10 Common misconceptions in splatoon

RubberCF

Senior Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2041-7487-3622
1. Object shredder does NOT affect brella shields.
2. Mini splatling is NOT lightweight, it is in fact middleweight. Similarly, heavy splatling is also middleweight.
3. Tacticooler does NOT cancel out the effects of respawn punisher. Respawn punisher always adds 0.75 seconds to your respawn, and reduces your special gauge by 15%. (The exception is if you have quick respawn on (not including qr from cooler) where it reduces the effect of qr by 80%)
4. Tenacity activates whenever you are at a numbers disadvantage, NOT only when teammates disconnect from the game.
5. Run speed does NOT affect splatanas while firing, nor does it affect brushes or rollers while rolling
6. Thermal ink ONLY activates with a direct hit from your main weapon, indirect hits and sub weapons do not count.
7. Sub power up does NOT increase the damage or radius of your bomb. The exception is ink mine, where its 35 dmg radius is increased.
8. Chargers are NOT hitscan, the bullets have travel time, and shorter range chargers have slower bullets. Some non charger weapons have bullets faster than some chargers (such as nautilus).
9. Sub resistance is NOT the same thing as bomb defense DX from splatoon 2. It does not affect specials (and is worse in other less direct ways).
10. In x rank and challenges, your power is NOT affected by if you KO or get medals, its just based on if you win or lose, and the average powers of each team.

If you know any other misconceptions, put them in the replies and I will add them, with credit. (I'm looking for like, mechanical, misconceptions, not ones based around like the meta or playstyle or anything)

11. You are NOT only matched with people in your rank in open and series. Credit: An'ei
12. Exp tickets do NOT effect how quickly you gain abilities on gear (or catalog xp), but ability tickets do. Credit: Paruko and reelrollsweat
13. Using a drink ticket with a brand that favors the same ability does NOT stack. Similarly, drink tickets do NOT affect rerolls, but brands do. Credit: SolarSpinner
14. There can ONLY be 3 of any boss alive at any time during a salmon run shift. Credit: reelrollsweat
15. Rapid blaster has the SAME aoe size as vblaster. Credit: evanstar
16. When playing with friends, the group MMR is NOT affected by who makes the room. Credit: Bohneevair

Last edited:

Minty!

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2452-0470-2345
Your character's gender/bodytype is NOT determined by hairstyle, it's determined by the "Select your style" option in Player Settings.

reelrollsweat

Semi-Pro Squid
Exp tickets do not effect how quickly you gain abilities on gear, but ability tickets do
similarly, exp tickets only give a multiplier for your level, not your catalog d:

another one i hear a lot: in salmon run there’s a max of 3 of each boss type on the field. i’ve heard a lot of ppl saying they’ve seen 4 stingers or flyfish or something but 3 is the max! tho sometimes you can kill one and another one will spawn immediately after making it feel like 4

guster-animations

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/them
similarly, exp tickets only give a multiplier for your level, not your catalog d:

another one i hear a lot: in salmon run there’s a max of 3 of each boss type on the field. i’ve heard a lot of ppl saying they’ve seen 4 stingers or flyfish or something but 3 is the max! tho sometimes you can kill one and another one will spawn immediately after making it feel like 4
unfortunately so :[

RubberCF

Senior Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2041-7487-3622

I will add that first one to 12
and the second one

Yosi Spring

Pro Squid
Running full QR sets on aggressive weapons is not always the most optimal as it has diminishing returns. At one point QSJ becomes more important to get back into the fight quicker.
Adding to this, QSJ works even if you're constantly getting trades. And QSJ helps you jump back to spawn / to a teammate.

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728
i know pretty much everyone who puts any research into splatoon will know this, but how qr works is generally something i have to explain to people. also that it for some reason never activates on your first death because the trigger is set to off at match start.

Sorcerer

Senior Squid
NNID
JiveSoulBro
Useless, but Splatoon resolves Reefslider as a bomb rather than an attack surrounding the player. This leads to weird instances where the player can clip on geometry, but Reefslider hitbox powers through

DVDo

Inkling
I didn't know about Sub Power Up on Ink Mines! I kinda wish I knew that for when I 3 starred E-liter...

I will contribute a weird quirk about Quick Respawn. It triggers if you haven't splatted someone after your last death. This means QR is guaranteed not to trigger on your first death, since you don't have a previous death yet.

evanstar

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1851-5708-4110
People seem to think that Rapid Blaster has a smaller AOE than other blasters, But it's only a very incredibly few units off of vBlaster, to the point where they're basically the same.

EDIT: they actually are the same value

Sorcerer

Senior Squid
NNID
JiveSoulBro
Until the arrival of S-Blast's jump shot, Clash Blaster had the widest AOE blast radius

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom