• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Cats Win 51% of Splat Fest Matches

OctagonalKahn

Inkster Jr.
NNID
otagonalkahn
I'm saving my 9 snails for the amiibo then I get them! I cant wait for next splatfest!

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
Didnt realize that it ended today so I didnt push to the highest rank last night. Sucks cat lost, but Im actually more peeved that it's gone back down to only two stages per rotation again. Im really hoping 3 per rotation isnt splatfest exclusive :(

OctagonalKahn

Inkster Jr.
NNID
otagonalkahn
Didnt realize that it ended today so I didnt push to the highest rank last night. Sucks cat lost, but Im actually more peeved that it's gone back down to only two stages per rotation again. Im really hoping 3 per rotation isnt splatfest exclusive :(
I think the 3 map rotation was there because the servers could handle another map in rotation.

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
A two percent difference isn't exactly enough to make such a broad claim. If anything the results show that both teams are relatively even in skill.
A 2% difference while dogs vastly outnumbered us, lol. It's far larger than you think.

Funen1

Full Squid
NNID
Funen1
A 2% difference while dogs vastly outnumbered us, lol. It's far larger than you think.
Only matches where it was Cat vs. Dog/Rock vs. Pop/etc. counted toward the final result. Not including disconnects, which most likely did not favor one team over another in the grand scheme of things, that means the "effective" number of players for both sides were considered equal. That's why that change was added in the 1.3.0 patch, so the more popular team can't jack up their win percentage by virtue of their popularity - they have to earn those wins to the same degree as the less popular team.

Achamo

Inkling Commander
NNID
KupoSuppi
Did anyone else feel bad about giving spyke the snails when he sits there deliberately telling you that all he wants is the gooey stuff inside. Those poor poor snails. Granted I wouldn't give 2 splats if they didn't have faces and quiver so bad D:
This!

I was saying to myself that I don't want to hand over the little guys to him, but on the other hand, I really wanted those re rolls..
It's not that hard farming 30k (Even though I Turf War most of the time),but sure does take a while.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
It was a good run, and I got quite the winning streak for Team Cat in the festival's final hour, but overall I do feel like the tally should've been handled differently.
Maybe if the win count was given a x3 multiplier instead of x2, it would've felt more skill-based.

I'm not mad though. It was fun pretty much all the way through, and I'm looking forward to the next one for sure. I got so much money out of it that I might just not ever use my sea snails, though.
Why bother even having a popularity score in the first place then?
The way things are already ensure skill will triumph when popularity doesn't declare an immediate advantage.
And it's still POSSIBLE to overcome a popularity deficit with enough wins... it's just very unlikely to occur with public matchmaking
involving anyone from pros to average joes to shmoes on both sides. The only way to TRULY make this skill-based would be to have every
competing team be an organized unit.

Still I don't think one should take the results of Splatfest so seriously; it's meant to be a festive occasion where people can speak their
minds about their favourite things and then fight for them when numbers fail to determine a winner. No matter what though, everyone gets fabulous
prizes for participating and get to see Callie & Marie dance and sing. What more could you really want?

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Popularity shouldn't even matter. We won more matches, so Team Cat still wins in my mind. Good job guys! :)
Look at it this way. Think of victories as a way of getting your voice out on your choice of animal. Whatever side speaks the most about
their favourite animal wins. Cats were slightly louder than dogs despite being in the minority and could have won if they were even louder, but unfortunately
the dogs were almost as loud and there was noticeably more of them, so they made a bigger splash in the end.

If you think excluding popularity makes the event purely skill-based, you're wrong; being open to everyone means that whoever wins is based on who
was luckier, either through arbitrarily having more skilled players or having less disconnects on your end. People might also get openly hostile towards
players, demanding that they don't drag their side down with inferior performance.

With popularity, players can lend support for their side even if they're not especially good players, or can't play for whatever reason. It's the same philosophy
that goes towards turf wars in general; you may not be very good at splatting others, but as long as you're covering ground you ARE helping your team.
Fun for everyone is the name of the game here.

DE235

Full Squid
NNID
Decrosis
I am happy with how I played and hope to win the next one.

Indy Wolfy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CheveyoWolf
As a member of Team Dog, I knew we won the popularity contest considering I had to face against my fellow members of Team Dog at times, but props to Team Cat for getting dem Ws, talk about:
THE FEW and THE PROUD

Beerox

Inkster Jr.
I don't understand the winning criteria at all, but I don't care! Who knew a cat could ever best a dog anyways?

good games, dogs. A crazy day.

Signed
A cat

Prime 2.0

Inkling
NNID
PrimeV2
A two percent difference isn't exactly enough to make such a broad claim. If anything the results show that both teams are relatively even in skill.
As a cat, I played roughly 160 games during splatfest, and ended with a vibe of 64. I point this out not to brag, but to give a sense of scale and to explain why I think my observations might be indicative of overall trends.

About 17 of the games I played began with missing players on my side, and only one began with a missing player on the dog team - and each time my team had missing players, the remainder of the team was broken up. This isn't counting mid-game disconnects(which don't count for what I'm getting at), or times in which I error'd out of the matchmaking lobby which presumably left the rest of my team without me(or at least, the change in vibe would suggest this was the case).

This is nothing new. The first splatfest in Japan had this issue, where the less popular side was very very often given matches with uneven teams to their detriment, to the point that the US splatfest was delayed to attempt to address the issue, resulting in the dog-on-dog matches. It seems that the fix wasn't comprehensive however, and if my ratio of normal games to uneven games against me is at all representative of what everyone else got...

Well, call it 10% of games lost directly because of the matchmaking issues - then add some fudge factor for lost effectiveness due to the loss of good team compositions and the extra practice new players on team dog got because of dog on dog matches...

After all of that, the final battle results were 51 to 49 in cat's favor. It would have taken a score of 57 to 43 or better for team cat to have won, and based on what I saw that's most likely what would have happened absent the disadvantages team cat received from the iffy splatfest matchmaking. 6% isn't that huge of a swing, all things considered. That we won the most matches at all is honestly extraordinary.

Last edited:

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm certainly glad team cat won the most matches. Good job team dog though for winning it all.

Better luck next for me I guess. I will be sticking to what I like best as opposes to just because something might be the most popular so I look forward to the challenge.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
As a cat, I played roughly 160 games during splatfest, and ended with a vibe of 64. I point this out not to brag, but to give a sense of scale and to explain why I think my observations might be indicative of overall trends.

About 17 of the games I played began with missing players on my side, and only one began with a missing player on the dog team - and each time my team had missing players, the remainder of the team was broken up. This isn't counting mid-game disconnects(which don't count for what I'm getting at), or times in which I error'd out of the matchmaking lobby which presumably left the rest of my team without me(or at least, the change in vibe would suggest this was the case).

This is nothing new. The first splatfest in Japan had this issue, where the less popular side was very very often given matches with uneven teams to their detriment, to the point that the US splatfest was delayed to attempt to address the issue, resulting in the dog-on-dog matches. It seems that the fix wasn't comprehensive however, and if my ratio of normal games to uneven games against me is at all representative of what everyone else got...

Well, call it 10% of games lost directly because of the matchmaking issues - then add some fudge factor for lost effectiveness due to the loss of good team compositions and the extra practice new players on team dog got because of dog on dog matches...

After all of that, the final battle results were 51 to 49 in cat's favor. It would have taken a score of 57 to 43 or better for team cat to have won, and based on what I saw that's most likely what would have happened absent the disadvantages team cat received from the iffy splatfest matchmaking. 6% isn't that huge of a swing, all things considered. That we won the most matches at all is honestly extraordinary.
You would have a point, but matches that started without players did not count the same way dog vs dog matches did not count.

Prime 2.0

Inkling
NNID
PrimeV2
You would have a point, but matches that started without players did not count the same way dog vs dog matches did not count.
Source? Nintendo's twitter, and the Splatoon tumblr say nothing about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom