• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Any stages you simply despise!?

datkoops

Inkling
NNID
datkoops
Switch Friend Code
SW-7428-5689-5189
I pretty much agree with Danku. I can see why you'd get aggravated with Towers if you try to play mid a lot, but I try to make my way through mid and into a flank position very quickly. Coz yeah, if you're in mid you can get rained on from a million different spots. Don't play mid, cover it from above and keep moving. There are so many ways to climb the enemy team's turf that it provides a decent mix up for getting aggressive.

I do hate Humpback, it just feels like there is no reward for controlling mid, you just die from all sides no matter what XD

I also don't enjoy Port Mackerel, I think having such long lanes on ground level is annoying. It's basically a sniper's playground as long as their teammates can keep you from flanking them, and it's even worse if they get up on a box somewhere. There are barely any walls tall enough to limit a sniper's ability.

Arky_Lynx

Inkling
NNID
Arceale
Switch Friend Code
SW-7930-4097-5703
Moray Towers by far. Even though I do like to use chargers, the map's big verticality is still annoying for me.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I liked Shifty Station a lot, actually. You have to pay attention to the movement pattern to avoid wasting time or getting cornered by surprise, but that's an extra element of strategy. Just don't use a Splashdown while a platform is moving out from under you. I made that mistake once, most spectacular plunge to my death ever.

Moray Towers can be frustrating, but at least it's different. The Reef, Inkblot, Main Stage, Humpback, they're all really bland designs and I would hardly notice if one of them disappeared forever.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
i'm surprised by all the hate for moray. like it's still not a fantastic stage but it now gives you considerably more options for flanking and chargers in general are a lot less effective.

the stage that really bothers me is starfish mainstage. the whole stage feels like a giant flank route, and the charger perches both have no view over anything AND are super vulnerable. unless you're REALLY good/lucky (and your opponents dumb enough to linger in the few areas you have view over) you're pretty much wasting space.

--on ranked most stages are pretty fine, it's just in TW where the whole stage is active all at once

AwesomeCookie

Pro Squid
Apartment In Inkopolis With His 3 Friends
Switch Friend Code
SW-7071-8973-2321
i'm surprised by all the hate for moray. like it's still not a fantastic stage but it now gives you considerably more options for flanking and chargers in general are a lot less effective.

the stage that really bothers me is starfish mainstage. the whole stage feels like a giant flank route, and the charger perches both have no view over anything AND are super vulnerable. unless you're REALLY good/lucky (and your opponents dumb enough to linger in the few areas you have view over) you're pretty much wasting space.

--on ranked most stages are pretty fine, it's just in TW where the whole stage is active all at once
Dang. Starfish Mainstage is actually one of my favorites. Although I do understand why you hate it.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
I pretty much agree with Danku. I can see why you'd get aggravated with Towers if you try to play mid a lot, but I try to make my way through mid and into a flank position very quickly. Coz yeah, if you're in mid you can get rained on from a million different spots. Don't play mid, cover it from above and keep moving. There are so many ways to climb the enemy team's turf that it provides a decent mix up for getting aggressive.

I do hate Humpback, it just feels like there is no reward for controlling mid, you just die from all sides no matter what XD

I also don't enjoy Port Mackerel, I think having such long lanes on ground level is annoying. It's basically a sniper's playground as long as their teammates can keep you from flanking them, and it's even worse if they get up on a box somewhere. There are barely any walls tall enough to limit a sniper's ability.
i like humpback, but you need someone watching the left side constantly. it's a pretty fundamentally flawed stage, though. it feels like they intended mid to be a mini-fortress but tbh mid is really awful to hold from mid. curves are just too hard to shoot around and range in this game is much shorter than the massive central curve.

anywayy,
as a charger i've found it effective just to protect the left side, inking/guarding the corridor, taking the lookout, hopping back and forth between there and the edge of mid, and occasionally making a lap through to the other side.

you know, what this stage could REALLY use is that large inkable block from ranked that lets you hop back into spawn so there is a faster way to attack flanks rather than being pretty much trapped in mid.

PaissaBrat

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7923-7917-2679
Shifty. I despite this stage so much. Curling Bombs get screwed.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Some how they managed to make moray towers worse. Im kinda on the fence with the ship yard. Kinda feels like hammerhead bridge on crack.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
I don't really hate any new stage, but I do miss some of the old ones and thought they had cooler concepts =/

Except for Shifty! Though many hate Shifty, I actually like that stage for being innovative *shrug*

Turd

Inkling
NNID
yoshi_shioti
Switch Friend Code
SW-2964-4020-4043
Port mackerel is all out bad for me narrow ways you can spam Bombs that are just annoying. This is curling bomb Hell

Olly0014

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3755-4752-6987
I personally like all the stages. They are all unique and different. U just need to adapt your strategy for the map ;)

Belial

Full Squid
Port Mackeral cause I hate getting caught in the tight choke points all over, is my lest favorite.

However, I don't know why people struggle with Moray tower. I use the Hero Dualies and the snipers are so newbish they'ere taken out very easily. Just hop up the little rail to their favorite platform (you know the one) and take em out rinse and repeat.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Port Mackeral cause I hate getting caught in the tight choke points all over, is my lest favorite.

However, I don't know why people struggle with Moray tower. I use the Hero Dualies and the snipers are so newbish they'ere taken out very easily. Just hop up the little rail to their favorite platform (you know the one) and take em out rinse and repeat.
I use long-range shooters with range akin to chargers and I'm still annoyed by the place. There's so little room for variance. You've got the single zig-zagging path to the center, and the center can be approached straight on or from the right. That's it. Even the new rails don't help much because of how easy it is to punish riders that are noticed. Matches on that stage tend to play out the same when everyone's taking the same routes because there's only so many routes to take. That's my two cents anyway.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Personally, I like the changes that they made to both Port Mackeral and Moray Towers and Port Mackeral has grown on me to the point where I actually enjoy on the map (but maybe that's just because I had a decent amount of good games on there as of lately).

For Moray on the other hand, I still don't care much for it even with its rework since I'm still not a fan of the overall map design of it but its much better then it was before.

As for Starfish Mainstage, my main issue with this map is simply how difficult it is trying to reclaim back the middle area after losing a teamfight, once the enemy team has most of the middle are covered in their ink color I find it really difficult to make a push back to reclaim it from my experience. There's just not a lot of safe ground to take advantage of in order to make a push, unless you want to play risky and try to flank from the right side of spawn.

As for Humpback Pump Track (and to a lesser extent Musselforge Fitness) I noticed that this map is much more in favor for weapons like Sloshers, and Rollers/Brushes (and to a lesser extent Blasters) due to the slopes on the stage that makes it a bit difficult for Shooter type weapons to aim on because of it it like @sammich mentioned earlier. Also like what others already mentioned for Humpback Pump Track, it's pretty much a battle arena and enemies can come any angle so controlling the middle area can be a bit difficult sometimes.

Lastly, Rainmaker on The Reef is pretty much the new Belly Skatepark since games can go by so quick if you lose a teamfight and then the enemy team just rushes through that back ally way on the left side to the goal.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I love how most of us can agree that Moray Towers is the worst. XD
Or as I used to call it, E-Liter Towers. But yeah, it's pretty bad. XD

Other than that map, I really don't like Mussleforge Fitness . Its design feels like a poor quality version of Flounder Heights. I mean, there's the raised section in mid with the small sections on the bottom of both slopes and alleys between mid and each team's side. It doesn't sit well with me. I'll play the map (especially over E-Liter Towers) but I won't enjoy myself as much as Humpback Pump Track.

Dr Scoobie

Inkling
For whatever insane reason I always lose on The Reef. I feel like I'm playing fine on the map, getting lots of kills, pushing the objective, reclaiming the tower/rainmaker. Every second I'm doing something useful. But I still end up losing and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. The most annoying part is that I always lose by a smidge, so it's not even like I'm having poor luck with team mates.

I suppose I can't find any decent charger spots, and my Aero ink gets covered up quickly. Maybe I should just try learning a new mid range weapon.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I liked Shifty Station a lot, actually. You have to pay attention to the movement pattern to avoid wasting time or getting cornered by surprise, but that's an extra element of strategy. Just don't use a Splashdown while a platform is moving out from under you. I made that mistake once, most spectacular plunge to my death ever.

Moray Towers can be frustrating, but at least it's different. The Reef, Inkblot, Main Stage, Humpback, they're all really bland designs and I would hardly notice if one of them disappeared forever.
I really agree with this and I wonder if there's more people on here who echo this opinion? Most of the new stages looked really cool pre-release but they are all sooo same-y. Splatoon1 had more varied designs, some of which worked and some didn't. But there seems to be a lack of innovation possibly in favor of competitive viability. I'm hoping future stages add more variety.

Also Shifty Station was kind of that type of variety I was asking for. I wish it were made into a permanent stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom