• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are you in favor in a rank reset? Save rank on Nintendo server/no rank gain in squads

Are you in favor in a rank reset? Save rank on Nintendo server/no rank gain in squads

• Yes, make everyone C- again, put rank data on nintendo server, no rank gain, loss in squads.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • No, but just having rank on nintendo side, the save summers, rank carry will eventually derank

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • No, just keep it as is.

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
So here is the thing, Even with the same power, 1600 + I seen a huge gap of judgment skill between sandcastles and snowman. Because of this hardly any of my snowman matches was fun as it felt more like I had to worry about carrying but on sandcastles it was easy to see teamwork, using specials wisely, using the ping commands correctly, and not rushing in blindly. Basically my point is I ran into a lot of people on snowman that likely got carried or something while my sandcastle teammates earned it. So the idea is have the ranks store on Nintendo server for now on and because of this everyone is reset back to c- (yeah my S+ took work but if you or me are truly deserving of it, you can get it back rather quickly, record I seen so for is 11 hrs:

So the idea is this, let people get their own ranks and it is likely rank matches along with splatfests would be more even. I enjoy 8 people near same skill, not me v 4 people on same skill while I have to carry my 3 teammates.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
It would be nice if ranks were stored on server so people couldn't rank scum (though very few people do that, I hope), but I don't think a rank reset is necessary.

People will just get back to their ranks eventually, and C players will be for a while unable to play since there will be so many way better players at the low ranks, since they will have to play a few low matches to rank up. I would like if there was an S- rank, however, since I do really well in A+ rank but don't do as well in S rank, and so I drop/rise a lot, so and S- rank could fix that. I'm not really sure why S doesn't have a - anyways, since every other rank does.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I am cool with an occasional reset of ranks every now and then.

However, I will admit, there is a mischievously evil side to myself that wants this just to lurk across the internet and watch the drama explode in the Splatoon community. *cackles*

Yet, I come across a number of criticisms, concerns, and complaints (and a little whining) about the rank ladder's flaws and players taking advantage of it, that I'm slowly being convinced that occasional rank resets might be a good thing.

But I'm not too keen on letting rank be based on individual performance. It would likely encourage players to be more lone wolf if they want to climb the ladder rather than be a teammate.

(An eleven hour video?! Woah~ that'll get me through some long, excruciatingly dull work days!)

Last edited:

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
This actually sounds like a good idea, i would love to at least try this once to see what happens.
A good reset of rank may what is needed for the community to balance itself out.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
As much as I would hate to lose my A rank, I guess it wouldn't really matter. As everyone would be going back to C-, it wouldn't take those of us who worked for our rank, or who are higher skilled to climb back up to, or close to our original rank. Not to mention we probably wouldn't be seeing truly lesser skilled players too often as C- and such would be like a death trap to them. So I guess I'm for it, just to see how it would play out that is.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
I am cool with an occasional reset of ranks every now and then.

However, I will admit, there is a mischievously evil side to myself that wants this just to lurk across the internet and watch the drama explode in the Splatoon community. *cackles*

Yet, I come across a number of criticisms, concerns, and complaints (and a little whining) about the rank ladder's flaws and players taking advantage of it, that I'm slowly being convinced that occasional rank resets might be a good thing.

But I'm not too keen on letting rank be based on individual performance. It would likely encourage players to be more lone wolf if they want to climb the ladder rather than be a teammate.

(An eleven hour video?! Woah~ that'll get me through some long, excruciatingly dull work days!)
it does have funny moments in tw :3

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
The one catch with the resets, which I do believe are a must, along with server-side data (which I honestly can't foresee Nintendo implementing this late in the cycle, that's a Splatoon 2 thing), but changing the ACTUAL RANK SYSTEM would have to go with periodic resets. A progressive ladder that favors upward movement with "skill wall" challenges in between. Technically I believe they do this already in a limited fashion. But the problem is with 8-12p wins/losses, it would take less than 7 games to move up to the next rank by winning after ranking up, but it takes only 3 losses to rank down after entering a rank. Downward movement is too easy and too favored which implies insufficent "skill walling" before entering your new rank. A reset is useless if they don't change the way the whole ladder functions.

Put another way, people love the idea that "wins and losses balance out in the end" So say you make it to B+, but get unlucky...get a disconnect, get bad teammates, or just get really good opponents. Or you fell into the water at just the wrong moment and it all went wrong. As it is now, a trio of bad luck or errors and you're back to B. That's WAAY too few games to make a proper sample size to say "hey, you're not really B+!" If instead they made you play a few "B+ level games" before entering you into B+ to check your skill then it could better establish "this is a B+ player". This is what is ussually done in progressive ladders with resets. So when you earn your new rank you're much more likely to STAY there before demonstrating skill to move up rather than constantly bumping you back down. If you reset periodically, it mitigates the portion of players who will get lucky and pass up through the system. Wins/losses should also be 5 or so. Not 8-12. That's ridiculous. It means every rank represents only a few games, and your rank is not your overall play ability but the last 24-48 hours of your play.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I agree with both changes (Server side ranking, squads do not affect rank) though I would like to see a separate Squad rank or something to keep it competitive. I am somewhat unsure about the reset, it seems like a good way to readjust ranks (assuming they only do it once, doing it many times would kill the motivation to rank up) but placing everyone in C- would lead to total chaos for the few weeks afterwards.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Put it on Nintendo Server side, save scummers will naturally fall. Rank reset wouldn't solve anything making lower ranks an hell for months.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I would really hate a whole reset as I am at S 69 and that has taken a few months of painful battles and a matchmaking update. It would be great to put all rank data on Nintendo's side and make squads different from ranked entirely. Sadly, these are all hopes for Splatoon 2, if it ever happens. Maybe it would be Spla2n.

In Spla2n we would need:
-Ranks tracked on Nintendo's side
-"Skill wall" challenges as Award said
-An entirely different squad system where you have your solo rank and a separate squad rank

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Honestly.... I would be completely livid if my rank was reset. I'm at S+ 38 and it would make me angry for it to be reset. Yes, I could probably make it back up to S+.... But why do I deserve to be punished? I never cheated and it seems highly unfair for Nintendo to punish us because some people are deciding to cheat. That's honestly an absurd notion. I have to agree with what someone said before. The people who savescummed their rank will fall naturally. If we store the ranks on the servers, there is no need for a rank reset. The people who cheated their way into a certain rank will fall naturally. There is absolutely no need to punish all of us for it.

Resetting our ranks would only anger the community and make lower ranks a complete hell for months on end. Has anyone even considered how this would affect the lower ranks? They wouldn't be able to play and would probably grow to hate the game if those of us at a higher rank and skill level were put back with them. It wouldn't be fair to the lower ranks nor would it be fair to us.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
Honestly.... I would be completely livid if my rank was reset. I'm at S+ 38 and it would make me angry for it to be reset. Yes, I could probably make it back up to S+.... But why do I deserve to be punished? I never cheated and it seems highly unfair for Nintendo to punish us because some people are deciding to cheat. That's honestly an absurd notion. I have to agree with what someone said before. The people who savescummed their rank will fall naturally. If we store the ranks on the servers, there is no need for a rank reset. The people who cheated their way into a certain rank will fall naturally. There is absolutely no need to punish all of us for it.

Resetting our ranks would only anger the community and make lower ranks a complete hell for months on end. Has anyone even considered how this would affect the lower ranks? They wouldn't be able to play and would probably grow to hate the game if those of us at a higher rank and skill level were put back with them. It wouldn't be fair to the lower ranks nor would it be fair to us.
This is what I do not understand, and I do not mean to offend but I do not understand this idea of rank letter as some status symbol you have a right to keep. So why angry? Like to my knowledge, a lot of rank modes? reset every 2-4 months? I have no idea? that is why they call it seasons? There can be several reasons for this and they apply to splatoon:

Person gets to rank S because squads do not let them lose rank, this is to gain money, never plays random again. This leads to no true adjustment of dealing with randoms and how to work as a team with random people. They end up not being as skilled because practice.

Things change. Like back when the cap was A+99, I am sure it was hard to stay there because of other top skill people being there and keep playing to play to see if they keep A+99. But the game was different then, less maps I think? changes to weapons, nerfs, etc so A+ 99 then is not the same skill now. Also when S was new, I felt there was a much stronger gap then now, S rank people acting like A rank and A rank acting like S, they sotra merge.

Rank reset every once in a while means a higher chance of of people of same skill being in the letters, like people in S+ now (some) may be more like what is considered S kill 2 months from now but they still managed to keep the S+ because sometimes wins comes from finding a super S+ on their team.

I do not see "S+" as some status symbol as something I have a right to keep. I see it as "you are skilled as other players in S+ and you have fun playing with 7 other people with like skill as you" If there is huge skill gaps like I been seeing lately both in rank, rank during japeanse splatfest and now splatfest using your start from your rank, with massive skill gaps of the same letter, that only proves something is wrong with the system.

I do not see or hear (sorry I would not know cuz I do not track it) of people complaining of other ladder systems in saying it is unfair to reset everyone making it ruff on the true low rank players. If there was a true problem in doing this, they would not be using such systems still.

Somehow a person on youtube keeps regaining S then losing it on his own (since I guess you only need be lucky and have your team carry you for 3 matches?) so I have my doubts (like what is considered B skill now) will lose enough to fall back down there, if Nintendo simply took out the ability of gaining ranks in squads and letting savescum working.

In the end my issue is this, there shouldn't be massive skill gaps in the top ranks (A/S) so something needs to be done so closer skill gaps play each other. A rank letter should not be some kind of status you get to keep, A rank letter should reflect who you should be paired with.

Personally I like the idea of separate squad rank and maybe even one for each mode (I would like this) but i doono if it is truly good for the game or if people agree.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
I really wouldn't care if my rank was reset, since just recently I challenged myself to get to S+ with only chargers, and it took me 5 days, probably like 10 hours or so. People need to calm down about rank a little bit. As far as the Splatfest, I had a pretty bad time on Sandcastles, partially since I couldn't find any matches, but the teamwork I experienced was pretty bad too.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
This is what I do not understand, and I do not mean to offend but I do not understand this idea of rank letter as some status symbol you have a right to keep. So why angry? Like to my knowledge, a lot of rank modes? reset every 2-4 months? I have no idea? that is why they call it seasons? There can be several reasons for this and they apply to splatoon:

Person gets to rank S because squads do not let them lose rank, this is to gain money, never plays random again. This leads to no true adjustment of dealing with randoms and how to work as a team with random people. They end up not being as skilled because practice.

Things change. Like back when the cap was A+99, I am sure it was hard to stay there because of other top skill people being there and keep playing to play to see if they keep A+99. But the game was different then, less maps I think? changes to weapons, nerfs, etc so A+ 99 then is not the same skill now. Also when S was new, I felt there was a much stronger gap then now, S rank people acting like A rank and A rank acting like S, they sotra merge.

Rank reset every once in a while means a higher chance of of people of same skill being in the letters, like people in S+ now (some) may be more like what is considered S kill 2 months from now but they still managed to keep the S+ because sometimes wins comes from finding a super S+ on their team.

I do not see "S+" as some status symbol as something I have a right to keep. I see it as "you are skilled as other players in S+ and you have fun playing with 7 other people with like skill as you" If there is huge skill gaps like I been seeing lately both in rank, rank during japeanse splatfest and now splatfest using your start from your rank, with massive skill gaps of the same letter, that only proves something is wrong with the system.

I do not see or hear (sorry I would not know cuz I do not track it) of people complaining of other ladder systems in saying it is unfair to reset everyone making it ruff on the true low rank players. If there was a true problem in doing this, they would not be using such systems still.

Somehow a person on youtube keeps regaining S then losing it on his own (since I guess you only need be lucky and have your team carry you for 3 matches?) so I have my doubts (like what is considered B skill now) will lose enough to fall back down there, if Nintendo simply took out the ability of gaining ranks in squads and letting savescum working.

In the end my issue is this, there shouldn't be massive skill gaps in the top ranks (A/S) so something needs to be done so closer skill gaps play each other. A rank letter should not be some kind of status you get to keep, A rank letter should reflect who you should be paired with.

Personally I like the idea of separate squad rank and maybe even one for each mode (I would like this) but i doono if it is truly good for the game or if people agree.

I agree with what you say. It's just that I'm sure it would get tiring to get the rank, just to be reset every 2-4 months. I don't let my rank determine my status in the Splatoon world and all that jazz. But I will admit having to climb up every 2-4 months of being booted back to square one would get tiring. It's true it would really keep the alts, and the people being carried and scumming limited (unless they find a way to stop that), but it will have its downfalls. But lots of other competitive games use the whole "Rank resetting" thing. Yes people complain about it, but they roll with it, and if they're sick of it, they just quit. Simple. So it's either they stay and they play, they quit the game entirely, or if there's a social (IE like what our TW is), that's what they do.

Sucks that this would be the only real way of dealing with all the savescummers, all the people who are carried to their rank via squad and such, but what else is there to do? People will always find an easy way of achieving something, specially when it comes to anything with rank. I don't squad, as I have no one to do it with...nor do I really care, so I can't really give a valid opinion on it. I may be missing what a separate squad rank would do. But I assume you mean like, doing random rank, you have one rank, then when you do squads, no matter whom you do it with, you have a rank for that as well to keep it balanced and neither influence each other. They could either do that or, like you said, make losing and gaining ranks/points in squad impossible. So carrying wouldn't truly be possible.

Playing with 7 other people of equal skill would be much more fun, than playing with people who haven't gained their rank and was carried, or basically cheated for their rank. Sorry if I'm not making any sense. Kind of tired and it seems like I'm rambling on...but I hope I made at least some sense.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
I agree with what you say. It's just that I'm sure it would get tiring to get the rank, just to be reset every 2-4 months. I don't let my rank determine my status in the Splatoon world and all that jazz. But I will admit having to climb up every 2-4 months of being booted back to square one would get tiring. It's true it would really keep the alts, and the people being carried and scumming limited (unless they find a way to stop that), but it will have its downfalls. But lots of other competitive games use the whole "Rank resetting" thing. Yes people complain about it, but they roll with it, and if they're sick of it, they just quit. Simple. So it's either they stay and they play, they quit the game entirely, or if there's a social (IE like what our TW is), that's what they do.

Sucks that this would be the only real way of dealing with all the savescummers, all the people who are carried to their rank via squad and such, but what else is there to do? People will always find an easy way of achieving something, specially when it comes to anything with rank. I don't squad, as I have no one to do it with...nor do I really care, so I can't really give a valid opinion on it. I may be missing what a separate squad rank would do. But I assume you mean like, doing random rank, you have one rank, then when you do squads, no matter whom you do it with, you have a rank for that as well to keep it balanced and neither influence each other. They could either do that or, like you said, make losing and gaining ranks/points in squad impossible. So carrying wouldn't truly be possible.

Playing with 7 other people of equal skill would be much more fun, than playing with people who haven't gained their rank and was carried, or basically cheated for their rank. Sorry if I'm not making any sense. Kind of tired and it seems like I'm rambling on...but I hope I made at least some sense.
I do not know the proper time since I am unfamiliar with such things, I just know they exist like that. I know be harder then now since everyone would be put back to c- but like that video I shown, the truly super S skilled people could make it in 6-11 hours (assuming they had other people playing around the times they do otherwise A- vs Bs may be a crawl, but they do it based on average team rank anyway. Anyways there be some crazy people make it to S+ in 1-2 days even under such conditions, that is why I shown the video, making S ranks appear to be effortless just as long as her teammates went completely worthless. I really do not know a good time window for a reset but the oppistie effect can happen to, give some people a reason to play and not sit on 1+ million coins and 100+ snails.

Does 6 months sound better? idk

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
I wouldn't mind, but I also don't mind the way things are now too much either.

wow that was such a pointless response. I am so dumb lol
yeah but you have a japan wii u, on average they tend to be better, that is why i posted in the other thread if it seemed like you ever had useless teammates or did the matches seem pretty even?

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
yeah but you have a japan wii u, on average they tend to be better, that is why i posted in the other thread if it seemed like you ever had useless teammates or did the matches seem pretty even?
Oh, sorry, I hadnt checked out that post yet.

Yeah we get that fiber optic lag-free perk.

As for team mates, they seemed even-ish. Nothing out of the ordinary. At times I was a weaker member of the team but others I tended to dominate, pretty standard relative to how my ranked matches usually go.

I will say that, due to S+ being lumped into S, my gameplay on my S main was a little rough. I definitely felt like a useless team mate at times. Whereas on my A+ alt things seemed to be a lot more balanced/geared to my personal skill level (mid-S, I fall out of S a lot but also spend a lot of time in S 50 range).

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
I do not know the proper time since I am unfamiliar with such things, I just know they exist like that. I know be harder then now since everyone would be put back to c- but like that video I shown, the truly super S skilled people could make it in 6-11 hours (assuming they had other people playing around the times they do otherwise A- vs Bs may be a crawl, but they do it based on average team rank anyway. Anyways there be some crazy people make it to S+ in 1-2 days even under such conditions, that is why I shown the video, making S ranks appear to be effortless just as long as her teammates went completely worthless. I really do not know a good time window for a reset but the oppistie effect can happen to, give some people a reason to play and not sit on 1+ million coins and 100+ snails.

Does 6 months sound better? idk
I'll have to take a gander at that video when I'm not as dead so I can analyze things much better.

But it's okay, because besides smash, Splatoon is the only other game I'm actually competitive in. So I don't really know an accurate time frame for the reset. Between 3-6 months actually sound reasonable. It's not too little, but not too much either. So. Then again, we're speaking figuratively, as this would probably be something Nintendo MAY fix around Splatoon 2 (or Spla2n as others are calling it). It's just the continuous climb is gonna infuriate a lot of people. But that's to be expected.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I never said that someone's rank is a "status symbol" nor did I ever imply such a thing. I don't think it's a "status symbol". Trust me, I'm not ****y like that. It's probably just my sense of justice that I know most people don't share. I don't think it's fair to punish everyone on Splatoon because a few people chose to cheat. Why invalidate someone's hard work and tell them they don't deserve their rank because someone else cheated the system? That's hardly fair at all and I don't see how anyone can feel it is fair to do so.

Honestly... I would probably get tired of Splatoon if we reset our ranks every 2-4 months. I mean... Why bother? Your progress won't matter. Your work won't matter. Nothing will matter. Everything will be gone in a few months anyway. As someone who is a perfectionist, it would bother me to have my progress wiped away and I would tire of it. I would tire of Splatoon because there would no longer be much of a point to Ranked. It would become boring and tedious to play Ranked knowing that your rank and progress will disappear over and over and over and over again. It just makes the entire thing seem completely pointless and tiresome.

I wouldn't be happy to have my progress wiped away but I would accept it once and only once. The idea of wiping our ranks every 2 to 4 months is absurd. If the system is changed and our ranks are stored to the servers, one rank reset is more than enough. Anything more than that borders upon absurd.

EDIT: I do agree about squads of course. I wish none of the ranks gained points. I often feel bad squadding with some of my friends because I feel like I've accidentally carried them to a rank they didn't deserve. I feel bad when I see my friends struggling because I feel it's my fault. I also feel bad when someone deranks when they're squadding with me because I feel like it's my fault they did so. So I would love for Nintendo to change it and make it so no rank gained points within a squad. It would be much more fair that way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom