• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

H-3 Nozzlenose: Analysis and Thoughts

TCSmith0812

Full Squid
To really be able to give a good opinion on this weapon, you need to have played it for very long, learning every little detail of the weapon in the process. Much like the bamboozler, this is a highly underestimated gun, mostly because it's extremely hard to use; you need an entirely different set of skills and play style to be able to use it effectively. The amount of skill required is tremendous, which draws many players away from it. The only kind you will typically see are the people trying it out for their first time and doing horrible. This is another reason why opinions are swayed on it as well. But when you look at its stats, it's designed to outdo the .96 gal. It has twice the fire rate, slightly more range, and slightly less damage, but overall trumps it if used correctly. And it's strafe speed is slower, yeah, but run speed fixes that weakness. And trust me, I know what I am talking about here because it's my main and I regularly compete with this. Once competitive play is more popular, you will see teams winning who put the time into learning the H-3 and bamboozler, as well as other underrated weapons. So watch out!

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
But when you look at its stats, it's designed to outdo the .96 gal. It has twice the fire rate, slightly more range, and slightly less damage, but overall trumps it if used correctly.
I believe that they're tied in range after the buff. It's also one of the fastest (if not the fastest) splatting weapons that require more than 1 hit, tied with the Sploosh-o-matic if you disregard the bullet's travel time. It can literally erase an enemy before they can react if the whole burst hits, where someone quick enough could try to dodge the second .96 Gal shot

TCSmith0812

Full Squid
This weapon requires lots of trigger discipline and careful aim, since the delay between bursts means you'll be left vunerable if you're reckless. However, the shots from this Nozzlenose are powerful enough that one-burst splats are very possible.

This is a weapon for Ranked.
I believe that they're tied in range after the buff. It's also one of the fastest (if not the fastest) splatting weapons that require more than 1 hit, tied with the Sploosh-o-matic if you disregard the bullet's travel time. It can literally erase an enemy before they can react if the whole burst hits, where someone quick enough could try to dodge the second .96 Gal shot
After the buff, the H-3 has like 4% more range than the .96 gal. You can find that information if you type in the names of both guns on Google and look at their stats.

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
You know what? I'm bad at this weapon. But i'm going to learn it anyway xD Watch me go down the ranks again xD I'll learn the weapon (With Stick controls and everything) and rise up with it like i did with the Rapid blaster (and Custom Range blaster too). Since it's Semi Auto like the Sloshing machine, (or rather Sloshing machine is like the H-3 since the H-3 came out first xD) i should get used to that part. Though that's the only thing i might be used to xD

Anyway, anyone got some suggestions/adivce on how to use it (generally or specifically)? Or shall i trudge this path with my own experience?

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
You know what? I'm bad at this weapon. But i'm going to learn it anyway xD Watch me go down the ranks again xD I'll learn the weapon (With Stick controls and everything) and rise up with it like i did with the Rapid blaster (and Custom Range blaster too). Since it's Semi Auto like the Sloshing machine, (or rather Sloshing machine is like the H-3 since the H-3 came out first xD) i should get used to that part. Though that's the only thing i might be used to xD

Anyway, anyone got some suggestions/adivce on how to use it (generally or specifically)? Or shall i trudge this path with my own experience?
I've got plenty of new tips for this weapon, I'll post about it when I get back home :)

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Alright, let's get down to H-3 (Hipst3r) business!

First! The usual disclaimer: these are my personal views and approaches so feel free to experiment for a way that's more suitable for you.

Whilst I play exclusively with motion controls, I think stick controls would actually work pretty well with the H-3.

I made a bunch of observations earlier in this very thread months ago so here are a bunch of fresh views and information:

1. This weapon is unforgiving by design. So I gave myself a personal quota to splat enemies in 1 burst as much as possible. Worst case I'll use 2 bursts. If I only landed 1-2 hits in the first burst against dangerous enemies (the ones who can rush you down basically) then I quickly back off instead or drop a suction bomb to deter their approach.
  2. Movement is this weapon's biggest enemy; not just your enemy's but your own. I found that I could get my 3HKOs a lot better if I left my L stick at neutral the moment I'm firing (with the crosshair lighting up on the enemy of course). It's a lot easier to miss shots if the enemy is closer to you and you're still strafing after firing.
  3. The most important tip (IMO) when using the H-3 is to not bother maintaining the firing rhythm in a firefight. Unlike the L-3 which can get into a very machine-gun like rhythm, the H-3's gap is long enough to mess up your aim (unless your sense of timing or muscle memory to fire the next burst is that good). What this means is, in the event you did land only 1-2 shots of the burst on an enemy, don't attempt to get the next burst out ASAP (I did that when I was panicking). Instead, move around, reacquire the opponent in your crosshairs and then fire off the next burst when the crosshair lights up.
  4. If you're dealing with weapons that lose to the H-3's range, then you generally want to maintain that spacing which allows you to not land the 3HKO and still have a chance to finish them off.
  5. Using the suction bomb's throw range to measure your range is actually one way of preparing yourself on the battlefield. It also happens to help a lot in aiming as it slows your movement speed down nicely.

Here's some of the H-3 framedata along with some L-3 to compare and contrast:

L-3 Max Range:
1st shot = 10f​
2nd shot = 14f
3rd shot = 18f

H-3 at the L-3's Max Range:
1st shot = 9f
2nd shot = 14f
3rd shot = 19f
As you can see, the first shot of a H-3 burst is actually 1f faster than the L-3 but each subsequent shot takes 1f longer which is why any sideways movement (in relation to the line of your burst) easily causes the latter shots to miss.

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
Alright, let's get down to H-3 (Hipst3r) business!

First! The usual disclaimer: these are my personal views and approaches so feel free to experiment for a way that's more suitable for you.

Whilst I play exclusively with motion controls, I think stick controls would actually work pretty well with the H-3.

I made a bunch of observations earlier in this very thread months ago so here are a bunch of fresh views and information:

1. This weapon is unforgiving by design. So I gave myself a personal quota to splat enemies in 1 burst as much as possible. Worst case I'll use 2 bursts. If I only landed 1-2 hits in the first burst against dangerous enemies (the ones who can rush you down basically) then I quickly back off instead or drop a suction bomb to deter their approach.
  2. Movement is this weapon's biggest enemy; not just your enemy's but your own. I found that I could get my 3HKOs a lot better if I left my L stick at neutral the moment I'm firing (with the crosshair lighting up on the enemy of course). It's a lot easier to miss shots if the enemy is closer to you and you're still strafing after firing.
  3. The most important tip (IMO) when using the H-3 is to not bother maintaining the firing rhythm in a firefight. Unlike the L-3 which can get into a very machine-gun like rhythm, the H-3's gap is long enough to mess up your aim (unless your sense of timing or muscle memory to fire the next burst is that good). What this means is, in the event you did land only 1-2 shots of the burst on an enemy, don't attempt to get the next burst out ASAP (I did that when I was panicking). Instead, move around, reacquire the opponent in your crosshairs and then fire off the next burst when the crosshair lights up.
  4. If you're dealing with weapons that lose to the H-3's range, then you generally want to maintain that spacing which allows you to not land the 3HKO and still have a chance to finish them off.
  5. Using the suction bomb's throw range to measure your range is actually one way of preparing yourself on the battlefield. It also happens to help a lot in aiming as it slows your movement speed down nicely.

Here's some of the H-3 framedata along with some L-3 to compare and contrast:

L-3 Max Range:
1st shot = 10f​
2nd shot = 14f
3rd shot = 18f

H-3 at the L-3's Max Range:
1st shot = 9f
2nd shot = 14f
3rd shot = 19f
As you can see, the first shot of a H-3 burst is actually 1f faster than the L-3 but each subsequent shot takes 1f longer which is why any sideways movement (in relation to the line of your burst) easily causes the latter shots to miss.
So the vibe i'm getting is to not commit to a burst kill if you've already missed your first burst? I'm guessing that's if you're trying to be stealthy. Thank you for the tips! The main reason i like the H-3 over the L-3 is that you don't have to maintain rhythm. Trying to learn that would me a complete overhaul of my playstyle.

My current strategey with the weapon is still forming. Since i mained The Custom Range Blaster, i know how much it hurts to miss a shot, but now that pain is tripled because there's no OHKO or Kraken to save my life. Adapting the weapon to my playstyle will be tough but it's not impossible...i don't think so anyway xD

When i did test it out, everyone had to run cold blooded xD Murphy's Law i tell ya. Perhaps i'll spend time in Turf war for this weapon rather than Ranked Eh?

By the way. I'm having trouble long ranged opponents, anyone got some advice on those types of weapons? Specifically Splatterscopes and the 96 Gals if possible.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
So the vibe i'm getting is to not commit to a burst kill if you've already missed your first burst? I'm guessing that's if you're trying to be stealthy. Thank you for the tips! The main reason i like the H-3 over the L-3 is that you don't have to maintain rhythm. Trying to learn that would me a complete overhaul of my playstyle.
That's currently my approach in Turf Wars yes. It's not the only way to play it but the gap in between bursts is really long enough to get you killed if someone decides to do it, the ones who would die to you probably don't realize you're using a H-3...

TBH, maintaining rhythm with the L-3 is very easy (practise along with the tempo of 'Now or Never!'). The L-3 was very unique in its mobility whilst turfing...until Nintendo mistakenly (IMO) decided to buff the NZap to similar levels. The L-3 is still much more accurate though.

My current strategey with the weapon is still forming. Since i mained The Custom Range Blaster, i know how much it hurts to miss a shot, but now that pain is tripled because there's no OHKO or Kraken to save my life. Adapting the weapon to my playstyle will be tough but it's not impossible...i don't think so anyway xD
I've not mained any of the blasters for an extended period of time but yes like you mentioned, H-3 has the disadvantage of no panic special and missing shots in your burst will be a very real thing.

When i did test it out, everyone had to run cold blooded xD Murphy's Law i tell ya. Perhaps i'll spend time in Turf war for this weapon rather than Ranked Eh?
Like I mentioned elsewhere, I think cold-blooded is a bit broken at the moment. Reducing Echolocator from 10s to 3s is my idea of 'too good'. Perhaps there are good strategies against cold-blooded lovers but for now I haven't really spent much time thinking about it. My mentality when using Echolocator on H-3 is to not be overly reliant on it; use it for insta-refill, figuring out where the enemies are roughly and quickly improvise because cold-blooded shortens it by that much.

By the way. I'm having trouble long ranged opponents, anyone got some advice on those types of weapons? Specifically Splatterscopes and the 96 Gals if possible.
VS chargers you had best get the jump on them or stack some quick respawn + comeback if you're prepared for a trade kill. The experienced ones most likely have a charged shot ready to fire at anyone who gets into their vicinity and sadly the gap in between their shots isn't that much longer than the H-3's. I might have to do some rough time measurements to back my statement up haha.

Since they typically will be charging preemptively, they'll be in kid form; practise firing at the standing dummies in the firing range, you really don't want to miss the first burst on these guys.

VS 96 gals...my chosen option is to back off haha. They have a 2HKO governed by RNG and you have a 3HKO that might as well also be RNG. If you face the one that uses splash walls, wait till the splash wall is almost depleted then toss your suction bomb at it, I've gotten a few kills that way because the hapless squid stood too close to the wall at that time.

BTW I tried H-3 out in Tower Control earlier today and on Piranha Pit it was absolutely nuts at times. The way that map is laid out, it's like constant chaos in the central area and the turfing ability of the H-3 is pretty much for naught there. I'm also of the mindset to train my H-3 up in rank (I don't mind ranking down, it's part of the learning)

Last edited:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
My advice: Stack Bomb Range Up. A good bunch of it. Suction Bombs are your friend when it comes to dealing with ranged opponents and opponents with height advantages (also the main method of wall-inking with this weapon as well). That should be your main method of countering normal Splatterscopes. For Kelp ones I'd also add to take care of them before their Sprinklers. Same with the normal .96 Gal. For the .96 Gal. Deco, be sure to know how to lob Bombs over Splash Walls and just go if the person has the Kraken ready (maybe come back around for a flank after recovery). If you want a more definitive way for dealing with long ranged weapons, go for the Inkzooka on the H-3 Nozzlenose D, although note that on that variant close-ranged combat is much more difficult because there are no bombs on which to fall back. Also, for reference, any long-ranged weapon with Echolocator is not your friend. This weapon is a hunting assassin and you want to make sure the enemies can neither run nor hide, but not yourself. Therefore, try to kill them before they can charge it up (it is the second longest special to charge in the game, behind the Inkzooka). Long-ranged weapons with Point Sensors are also to be looked out for (such as the Classic Squiffer or the Dolphin variant of this weapon). Maybe memorize all shirts with Haunt too, just in case. ;)

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
That's currently my approach in Turf Wars yes. It's not the only way to play it but the gap in between bursts is really long enough to get you killed if someone decides to do it, the ones who would die to you probably don't realize you're using a H-3...

TBH, maintaining rhythm with the L-3 is very easy (practise along with the tempo of 'Now or Never!'). The L-3 was very unique in its mobility whilst turfing...until Nintendo mistakenly (IMO) decided to buff the NZap to similar levels. The L-3 is still much more accurate though.
Ahh yeah, i get what you mean there, maybe it was an exaggeration to call it a "complete overhaul". It's just timing your shots as well as managing your ink can get a little heavy on the brain at times, especially in the midst of a firefight.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, I think cold-blooded is a bit broken at the moment. Reducing Echolocator from 10s to 3s is my idea of 'too good'. Perhaps there are good strategies against cold-blooded lovers but for now I haven't really spent much time thinking about it. My mentality when using Echolocator on H-3 is to not be overly reliant on it; use it for insta-refill, figuring out where the enemies are roughly and quickly improvise because cold-blooded shortens it by that much.
The only thing i can think about Cold blooded users, is that they have a disadvantage of not having a Main ability slot to raise their Run speed/Swim speed etc. But the ability to cut down "tracking time" to the other team would make it worth it i suppose.

As for Echolocator, yeah, instant refills are what i usually do. Some times i like to do a double Suction bomb (one with a full tank, then one immediately after echolocator). It doesn't do much at all xD. But usually the need for echolocator can be reduced if you keep an eye on key points right? Like the mid flanks at Wall eye. Though it's really helpful on large stages like Museum and Moray.

But almost always, i think Echolocator is more of a benefit to my team than myself, since the times i usually like it are when people are climbing up walls to my location (Like on Bluefin. Those spots are nice for burst kills xD). or checking out where Chargers are currently so i can act accordingly or even checking to see if anyone has sneaked up behind my team. I'm not to sure if that's what everyone does with Echolocator since i don't use it all that often outside the H-3.

VS chargers you had best get the jump on them or stack some quick respawn + comeback if you're prepared for a trade kill. The experienced ones most likely have a charged shot ready to fire at anyone who gets into their vicinity and sadly the gap in between their shots isn't that much longer than the H-3's. I might have to do some rough time measurements back my statement up haha.

Since they typically will be charging preemptively, they'll be in kid form; practise firing at the standing dummies in the firing range, you really don't want to miss the first burst on these guys.

VS 96 gals...my chosen option is to back off haha. They have a 2HKO governed by RNG and you have a 3HKO that might as well also be RNG. If you face the one that uses splash walls, wait till the splash wall is almost depleted then toss your suction bomb at it, I've gotten a few kills that way because the hapless squid stood too close to the wall at that time.
Hrmm, yeah, i get what you mean, most Long ranged weapons are virtually useless when ambushed or sneaked up upon (unless if they've got a panic special ready paired with good reflexes). Against Splatterscopes my current strategy against them is throw a suction bomb to make them move or just play it safe and get out of their range. They just give me trouble approaching, if i could get close enough while their distracted, taking them out becomes much easier.

Chargers that or perched on high places are troublesome, again i tend to use a suction bomb to get them away temporarily but just trying to throw it there could mean death if that charger is close to their teammates (this usually happens on Splatzones).

Yeah i thought so xD, challenging them just doesn't work out at all, i mean, the H-3 can out range the 96 Gals, but i think the tail end of the shot brings the H-3 to a 2 burst splat. Considering the 96 can almost always reliably splat you in 2 shots it's just not worth taking one on unless they're distracted or you've ambushed them or something. As for the Deco with it's wall's i've had a moment where i threw a Suction bomb, then a 96 deco threw his wall straight on top of it and ended up dying to the blast xD I'll keep that in mind for future encounters with the 96 Deco.

Thank you for all your advice! I dropped down to B+ with the weapon from A, but then i soared right back into A+ after a day or two of training, So i really appreciate it!

My advice: Stack Bomb Range Up. A good bunch of it. Suction Bombs are your friend when it comes to dealing with ranged opponents and opponents with height advantages (also the main method of wall-inking with this weapon as well). That should be your main method of countering normal Splatterscopes. For Kelp ones I'd also add to take care of them before their Sprinklers. Same with the normal .96 Gal. For the .96 Gal. Deco, be sure to know how to lob Bombs over Splash Walls and just go if the person has the Kraken ready (maybe come back around for a flank after recovery). If you want a more definitive way for dealing with long ranged weapons, go for the Inkzooka on the H-3 Nozzlenose D, although note that on that variant close-ranged combat is much more difficult because there are no bombs on which to fall back. Also, for reference, any long-ranged weapon with Echolocator is not your friend. This weapon is a hunting assassin and you want to make sure the enemies can neither run nor hide, but not yourself. Therefore, try to kill them before they can charge it up (it is the second longest special to charge in the game, behind the Inkzooka). Long-ranged weapons with Point Sensors are also to be looked out for (such as the Classic Squiffer or the Dolphin variant of this weapon). Maybe memorize all shirts with Haunt too, just in case. ;)
Bomb range up eh? Hmm, it sounds like a very good plan. I never thought i needed such ability cause i never relied on it. But when i get the chance i'll try it out sometime!

But i know what you mean about Long ranged weapons with Echolocators. E-litres (specifically the scoped ones, the normal one doesn't see much use compared to the scope), vanilla 96 gals, those two are a thorn on my side. Though i don't reeeeeaaally want to run cold blooded at the moment since i'd prefer to have a main ability that can back up my mistakes like Quick respawn. Once i get confident in lowering my death rate, i'll start running cold blooded.

If you'd like to know this is the set i run now a days with the H-3

Fugu Bell Hat (AKA Blowfish bell hat) : :ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: (Have i told anyone that i LOVE this hat? It's hilariously cool and it's got a great main ability to boot. Oh and the re-roll was a fluke xD)
Traditional apron: :ability_quickrespawn: |:ability_runspeed::ability_quickrespawn::ability_swimspeed:
Squid girl Shoes: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_unknown: (I forgot the last one, but i think it might of been :ability_quicksuperjump: or :ability_damage: or even :ability_bombrange:)

Phew, sorry for the wall of text. Though i don't know how i could of shortened all that. I hope that's okay to read xD

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
But i know what you mean about Long ranged weapons with Echolocators. E-litres (specifically the scoped ones, the normal one doesn't see much use compared to the scope),
Woah woah woah I use the normal E-Liter here! #360Noscopes #EscapeTactics :cool:

But that is not for discussion in this thread. XD And I actually forgot about the E-Liter where this is concerned funnily enough, since assassin weapons should try to avoid being seen by snipers as much as possible, but it is harder to do on smaller maps so such snipers do deserve a mention here.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Ahh yeah, i get what you mean there, maybe it was an exaggeration to call it a "complete overhaul". It's just timing your shots as well as managing your ink can get a little heavy on the brain at times, especially in the midst of a firefight.
You're actually correct in one way: the L-3D at least allows for a more aggressive playstyle since it moves fast, kills fast and turfs fast. The H-3 is much more strict with the kinds of playstyles it allows. In other words, if you came from an L-3D to any of the H-3s, you would indeed have to rethink how you want to play :D

The only thing i can think about Cold blooded users, is that they have a disadvantage of not having a Main ability slot to raise their Run speed/Swim speed etc. But the ability to cut down "tracking time" to the other team would make it worth it i suppose.
IMO there is no disadvantage besides not being able to use the other Clothing-specific abilities such as Haunt, Recon and Ninja Squid. I'm in the midst of personally thinking through how to counter cold-blooded and whether or not it's current mechanics (eg. amount of reduction) can be properly overcome.

[QUOTE="Yellowkirbyguy, post: 146313, member: 8991]"As for Echolocator, yeah, instant refills are what i usually do. Some times i like to do a double Suction bomb (one with a full tank, then one immediately after echolocator). It doesn't do much at all xD. But usually the need for echolocator can be reduced if you keep an eye on key points right? Like the mid flanks at Wall eye. Though it's really helpful on large stages like Museum and Moray.

But almost always, i think Echolocator is more of a benefit to my team than myself, since the times i usually like it are when people are climbing up walls to my location (Like on Bluefin. Those spots are nice for burst kills xD). or checking out where Chargers are currently so i can act accordingly or even checking to see if anyone has sneaked up behind my team. I'm not to sure if that's what everyone does with Echolocator since i don't use it all that often outside the H-3.[/QUOTE]

Double suction bomb is something I love doing too! In the right situations, it allows you to trap an opponent tight by sealing off two paths (unless they've got Bubbler or Kraken ready...as usual -_-) Although sometimes in the heat of battle I simply can't wait for my ink tank to refill to throw the first suction bomb so I'll just go ahead and Echolocate first.

For me Echolocator is sort of an all-round pressure tool which works best if you have team mates who can capitalize on the hunt as well as sort of an insta-update on where the enemies are at that very moment. I won't say I'm an Echolocating expert yet though, I feel there are a few creative approaches with it that I haven't explored yet.

[QUOTE="Yellowkirbyguy, post: 146313, member: 8991]Hrmm, yeah, i get what you mean, most Long ranged weapons are virtually useless when ambushed or sneaked up upon (unless if they've got a panic special ready paired with good reflexes). Against Splatterscopes my current strategy against them is throw a suction bomb to make them move or just play it safe and get out of their range. They just give me trouble approaching, if i could get close enough while their distracted, taking them out becomes much easier.

Chargers that or perched on high places are troublesome, again i tend to use a suction bomb to get them away temporarily but just trying to throw it there could mean death if that charger is close to their teammates (this usually happens on Splatzones).[/QUOTE]

These past few days I've been learning the Kelp Splatterscope (with the release of Ancho-V) and I can say that it's pretty decent at close range if I chose the right location to put a sprinkler as backup. You sure as hell won't be winning much if you're dealing with a scope that's moving around under a constant rain of sprinkler ink. In general the suction bomb is your best friend at getting any charger to relocate for a good amount of time. If you managed to get up to a charger who is unaware then you ought to be able to kill them fast enough with a steady aim. That said, I still have a long way to go with the H-3 so please remember these are just my own personal views and approaches :)

[QUOTE="Yellowkirbyguy, post: 146313, member: 8991]Yeah i thought so xD, challenging them just doesn't work out at all, i mean, the H-3 can out range the 96 Gals, but i think the tail end of the shot brings the H-3 to a 2 burst splat. Considering the 96 can almost always reliably splat you in 2 shots it's just not worth taking one on unless they're distracted or you've ambushed them or something. As for the Deco with it's wall's i've had a moment where i threw a Suction bomb, then a 96 deco threw his wall straight on top of it and ended up dying to the blast xD I'll keep that in mind for future encounters with the 96 Deco.

Thank you for all your advice! I dropped down to B+ with the weapon from A, but then i soared right back into A+ after a day or two of training, So i really appreciate it![/QUOTE]

It's generally tough unless you got the jump on them (basically like what Happybear said, an assassin weapon is more or less what the H-3 can be), that's also why the gals are so strong because they can switch between these roles easily (assassin or frontline, no problem).

You're giving me too much credit for the results of your own training and performance. Although I honestly think from A+ onwards is where it gets really tough for the H-3 :x

[QUOTE="Yellowkirbyguy, post: 146313, member: 8991]Bomb range up eh? Hmm, it sounds like a very good plan. I never thought i needed such ability cause i never relied on it. But when i get the chance i'll try it out sometime!

But i know what you mean about Long ranged weapons with Echolocators. E-litres (specifically the scoped ones, the normal one doesn't see much use compared to the scope), vanilla 96 gals, those two are a thorn on my side. Though i don't reeeeeaaally want to run cold blooded at the moment since i'd prefer to have a main ability that can back up my mistakes like Quick respawn. Once i get confident in lowering my death rate, i'll start running cold blooded.

If you'd like to know this is the set i run now a days with the H-3

Fugu Bell Hat (AKA Blowfish bell hat) : :ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: (Have i told anyone that i LOVE this hat? It's hilariously cool and it's got a great main ability to boot. Oh and the re-roll was a fluke xD)
Traditional apron: :ability_quickrespawn: |:ability_runspeed::ability_quickrespawn::ability_swimspeed:
Squid girl Shoes: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_unknown: (I forgot the last one, but i think it might of been :ability_quicksuperjump: or :ability_damage: or even :ability_bombrange:)

Phew, sorry for the wall of text. Though i don't know how i could of shortened all that. I hope that's okay to read xD[/QUOTE]

Bomb range up is essential on Moray Towers if you're to harass chargers with your suction bombs. Otherwise you stand no chance at all (I grinded that map for maybe 2 hours against E-Liters a few months back with the H-3 and that was my conclusion), the more members on your team that can harass the snipers the better; don't count on your random team mates having those abilities...

Also, to add on to what @HappyBear801 said, you might want to utilize Cold Blooded. It is arguably the most valuable clothing ability you can have as a H-3; getting located means 10 seconds of not being able to approach with your weapon, maybe just suction bomb spam.

Personally ink-recharge up for me is mainly to aid in suction bomb spam, the main weapon itself is very efficient in terms of turfing. With that said, I want to point out that quick respawn is great to get you back in the action, but having the extra seconds 'respawning' also gives you some 'proper' down time to analyze the map and plan your next move (that's just the faux-optimist in me speaking :D)

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
You're giving me too much credit for the results of your own training and performance. Although I honestly think from A+ onwards is where it gets really tough for the H-3 :x
Well, that might be so, but it's still polite to thank someone when they give out advice when you asked for it xD. Also for me, getting into S rank is something that happens for a short time, then i get booted out, no matter what weapon i use xD A+ has been my home for a while.

Also, to add on to what @HappyBear801 said, you might want to utilize Cold Blooded. It is arguably the most valuable clothing ability you can have as a H-3; getting located means 10 seconds of not being able to approach with your weapon, maybe just suction bomb spam.
Yeah, i've been giving cold blooded a chance a few times, with how i use my clothing, nothing really changes but the fact that not being echolocated for too long is really helpful. since my shirt has two :ability_quicksuperjump: sub abilities on them, it's also a bit of a help in super jumping back to spawn from a tough situation.

While i'm still learning how to be an effective assasin, i can safely say that i quite like using the H-3 and i plan on continuing to use it probably as a main or secondary! (As well as the L-3 which i've been learning as well.)

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Well, that might be so, but it's still polite to thank someone when they give out advice when you asked for it xD. Also for me, getting into S rank is something that happens for a short time, then i get booted out, no matter what weapon i use xD A+ has been my home for a while.
Haha, I'll accept the thanks but the work was purely your own :)

Oh I'd hit S55 before or so with the L-3D long ago but then fell out whilst trying other weapons. Currently I don't really care much about racing up the ranks (I'd like to get into S+ one day, but no hurry) as I prefer to spend my time in Turf Wars which I feel is more meaningful.

Yeah, i've been giving cold blooded a chance a few times, with how i use my clothing, nothing really changes but the fact that not being echolocated for too long is really helpful. since my shirt has two :ability_quicksuperjump: sub abilities on them, it's also a bit of a help in super jumping back to spawn from a tough situation.

While i'm still learning how to be an effective assasin, i can safely say that i quite like using the H-3 and i plan on continuing to use it probably as a main or secondary! (As well as the L-3 which i've been learning as well.)
Just to be clear, I don't think cold-blooded is a must for most weapons. It's just that due to the H-3's design, it needs to get the jump on people for the most part and being echolocated makes that a tough thing to do. On the other hand, if you're constantly getting into trade kills, you could always stack Comeback + Quick Respawn and maybe Special Saver to be that annoying H-3 user who has lots of deaths and kills (and still wins the game). Dying isn't sacred in this game unless you're holding an important position (like E-Liters on Moray Towers).

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
I know this is like, two updates ago but~

Since the Splattershot pro's 5% range buff, the Splat-Pro now outranges the H-3 by a miniscule margin. The weird thing about this is that if you look in game, the Splat-pro and the H-3 actually have the same range Inking wise. The Splat-Pro's "bullet" travels further than the H-3's bullets but the H-3 covers more ink with its bullets, this causes both weapons inking range to be the same (or at least, VERY close). If you go to the testing area, just grab the Splat-pro and fire at it from max range, and then equip the H-3 and fire from the same spot, the h-3 will miss from the Splat-pro's max range but will appear to ink the same area the Splat-Pro could.

This is all very minute and subtle and i don't think you'll probably notice it in game, but i just wanted to point it out.

So there you have it. If you're a Splat pro user, you have the SLIGHTEST edge against the H-3 in ranged combat. That just leaves the question... Which weapon has the advantage in a firefight? The H-3 could probably out last the Splat-pro in terms of Ink efficiency. And the one burst kill is pretty scary in higher ranks. But Splat-pro is more reliable because it doesn't require as much precision. It really depends on what variant of Splat-pro the H-3 is facing. The Vanilla Pro has splatbombs, how the H-3 deals with that will be the deciding factor of who wins. The Forge Pro, as soon as Inkzooka comes it's behind the wall the H-3 goes. And as soon as the Berry gets the special, unless you can splat him before too many bombs pop out or can splat him and escape the bombs, that's it, there's no point in trying without getting a trade. This is a pretty fun match up if you ask me. It gets the gears running that's for sure xD.

Also, I'm thinking of making a guide for the H-3 Nosslenose one day. I mean, i'm no competitive player who would go to tourney's for splatoon. but i feel like giving it a shot. Anyone interested?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom