped them off. Hey, what else is there to do than actually not get in trouble?

"What's the haps playas? Names Rhin, call me anything cool. Love doing turf wars instead of being here. You probably know me, as I'm popular nowadays. Your welcome to do some ink battles with me, just write a note with your ID, put it on my desk and we can switch so we can play some Splat Zones er something sometime."

Rhin said as he sat back, waiting for the next person to respond before snapping his headphones back on.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
"I could wipe the floor with you scrub," an irritable looking Inkling said, in response to Rhin. "I've seen you play; you aren't bad but you run into something you don't expect once and you lose so hard. So brittlely inflexible. Why would I want something like your ID?" The boy had introduced himself earlier as Tlaloc and after his outburst, he sat back down, a sour look on his face. Something said that he didn't want to be here, but for some reason he was paying razor-sharp attention to everything going on at the same time.

"Now now, Mr. Raine calm down," the teacher really was trying to keep the peace before it exploded. "Let's hear from, uh, anyone else?"

((Couldn't resist. :p))

Last edited:

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
'Well, crap.' Parzival thought. "What am I supposed to do, say 'My parents died.' or something? Oh no, I'm up...

"Um, hi, I'm Parzival and um, I live with my friend Pause. Don't ask why or it'll get too personal. So yeah. That's a little about myself. I don't really recognize most of you, but I don't think I really want to be friends with some of you." Parzival looked at Rhin for a second. "I think I'll get back to my seat now." Parzival hurried back to his seat and waited for the next person.

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Jennie leaned back in her chair , crossing her legs and fiddled with the dog-tags that hung around her neck. Mmm, this class looked lively, she thought, pursing her lips. Eugh, no at all.

The people seated around her fell into categories of popular, nerd or wall flower. And not a single one seemed enthusiastic about this class. Not that she was one to talk; enthusiasm was not her strong suit.

But she was here because she had heard interesting things; a suggestion from a friend. She was genuinely hoping this would be more than a free period. Surprise me, communications.

She dropped her tags and sat up. "I'm Jennie."

"I like skateboarding, I like cardgames and I'm a fan of ... mm ...jewelry, coins. Things like that. A bit of a collector you, might say." She leaned forward and looked into the eyes of anyone not shying away. "But I, for one, look forward to this class."

With that she leaned back again.

Last edited:

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Kbot had so many things going through his mind, trying to make judgments about who was going to take this class seriously and who wasn't.

Vinyl almost seemed to take this as a joke. At least, she came across that way.
Ron seemed to be the shy type. Hard telling what she'll do.
Kris is totally going to be the jokester. I can already tell.
Rhin seems pretty full of himself. I'd actually like to see him on the battlefield.
Tlaloc......seems like the person who would accuse everyone? Heck if I know what he'll do
Parzival might try to take this seriously. Seems slightly shy or intimidated.
Jennie definetley shut the whole class up. Very quickly. She'll probably get dissapointed down the line somewhere.

Nobody wanted to talk after Jennie, so he decided to pipe up again.

What he did decide to say was "Looks like we've got quite the variety of people around here. Seems like a nice group of people thus far" excluding Rhin and Tlaloc. "Hopefully we'll get to know eachother a little better than a couple of sentences."

Last edited:

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
As Parzival looked around the room, he noticed nobody was looking at him. "Finally, I can breathe easy," Parzival thought. "What's Jennie's problem? I look forward to this class too. I mean how hard can it be, all you can say in a Turf War is 'Booyah!' and 'C'mon!'

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
Nyron listened to the other introductions after her, but a frown was plastered onto her face as she listened to both Rhin's introduction and Tlaloc's rude comment on it. She wasn't much a fan of people like them...

After everyone had stopped speaking, Nyron sighed, pulling out the book that she had been reading before the teacher entered the classroom and opened it, fixing her eyes on the words as she continued to read.

(( @KTKres Ronnie's a girl :p ))

Last edited:

Topazrekerboy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
janspinoy
Rhin plopped open his book too, but payed absolutely no attention to it. Thankfully, he didn't hear Tlaloc's comment, otherwise it would've gotten ugly.

"Man"
Rhin thought "how do I put this in a not-so-mean way? The people here seem very...bland. I guess most of them are either private or just not saying what's on their mind. I can totally relate though. I guess I should open a conversation." Rhin thought as he tried to break the awkwardness

"So...uh...what do you think of the new bands and music? My personal favorite is the song "high tide era" from those piano trio dudes" Rhin said as he awaited a response.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Parzival heard Rhin's question, and couldn't resist answering.
"The band is called Hightide Era, the song is called Hooked. Yeah, they're pretty good. Also, stop trying to be someone you're not. You won't get any friends like that." Parzival cursed at himself. 'Why did I have to talk to that jerk?! Why did I have to correct his mistake?! I guess I'll just wait to see his reaction.' Parzival sat back in his chair, trying not to think about his parents.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Kbot felt the anxiety building in the room. Everyone was starting could get uncomfortable, and he could tell. It's not like it takes a rocket scientist to figure that out.

He glanced at the teacher....What was her name again? She didn't seem to be paying that close attention. She was probably listening and wanted to see how things shook out. This was probably part of the plan. She wasn't going to say anything and see how this all went down.

Kbot wasn't going to jump just yet. If things got more serious, he might interject in a bit, but not right now. I'll let things unfold for now.

Topazrekerboy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
janspinoy
Rhin had a sad look on his face for second, then his eyes were back on the book. Rhin thought in his head, "...he doesn't know my life...I need to be someone I'm not doesn't he understand?! I'm so insecure and so sad when I'm myself, people don't wanna see that! I'm just stupid that way! I'm so different than this...I just can't let people see the difference. I'll look like a total sack of sadness! I...I.."
Rhin whispered so nobody could hear

"I don't want any friends...nobody understands me...I wanna be alone..."

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
Nyron looked up from her book, feeling the anxiety rise in the room. She shifted uncomfortably. Someone's already upset.

She looked around for a moment, before speaking. "...what time is it?"

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
"Man, what a sob-fest," Jennie lamented. "Here we are in communications, and look. At. This. Our conversation have already broken down."

This was a bit pathetic. People already at each other's throats. People putting on headphones and sticking their noses in books. Lame.

Jennie flashed a sharky grin. "There's still plenty of time left in this period," she said, answering the inkling girl who asked, "so why don't... we play a game?" Communications, talking... That was the idea .right?

Twirling her dogtag chain around her fingers, she began. "It's called, Two Truths and Lie. You say two things that are true about yourself, and one thing that isn't. The rest of us pick out the lie."

Jennie gave a knowing smirk. "Simple, right? I'm up for anything, but this seems appropriate. ....Unless we want to go back to ....this?"

Last edited:

lonelyrollingsquid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Selfcat
Krys realised she had zoned out again and snapped back to reality. Hoo boy. How had things gone downhill so quickly? Thankfully, Jennie rose with a suggestion.

Krys grinned. A game? She was great at games! She'd ace this, and she was glad at the topic change.

"Yeah guys! This'll be fun!" She stared at Jennie expectantly for further explanation.

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
Nyron blinked. A game?... I guess it would be a nice change of mood from this.

"I'm up for a game." Nyron looked at her page number and closed her book, putting it away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom