• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

H-3 Nozzlenose: Analysis and Thoughts

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This weapon requires lots of trigger discipline and careful aim, since the delay between bursts means you'll be left vunerable if you're reckless. However, the shots from this Nozzlenose are powerful enough that one-burst splats are very possible.

This is a weapon for Ranked.

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
It's learning curve is much higher than the L-3's and people already had enough issues with the L-3's learning curve. However, I believe that the H-3 has more potential than the L-3 and can be more rewarding to someone that gets good with it.

Shoot when you know it will kill because if you miss then you'll probably die.

One concern I have though is that this thing cannot ink walls well at all. I feel like it'll really be held back on Moray Towers and Flounder Heights because of this. I already felt the L-3 was lacking potential on Moray Towers anyway, but still.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
One concern I have though is that this thing cannot ink walls well at all. I feel like it'll really be held back on Moray Towers and Flounder Heights because of this. I already felt the L-3 was lacking potential on Moray Towers anyway, but still.
That's probably one of the reasons it has Suction Bombs in the first place, but I can see the H-3 Nozzlenose D having trouble with that when it comes out. But let's not worry about that now. XD

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
If I had to give this gun a description, I would say it's a "hunter's dream". The Ecolocator lets you track down enemies, the Suction Bombs can make them come out of their cover (or splat them if they don't) and once they're exposed, the gun itself can end the fight before it even begins. If you don't want to be constantly trying to take out enemies (which is my case), just run the L-3 version and call it a day. That one I'd say was made to be a jack-of-all-trades, with the increased mobility being the main perk (both weapons need something to have people pick whichever version they prefer instead of the statistically superior)
Point sensors and inkzooka seem like the better loadout for this, but I guess they're just different means to the same end. I guess I can't say this is a bad weapon, it's definitely got some potential, although I'd like it more if it had better range. I guess I just wish people who didn't know how to play it would stop playing it is S rooms because that's annoying.

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
Ya know, I wish people would come to this thread if they wanted to know more about how a weapon fits in the metagame:
http://squidboards.com/threads/weapon-strategy-types.7647/

But being on topic here, the H-3 Nozzlenose is meant to be an assassin style weapon. That is to say, it is a long ranged, low spread roller. You cannot just go up guns a-blazing trying to kill an opponent because they are going to out gun you quickly. You have to be subtle and sneaky to get your kills. If you don't, you're going to suffer painful deaths from mid to long ranged shooters because you a re panicking and missing attacks on your opponent. As for the sub weapon, the suction bombs are not for running away nor baiting (although you could definitely use them for baiting), they are designed for forcing people who are hiding undercover out of corners, allowing you to kill them on the spot.

doritos29

Senior Squid
NNID
5thelement
I find it hard to land all 3 shots with it at once. I have no problem with the L-3. Also each burst leaves you open and takes away all your mobility. I can't seem to find a playstyle for this weapon.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I find it hard to land all 3 shots with it at once. I have no problem with the L-3. Also each burst leaves you open and takes away all your mobility. I can't seem to find a playstyle for this weapon.
The best word to describe it is a patient playstyle, if no one has any better interpretations.

doritos29

Senior Squid
NNID
5thelement
The best word to describe it is a patient playstyle, if no one has any better interpretations.
The last thing you want to do with this thing is over extend. It's really risky because of how open it leaves you, but if you land all 3 shots it kills as fast as a Sploosh.

LimitCrown

Full Squid
NNID
LimitCrown
I don't like this weapon. It fires too slowly. In the amount of time that it would take for me to fire the weapon once and be able to fire it again, I would have been able to fire the L-3 Nozzlenose twice. Being able to land all three shots is very unlikely if the opponents are moving. It has the same range as the L-3 Nozzlenose, which is disappointing; I wouldn't say that it is a long-range weapon. Also, the H-3 Nozzlenose hinders your mobility more than the L-3 Nozzlenose does whenever the weapon is fired. The weapon has a lot of drawbacks that prevent me from liking it.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't like this weapon. It fires too slowly. In the amount of time that it would take for me to fire the weapon once and be able to fire it again, I would have been able to fire the L-3 Nozzlenose twice. Being able to land all three shots is very unlikely if the opponents are moving. It has the same range as the L-3 Nozzlenose, which is disappointing; I wouldn't say that it is a long-range weapon. Also, the H-3 Nozzlenose hinders your mobility more than the L-3 Nozzlenose does whenever the weapon is fired. The weapon has a lot of drawbacks that prevent me from liking it.
Well, the thing is that the L-3 has to fire twice at least to deal with an enemy, while the H-3 only needs one burst at least. Within the burst the H-3 shoots as fast as a Jr., so it ties with the Sploosh-o-matic for one of the fastest (if not the fastest) splatting weapons in the game aside of one-hit-splats; if it was any quicker then it could become a concern :confused:

LimitCrown

Full Squid
NNID
LimitCrown
Well, the thing is that the L-3 has to fire twice at least to deal with an enemy, while the H-3 only needs one burst at least. Within the burst the H-3 shoots as fast as a Jr., so it ties with the Sploosh-o-matic for one of the fastest (if not the fastest) splatting weapons in the game aside of one-hit-splats; if it was any quicker then it could become a concern :confused:
However, the L-3 Nozzlenose has Disruptors, which greatly hinder an opponent's mobility and reveal where they are on the stage, while the L-3 Nozzlenose D has Burst Bombs. While the H-3 Nozzlenose ideally only needs to fire once in order to splat the opponents, this is with the assumption that you can have all three shots reliably hit the opponent, which isn't usually the case. Missing with the H-3 Nozzlenose wouldn't be so bad if it didn't hinder your mobility so much.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
However, the L-3 Nozzlenose has Disruptors, which greatly hinder an opponent's mobility and reveal where they are on the stage, while the L-3 Nozzlenose D has Burst Bombs. While the H-3 Nozzlenose ideally only needs to fire once in order to splat the opponents, this is with the assumption that you can have all three shots reliably hit the opponent, which isn't usually the case. Missing with the H-3 Nozzlenose wouldn't be so bad if it didn't hinder your mobility so much.
Well, that's the downside for having such power, kind of like how a Charger has to charge their shot or a Splatling has to spin up. Like I've said before, it's a gun meant for people who can reliably make that burst count (of which I'm not a part of), otherwise the L-3 is the better choice; kind of like how the Mini Splatling works better for players who are constantly in the heat of battle while the Heavy Splatling works better from afar

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Huh. From what people are saying, this reminds me of how everyone thought Chargers sucked in the beginning of this game's lifetime because no one knew how to use the weapon to snipe yet, nor how to utilize its liniarity to cover turf. Now Chargers are really good because people know how to use them and their meta has developed. Even though the H-3 Nozzlenoses only consist if two weapons, I think the case might be the same here. It "sucks" today but then when people concentrate on it despite its difficulty and learn the thing it'll be freaking OP.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
Well, the thing is that the L-3 has to fire twice at least to deal with an enemy
actually with enough damage ups you can push the 3 hits of the L-3 burst to do 99.9 damage, which is still .1 damage from a splat... But if they even so much as think about touching your ink they'll be dead, I've actually gotten a lot of OHKO's with the rapid blaster this way (and I can only imagine the salt it causes) It's not every single time, but it's also not uncommon. Plus the L-3 D has burst bombs which will allow the weapon to burst cancel, as well as letting it attack a player from further and following up with a shot and kill them.

IIRC the H-3 had a high attack, like 130-140 damage counting all three hits. if that's the case it might be possible to make 2/3 hits do 99.9 damage which would give the weapon A LOT, I'll do some testing later.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
IIRC the H-3 had a high attack, like 130-140 damage counting all three hits. if that's the case it might be possible to make 2/3 hits do 99.9 damage which would give the weapon A LOT, I'll do some testing later.
H-3's damage should cap at 49.9, which can reach 99.8 with two shots, and the Suction Bombs benefit from it too. Did you test that burst canceling or did someone tell you it can be done?

LimitCrown

Full Squid
NNID
LimitCrown
Huh. From what people are saying, this reminds me of how everyone thought Chargers sucked in the beginning of this game's lifetime because no one knew how to use the weapon to snipe yet, nor how to utilize its liniarity to cover turf. Now Chargers are really good because people know how to use them and their meta has developed. Even though the H-3 Nozzlenoses only consist if two weapons, I think the case might be the same here. It "sucks" today but then when people concentrate on it despite its difficulty and learn the thing it'll be freaking OP.
The projectiles of Charger weapons have the fastest traveling speed out of all of the weapons in the game and they're the most precise weapons. It feels like they're hitscan weapons. In contrast, the projectiles of Shooter weapons are usually slow.

Last edited:

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
H-3's damage should cap at 49.9, which can reach 99.8 with two shots, and the Suction Bombs benefit from it too. Did you test that burst canceling or did someone tell you it can be done?
I didn't test it, however do recall that it can be done with this weapon. Either way the burst bombs are a great tool for killing earlier with the L-3. 99.8 should be enough damage to still extremely benefit this weapon, although the playstyle should stay that same as the one you've outlined, it will give you more survivability in situations where you are forced out of your weapons comfort zone. I can personally testify that this principle has allowed to me to get triple and quad kills in CQC with the rapid blaster, a weapon that shouldn't be able to do that lmao.

The problem is that you don't want damage up to take up too much space, If we can figure out exactly how much damage we need to cap it then we could devote other slots to other potentially useful things for the h-3. other abilities I think would benefit the H-3 would be: run speed, bomb throw, maybe even special charge up or tenacity, I don't know if ink resistance would be useful or not. Possibly even defense up, a counter to the same strategy you use to make your own weapon better... sounds evil haha.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
As a person that got to S Rank with the L-3, which for awhile was considered underrated; I unfortunately have the H-3 in the Inkbrush catergory for ranked. If I see a teammate with it, I automatically count that as a disconnect and assume I am going to lose.

The H-3 is still young so maybe it can turn into something...but right now....its pretty yuck.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
As a person that got to S Rank with the L-3, which for awhile was considered underrated; I unfortunately have the H-3 in the Inkbrush catergory for ranked. If I see a teammate with it, I automatically count that as a disconnect and assume I am going to lose.

The H-3 is still young so maybe it can turn into something...but right now....its pretty yuck.
That's a terrible attitude to have. If you count the match as a loss then you've already let your team down.
although I do agree that seeing an h-3 usually means I lose.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
That's a terrible attitude to have. If you count the match as a loss then you've already let your team down.
although I do agree that seeing an h-3 usually means I lose.
I "assume" I am going to lose, as in I frown majorly, as I would any really bad weapon matchup. I still play my butt off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom