• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ancho-V Games NOW RELEASED!

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I'm liking this more and more. I discovered the access paths all the way on the outsides for the first time after playing dozens of times. A map that has paths you don't even know about until playing it often are certainly well designed. The one on the far left is obvious, I just followed it. The one on the right I really never noticed before (hint: The fan platform directly in front of spawn is NOT just for getting to the mid hall faster - there's a side path.)

Award

By the way, I tested sprinklers - they don't work on the propellers at all. Which is good, since that prevents keeping them in a permanent extended position.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I like this map. It has a nice, close quarters feel with lots of action in the center but with many ways to get into the center and may ways to approach the other team's base. The fans add some depth without being too gimmicky, and the design looks overall original.

But that reminds me one thing I forgot to mention is I noticed carbon roller flings seem to move the fans/platforms more per fling that individual bullets of, say, octoshot, so the fans do seem to be balanced based on the inking needs of different weapons.

Has anyone tried a full charger shot on it to see if it does a big spin in one hit?
It seems to be somewhat damage based: weapons like Chargers can make it go crazy in one hit, but an Octobrush a solid distance from the fan does almost nothing.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I like this map. It has a nice, close quarters feel with lots of action in the center but with many ways to get into the center and may ways to approach the other team's base. The fans add some depth without being too gimmicky, and the design looks overall original.

It seems to be somewhat damage based: weapons like Chargers can make it go crazy in one hit, but an Octobrush a solid distance from the fan does almost nothing.
That is also true to single player (even though that has a limited selection of Damage options with which to work).

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I need to play it more before I really decide how I feel about it. It was alright on SZ and TC, I think I prefered TC. I dont think I'm in love with it yet but hoping it grows on me. And I still need to play with a lot more weapons. Particularly on SZ I felt pretty confined to an ink management role by using lots of inkstrikes and keeping the zone occupied and tended to. Maybe because I wasnt too familiar with the various ins and outs of the map, I was unable to effectively play an offensive role.

A lot of maps have grown on me and I've fallen out of favor with others, so its hard to say how I will feel with Ancho-V in the long run. For example I loved Saltspray back when the game was first released, but now it is one of my least favorites. I enjoyed Museum when it was new but now I think its quite terrible.

Last edited:

Award

One maneuver I think more people should be aware of is the jump across to the opposite base from a fully extended fan platform on your OWN side. I never thought to try it and never saw anyone do it. I was sniping from the mid-section platform over mid and saw this squid fly right over my head from across the aisle and was like WTF?!?! I tried it myself, and it indeed works. So until that becomes well known, be on the lookout for flying squids jumping from their OWN propeller platform into your base's ledge without having to use YOUR propeller platform.

I suspect that will be like the "left side wall of Moray in RM" cheat feature that your enemy may know it's there, but your teammates probably will not!

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Okay, I played it on the morning after it came out (Turf War and Rainmaker), and I don't know if other people had it happen to them, but did anyone else find teammates who were absolutely OBSESSED with raising those platforms, when they had no reason to do so? I've had many cases where I'm standing on the fully-lowered platform and lining my aim up with an opponent to go in for the splat, only to have a teammate behind me shoot at the fan and raise the platform, causing me to miss and give away my position. They don't even get on the platform! They just pass on by, turn and shoot at the fan, and keep going. It's as if they're telling me, "Hey, did you know you can raise the platforms by shooting at the fan?"

Yes! I DO know you can do that, and I didn't want it raised!

I've also had cases where I'm on the central ground and the platforms raise, blocking some areas I was planning on inking, or I get ambushed because I find an opponent but the wall comes up, blocking my view.

I've had matches where those platforms just go up and down, up and down, up and down the whole match. Both of them. I don't know why players (on both sides) are so fixated on them.

Last edited:

Award

Okay, I played it on the morning after it came out (Turf War and Rainmaker), and I don't know if other people had it happen to them, but did anyone else find teammates who were absolutely OBSESSED with raising those platforms, when they had no reason to do so? I've had many cases where I'm standing on the fully-lowered platform and lining my aim up with an opponent to go in for the splat, only to have a teammate behind me shoot at the fan and raise the platform, causing me to miss and give away my position. They don't even get on the platform! They just pass on by, turn and shoot at the fan, and keep going. It's as if they're telling me, "Hey, did you know you can raise the platforms by shooting at the fan?"

I've also had cases where I'm on the central ground and the platforms raise, blocking some areas I was planning on inking, or I get ambushed because I find an opponent but the wall comes up, blocking my view.

I've had matches where those platforms just go up and down, up and down, up and down the whole match. Both of them. I don't know why players (on both sides) are so fixated on them.
You SERIOUSLY need to find new teammates. I mean, my team mates are bad, and most of us get awful teammates that fell out of Joan's turnip bag yesterday but yours seem to be unable to identify the location of their toes. :p If you should ever encounter even my bad teammates you'd think a freight train just ran over your spawn. :p Squad, join a clan, pay random school children to join your team, play COD, do whatever it takes to get new teammates! ;)

The fans are always in play for me, but I think that's an "inker" trait you're describing (Whee! Spinny things!) - in my killer pool games, if the platform goes up it means, "bail the heck out of there NOW there's a bubbler/bombrush/crazed-octobrush-or-Jr. inkoming!!" I've seen some defensive uses of them (enemies knowing I'm watching with eliter/hydra will raise them to duck behind them for cover or lift them high enough that I can't shoot over the ledge.) But all "unattended" platform lifts seem to be for the purpose of harassment/distraction, not just "because spinny things." :)

97Stephen

Pro Squid

Every time I play a charger on this map this happens. I line up the perfect shot and then one of my teammates spins the platform up just as I let go. It drives me nuts.

Award

Every time I play a charger on this map this happens. I line up the perfect shot and then one of my teammates spins the platform up just as I let go. It drives me nuts.
Is it in the little doorway up the left hand side? Yeah that can get annoying, but half the time it happens it's because the enemy is about to jump on your head from it, not because your team is playing with the fans! :) At least that's how it works for me!

Celeste

Inkling
NNID
Celestefey
I finally managed to play on this map tonight and I really like it so far! It's quite small but I like that because it means it's a lot more chaotic. What I like doing is hiding behind the wall that's next to the fan by my team's base, and splatting enemies who go up on the fans because they haven't realised I'm there. I also like the fact that I can still stand up on raised platforms and ink quite a large proportion of the map. I mostly use the .52 gal deco too which isn't anything really long range but not short range either.

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
I haven't tried it out without swim speed, but if you raise your team's propeller platform all the way, you can actually take a leap of faith over into the enemy's territory. It's been a good way to get surprise kills on people camping up there.

Also, I'd love to try playing this stage being able to talk with my teammates over voice chat. Earlier playing a charger I had to snipe the fan, then quickly turn around to snipe from my new perch, back and forth frantically. With voice chat I could just tell a teammate to keep firing at the fan while I shoot some people out from the perch!

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I've played this map on Splat Zones and Rainmaker.
Splat Zones was pretty cool, it's important to use the fan controlled plataforms on your side, I been saved many times against Krakens using it! Placing beakons behind it is somewhere safe.
Rainmaker was cool, everyone was lost at first but it was fun!

Using reckon gives you the chance to look at cool details like Jellonzos eating or 6-day calendar.

Award

I've played this map on Splat Zones and Rainmaker.
Splat Zones was pretty cool, it's important to use the fan controlled plataforms on your side, I been saved many times against Krakens using it! Placing beakons behind it is somewhere safe.
Rainmaker was cool, everyone was lost at first but it was fun!

Using reckon gives you the chance to look at cool details like Jellonzos eating or 6-day calendar.
I love the Jellyfish madly typing in the glass cube headbanging with his Studio Headphones on. :D

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Network administrators will go mad with all those patch pannels going up and down! :D

stitchedwithlove

Full Squid
NNID
stitchedwithlove
I absolutely adore this map! I love how you can control the map and the flow of the battle using the fans.

If I'm using a splatterscope sometimes I'll cheekily hit the fans if an enemy is approaching them so that they're trapped. Cruel, I know. :P The splatterscope is also pretty handy for helping teammates too. Sometimes I'll see an inkbrush or roller struggling to raise the platform, so I'll snipe the fan and then they'll give me a little, "Nice!/Booyah!".

CptKipz

Inkling
NNID
Zachary54
Ancho-V is definitely one of my favorites, I've liked it in pretty much every mode, but Turf War was kinda meh. As a frequent user of the Kelp Splatterscope, I actually hated sniping. It was too hard for me to keep track of people and line up shots with the constantly moving platforms. On the other hand, it did feel nice to raise a platform as my teammate was retreating, allowing him to flee to the other side of the map before getting splatted, really the only good thing I accomplished sniping on Ancho-V xD
Did anyone else notice that if you go by the elevator doors... (I think you can only go directly next to it in Turf and Zones, but you can still see it in the other two modes) ...you can see a small map of a.. map. It doesn't really match up with any of the current maps, but the start up kinda-sorta looks like Walleye. I kinda assumed it was an early version of Ancho-V, an unused map idea, or maybe the map layout of a different floor of the building (it is by an elevator after all)
Any thoughts? :P

Mietz

Inkling
NNID
Maunzemietz1337
I think this map is pretty sniper friendly but the lifts can be used really quick by burst bombs though.

Award

It's a mixed bag for sniping. It can be amazing, but it depends who you're playing. It's easy for high skill players to shut down sniping pretty effectively, confining you to one or two locations that you can still watch, but have a limited view of places to shoot. It's also hard for snipers once battle moves into the bases, kind of like Underpass, except Underpass doesn't have that nice snipable mid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom