• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Zink Mini Splatling: Analysis and Thoughts

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
I also played around with the abilities on this thing, and here's what I would recommend:

Stackable:
:ability_damage:
:ability_bombrange:
:ability_quickrespawn:
:ability_specialduration:
:ability_specialsaver:
:ability_runspeed:

Main-Exclusive:
:ability_comeback:
:ability_haunt:
:ability_openinggambit:
:ability_bombsniffer:
:ability_recon:
I'm surprised you didn't recommend :ability_inkrecovery: since it's generally a good ability to keep your ink tank up and it allows you to spam your :disruptor: more since you are able to recover your ink more quickly.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
On a somewhat unrelated note. Triple bubbler (zink mini splatling and two other bubbler weapons) with a bunch of :ability_specialsaver::ability_specialcharge:, paired with a long range shooter or charger would be both fun to do and annoying as hell to fight :confused:.

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
Just saw someone using this on Urchin Underpass Splatzones. They Stacked up on Special Charge Ups, had a Bubbler basically every time they stepped off of the spawn because of that and the ludicrous amounts of turf this thing covers, and just walked right up to our side of the map like five times in one match and basically destroyed our team with one or two charges. It was pretty ridiculous. It might seem a little more niche, but this weapon could definitely pull off an agressive style if done correctly.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I'm surprised you didn't recommend :ability_inkrecovery: since it's generally a good ability to keep your ink tank up and it allows you to spam your :disruptor: more since you are able to recover your ink more quickly.
Huh. I never found myself in need of ink so much, because this weapon is so ink friendly, and with a full ink tank, two entire Disruptors can be thrown.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Huh. I never found myself in need of ink so much, because this weapon is so ink friendly, and with a full ink tank, two entire Disruptors can be thrown.
I believe it can fire about 7 full charges without Ink Saver Main, although each fully charged barrage only lasts about 1.5 seconds

Edit: So I finally got to use it twice in Kelp Dome, and I have to say I love this weapon. It retains the deadliness of the standard Mini Splatling, but I find the kit on this weapon a lot more fun to use for a couple of reasons:
  1. You can actually use your sub weapon without destroying your ink reserves
  2. The special weapon is a lot more interesting than the Inkzooka. Not only does it help you and your team, but it also creates interesting strategies for both teams to do, something the Inkzooka lacks
  3. It promotes team effort and helps create a feeling of comradeship that I've only felt on good Splatfest teams

Last edited:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I believe it can fire about 7 full charges without Ink Saver Main, although each fully charged barrage only lasts about 1.5 seconds

Edit: So I finally got to use it twice in Kelp Dome, and I have to say I love this weapon. It retains the deadliness of the standard Mini Splatling, but I find the kit on this weapon a lot more fun to use for a couple of reasons:
  1. You can actually use your sub weapon without destroying your ink reserves
  2. The special weapon is a lot more interesting than the Inkzooka. Not only does it help you and your team, but it also creates interesting strategies for both teams to do, something the Inkzooka lacks
  3. It promotes team effort and helps create a feeling of comradeship that I've only felt on good Splatfest teams
Well, I guess ink-friendly compared to most chargeable weapons. ;) I'm just too used to my E-Liter which can only fire four fully-charged shots per ink tank.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I think this is the most effective bubbler weapon. The problem with bubbler is that, although you are invulnerable, it is so easy to push around. Weapons like the jr with such short range can be pushed away from being able to hit people if they have longer range and a decent fire rate. And other weapons like the squiffer or rapid blaster have a decent amount of range but because you may get pushed around a lot landing shots becomes quite difficult and those weapons have pretty costly shots. With the Zink Splatling you basically have enough range to take anything out that tries to push you away and a quick fire rate that means landing shots won't be hard to land.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I think this is the most effective bubbler weapon. The problem with bubbler is that, although you are invulnerable, it is so easy to push around. Weapons like the jr with such short range can be pushed away from being able to hit people if they have longer range and a decent fire rate. And other weapons like the squiffer or rapid blaster have a decent amount of range but because you may get pushed around a lot landing shots becomes quite difficult and those weapons have pretty costly shots. With the Zink Splatling you basically have enough range to take anything out that tries to push you away and a quick fire rate that means landing shots won't be hard to land.
The Zink Mini Splatling is still pretty accurate though, which is why I'm worried that some people will overlook this for the Tri-Slosher. The range is still excellent for a weapon with Bubbler however, pretty much equaling the effect of the Classic Squiffer and Rapid Blaster. The Custom Hydra Splatling, however, when it comes out, will surpass it.

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
I just have 2 questions
-Does anybody have high level play of this weapon? I'm curious to see how other people use it.
-What does everyone think the best maps for this weapon are? I think the Zink Mini is decent on all maps, but Moray and Mahi Mahi are a bit stressful when using this weapon.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Don't forget that you can throw a disruptor too, making it near impossible for enemies to escape you.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
I just have 2 questions
-Does anybody have high level play of this weapon? I'm curious to see how other people use it.
I know at the professional level, Static uses the Zink a lot, so watch him, he can be seen in a lot of different squads, but I think ThatSRB2Dude has some gameplay with him on tournament matches on his YouTube.

Personally since I am biased, I have a almost 2 hour video of gameplay with it. I like to play it as turf support, and suppression/push. You don't play neutral very much, you either put down turf if you don't have bubbler charged, or push/defend with it charged. Because of your amazing Ink coverage you can also just go put down Ink in the enemy base, and flank. I am eventually going to write a guide for all Splatlings, but I have been delayed due to exams recently.

Cactus

Semi-Pro Squid
I use the Zink Mini Splatling a lot. It's very good in my opinion.
Around 3-14 kills per round, very little deaths thanks to the fast charge/shooting rate and bubbler/disrupter combo.
My setup:
:head_msn000: :ability_runspeed: :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_damage:
:clothes_tel006: :ability_swimspeed: :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: or :ability_coldblooded: :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:shoes_lts000: :ability_swimspeed: :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: or :ability_inkresistance: :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

dylan_not_bob

Stardust Crusquider
As someone who has been using the Inkbrush almost exclusively for months now, I've been trying out the Zink because I like the idea of Splatlings and it's the first one that's appealed to me (based on speed of charge and special/bombs); BUT I'm having a hard time locking in on targets using the analogue stick.

I'm actually curious who here uses motion controls for this weapon or what sensitivity you use for the camera if using analogue controls.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
As someone who has been using the Inkbrush almost exclusively for months now, I've been trying out the Zink because I like the idea of Splatlings and it's the first one that's appealed to me (based on speed of charge and special/bombs); BUT I'm having a hard time locking in on targets using the analogue stick.

I'm actually curious who here uses motion controls for this weapon or what sensitivity you use for the camera if using analogue controls.
Funnily enough I mainly transitioned from Inkbrush to Octobrush to Splatlings. I think the Mini is one of the fastest turfing weapons like the brush.

I use motion controls, and for sensitivity, I go back and forth with sensitivities, partially for chargers and splatlings. I like to play at +5 for Splatlings, and -3 on chargers. Or since I speedrun a bit the default of -2 is fine for all, and I recently have been trying -1. Sorry if that isn't helpful, but sensitivity does not affect my results usually. I use higher sensitivities in general on the Splatlings, so I can quickly turn around with the analog stick, and splat someone behind me easily.

dylan_not_bob

Stardust Crusquider
Funnily enough I mainly transitioned from Inkbrush to Octobrush to Splatlings. I think the Mini is one of the fastest turfing weapons like the brush.

I use motion controls, and for sensitivity, I go back and forth with sensitivities, partially for chargers and splatlings. I like to play at +5 for Splatlings, and -3 on chargers. Or since I speedrun a bit the default of -2 is fine for all, and I recently have been trying -1. Sorry if that isn't helpful, but sensitivity does not affect my results usually. I use higher sensitivities in general on the Splatlings, so I can quickly turn around with the analog stick, and splat someone behind me easily.
Turf speed is one of the reasons I'm attracted to the Zink Mini. I like to play more of a support/turfing role than offensive, but like to be able to defend myself when necessary. I've been using analogue controls since I started playing and found that most of the of the weapons I was interested in were fine to use this way (Inkbrush, Splattershot Jr etc.). Trying to use the Zink Mini though, I found that it required a level of precision when finding myself in up-close-and-personal situations that stick controls couldn't provide.

I will try out some of these sensitivities. Thanks!

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Sensitivity ideally is set to the highest point at which you can still control your character. In a perfect world you would have max sensitivity on every weapon, but that currently isn't the case, especially for weapons like chargers that may require finer precision. The way I judge is that, if I feel that my brain is moving faster than my character, or that I'm losing duels because I can't turn as fast, then I increase the sensitivity by one notch. Over time your aim will improve until you can reach the next level of sensitivity.

dylan_not_bob

Stardust Crusquider
Played quite a few matches last night with the Zink Mini. Montion controls on and sensitivity set to -2. Controls definitely throwing me off a bit but by the end of the night I was feeling better about it. Went a couple matches with like 7k/~1d. I am really liking the feel of the splatling, but my inkbrush style kept trying to come through and that never worked out for me very well, aha.

Just need to work on some new gear. Going to try and roll some focus on bomb range, bomb ink save and run speed.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
I picked this weapon up to use during the upcoming Splatfest and it is definitely looking good. I was extremely surprised at the ease of use, coming from regularly using the TTK and gals. I specifically chose this weapon because I believe it has great match-ups against the TW Big 3: Aerosprays, N-ZAPS, and the TTK, outranging all of them while still having the speed to deal with them if they manage to get in close. The only significant downside I saw was the loss of the suction bomb to create traps while keeping myself safe, but the weapon encourages a slightly more supportive style with its bubbler instead, allowing me to survive in fringe cases where I may be ambushed by one of these fast weapons. This was a problem previously, where I was trying to counter the Big 3 by outranging them with a dual squelcher. Though I could easily zone them, if they managed to enter their effective range, the fight was over due to their higher firing rate. The zink mini splatling gives up a little of that margin of error for zoning, but instead really helps you out when zoning may be impossible, making it much more versatile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom