• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

After the 2.7.0 update what trends have you started to notice?

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I REALLY hate Hydras now (playing against). Please tell me im not the only one. How do you guys deal with them?

Magnus0

Pro Squid
I REALLY hate Hydras now (playing against). Please tell me im not the only one. How do you guys deal with them?
Throwing bombs at their feet forces them to stop charging/firing. E-litres can usually pick them off quite easily too, because Hydras are immobile and thus easy to snipe.

Also, if you can't splat them, join them!

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Throwing bombs at their feet forces them to stop charging/firing. E-litres can usually pick them off quite easily too, because Hydras are immobile and thus easy to snipe.

Also, if you can't splat them, join them!
Ah i generally play .96 or jet. But i may try pro on hydra freindly maps. I honestly considered picking up hydra but that staying in a general area and immobility is a bit wierd for me.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Giving and receiving, I'm now really starting to feel those buffs to the buffs to the Sloshers. I hardly see Tri-Sloshers and Sloshing Machines anymore. And fighting Sloshers with a Sloshing Machine can be troublesome for me.

Questioning myself whether I should continue attempting to improve on the Eliters and keep using the splat chargers, or instead just focus on the Squiffers and Bamboozlers.

Award

Magnus has it mostly right....anything that makes them stop makes them helpless. Bombs (and a single shot from a 96!) will do that. Never EVER approach a charged hydra that's shooting (or any splatling for that matter), but hydra has a long reload time. Like dynamos, that's the window to use. Though unlike dynamos don't underestimate their uncharged shot if they know you're coming ;) I tend to prioritize taking out hydras often even more than chargers, because I know they damage they can do. I hate when I take a hydra and I'm against a hydra. "there goes my advantage"

Giving and receiving, I'm now really starting to feel those buffs to the buffs to the Sloshers. I hardly see Tri-Sloshers and Sloshing Machines anymore. And fighting Sloshers with a Sloshing Machine can be troublesome for me.

Questioning myself whether I should continue attempting to improve on the Eliters and keep using the splat chargers, or instead just focus on the Squiffers and Bamboozlers.
Just play 'em all! :)

Though I agree with the above, the squiffer still has limited REAL use other than being fun. It needs a faster charge to be viable. But I've seen some very dangerous squiffers. And I'm starting to reconsider the value of eliter. The range is great, but what percentage of my kills with an eliter are outside the newly increased range of splatterscope? Not many I'd guess. Sniping across the board in museum is one of the few really beneficial times I can think of. The new splatterscope even reaches the edge of the other side of Moray (as my splatterscope opponent showed me numerous times one match.)

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Berry Pros and New Squiffer, they're everywhere!
I'm happy to see less Tentateks, at least now we've got new colors! :D

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
You guys know that sound when you get echolocated and you pretty much hear it in every single ranked match? It took me until today to notice but echolocation is super rare now. I heard the sound today because of n-zaps and duals and it just reminded me how rare vanilla e-litres are now. I've been seeing many more custom variants than the normal one. And i'm talking S and S+ with port mackerel and museum in rotation. Seriously, i haven't seen a single one this entire rotation. Heck, i saw more squiffers than all the sniper chargers combined. The nerfs must have hit the e-litres hard.

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
You guys know that sound when you get echolocated and you pretty much hear it in every single ranked match? It took me until today to notice but echolocation is super rare now. I heard the sound today because of n-zaps and duals and it just reminded me how rare vanilla e-litres are now. I've been seeing many more custom variants than the normal one. And i'm talking S and S+ with port mackerel and museum in rotation. Seriously, i haven't seen a single one this entire rotation. Heck, i saw more squiffers than all the sniper chargers combined. The nerfs must have hit the e-litres hard.
Jumping on the Squiffer part, I have to agree. I battled two teams full of squiffers. There hasn't been a single ranked match where I haven't run into at least one squiffer user, since 2.7.0.

Rabite

Inkster Jr.
NNID
cboyd1987
Honestly I'm starting to really wonder about eliters viability versus splatterscope overall after that nerf. It still has the range, but since splatterscope got the range buff, there's still so little difference between what the two can do and splatterscope is far more mobile and gets twice as many shots in half the time. I didn't want to believe it, I love my eliter, and I even learned to love burst bombs, but that bit of extra range aside it's starting to feel like splatterscope is simply a better charger now.
Wish more players got that memo, charger meta is still out of control. Regardless of the rotation I can't seem to play this game without there being four E-Liter scopes in the current lobby. There are more than 80 weapons, what is the overwhelming fascination with this dumb gun?

I wish I saw more sloshers and brushes. The soda slosher is pretty cool, but its kit has yet to make the weapons any more popular than they are.

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
Even now when not fully charged, the splat charger has more range than a fully charged Squiffer. It's weird that they're really popular right now, it must be because of the kits since the weapon itself is pretty obsolete.

...that, or the lack of E-liters.

Seriously, I LOVE the range buff for the Splatterscope/Splat Charger. I stated before that being forced to fully charge for me has resulted in more time to aim and therefore more on-point splats. Adding to that, i've been getting splats that I don't expect to reach because of the range buff. And since my damage-up stacking is useless when being forced to fully charge, i've been stacking the next best thing... Ink saver main! I've always loved ink saver main, it's my favorite ability. So being able to fire as much as I want, being more accurate with my aim, and being able to shoot a little bit further, and this is probably my favorite update since getting them game (for Splatterscope, anyways).

The only thing though is it's pretty much killed my enthusiasm for getting good at the E-liter, not when my favorite gun of all time has gotten even better!

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Yet you like the Soda and it's more costly splat bombs. :L

I have to disagree with the notion that if two weapons have the same kit only one of them is worth using. As long as the main weapons have differing strengths and weaknesses which they very much do in the case of Tri vs. Zimi and SloshDeco vs. 96Deco, then, well, they're two different weapons, not one weapon just being a worse version of the other! It's how I love the Slosher Deco while not particularly caring for the 96. Gal Deco despite them having the same exact kits. Different stats, different weapon types, different strokes for different folks!
I just don't get on with Splash Walls, and even if the Splat Bombs are more ink costly (don't understand why, Splash Walls should be the most ink intensive sub), you can start recovering ink almost immediately after throwing it. I have a main of Ink Recovery and 3 subs of Ink Saver Sub, and I always go back into my ink when I throw a bomb to start recovering ink from it. Since 2.2.0, you're left with a 2 second ink cooldown time after throwing one, so unless you invest heavily in Ink Saver Main & Sub, the Deco Slosher is left with 5 sloshes for those 2 seconds, which is bad when Walls can be destroyed faster than that. Splash Walls don't have much use anymore, aside from throwing them on the Tower or down narrow side alleys, and the Inkzooka is a better special than the Kraken, so overall I prefer the Soda to the Deco, because Splash Walls are way too rigid to do things with. I always assumed that the Splash Wall was more ink intensive than the bombs, so I'm surprised to see it's not the case.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I just don't get on with Splash Walls, and even if the Splat Bombs are more ink costly (don't understand why, Splash Walls should be the most ink intensive sub), you can start recovering ink almost immediately after throwing it. I have a main of Ink Recovery and 3 subs of Ink Saver Sub, and I always go back into my ink when I throw a bomb to start recovering ink from it. Since 2.2.0, you're left with a 2 second ink cooldown time after throwing one, so unless you invest heavily in Ink Saver Main & Sub, the Deco Slosher is left with 5 sloshes for those 2 seconds, which is bad when Walls can be destroyed faster than that. Splash Walls don't have much use anymore, aside from throwing them on the Tower or down narrow side alleys, and the Inkzooka is a better special than the Kraken, so overall I prefer the Soda to the Deco, because Splash Walls are way too rigid to do things with. I always assumed that the Splash Wall was more ink intensive than the bombs, so I'm surprised to see it's not the case.
A Splat Bomb by itself can kill and spread ink, a Splash Wall wont be doing any of that on it's own, only when combined with the main weapon, so naturally you need to be able to shoot after throwing one otherwise it'd be mostly useless. The Slosher get's 6 sloshes after throwing a Wall on a full tank, which is more than enough to last the 2 seconds (1.87 to be exact) before you can recover ink again. A Wall can only be killed faster than that by multiple Squids, and even then that's still plenty of time to kill or escape. At the highlighted part of your post, cmon now you have to know that's not true and that they're widely regarded as the best sub weapon. Even if you haven't used it for yourself you should have seen it's effectiveness by all the Gals everywhere which are so popular because of the Wall. It's perfectly fine if you prefer the Soda over the Deco, I have no issue with that whatsoever. I think I like the Soda more aswell due to it's superior versatility, but doesn't really matter, I love both!

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Re:buckets - I use both mentioned variants a large amount (somewhat more the Soda, but not significantly) and find that both Subs work just fine with them. In fact, their Specials are a greater influence on which I'll use (if either), as I think that both Subs can be utilised fairly well on most stages (Splat Bombs are universally-applicable and Splash Walls can be used wherever there's a narrow gap, a short TC Tower or a dangerous perch for ranged attackers).

But, in a way, the Deco winds up a more supportive weapon than the Soda, whereby the Wall works best when in a group but the Bombs are great for scaring off enemies on your own. Also, I find that the Inkzooka gets me more splats than the Kraken, typically; the latter just scatters opponents for 9 or so seconds a lot of the time, but that's great if we need to make a push or regroup (and less vulnerable than the 'zooka in an open space).

The classic Slosher, by the way, has completely fallen aside in my usage - it was my most-used weapon by a long shot for ages, but between the Burst Bomb nerf and the Soda, I've found it harder to justify. Still, pulled it out for the first time in a while the other day in SZ and loved it, particularly the very real ability to take out advancing opponents with just the two bombs available (with their improved hitboxes).

Back to the thread's topic. It's interesting to see just how much alternate Shooters have gained in usage - it's all been said, but I'll reinforce that N-Zaps and Splashes are all over the place now, at least relative to before. Also, Jets are significantly better than they used to be - not just the weapons themselves but those who use them. I always used to observe that a Squelcher (either flavour) was likely to get the worst or second-worst K/D on their team, and not clearly make any other strong contributions. Now, they're much more capable - I'm not entirely sure why that is, though.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
And I'm starting to reconsider the value of eliter. The range is great, but what percentage of my kills with an eliter are outside the newly increased range of splatterscope? Not many I'd guess. Sniping across the board in museum is one of the few really beneficial times I can think of. The new splatterscope even reaches the edge of the other side of Moray (as my splatterscope opponent showed me numerous times one match.)
I hate to admit it, but I'm slowly starting to feel the same ever since the buff of the Hero Charger/Splatcharger. I would never even start to think that if they hadn't also massively nerfed the range for uncharged shots, which is for the E-Liter a way more lethal nerf than it is for the Splatcharger. But on the other hand, the E-Liter nerf has brought so many Splatchargers to rise, and with so many more people using the Splatcharger instead of the E-Liter, it's just such a hard step to part from the one weapon that can outrange them. Not to mention that, at least in my opinion, the E-Liter has the absolute superior sub- and special weapons, which is still a big factor even for a long-range charger type.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Re:buckets - I use both mentioned variants a large amount (somewhat more the Soda, but not significantly) and find that both Subs work just fine with them. In fact, their Specials are a greater influence on which I'll use (if either), as I think that both Subs can be utilised fairly well on most stages (Splat Bombs are universally-applicable and Splash Walls can be used wherever there's a narrow gap, a short TC Tower or a dangerous perch for ranged attackers).

But, in a way, the Deco winds up a more supportive weapon than the Soda, whereby the Wall works best when in a group but the Bombs are great for scaring off enemies on your own. Also, I find that the Inkzooka gets me more splats than the Kraken, typically; the latter just scatters opponents for 9 or so seconds a lot of the time, but that's great if we need to make a push or regroup (and less vulnerable than the 'zooka in an open space).

The classic Slosher, by the way, has completely fallen aside in my usage - it was my most-used weapon by a long shot for ages, but between the Burst Bomb nerf and the Soda, I've found it harder to justify. Still, pulled it out for the first time in a while the other day in SZ and loved it, particularly the very real ability to take out advancing opponents with just the two bombs available (with their improved hitboxes).

Back to the thread's topic. It's interesting to see just how much alternate Shooters have gained in usage - it's all been said, but I'll reinforce that N-Zaps and Splashes are all over the place now, at least relative to before. Also, Jets are significantly better than they used to be - not just the weapons themselves but those who use them. I always used to observe that a Squelcher (either flavour) was likely to get the worst or second-worst K/D on their team, and not clearly make any other strong contributions. Now, they're much more capable - I'm not entirely sure why that is, though.
This is just my personal opinion from my Jet Squelcher experiences for why I feel I went from loving the squelcher to soulmate.

For me the Jet Squelcher prior to last two patches

* Consumed alot of ink; therefore limiting time spent playing compared to recovery.
* Had slow movement; harder to strafe and caused players to more likely weaken an enemy than kill them.
*Burst Bombs; weaker and you had to be somewhat accurate since they dont cover too much area ( i was not accurate bb user)
*Charger dominant enviorment; unless a map benefited a jet, a charger could easily keep us in check imo.
*Slow to build special

All of that is mostly resolved now.

* Ink consumption; with ink abilities getting buffed, Jets are spending much more time shooting than recovering ink. For some it also freed ability slots up.
*Faster Movement; Now having the standard speed of a .52 compared to having the run speed of a .96, Jets are way better at strafing and finishing kills.
*Burst Bombs; tho it consume more ink, it deals more damage and covers wider area. Again, allowing Jets to confirm kills more often rather than just weakening.
*Chargers are mortal; before chargers were essentially a restraint on my playstyle and i found them difficult to kill at times. Now they are just another weapon.
*Special; With Jets being classified in the Light catergory and Tenacity getting boosts, players see their special more often which increases thier contributions in games.

In general, Jets got alot of buffs whereas alot of other things in the game enviorment got nerfed. I dont think Jet players got all that good overnight. Imo, pre-patches Jet players were playing hard mode where other weapon users were playing normal mode. Jet players are just playing the same mode as everyone else now.

Again above is just my opinions.

Last edited:

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
Kind of late to the party here, but I really love the rebalancing pulled off on the Burst Bomb.

Its changes changed its focus away from being a weapon that heavily compensates for a weapon's poor close range capabilities (you know which one I'm talking about) to a great way to harrass enemies and confirm almost-splats. Not to mention that the increase in coverage makes it an excelent tool to paint climbable walls ASAP, particularly in Bluefin Depot.

Last edited:

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
Last night tc. Bluefin depot and moray towers. A- and a ranked. Eliters are back. They have the range in those levels to still be a major pain. Nothing my luna blaster cant hunt down and pop execution style tho:) gimme support up a wall and ill render them a non factor. Seeing a LOT more custom range blasters. Seeing hydra splatlings and rapid blasters which both used to be pretty rare in ranked. Remember kids if nobody rides the tower u cant win. Bomb sniffer is still virtually indrspensible as foot wear, now even moreso.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Just had a 4 hour ranked session with not a single Wasabi, only Tentateks and Vanillas, so I think the new weapon hype is definitely starting to wear off.

Award

Kind of late to the party here, but I really love the rebalancing pulled off on the Burst Bomb.

Its changes changed its focus away from being a weapon that heavily compensates for a weapon's poor close range capabilities (you know which one I'm talking about) to a great way to harrass enemies and confirm almost-splats. Not to mention that the increase in coverage makes it an excelent tool to paint climbable walls ASAP, particularly in Bluefin Depot.
IMO it's an even BETTER weapon to compensate said weapon's poor close range abilities now. Burst bombs were a big buff for those who AIM the things rather than spamming 4 hoping to hit "something" :) that said the main gun there was nerfed so hard I'm really unsure if it's worth it.

Last night tc. Bluefin depot and moray towers. A- and a ranked. Eliters are back. They have the range in those levels to still be a major pain. Nothing my luna blaster cant hunt down and pop execution style tho:) gimme support up a wall and ill render them a non factor. Seeing a LOT more custom range blasters. Seeing hydra splatlings and rapid blasters which both used to be pretty rare in ranked. Remember kids if nobody rides the tower u cant win. Bomb sniffer is still virtually indrspensible as foot wear, now even moreso.
I've noticed a lot of eliters returning, but I can't say if they're really as effective as before. Though I had a series of RM rounds so tough yesterday I had to back off ALL the chargers and even the hydra and go krak-on. It was pretty weird. Though matchmaking was pairing all chargers and dynamos and hydras on one team and all wasabis & gals on the other....so my team never had turf. The bane of any sniper. I don't see the eliters really dominating as they used to, and with the range nerf, I see why. And with the range BUFF on splatterscope... I still underestimate that thing. I always assume they can't reach my eliter perch....and they can now.

I've gone back and forth on bomb sniffer. I never used it before, then after 2.;7 with bombs EVERYWHERE I started using it. Then I wasn't sure I was benefiting from it or not and I haven't used it recently. Yeah I get caught by unseen bombs. But I tend to miss the little skulls anyway because they're SO omnipresent now you have to ignore them.

Remember kids if nobody rides the tower u cant win.
WTF? You mean I wasn't supposed to follow my team in merely watching the tower? I mean, it's called Tower Control for a reason. You're supposed to clear out the area around where the tower docks so it's under your control, right? Srsly, in solo 1 out of every 6 teams has someone other than me riding the tower. Squads? Everyone rides the tower (usually.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom