• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

H-3 Nozzlenose: Analysis and Thoughts

xInsomniax

Inkling
NNID
xInsomniax
After testing it out for a few days, this weapon excels as a flanking weapon. I make sure there is enough ink around for me to navigate in before engaging an enemy and even If I miss a shot or two, I have the space to back up and get the kill. I have done well with my best K/D being 8 and 1. I love the special but the sub leaves something to be desired. Splat bombs or Disruptor would be a better Sub IMO. The hard part is determining what an effect selection of abilities for this weapon would be. At least one Run Speed Up main is required IMO along with an Ink Saver (Main) main. The rest is up to play style and I haven't figured out what benefits the H-3 the most. Maybe Swim Speed Up and Damage Up?

Last edited:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I finally tried this thing myself this morning! I find a lot of potential in it, but I've got to get on with it when the servers AREN'T full of laggy Japanese players...

UPDATE: I just tested it again, in a less laggy room with more fairness concerning its connection, and I had a blast with it. It was hard to get used to with the long delay inbetween each shot, but I found out how to time them in such a way as to lay down both turf and kills in a decent manner. Unless one gets REALLY good with this weapon, it does require the help of teamates, but it can carry its own niche of hunting for the kills perfectly fine. Echolocator kept me from getting flanked and the Suction Bombs spaced out people trying to rush me down and were great for throwing to get a kill where a person least expected and are pretty much the best way for this weapon to get up walls (I have no idea how the H-3 D will survive on Moray Towers without them, but we'll see when that comes). I won a majority of the matches I played and got decent K-D ratios each time. Not incredibly inpressive, since this weapon isn't my particular playstyle, but I got an average of 4-2 each match (that's from TW by the way, since I think this weapon is more built for Splat Zones or even Rainmaker than Tower Control, which is what was available when I played, and I'll try it in Ranked when one of them show up).

Last edited by a moderator:

doritos29

Senior Squid
NNID
5thelement
UPDATE: I just tested it again, in a less laggy room with more fairness concerning its connection, and I had a blast with it. It was hard to get used to with the long delay inbetween each shot, but I found out how to time them in such a way as to lay down both turf and kills in a decent manner. Unless one gets REALLY good with this weapon, it does require the help of teamates, but it can carry its own niche of hunting for the kills perfectly fine. Echolocator kept me from getting flanked and the Suction Bombs spaced out people trying to rush me down and were great for throwing to get a kill where a person least expected and are pretty much the best way for this weapon to get up walls (I have no idea how the H-3 D will survive eithout them on Moray Towers without them, but we'll see when that comes). I won a majority of the matches I played and got decent K-D ratios each time. Not incredibly inpressive, since this weapon isn't my particular playstyle, but I got an average of 4-2 each match (that's from TW by the way, since I think this weapon is more built for Splat Zones or even Rainmaker than Tower Control, which is what was available when I played, and I'll try it in Ranked when one of them show up).
So should I throw suction bombs in front of me to prevent rush downs? I run ink saver sub and ink recovery so I can make great use of suction bombs. Also, should I try flanking with it or stay in front lines?

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
So should I throw suction bombs in front of me to prevent rush downs? I run ink saver sub and ink recovery so I can make great use of suction bombs. Also, should I try flanking with it or stay in front lines?
A balance of both, but flanking should be done more often. Go in the front if you're extremely confident in your timing and aim, and while doing this, space and bait with Suction Bombs. Also use them to get to people above you, both for wall climing and an unexpected ranged attack. But, whenever possible, go for the flank and claim the kill with one unexpected burst.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Eh, not a fan of this weapon, but no surprise there as the L-3's aren't my favorite weapons either, and really the H-3 is just a worse version imho. It's obviously not great in direct combat, but it also doesn't have the range to stay out of such fire fights easily. I'd rather have the L-3 in almost every situation.

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
This thing is basically Splatoon on Hard Mode. I almost never get the full burst. I keep getting 2/3 shots...

WesFX

Inkling
NNID
wesfx7
As a person that got to S Rank with the L-3, which for awhile was considered underrated; I unfortunately have the H-3 in the Inkbrush catergory for ranked. If I see a teammate with it, I automatically count that as a disconnect and assume I am going to lose.

The H-3 is still young so maybe it can turn into something...but right now....its pretty yuck.
Your post is yuck.

I was just tooling around with this for several matches in Turf Wars; I quite like it :) got me a solo quad-splat in one match.
I was turned off by the L-3s, but I'll have to give those a second/third chance now cause I love Disruptors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
Feels too clunky tbh. The slow fire rate combined with you HAVING to get the full burst before acting again is really rough. Echolocator I love but it doesn't help enough with this. Wish the L-3 D had the Echo instead.

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
Is there a worse feeling in the game than landing what you think is a full burst with the H-3 only to realize only two shots have hit their target?

l like this weapon quite a bit but man, hard mode Splatoon really is an accurate description. It can be frustrating, but at the same time if there's a weapon that teaches you how to be good at the game it's this one. This exemplifies how you're not going to get anywhere without steady aim, a clear mind under pressure and awareness of your surroundings.

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
The H-3 Nozzlenose has a pretty similar playstyle to chargers. You want to get up high and fire down on people and you have to pretty much concede to any large pushes made against you since otherwise you're a free splat with no close range tools. As a mid-long range shooter weapon aiming up at enemies just slighty out of range can hit them and still grant the one burst kill. The suction bombs grant you a great way to ink the top of a high place while you shoot the wall to make a path. Echolocator refills your Ink meter which is always useful on such an ink hungry weapon. A handy hint with this weapon, you can hold Y to strafe without the camera panning to compensate for movement, this can actually help keep a full burst on target more than you'd think.

Jeffrizzel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeffrizzel
The H-3 Nozzlenose has a pretty similar playstyle to chargers. You want to get up high and fire down on people and you have to pretty much concede to any large pushes made against you since otherwise you're a free splat with no close range tools. As a mid-long range shooter weapon aiming up at enemies just slighty out of range can hit them and still grant the one burst kill. The suction bombs grant you a great way to ink the top of a high place while you shoot the wall to make a path. Echolocator refills your Ink meter which is always useful on such an ink hungry weapon. A handy hint with this weapon, you can hold Y to strafe without the camera panning to compensate for movement, this can actually help keep a full burst on target more than you'd think.
Excellent Pro Tip, Bro! I didn't know this! Awesome!

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
So the H-3 is getting a pretty significant buff in the next update: 15% range up and 15% turf coverage up. lt'll be interesting to see if this makes it outrange the .96 and Splattershot Pro, in which case the weapon could become a serious threat. l doubt it though, l think it'll probably just have the same range as the aforementioned guns, which would still be good news because with its ttk the H-3 could actually win the matchups now.

Last edited:

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So the H-3 is getting a pretty significant buff in the next update: 15% range up and 20% turf covering up. lt'll be interesting to see if this makes it outrange the .96 and Splattershot Pro, in which case the weapon could become a serious threat. l doubt it though, l think it'll probably just have the same range as the aforementioned guns, which would still be good news because with its ttk the H-3 could actually win the matchups now.
I think it'll make it tie with their range. Considering how fast it can splat, I'm a bit worried :confused:

LimitCrown

Full Squid
NNID
LimitCrown
It's a good thing that the H-3 Nozzlenose's range will be increased in the update. It will at least have an advantage over the L-3 Nozzlenose in that aspect and it justifies its lower rate of fire a bit more.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It's a good thing that the H-3 Nozzlenose's range will be increased in the update. It will at least have an advantage over the L-3 Nozzlenose in that aspect and it justifies its lower rate of fire a bit more.
It already splats as fast as a Sploosh-o-matic; if it fired any faster then it would basically outright replace the L-3

LimitCrown

Full Squid
NNID
LimitCrown
It already splats as fast as a Sploosh-o-matic; if it fired any faster then it would basically outright replace the L-3
The H-3 Nozzlenoze being able to splat opponents in one shot as quickly as the Sploosh-o-Matic doesn't really mitigate the drawbacks of the weapon's rate of fire being very low and you travelling very slowly while the weapon is being fired. The increase to the H-3 Nozzlenose's range in the update should be very helpful, though.

WesFX

Inkling
NNID
wesfx7
Goodness, one of my new favorites getting two very appreciated buffs :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom