• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

H-3 Nozzlenose: Analysis and Thoughts

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
A good try Nintendo, but the only great things about this weapon remain it's sub n special.

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
A good try Nintendo, but the only great things about this weapon remain it's sub n special.
That's not true. With this update, the H-3 now has the second best range, the second shortest ttk and the highest accuracy of all shooters in the game. Yes its fire rate remains bad but it's necessary to balance the weapon, otherwise it'd simply be too powerful and render the L-3 completely obsolete.

This weapon will always remain hard to use but people always confuse accessibility and viability.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
That's not true. With this update, the H-3 now has the second best range, the second shortest ttk and the highest accuracy of all shooters in the game. Yes its fire rate remains bad but it's necessary to balance the weapon, otherwise it'd simply be too powerful and render the L-3 completely obsolete.

This weapon will always remain hard to use but people always confuse accessibility and viability.
Exactly how much range it'll have now is not yet known, but regardless that's the only real thing that's changed. Ttk and accuracy (if we discount the burst mechanic throwing off aim) are good sure, but that firerate n burst mechanic cripple it in practice. Getting 3 consecutive hits with any shooter is unlikely, and that's the case two fold with this weapon since there are periords where you can't even shoot, and just missing one shot means the ttk really shoots up due to the delay between burst. Yeah I'm probably being too hard on this weapon. Guess I'm just disappointed that the Dolphin brand didn't make my favorite weapons. :L

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
Exactly how much range it'll have now is not yet known, but regardless that's the only real thing that's changed. Ttk and accuracy (if we discount the burst mechanic throwing off aim) are good sure, but that firerate n burst mechanic cripple it in practice. Getting 3 consecutive hits with any shooter is unlikely, and that's the case two fold with this weapon since there are periords where you can't even shoot, and just missing one shot means the ttk really shoots up due to the delay between burst. Yeah I'm probably being too hard on this weapon. Guess I'm just disappointed that the Dolphin brand didn't make my favorite weapons. :L
The Amount of range increase is actually known. It said specifically that it was a 15% increase. The effective distance of this weapon is currently 2.9 lines. This x1.15 gives us about 3.3 lines of effective distance. Oh would you look at that, it now has the exact same effective distance as the .96 gal, splattershot pro, and dual squelcher. In essence, they cemented it into the second highest range tier of shooters.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
The Amount of range increase is actually known. It said specifically that it was a 15% increase. The effective distance of this weapon is currently 2.9 lines. This x1.15 gives us about 3.3 lines of effective distance. Oh would you look at that, it now has the exact same effective distance as the .96 gal, splattershot pro, and dual squelcher. In essence, they cemented it into the second highest range tier of shooters.
Well that doesn't change my post. :P

vtroid5

Full Squid
NNID
vtroid5
Love this thing after the buff. It just takes practice to get the rhythm and the burst mech.

Accurate, quick kills, solid kit imo, good range, even good coverage... It's becoming difficult for me to find a reason not to main it.

Still trying to figure out gear for this thing. It seems like run speed and ink saver main are helpful.

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
l'm using:

-bomb range up main with two ink recovery up subs
-ink recovery up main with two swim speed up subs
-swim speed up main with one ink recovery sub (l have to improve these shoes)

Bomb range up is useful to give you some breathing space against these pesky chargers and generally makes suction bombs even more useful than what they already are as a zoning tool. Ink recovery allows you to throw bombs in rapid successions and swim speed can be used to move away from your opponent and reposition yourself if you missed a one kill burst.

l don't think ink saver main is needed because another strong points of the weapon IMO is its excellent ink consumption especially compared to similar guns like the Pro or the .96 and run speed up doesn't seem very useful either as you really don't want to get into strafing duels against Tentateks/N-zaps/L-3s.

vtroid5

Full Squid
NNID
vtroid5
l'm using:

-bomb range up main with two ink recovery up subs
-ink recovery up main with two swim speed up subs
-swim speed up main with one ink recovery sub (l have to improve these shoes)

Bomb range up is useful to give you some breathing space against these pesky chargers and generally makes suction bombs even more useful than what they already are as a zoning tool. Ink recovery allows you to throw bombs in rapid successions and swim speed can be used to move away from your opponent and reposition yourself if you missed a one kill burst.

l don't think ink saver main is needed because another strong points of the weapon IMO is its excellent ink consumption especially compared to similar guns like the Pro or the .96 and run speed up doesn't seem very useful either as you really don't want to get into strafing duels against Tentateks/N-zaps/L-3s.
I will for sure give bomb range up a go. Your description sounds really similar to how/what I would use for the custom range blaster. Do you strafe less because it kills in a single burst? So more re positioning between shots (like the range blaster)? I found the movement speed fairly necessary with the L3.

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
I will for sure give bomb range up a go. Your description sounds really similar to how/what I would use for the custom range blaster. Do you strafe less because it kills in a single burst? So more re positioning between shots (like the range blaster)? I found the movement speed fairly necessary with the L3.
Yeah, l take one shot and dive into my ink. If it hits then obviously that's good, if the guy is still alive l try to swim away to maintain that optimal range or flank.

On foot mobility is probably the H-3's biggest weakness so IMO it's pointless to try to improve it. It's better to work around it by adjusting your playstyle.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
I'd imagine this weapon benefits from a somewhat stealthy approach. It's much easier to land a full burst on someone who doesn't know you're there.

LAG

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lag
Echolocator is brilliant, and I'd say it helps getting you into position, since all you need is one accurate shot to kill the opponent. The patch increased range so you can kill them from further.

Personally, Swim Speed is good for getting in position or quick sideways / jumping movements that help you position yourself for the - basically - OHKO. Ink Resistnace is good so you can swim through your small path of ink even if it's shot in enemy ink since it's like little patches of ink as opposed to a normal path.

Special Savors, Super Jump, Ninja / Cold-Blooded are all good abilities. I'd personally sub a few bomb range ups to abuse Suctions, which is actually an amazing sub for this weapon.

I'd say strongest area is Tower Control. Easy to pick off enemies on tower from distance, easy to carry tower with Suction spam, Echo lets you pick off enemies trying to camp and flank your tower for lead denail, etc.

Overall not that bad. Just takes a bit of skill learning how to aim with it.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
So, please leave your thoughts and analysis on the new H-3 Nozzlenose.
@HappyBear801, Just replying here first to let you know I did see your message in the H-3D thread.

So here are some of my approaches and observations, will edit as necessary when I need to add/remove stuff.
  1. Good at turfing and especially good at creating long straight paths quickly.
  2. Because it can ink paths relatively quickly (usually 2 shots will do), you can actually spend less time shooting if you opt for a stealthier approach.
  3. One method of inking paths is to throw a suction bomb far ahead, ink a path to it then swim up to recharge.
  4. Doesn't 3HKO at max range (probably does with enough damage up, but just want to point that out to prospective H-3 users) although I reckon most people shouldn't be attempting to play right at the max range of the H-3.
  5. Suction bombs are great for harassment and temporary turf control or even driving enemies into corners which you want.
  6. Throw range up is essential with the suction bombs on Moray Towers to deal with snipers.
  7. Also, sometimes it's easier to ink walls by throwing a well-aimed suction bomb as opposed to firing with the H-3, it's miserable like that.
  8. Also, sometimes I invade enemy territory using the H-3's ability to ink paths and lay down suction bombs along the way to deter following enemies, especially helpful on maps like Port Mackerel :D (Swim Speed Up helps here obviously)
  9. Echolocator is a great pressure tool (if your team isn't made up of real life squids) as well as ink-refilling tool (I think of it this way when my team lets me down) and in Turf Wars I set a goal of getting 3 Echolocators per match if I can help it. It's definitely possible to get more than 3 if things go well.
That's it for now!

Last edited:

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Doesn't OHKO at max range (probably does with enough damage up, but just want to point that out to prospective H-3 users) although I reckon most people shouldn't be attempting to play right at the max range of the H-3.
Unless by "max range" you mean the range at which the shot begins to drop to the floor (which decreases the damage and works the same on all shooters anyways) the H-3 Nozzlenose should always require only 3 shots to splat o_O

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Unless by "max range" you mean the range at which the shot begins to drop to the floor (which decreases the damage and works the same on all shooters anyways) the H-3 Nozzlenose should always require only 3 shots to splat o_O
Yup, that is what I meant by max range. The 2.2.0 buff basically made the old max range 3HKO range now.

Also, I mentioned it because even on the 3x Defense Up dummy in the test area, you can still 3HKO within your range. So I felt it's important to mention the caveat that H-3 doesn't get a 3HKO at max range, lest you have people hearing hit-counters more than 3 times and scratching their heads (I know I have).

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yup, that is what I meant by max range. The 2.2.0 buff basically made the old max range 3HKO range now.

Also, I mentioned it because even on the 3x Defense Up dummy in the test area, you can still 3HKO within your range. So I felt it's important to mention the caveat that H-3 doesn't get a 3HKO at max range, lest you have people hearing hit-counters more than 3 times and scratching their heads (I know I have).
The thing is that no shooter (or Splatling) splats in the same number of hits once the shot begins falling, so it's not exclusive to this weapon alone; even Judd tells you that. I'm not even sure how much Damage Ups are required to keep the shots to splat due to how much the damage is decreased (or if it's even possible to return in back to normal), but I can't really test it since I don't have any gear with full Damage Ups anyways :(

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
The thing is that no shooter (or Splatling) splats in the same number of hits once the shot begins falling, so it's not exclusive to this weapon alone; even Judd tells you that. I'm not even sure how much Damage Ups are required to keep the shots to splat due to how much the damage is decreased (or if it's even possible to return in back to normal), but I can't really test it since I don't have any gear with full Damage Ups anyways :(
Whilst it's not exclusive, you need to remember the raw damage of 3 shots from a H-3 exceeds 100 (123 with my gear). So unless everyone is so clued in to know that max range decreases it below 100 (82 with the same gear) for whatever reason, I think it's something worth pointing out.

Also, good luck rolling gear haha, I actually only bother with my main abilities.

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
About three Damage Up Mains will bring the power of each bullet to 49.9; you can do that thing where the first shot inks around their feet to deal extra damage so that it's effectively a 2HKO. I hear that people do it with the Splattershot Pro, anyway; not sure how reliable that is.

Worth noting that the fire rate is the same as many weaker shooters (ignoring the gap between bursts), such as the N-ZAPs, Splattershot Jr., and the Splash-o-Matic, while being a 3HKO under normal circumstances. This distinction is shared with the crazy-powerful Sploosh-o-Matic but gives you some decent leeway in range (because let's be real--you're not gonna KO anyone short of a flanked Charger at max distance with a single shot). There are obvious advantages to that if you can catch someone by surprise, but if it's not doing that, it tends to cover ground like a Charger, and straight lines aren't so great when you're on the defensive.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There are obvious advantages to that if you can catch someone by surprise, but if it's not doing that, it tends to cover ground like a Charger, and straight lines aren't so great when you're on the defensive.
I wouldn't say that it's weakness are the straight lines (which it makes remarkably well compared to most long range shooters), but the long delay that keeps it from inking constantly. I have no problems inking with a Heavy Splatling because it allows me to make straight lines very quickly, which with some straffing lets me make squares (Geometry ftw!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom