• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Anything you miss from Splatoon 1?

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I miss that every inkling girl no longer has the original (best) hairstyle and is wearing the sexy, tight shorts. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I miss them for completely different reasons, haha. I felt like the swimming/biker shorts on both guys and girls became something of a trademark appearance for Inklings, but it'd be weird to have a game about fashion and not be able to change pants in some way. But the way everyone was wearing these shorts even when they wore like this big snowcoat made it look like wearing these things is mandatory for staying fresh in Inkling culture. Even in the sequel i still rather stick with THE inkling shorts instead of the two new options (per gender) for legwear, if only for loyalty alone.

What I don't understand, is why they couldn't try to bring at least some of the specials back, albeit heavily nerfed. I could totally see an Inkzooka with shots that travel at half their speed being fair; it would still keep enemies back, but would make it much less of the unforeseeable death laser than it was before.
Technically some of the specials are similar to S1's specials, Stingray is a weaker Killer Wail and Baller is a (much) weaker Kraken.
But the real problem would be their lack of power for me. You could bring the Kraken back, make it incredibly slow, revert back to normal if it gets shot at too much and give it only one jump to use but it wouldn't make it very fun to use. The gratuitous power is what i missed about the specials so much, but i can definitely understand why they toned them all down for the sequel.

Zahntavier

Senior Squid
I miss the Kelp Splat charger, and custom Hydra Splatling. Also CampTriggerfish. Mostly Kelp Splatcharger :|

the

Inkling Commander
I miss the Octobrush Nouveau.... Octobrush w splat bombs was soooo goddamn fun. Actually i miss the original octobrush with beakons as well...

Also, i miss the way haunt acted, having a point sensor locator and buffing you while you were located... I feel like they could've/should've kept the buff in this game, but changed it from atk/def up to speed or ink efficiency boosts instead

Clawford

Full Squid
NNID
Clawford
Rollers and brushes that scaled with run speed. I was never good with them but I do enjoy a good rainmaker speed run.

Crusty Sean's old store.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Quick Respawn :rolleyes: That aside, not really. With my choice of weapons and general playstyle, when the earthquake came and shattered the meta I was standing in the one patch of land that was completely unaffected. I may miss some minor things but nothing notable.

Foxtrot

Full Squid
Never played Sploon1 but I can say the soundtrack kick 2's right into the water. The orignal's had so many rock/punk sounding songs that just fit the feel of the gameplay. 2's electronic theming isnt bad, but it just feels so subdued. The only songs that actually stand out in 2 are Off the Hook's and Wet Floor's music. Even then nothing will ever compare to the OG Sploon theme, or Kraken up for that matter.

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
I really miss certain weapon sub combos. I used to be a Squiffer main in Sploon 1 and I LOVED Suction Bombs paired with. It was perfect for manipulating squibs to go right into your shots. Point Sensor just doesn't flow with it as well even though Ink Armor is perfect with it. It's also like how Carbon no longer has Burst Bomb even that it was a perfect sub for it. And don't get me started with Disruptor with Zink. Man I miss it.........................................

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
Inkbrush with a kit that actually works for it. According to the datamine we're not even getting so much as a sprinkler.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Quick Respawn :rolleyes: That aside, not really. With my choice of weapons and general playstyle, when the earthquake came and shattered the meta I was standing in the one patch of land that was completely unaffected. I may miss some minor things but nothing notable.
Funny, that's how I came out of this, too.

What I really miss is... we don't have every vanilla version of weapons that were already in S1, which is really insane to me. The rate of weapon additions has been frustrating. Same thing with maps I miss. But I'm not sure if that's really in the spirit of the question since those are things we KNOW will be added to the game over time.

Outside of that, S2 is better in just about every way. I guess we could have optional worldwide match making. That was something S1 had that S2 doesn't (not that the worldwide aspect of it was optional). Really, most of the tweaks I want aren't in either.

Berry

Senior Squid
NNID
BlazzBerry
The stages. If anything all of them should have been there day 1. They could have been reimagined and reworked like Moray or Port if need be. We already got the same modes so why not go the full package? :c

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Well, I can think of one thing I miss. The old ranked system, which had problems of it's own but made more sense than what we've got.
View attachment 5576
That picture is amazing!

One other thing I realized about Splatoon 1 vs Splatoon 2, is that aren't the gear abilities weaker, or am I imagining this? I never actually noticed that range on many of the weapons had been nerfed, which I think in itself was a questionable decision. Just getting rid of damage up solved 90% of the balance issues from the first game.

Guileless87 said:
I miss the splatfest theme... but most of all...I miss the Callie and Marie news flash!
Man, do I feel you. :( I don't know why Nintendo just threw the two most liked characters from the first game under the rug like they did. Hell, Nintendo even had Squid Sisters Vocaloid-esque projection concerts in Japan and even one in France.

Unrelated, but @Guileless87, is your username referencing the original Street Fighter that came out in '87, and did not include Guile, or any other Street Fighter II character other than Ryu, Ken, and Sagat?

Last edited:

Moscorat

Inkling
NNID
Themoscorat
I miss the classic and the most memorable stage to me,
Walleye Warehouse!

I don't know why I miss this stage so much but I loved playing on it.

Other than that, Splatoon 2 is a lot better with everything else (especially with balancing the specials!) in my opinion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom