• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are two shot weapons viable?

Box

Pro Squid
How about some speculation about the Rapid blaster Pro?
It's almost identical to the Rapid Blaster; I'm not even sure why it exists. The only thing that gives it a chance at viability is the Rapid Blaster Pro Deco with Disruptors. But then there's the Bamboolzer Mk II.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
stacking damage ups makes the direct hit do 99.9 damage, meaning if somebody trying to minrange you even touches your turf on the way to you, they will be one shotted. Just thought I'd point that out.

Also makes it very likely you'll 2 hit your opponent with splash damage. With more range than the range blaster and a faster fire rate than the luna blaster, it's hard to believe you people would think that other blasters are more effective at attacking the tower, even if you do get a splash damage below 50.0, theres a high likelyhood your next shot will make up for it, and even if it doesn't you're far enough away to fire another shot faster than any other blaster and get the kill. There should be no reason why it takes you more than three hits to kill, and even then it'll be a faster kill than with the range blaster's two shot. (not tested)

In the same way the splatter shots are ranked from easy medium to hard ( jr, normal, pro) so are the blasters. The Jr is the starting weapon it's built to be easy to use and allows a lot of room for error (bubbler) the tentatek is the intermediate gun, and the pro is supposedly the "pro" one. The rapid blaster is bad for the same reason the spro is bad. It's a hard gun to play, However is much more rewarding. although luna blasters can also two shot relatively quick, possess a OHKO, and are harder to minrange (this is the luna blasters room for error, like the jr's bubbler) however, they die a lot more often, because it's easier to outrange them. The rapid blaster is a harder weapon, but with the knowledge AND technical skill needed to play it it becomes better than the luna blaster.

If you pick up the rapid blaster with only the technical skill and knowledge you need in order to play the tentatek, you'll be outclassed.

as for the loadouts, The vanilla is honestly better. although bubbler is kinda wonky, it helps with the support role, (being able to pass on the bubbler) and that's why the rapid blaster has it, if they wanted to give it an invincible attacks they'd give it the kraken, the bubbler is more strategic, and isn't as bad as people make it out to be, yeah it has weaknesses but so does every other special, the trick is to realize these weaknesses and do what you can to counter the effects, the simplest example of this would be finding a place to hide in order to use your inkstrike. Mines help you avoid being flanked, you can hear them go off, so everytime it happens turn your attention back to your flank, either place another mine or attack the squid who set it off.

Some might argue that the deco set is better because it's easier to use, however only really benefits the rapid blaster in sz. The suction bombs are able to control chokepoints at a further range than your normal gun, and the bomb rush is great for taking a zone, or protecting it.

splatoon weapons are balanced in this way. easier weapons like the ksr have a limit that they can't surpass, however it's really easy to get to that limit, whilst harder guns like the .96 (I'm sure all of you would agree this weapon is harder than the tentatek) are able to surpass the limits of easier weapons. Think of it like Acceleration and Top Speed in racing games. Although a car might have a faster top speed, if it has a low acceleration it will lose if it makes a lot of mistakes, conversely, a car that can only go half as fast as another car but has a crazy good acceleration will beat the faster car if they both make the same number of mistakes, But no matter how good your acceleration is you won't be able to beat a faster car if they make no mistakes.

Noise Tank

Full Squid
You didn't hurt my feelings, but personal attacks don't have any place in this thread.
ok...then leave if you're going to take my posts as 'personal attacks". I dont even know you

dude "miniranging" sounds dumb as hell...it's called fighting in cqc

You're arguing that the rapid blaster isn't the best overall weapon while i'm saying its not one of the worst weapons. You didn't have to type up a long winded reply to get me to agree with you on that.

1. Stock RB is the defensive set up while Deco is offensive. Even then, I don't feel like bomb rush matches with the RB. You need bubbler whenever someone tries to get in your face. 9 times out of 10 you should be able to get a direct hit for the kill or set an ink mine kill them if they don't back up, but then you always have the option super jump in order to stay in the game. It's the ideal loadout for TC and great for RM. You're already throwing down plenty of fire to pressure people without suction bombs, and bomb rush makes it all that much easier for people to rush you for cqc. Good for TW I guess

2. gr8 blasters have problems with cqc. ty didn't know about that 1. Chances are that by the time they get bast your optimal range with the RB they already have enough damage for a ohko, assuming you're running dmg ups like you should, so that point is sort of moot.

3. people that underestimate dmg up RB usually get killed by me anyways. I get 2hko's more often than 3hko's. Even if it's a 3hko, its about the same ttk as the range blaster as has been pointed out (I tested it). idc if they think I wont kill them or if they do understand that the rb is dangerous. Its good for me either way. It's also good for me when I kill the RM or shoot at the tower safely behind a wall from a mile away. Whenever my shot turns into a ohko then that's even better.

Don't know what you're trying to prove with showing that there are better weapons than a blaster, but ya w/e

I have experience with the sploosh, but I'm not about to argue that it isn't outclassed by most weapons in the game. I don't see the point of someone trying to bring their objective opinion into a discussion if they've only played 2 games with it and deemed it garbage. Why are you bothering exactly?

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
objective opinion
I think you meant to say subjective, since objective opinions don't even exist.
Rapid Blaster is objectively the worst weapon. As many people have said before, myself included, you can literally just take on a direct shot and still kill them, considering that they don't have any way of escaping once they hit ZR and they have a ttk of over 60 frames.
I could just restate what @flc said at why bubbler is a joke for it, but I doubt it will sway your opinion. Most people agree that suction bomb rush is one of the best specials and rivals the pre-patch inkzooka. A JS or Heavy Splatling can easily pinball the rapid blaster into a corner once it gets bubbled, and it's likely to happen, considering how those two weapons have been getting even more popular.
dude "miniranging" sounds dumb as hell...it's called fighting in cqc
I've never heard anyone say fighting. If you're just going to cherry pick points that don't really even have to do with the topic, I don't really see any point of regarding your opinion.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
bubbler is a joke for it, but I doubt it will sway your opinion. Most people agree that suction bomb rush is one of the best specials and rivals the pre-patch inkzooka. A JS or Heavy Splatling can easily pinball the rapid blaster into a corner once it gets bubbled, and it's likely to happen, considering how those two weapons have been getting even more popular.
No no no, a JS or heavy splatling can pinball a jr or custom blaster into a corner. But with the rapid blaster it's highly unlikely they'll be outside the range of your 2HKO splash damage. and the 60 frames isn't an issue because YOU'RE INVINCIBLE

If you think the rapid blaster deco is the better loadout then you don't know how to play the RB.

bubbler is better for the rapid blaster. The bubbler is essentially a more tactical kraken. it trades it's ease for the ability to pass it on and retain your range while invincible. you can use the bubbler to get out of tight situations WITHOUT abandoning your ground. say you're about to get sniped? pop the bubbler, engage the sniper, don't abandon your camping ground. heck you can even use the bubbler to save your friend from an attack. The bubbler is actually the only special capable of this. if it was the kraken you'd have to go retreat, sniping posts are usually safe for the kraken. Kraken is easy mode bubbler.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
I can agree with your OP. But ya know you don't have tag flc, whenever you want to make a point; your fangirl is showing.
But I don't watch his streams or whatever he does. I was just citing his post earlier in the thread about how the bubbler is bad for it.
No no no, a JS or heavy splatling can pinball a jr or custom blaster into a corner.
Since they have to be in a specific area for your weapon to be effective, they can easily swim away as soon as you pop the bubbler and get out of your effective range very quickly, get to grounds farther away, and pinball you, which usually leads to a splat.
If you think the rapid blaster deco is the better loadout then you don't know how to play the RB.
But I do know. Plus Ink mines are pretty much useless except for warning about a surprise attack, which they really aren't even good at.
pop the bubbler, engage the sniper, don't abandon your camping ground.
You can't engage a charger if you don't abandon your camping ground. Having to approach a charger and get 60+ frames to kill them gives them more than enough time to swim away.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Citing him once er twice is cool... However, I have noticed it happening a bit more than that. But this discussion is neither here nor there, so I digress.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
Since they have to be in a specific area for your weapon to be effective, they can easily swim away as soon as you pop the bubbler and get out of your effective range very quickly, get to grounds farther away, and pinball you, which usually leads to a splat.

But I do know. Plus Ink mines are pretty much useless except for warning about a surprise attack, which they really aren't even good at.

You can't engage a charger if you don't abandon your camping ground. Having to approach a charger and get 60+ frames to kill them gives them more than enough time to swim away.
1. they don't have to be in a specific area. You can hit them with direct hits. with he bubbler you have the luxury of taking your time to aim.

2. They aren't even good at it? Why not? They can alert you of anyone passing through a hallway.Sure you could say that somebody running bomb sniff would see it and avoid it, but bomb sniff is an extremely rare ability, especially in higher ranks, plus bomb sniff users will opt to set off the bomb so that there team doesn't get caught off guard by it, in this situation you are still alerted to your enemies presence.

3. you have really good range and in most situations can either kill a charger who thinks that rapid blasters are bad, or at least get him to abandon his post, which is overall beneficial to your team. 60 frames is one second. They have one second to decide whether they want to fight a rapid blaster or abandon their post. a lot of them opt to fight the rapid blaster because they think theyreonly taking 25 damage a shot.

Wrexsoul

Inkling
NNID
Wrexsoul
The rapid blaster to me doesn't feel like a top tier weapon by any stretch, but here are my thoughts on it as somebody who seconds blasters. First, I don't see why everybody's comparing it with the custom blaster in this thread. The custom blaster will obviously always be a better option when stuff is within its range. The times I pick up this blaster is when I feel I want more range for a specific stage in a specific mode, in a specific comp. For example, on Arrowana Mall, the regular/custom/luna blaster can't reach across to the sniper perches, or onto the walls near the base from the ground. If you want a blaster to be able to do this, it's either the rapid or the ranged one you will use. The range blaster has the advantage of one-shotting, and the rapid blaster two-shots quicker than the ranged one. Basically, it's easier to get a direct hit one time in two shots, than once in a single shot.

If you want an all-round weapon to use, the regular or luna blasters are much more flexible. If you want to play a blaster but need more range, the rapid blaster and the ranged blaster are your only options. If you want a splash wall and a long-range OHKO, go with the ranged; If you want the security of a pretty easy and quick 2HKO at long range, go with the rapid blaster.

I don't for a second think the rapid blaster is going to find its way into any top comps as a weapon somebody always mains, because the niche it fills is pretty limited. But as a go-to weapon for certain situations it's good to have. While you can argue for the objectively absolute best weapon to use in high level play, there's a great bunch of people who are very competitively minded but also want to maintain the flexibility of playing what they enjoy most - for those people, the rapid blaster is a nice weapon to have access to when the map/mode demands it.

Sharpzz

Full Squid
You use Rapid Blaster to get bragging rights over your friends. It's ok for TC but that it's it in my opinion.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
Somebody should ask the Squid Squad Clubs what they think of the Rapid Blaster...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom