• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

4 Hours Between Map Switching

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
4 hours is too long. I think 90 minutes or so would probably be better.
Even though that is better than 1 hour, the time is a little too un even. Sometimes maps would change on a XX:30 time or a o'clock time.

I still think 2-3 hours is best as 2 hours allow a 1 hour break if you play for an hour. 3 hours allow for a lot of flexible, though still kinda long.

In the end I'm fine with 4 hours.

Lochy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lochinator
Even though that is better than 1 hour, the time is a little too un even. Sometimes maps would change on a XX:30 time or a o'clock time.

I still think 2-3 hours is best as 2 hours allow a 1 hour break if you play for an hour. 3 hours allow for a lot of flexible, though still kinda long.

In the end I'm fine with 4 hours.
Yeah i just thought of 2 hours which sounds way better than 90 minutes. Sometimes I'm a silly goof when i post ;)

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
I am more of a fan of about 3 hours but I can appreciate the reason why they made the rotation so long. I personally am fine with the time but I can see why people would dislike it.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I didn't and I mean you aren't always playing for four hours straight keep that in mind.
Yeah, but I play games for long periods of time so if you're practicing for games or anything you are stuck on the same maps until lobbies are added, if you can even change the map for those.

Crucifigo

Pro Squid
NNID
Crucifigo
4hrs is a bit too long, definitely. I can easily play games from 10am 'til 11pm, and while I wouldn't sit on my butt playing Splatoon for 10 hours straight unless Youtube was paying me for ad time, I do plan on investing a lot of time in this. I'm very easily entertained so I doubt it will affect me much (can always pop back to Sims 2 between matches and have pretend squids), but it should be lower.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Im totally fine with the 4 Hour waiting Time~ When i play a Game i need many breaks cause i get bored very fast and theres so much to do in life and when i come back after a ~4 hour break i have 2 different Maps :3

ssbness

Inkling
NNID
itsamemario9000
4hrs is a bit too long, definitely. I can easily play games from 10am 'til 11pm, and while I wouldn't sit on my butt playing Splatoon for 10 hours straight unless Youtube was paying me for ad time, I do plan on investing a lot of time in this. I'm very easily entertained so I doubt it will affect me much (can always pop back to Sims 2 between matches and have pretend squids), but it should be lower.
I agree highly. I'm pretty easily entertained, but 4 hours doing the same thing (well y'know, matches are different but the same maps is boring) is just too much to wait. I share the same guilt of playing games for 10 hours straight, one time I literally got home from school, and played the same game until about 12am.

ChibiChrissy

Inkling
I don't see myself playing the game for than 1-2 hours at a time so the 4 hour rotation is okay, it also lets you get skilled at the current maps and let's you adjust your play style for the session instead of frantically switching between stages and strategies if the rotation was shorter or more maps were added. The only problem i see with having two maps per 4 hours is when they add more over the summer, then you may end up not seeing a certain map for a LONG time. Right now with 5 i see it as a nice spread.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
In case 4 hours is too long, just play another game for a the remainder of the time, or do some chores, homework or anything else you have in your home.
There is also the single player which some people may play inbetween matches.

Be creative! A good person can work around the flaws!

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
The four hour cycle is questionable, yes. But, I can see the cycle being this long, because of how Nintendo is trying to remind you to take breaks in a lot of their games now a days. It would be pretty easy for the casual gamer to get bored of playing the same two maps, for the next four hours; subliminal message maybe? Then again, Nintendo was never scared to out right say, "HEY TAKE A BREAK YA SCRUB!"

RiDEL

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RiDEL_Puff
I feel that the four hours between two maps is fine for the most part, though I do think reducing it to three or two would be a lot better. With the recent patches Nintendo has been doing to Smash as a result of outcry from the competitive community I wouldn't doubt if they did the same for Splatoon.

I also have this strange feeling that there won't be any truly horrid maps as the limited selection given to us at launch suggest that a lot of thought was put towards making them enjoyable. I mean there are going to be maps that you will enjoy more then others but they look pretty tame for the most part.

PerfektNerD

The Villain You Need
NNID
Perfekt
The decision to go with this, along with several other choices, kind of made more sense to me when considering how the devs are hoping to maintain the early game meta. Very much seems to be based on allowing the players to get accustomed to several features, be it the amount of perks you can play with, the guns that are available or even things like the game's controls. It surprised me how incredibly perk-and-gear driven that Splatoon is, almost moreso than TF2 is.

And by those standards I think that having a rotation of maps isn't a bad idea in theory because it means that most players are incentivized to actively explore how to best apply the metagame, what works best and so forth.

The only issue I have is that four hours might seem a bit... long, at least when you think about it. I'd like to hope that the more maps we get, the shorter the time will be. I could see 3 or 2 hours work for its benefit more, because as it stands it isn't only the maps that are slightly limited. We're also getting Ranked modes locked before we've spent time in the Regular ones.
I don't think 4 hours is actually that long. When I played last night I was glad that I had that much time to really get to know the ins and outs of each map and try out all the weapons on each of them to cement a strategy. We know they're planning 3 map rotations in the future, my guess is when the community knows the maps well enough they'll open the floodgates more. Plus a ton of new maps are coming. :D

Plus, that news cast can get annoying if it happens too often haha

InkDaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Eyal9070
I think it should be every 2 hours or 1 hour idk just shorter

Greeny

Inkling
NNID
SpeedDeoxys
I would rather prefer if could give 3 maps at a time instead of two. Like right now, the only maps that I can play are Blackbelly Skatepark and Walleye Warehouse but I don't like the latter of them two, so I only like playing the Skatepark for the next 4 hours.

ZypkerGaming

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ZypkerGaming
It reminds me of when they only gave three options for tracks in Mario Kart 8 online.

I think cutting it down to 2 hours would be MUCH better, though 90 minutes seems perfect, I think regular hour intervals will be the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom