• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Anything you miss from Splatoon 1?

Spenstar

Inkling
NNID
SpenstarHD
SEEKERS! They were so cool, they served multiple functions all at once and were really awesome in concept. I like curling and auto bombs but you just cant beat a seeker

Maave

Inkling Commander
Personally the only thing I would say I'm missing from Splatoon 1 would be the mini games that you could play while waiting for a match. I thought they were really cool simple games and I know they wouldn't be able to work the same as they did in Splatoon 1 but they could at least add them back to the arcade area where they have the rhythm game in Splatoon 2. They could also do something similar to ARMS where the mini game goes in the center of the screen and the match making information goes on the side.
the music making in the lobby would make up for that if there were some DRUMS so that I could make a beat instead of making a warbly mess.

Emperor

twitter.com/Former_Eminence
All of the specials. I would've loved if they just had those and the new ones in game combined. It would be harder to choose a weapon, but they could just make alt versions of the weapons as well so people have atleast 3 choices.

R

RandomSquid

The ombre tentacle textures with the glowy spots on the back. I know it's a tiny thing but the tentacles in the first game were so much prettier with orange fading to pink and green to blue hair colors, rather than just one color to a darker version. Plus, just the larger ink color variety the first game had.

iced potato

Senior Squid
Yes, I also miss the larger ink colour variety.

I also miss all the specials, even the infamous Kraken.

And I also feel like Splat1 has better/more enjoyable stages.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Another random aesthetic thing I miss from Splatoon 1 is the game displaying your number of deaths. Splatnet 2 displays this information, so it's still being tallied, which makes no sense for this to not be included in the game.

Maave

Inkling Commander
Another random aesthetic thing I miss from Splatoon 1 is the game displaying your number of deaths. Splatnet 2 displays this information, so it's still being tallied, which makes no sense for this to not be included in the game.
Yeah this is an odd decision. Especially since they added Respawn Punisher, I really need to know my KD to know if I'm getting any use out of the ability. Same goes for QR and Comeback.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
The obvious answer would be that the spot where Splatoon 1 displayed deaths now displays the number of times you used your special, but because names can only be 10 characters long, there is more than enough room. If I were to guess, this would be part of Splatoon 2 being much more afraid to tell you how terrible you are at the game than Splatoon 1, like having the S+ participation award ranked system.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
There are two things I would like to see happen in this game, among many others but I will start off simple.

1.) I want the old music back! At least for regular battles. It doesn't even have to replace the new stuff, just add the old songs right into the mix! That would give regular battles more variety and things would feel less stagnant. I do think that I like the Splatfest songs in this game better than the one from the first game, even if I do like Callie and Marie more so than Pearl and Marina.

2.) More Ink Color variety! Splatoon 1 didn't exactly have an exhaustive list of color options, but it does feel like the list is shorter in this game. More colors! More Ink! I want it all!

El Benjas

Inkling
NNID
DarthThrasher502
Switch Friend Code
SW-6836-5068-7786
I miss a few things but probably the two that I miss the most are:

1.- The Kraken. It was my favorite super in Splatoon 1, really fun and in theme with the game, it really stinks that they left it out in this one.

2.- "Ink me up" as the splatfest battle theme. I really like Ebb & Flow but I just loved Ink me up as a battle song it got me pumped during splatfests...

west |-/

Inkling
Boi I haven't played splatoon 1 in ages but there are definitely some things I missed when I started researching and playing splatoon 2.

1) The old E-Liter 3K.
Its sub and special were perfect. With the new E-Liters I think I might stick with the Hero Charger Replica. I don't think I'll enjoy the new E-Liter when I unlock it because I personally don't like the ink mine and ink storm set. It would have been fine if the sub was still set as burst bombs because when flanked, snipers would still be able to protect themselves or die fighting. I just feel like the ink mine won't give enough protection and it's like they want the new E-Liter to cover turf rather than snipe,, Idk man maybe that's just me lmao

2) The old maps and specials.
I saw other people saying this as well but I really liked the maps and specials in splatoon 1 too. I loooovvedddd Walleye Warehouse, Bluefin Depot, Urchin Underpass and Camp Triggerfish so I got kinda sad and disappointed that they didn't make the cut into splatoon 2. And I had good times with the specials too, mostly inkstrike, inkzooka, kraken and killer wail, so it was also sad and disappointing that all the specials were replaced.

3) The friendliness.
During turf battles (I'd only go turf when I was having a bad roll in ranked) and sometimes even during ranked matches there would be someone who always "Nice!"-ed me back! For example if one of my teammates was splatted, I would usually snipe their attacker and they would say "Nice!" as to say "thanks for killing the guy who got me!". Nowadays I feel like I'm the only person who uses the "Booyah!" voiceline. I dunno, it's just nice to have people say "Nice!"/"Booyah!" as a gesture of thanks or just to say it at all. It's like breaking the ice between teammates. Another friendly think I miss is the random squid parties and peaceful matches I'd randomly join in on with strangers. In splatoon 2 it feels so competitive and angry and no one seems to know what squid parties or friends/allies are anymore!

4) THE WAY THE OLD ROLLERS FLICKED.
This might just be me (again), but I REEEAALLLLYYYY don't like how the new rollers flick vertically if you jump before you press ZR. Idk how to put it into words but I just honestly dislike it very, very much. >:0

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
Yes! Definitely! We need the original turf war themes back! I really miss songs like Seaskape and Metalopod. I hope they bring back the old now or never theme too, it was hectically awesome. I do love Wet Floor's songs in Sploon 2, but bringing the old songs back would really make it feel like Inkopolis has a true musical flair. Maybe they could add in some new songs by existing bands ( I mean, the Chirpy Chips and Hightide Era both only got two songs! What's up with that?).

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
I really miss the old Run Speed Up. It got hard nerfed in splatoon 2, so hard that it is exactly 50% as effective in Splatoon 2 than in Splatoon 1. That's right, 2 mains of Run Speed Up in Splatoon 2 is equal to 1 in Splatoon 1, 3 subs in splatoon 2 is equal to 6 subs in splatoon 1, and so on. It's really brutal, I miss old run speed. I also really miss Hightide Era, Squid Squad, and especially Chirpy Chips. ;~;

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
@Danku yet another change in Splatoon 2 that hampers competitive play. One Run Speed Up main was the minimum for a shooter in Splatoon 1; your base run speed in either game is slow as tar. Was Swim Speed Up nerfed too, or am I imagining things? Ink Resistance up is damn near useless now, even if it can be stacked.

I don't know why people are complaining that Splatoon 2 is more competitive than Splatoon 1, when I see the opposite problem. Kills are far more plentiful, but largely because the maps are smaller and facilitate random deaths, which actually hamper competitive play.

@Mr. Squiggly Squid I seriously doubt Nintendo will bring back the old Turf War songs or use the old themes, even if both are universally agreed to be better than what we have now. Switch hacking is bound to be a thing though, and this is an easy modification.

Last edited:

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Sometimes. BUT not the questionable hurtbox on—especially when you take cover.

However I seriously do miss the old pushback you got when using it. Great for quickly scooting through enemy ink as well as dodging and juking anyone trying to splat you.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
I miss it because you felt like a tank. Really, I felt a lot more powerful in Splatoon 1 than Splatoon 2, from the broken specials to the stronger gear abilities. I miss being able to carry the team in Tower Control with the Bento Splat Charger; splat anyone who gets on the tower and build up your special, then use the Echolocator, hop on the tower and splat everyone. Rainmaker was great to; with how fast I was, often times, I would be able to just run past everyone. You'd think people would be smarter by S rank, and have one person stay further back to stop the rainmaker, but they aren't. You could say that Splatoon 2 is better because it's more about teamwork than individual effort, but with how bad the matchmaking making is and having no way to communicate with teammates... (Even if the language barrier no longer exists due to regional matchmaking...)

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
I want my old Squid Sisters back, not these rip-off lameos (no offense).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom