• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Anything you miss from Splatoon 1?

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
The stages. If anything all of them should have been there day 1. They could have been reimagined and reworked like Moray or Port if need be. We already got the same modes so why not go the full package? :c
There's a reason they're slowly rolling out everything -- they want (mainly new) players to get used to all the stages/weapons first, and then add a new one into the mix every now and then so people will more easily get used to that. It might be very overwhelming for a new player to have to figure out 700 different types of main weapons at once, or have to figure out this weird new stage when they only got to play on that last one once or twice. (I mean, that'll still happen once all the weapons and stages HAVE been rolled out, but at least it's no problem right now.)

I gotta say, though, the rollout for new content is so slow now. It feels like they've been releasing a new weapon once a month (obviously not the case, but that's sure what it feels like). In the first Splatoon we had, what, one/two new weapons per week, and a new stage every 3-4 weeks? I'm really sick of these ol' stages already, and, goddammit when are we getting Hydra?

Guileless87

Inkling
NNID
Guileless87
Switch Friend Code
SW-3142-0960-5240
Unrelated, but @Guileless87, is your username referencing the original Street Fighter that came out in '87, and did not include Guile, or any other Street Fighter II character other than Ryu, Ken, and Sagat?
Oh really? Wow, no I didn't know that! That's so cool!. I didn't know that this was 1987. That's probably a cooler story for my name than what I have now!

That picture is amazing!

Man, do I feel you. :( I don't know why Nintendo just threw the two most liked characters from the first game under the rug like they did. Hell, Nintendo even had Squid Sisters Vocaloid-esque projection concerts in Japan and even one in France.
Yeah totally. Was so fun watching the squid sisters. It definitely makes me appreciate their lines in the first game now. I will play the first game just to hear them again I hope they can bring them back together at some point like in a future game.

Some other people have commented but yes I miss these as well:
Camp triggerfish
Wall eye
Blackbelly skatepark

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I also just noticed the user-equipped abilities are not in the hud anymore. While in most cases this info is kinda useless, in S1 the icons would blink whenever an ability would be active (Tenacity, Comeback, Gambit or Last-Ditch) which was actually very helpful. Now in this game i don't really have a clear idea whenever the effect of comeback ends, so now it's kind of unfortunate guesswork on how long i can utilize it's effects.

the

Inkling Commander
I also just noticed the user-equipped abilities are not in the hud anymore. While in most cases this info is kinda useless, in S1 the icons would blink whenever an ability would be active (Tenacity, Comeback, Gambit or Last-Ditch) which was actually very helpful. Now in this game i don't really have a clear idea whenever the effect of comeback ends, so now it's kind of unfortunate guesswork on how long i can utilize it's effects.
Oh yeah! I noticed this at some point before this thread was started so I forgot to post about it, but yeah I was kinda bummed about that as well.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Matchmaking first and foremost. Especially during Splatfests. Turf War while people were separated by rank was the most fun experience I ever had in Turf War.

The old rank system is something I miss too. The new rank system was nice for letting veterans get back to their original positions again, but it's so generous that S+ is now a mix of anything between slightly below average players and pros. This severely damages the matchmaking even for ranked, the one mode that you'd expect to be spared from this curse.

Lastly I also miss Kraken and Mahi Mahi Resort. I know that the Kraken is broken and god knows I don't want it back as it is, but it could have easily designed to act just like the Baller does, meaning slower travel speed, no horizontal wall movement, only one large attack possible with high knockback that immediately turns the Squid back to his original form and only 50.0 damge upon touching an opponent.
The Kraken just feels so fundamental to the theme of Splatoon. The fact alone that they already went as far as to create a Kraken design for the Octolings and even made playing as the Kraken its very own mode links it so deeply to the original concept that I think cutting it entirely rather than fixing it or using it for something else is such a waste. Hell, the Kraken itself as it was in Splatoon 1 could for example be used for a new rank mode of sorts.

Last edited:

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
Hmmm.... Well:

1)The music from the old Splatfests, it was beyond great
2)Stacking bomb range ups to a ridiculous degree (man, look at the ARM on my old squid! Peace out distant bad guys!)
3)Stacking damage ups and whipping out my blasters (bye bye on an off shot. Sorry (but secretly not).)
4)Walleye wharehouse, I hardly knew you...
5)Callie and Marie (obviously)
6)All Japanese players in the room but me (stranger in a strange land)
7)The game itself! It really was too much fun

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Of the main weapons, I gotta go with the old-school :wst_shot_long01:. Range, CQC, comeback-enabling, the gun had it all. Y'all can talk about your Hydras and Neo Splashes, I'll be sitting here quietly waiting for that CJS to finally drop. It'll be glorious, I'm sure.
I'd also list the Zink Mini Splatling here, but **** that broken-*** piece of crap, seriously.

Of the special weapons, it's the :kraken: hands-down. Yeah, it was busted to hell and back even after all the nerfs, but there's just something about turning into a fleshy wall of mobile death that's endearing to me. Plus it means we'll never get to see what a proper Octokraken looks like.

Of the music, all of it, really. I blame it on the main battle themes all sounding kinda same-y. Which isn't to say they're bad (on the contrary, I prefer this game's soundtrack overall), but a little variety wouldn't kill here.

Of the stages, I've felt Mahi-Mahi Resort and Ancho-V Games never got the attention they deserved (as in, I don't really recall ever seeing them in the rotations that much). It's a shame, because insofar as gimmicks go, they stood out pretty well to me. I'd be interested to see how the devs change them if they ever bring 'em back.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
7)The game itself! It really was too much fun
My experience playing Splatoon 1 when it first came out has definitely been greater than that of Splatoon 2. This is likely just due to novelty wearing off, but I don't think Splatoon 2 is really any better than Splatoon 1 other than that it is currently being supported. Now that the honeymoon phase of Splatoon 2 has worn off for me, many of the changes to gameplay and most of the changes to aesthetics (both outside of additions) have started to feel that they are for the worst.

I'm probably the only one with this opinion... :p

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I'm surprised I hadn't posted these already, but definitely the map always being available and Squid Nordic. Seriously hope the latter returns.

My experience playing Splatoon 1 when it first came out has definitely been greater than that of Splatoon 2. This is likely just due to novelty wearing off, but I don't think Splatoon 2 is really any better than Splatoon 1 other than that it is currently being supported. Now that the honeymoon phase of Splatoon 2 has worn off for me, many of the changes to gameplay and most of the changes to aesthetics (both outside of additions) have started to feel that they are for the worst.

You're definitely not the only one to feel that way, although it's been the opposite for me. The first Splatoon's novelty wore thin very quickly for me. Within a month, everyone I knew with the game (which is quite a few people) stopped playing, and returned to Smash or whatever else. I did the same, and the trickling content system and little online functionality (which we blamed it being on the Wii U for) made it not last very long for us.

Splatoon 2 has been much easier to pickup and play, being that it's on the Switch handheld and with the access of the Pro Controller rather than the clunky gamepad. The new game definitely feels like it has more content at launch and arriving faster, too, though. (Albeit all of the online functionality issues are still here, and in some cases, even worse.)

Maave

Inkling Commander
I'm surprised I hadn't posted these already, but definitely the map always being available and Squid Nordic. Seriously hope the latter returns.
The Squid Nordic is obscenely fresh but I never used quick respawn gear, ever. Fortunately I can change that with gear chunks now. Comeback + Swim Speed maybe.

Lyn

Premium
The Squid Nordic is obscenely fresh but I never used quick respawn gear, ever. Fortunately I can change that with gear chunks now. Comeback + Swim Speed maybe.
It's definitely Comeback specifically I prefer for it, likely paired with Ink Recovery or Swim Speed for reasons

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
I miss Chirpy Chips, Squid Squad, and Hightide Era.
I miss Inkstrike.
I miss Camp Triggerfish and Flounder Heights.
I miss the old jump flick for Rollers.
I miss Callie and Marie's news.
I miss global matchmaking, my turf war lobbies filled up pretty quickly. Now they take ages.
I miss ranks actually meaning something.
I miss the 25hz. It wasn't very good, but it's better than 16hz.

Last edited:

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Oopes. I forgot something.

I miss when during Turf War, people rarely got over 7 or so splats.
I miss when people didn't dive past the center and onto your side in the first 10 seconds of the match to try and splat your whole team.
I miss when Turf War didn't always feel like Call of Woomy: Muck Warfare, where it's splat or get splatted, where everyone wasn't hyper aggressive jerks. The map design is what made this happen, and I just wish something could change about it. I don't wanna go back to Splatoon 1, per se. there was a lot wrong with the game back then. I just miss when maps let you be a bit more of a pacifist in turf war and you could win the match without always splatting everyone who enters your "aggro zone".

Sorry for sounding like an angry old man. I really love this game and wouldn't have packed 340 hours into it if I didn't, but when your favorite mode is Turf War, and it's constantly overtaken by overaggressive players who have no chill, it really hurts. Might repost this in the salt thread cos it is probably a tad more appropriate there. Idk.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I miss how EVERYONE'S posts would show up in the Plaza! (And you could know who liked your post.)

I'd be okay with the favourite and trending posts in the Square if they'd also let us see the post of those we've played with!

Also:

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Arrived a bit late, but I miss just about everything else mentioned.

1. The music was better. Maybe it was because I COULD LISTEN TO MUSIC IN THE LOBBY, but I don't know a single song in this game when I could name many from the first.
2. The specials are boring now. I know the specials were broken in the first, but at least they were fun to use. The specials now don't stand out at all, especially the kraken-imposter.
3. The stages were better. The stages directly influence the weapons people use and that means that now you are either forced to use a short-ranged weapon or be a god with a long ranged weapon. There's a reason chargers are unpopular; you can't snipe in these stages.
4. Getting to battle in under a minute consistently. I've timed out of multiple lobbies today alone, inluding a lobby with 7 players!
5. Ranked mode. It was frustrating reaching S+ and I wasn't actually good enough to stay, but at least I earned it unlike this one.

I also miss the bamboozler and hydra, even if I was only decent with them.
And I was better then.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969

Nope! I feel that overall i enjoyed Splatoon 1 a lot more, but to be fair it's hard to tell without bias because the original game still had that novelty of being a new Nintendo IP behind it. There are rare exceptions of a sequel outshining the original, but unfortunately Splatoon 2 is no such case for me. There are a ton of things to nitpick about it, both issues that were already present in S1 and new ones that appeared in S2.

I think the slow content crawl is what is killing my interest the most right now. Snapper was teased, but we still have no definite release date. The tenta-brella is supposed to come with it, but when? It's been a month since we got Manta Marina, and all we keep getting are the weekly old weapon re-releases. And there's still no news about a new Splatfest yet.

Salmon Run was fun the first time i played, but after playing it for bonuses for a few times it becomes another grind in already a grind-heavy game. The sheer amount of grinding in this game puts MMORPGs to shame. You grind using drinks to get better odds of subs, you grind to get chunks, you grind for money to scrub gear, then you grind some more because you want a different set of gear with different abilities, you grind in SR just to get more stuff that'll ease your grinding needs. There's no shortage of grinding in this game, and now with S+ being a stone throw away there really is no faraway objective for me to reach anymore. It's just an endless futile grind, a race to get a few pieces of perfect gear in a game that will stop being relevant a few years from now.

The thing that makes me keep playing this game the most are my awesome friends who are willing to help me out in league and salmon run. But while S1 easily was my GOTY, this game really is just a fun timewaster and not much more.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
There are rare exceptions of a sequel outshining the original
Except, it really isn't that rare, not for video games anyway. General consensus is Metroid II is better than Metroid, F-Zero X is better than F-Zero, Super Smash Bros. Melee is better than Super Smash Bros., Halo 2 is better than Halo, etc. (Gunforce I to Gunforce II is easily the biggest jump in quality a sequel has ever made, lol.) There are also several sequels that are viewed as being equal to the original, such as Super Monkey Ball 2 or Doom II. Unfortunately, I've began to feel that Splatoon 2 doesn't fall under either of these categories.

There are a ton of things to nitpick about it, both issues that were already present in S1 and new ones that appeared in S2.
Agreed. Even some of the problems that Splatoon 1 had were exemplified, such as even worse weapon diversity in the metagame (from what I've seen anyway), ****tier online infrastructure, and more grinding.

You grind using drinks to get better odds of subs, you grind to get chunks, you grind for money to scrub gear, then you grind some more because you want a different set of gear with different abilities, you grind in SR just to get more stuff that'll ease your grinding needs.
At least you had the ability to hack your Wii U for perfect gear, lol.

I think the slow content crawl is what is killing my interest the most right now.
Except most of my problems with the game won't be fixed by adding new content.

with S+ being a stone throw away there really is no faraway objective for me to reach anymore.
I almost can't believe how much the rank system impacted my enjoyment of the game. There were several times I would stay up till 4:00AM on a weeknight in hopes of advancing a rank; it was a bit of an addiction really. I actually never played Turf War unless I wanted to improve my freshness meter for money. Salmon Run is the same way in Splatoon 2; I don't enjoy it, but I get money. It's actually exactly like a job if you think about it.

in a game that will stop being relevant a few years from now.
A few, as in literally two. :/ I think I'll just forgo the final Splatfest, because I really don't care about Pearl or Marina.

Splatoon is just so much more aesthetically pleasing. Inkopolis Plaza, the characters who are now absent, the Squid Sisters who might as well be, the music, the story revealed through the Sunken Scrolls, the original artwork, the original menu graphics, that apartment loading screen at the beginning, the lack of hairstyles that move and deform tentacles... Oh, and Nintendo, wtf is with the gender-exclusive pants? It's 2017, not 1957. Not particularly Nintendo's fault, but I also found that the Miiverse posts much better; I don't know would make them though. Splatoon 1 almost felt like a special club, as you had to own a Wii U, which, you know...

Perhaps the thing that annoys me the most about Splatoon 2 though, is what I thought we were getting. Seeing the initial trailer with dodge rolling, the jetpack, and the large esport stadium, I thought we were getting some fast-paced, ultra-competitive version of Splatoon. Except, aside from the spectator mode, Splatoon 2 is even less rigged for competitive play than Splatoon with the high input lag and low tickrate, but also with its maps with 10x the obstructions that increase the number of unforeseeable splats due to positioning and discourage use of the weapon with the highest skill ceiling (charger), and also with the nerfing of gear abilities that helped players better perform a specific role for the team or otherwise just speed up the game. Don't forget about the "everyone's a winner" ranked system either.

If I didn't sound like enough of an a**hole yet, I'll end by saying that I honestly would have just preferred a Splatoon port in similar vein to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I miss the soundtrack mostly. Also I miss that skatepark, since it was my favorite map. Also miss that feeling of playing the final boss of Splatoon for the first time. So awesome.

Jason Avis

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1753-5585-2992
Personally the only thing I would say I'm missing from Splatoon 1 would be the mini games that you could play while waiting for a match. I thought they were really cool simple games and I know they wouldn't be able to work the same as they did in Splatoon 1 but they could at least add them back to the arcade area where they have the rhythm game in Splatoon 2. They could also do something similar to ARMS where the mini game goes in the center of the screen and the match making information goes on the side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom