• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

★ Weapons Tier List ★ [V3.0]

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
All tier lists are subjective. That doesn't really mean we should dismiss discussing what we want to discuss.

We don't discuss tier lists because we need them, we just like to discuss because we are interested on the opinion of whats useful and what's not as useful.

That said, this tier list seems to suck. But instead of complaining why don't we educate?

No really, why don't we discuss something on a discussion board?

EDIT: I snapped, my bad.

Ars Nova

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
creed32
Switch Friend Code
SW-5634-9921-9888
Well for the sake of discussion I would like to argue that the regular splat roller doesn't deserve to be in C but in B. Thanks to the update it takes less to fill up the killer wail and it is fun to trap people with the suction bombs. People are so used to Krak-on that they don't often expect a roller to throw splat bombs.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
Another tier list guide...

I think a point is being missed. Tier lists exists for and are based on tournament results. The only work after analyzing the highest level of competitive play and seeing what and why a certain weapon consistently outperforms others as people find counters to certain things. Given how balanced the weapons are in general, more performance data is needed.

The reason why a lot of the tier lists being made are so hard to agree on is because no one's coming up with actual data. Private battles, and therefore focused tournaments, only became available to us last week. And there's no more solo queue. There needs to be a bit more time spent on each weapon now before tiers can actually be made, because a lot of people are going to have varying perspectives now.

Speaking of which, as a Dual Squelcher user, outperforms a few the guns above it, and yet loses to others, mainly the Chargers, because the Squelcher has a longer TTK than other Shooters and it can't risk having a ranged battle with a OHKO, especially the E-Liter 3k. An argument could probbably be made that the E-Liter is one of the best weapons in the game.

Also no one cares but I still find the original Inkbrush better than it's variant. The only place I currently see where Nouveau shines is TC, being able to toss out mines and shields like candy, but most people don't fall for the mine on tower trick as much anymore, and Bubbler doesn't help you. Of course, with a coordinated team, your speed would allow you to pass around Bubbler quickly, but that would require some very precise play on the whole team's part, and the Inkbrush can't do anything with Bubbler itself since it has to already get close for kills, and you can be pushed back with Bubbler on. Granted you could sneak around them as usual, but between passing the Bubbler around and doing that, you'll probably run out of time. But the again, that's why we need to see more ideas on that. (Even if no one uses Brush. :D)

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't see how Inkbrush can be considered the lowest tier. It is not a perfect weapon by any means, but that is stretching it.

CutestFish

Pro Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
I don't see how Inkbrush can be considered the lowest tier. It is not a perfect weapon by any means, but that is stretching it.
It's basically the worst weapon in the entire game for both ranked modes. Inkbrush Noaveu same thing. Octobrush is at least a smidge above the other inkbrushes.

Reactions: 1o2

NouriZ

Full Squid
NNID
NouriZoo
It's basically the worst weapon in the entire game for both ranked modes. Inkbrush Noaveu same thing. Octobrush is at least a smidge above the other inkbrushes.
I completely and utterly agree. :P

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
I really don't get how people consider Inkbrush the worst weapon in the game. It easily offers the best support, it has the best ground coverage within a small period of time, it builds special with in no time at all, and it can safely camp on the enemy side spawn (probably one of the few weapons that can legitimately "camp", because even if they trap you in their ink, you have the ability to run away without super jumping or running Ink Resistance.)

The only two problems that the Inkbrush has is that it cannot fight from the front and it can't push by itself, but once you learn how to properly flank on all maps, you can easily backstab the entire enemy team, solo cap the zone/point, and then remotely lock them down (Sprinkler to cover you, Inkstrike to slow down counter-approach) or set up for the team (get mines ready, and easily build special for Bubbler).

CutestFish

Pro Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
I really don't get how people consider Inkbrush the worst weapon in the game. It easily offers the best support, it has the best ground coverage within a small period of time, it builds special with in no time at all, and it can safely camp on the enemy side spawn (probably one of the few weapons that can legitimately "camp", because even if they trap you in their ink, you have the ability to run away without super jumping or running Ink Resistance.)

The only two problems that the Inkbrush has is that it cannot fight from the front and it can't push by itself, but once you learn how to properly flank on all maps, you can easily backstab the entire enemy team, solo cap the zone/point, and then remotely lock them down (Sprinkler to cover you, Inkstrike to slow down counter-approach) or set up for the team (get mines ready, and easily build special for Bubbler).
Lowest TTK with the lowest range, many very good players will actually snap around and kill you likely resulting in a trade. Mines are a joke and with the low TTK you just get pushed away super hard when you bubble. Sure it builds special fast but Inkstrike is ok on SZ and mediocre on TC. You aren't camping **** with an Inkbrush. You'll never beating any decent player in a direct 1v1, the best you're gonna get is a trade. Define "support", I see that term thrown around a lot without stating what that actually means.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
"many very good players will actually snap around and kill you"
Assuming I somehow have never faced a good player and avoided this anyway, how are they going to y-snap on you if you're already three strokes in and kill? The only guns I can see doing that are Blasters and a Gal and even then, it's not like you have to stand perfectly still with the Inkbrush to hit someone with it. You also wouldn't pick a fight with someone who clearly sees you running up to them. Pick your battles like with any other weapon.

"You aren't camping **** with an Inkbrush."

I'm not sure why I would camp asterisks with anything, but that's always my main goal in either SZ or TC (if we're not getting pushed back to hell, which is a possibility regardless of weapon choice, naturally), camp the enemy side. Assuming my teammates aren't brain dead, there are 3 people who can easily watch the zone. Meanwhile I can sweep a whole area with my paint in no time at all and easily hold it down for a decent period of time. No one's going to perfectly guess where I'm hiding every time in a large zone, and they can't afford to lose ground by only painting pathways out of spawn - that makes them easier to kill in general. In the event you get caught in a bad scenario, unless you're already stuck or trap yourself in a hallway or have your back against the wall (or run out of paint), you can usually get behind cover quickly enough to funnel them in where you want them or make them realize there's no point in playing tag with you, because now you're a distraction.

"You'll never beat any decent player in a direct 1v1."

Why would I go out of my way to directly 1v1 people? Like I said, pick your battles - any player should go out of there way not to have direct 1v1s. You could be the best shot in the world but your chances of winning encounters are gonna go through the roof if the enemy isn't looking at you. Like I said, you just pick your battles like you do with any other weapon. Even if someone y-snaps, if I'm already 2-3 strokes in and not standing still, if you don't have a Blaster or a Gal, how are you going to take me down any faster? It's not like you shooting a brush user is going to stop them mashing ZR. The other person could run away, but I'm not going to chase after them, that's suicide. Of course if you have more than one person in that situation, that's dicey, but I repeat, pick your battles.

"Support"
Fastest weapon out of the gate at start and can easily solo cap SZ or start getting the push ready by painting ahead in TC.
In general has the fastest ground control out of any weapon due to the flick - you can regain any lost territory without support, and have the speed to run away from most bad situation (tho' of course you'll need the required secondary power of situational awareness and knowing where not to be in general for this to work).
Can easily ignore the objective and loop the map to the enemy side, capture it all solo, and then control that side of the map for as long as you can stay alive. Your enemies are now slowed and you can still pick them off one by one, essentially freeing up the entire map for your team. Granted, the Inkbrush is the only weapon with it's "line" so you could easily anticipate it coming, but you don't have the speed to keep up with it, and you don't have the time to wait and see if it's going to do anything or not. Either someone chases it down, meaning one less player working towards the objective, ignore it, leaving your rear exposed to easy coverage, or you try to juggle this potential "between a rock and a hard place" situation, where you are being gunned down with a potential back death coming your way. Even if a brush did trade in that situation, there's no way he's going to momentarily ignore the firefight behind him, take damage from brush, gun him down, and then going back to shooting them. Of course, your team has to be competent for this to happen, but I think that's to be expected for the "support" to matter.

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
I get that Nozzlenose isn't a weapon that many people use, but that does not, by any means, make it a low tier weapon. The weapons works perfectly fine, just because people can't aim doesn't mean it's bad.

Also your placement of squelchers is way too low, chargers in general are too low, aerosprays are way too high. Overall this list is off.

There really shouldn't be a tier list for weapons at all, they all have advantages and disadvantages. It's entirely up to a player's preference.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I've emphasized this before, and I will continue to do so, THERE ARE NO BAD WEAPONS IN SPLATOON. There are some weapons that may be overpowered comparitably, but there is no BAD weapon. Any type of player can make any weapon good, and, on the other hand, could suck at any weapon as well. If you say that a weapon is bad you either just suck at that weapon or haven't seen it being utilized to its full potential yet. I mean, take my case for example. I suck with the L-3 Nozzlenose and the Classic Squiffer the most, but that in no way makes them bad. Goodness knows how many pinpoint L-3 Nozzlenoses have killed me in Ranked Battles and even in Regular Battles, and I have a friend that plays such a ridiculously good Classic Squiffer that he can carry his team, often to victory, in any mode with it. In my case, the Rapid Blaster Deco is my secondary for the stages that rollers and chargers don't really work on, a weapon that most people seriously suck at, and I almost always am the one carrying my team, usually to a win.

Nerdicon

Inkling
Everything is OP as soon as it kills you.
True there
Though at a higher playing level, everything is OP when it makes me rage quit.
But, as several others have already stated, all the weapons are equal-ish but some are easier to use than others, and some perform better in different modes. I main the Custom Blaster and Range Blaster but I would never use either in turf war (unless I was really salty and wanted free kills) but in Ranked Battle the extra fire power and range is incredibly helpful.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
One person's results is barely enough to bring the inkbrush up... It's still horrible.
This is what I'm talking about. Horrible compared to what? What is the standard here? TTK? Overall benefit to the team? Overall benefit in the match? Actual performance over time?

If there's no standard, there's no tier list. It's just "weapons I think are good and bad", which is just as subjective as "one person's results".

MadMadMorgan

Inkling
Regular splat roller should be higher than krack-on because the suction bomb and killer wail give and answer to its short range. Krak-on has squid beacon and kraken and people think the kraken is so good just because it's a 1 hit kill and people don't know how to Avoid it effectively. Also squid beacons aren't that great.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Regular splat roller should be higher than krack-on because the suction bomb and killer wail give and answer to its short range. Krak-on has squid beacon and kraken and people think the kraken is so good just because it's a 1 hit kill and people don't know how to Avoid it effectively. Also squid beacons aren't that great.
Krak-On is still the best roller in the game. Beakon is god like and kraken is still amazing. The nerf just means, you cant just pop kraken from a thousand miles away, and team wipe anymore.

Benjamin Hellcat

Inkster Jr.
NNID
H3llcat
I like the fact that you took time to do this, but i echo many of the sentiments above... this is too subjective. Especially as a .52 Gal user, i have used both versions and the vanilla version has way more utility and versatility. It can be used effectively on multiple maps and across game modes. Much more so than its deco counterpart. It can switch seamlessly between offense and defense to fit most situations... just an awesome kit.

I didn't read every comment, but that's my take on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom