• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Cats Win 51% of Splat Fest Matches

spiffy

Full Squid
NNID
pinkylilacs
to be honest although i had lots of fun this splatfest and really believed cats would win (they seemed more popular from my perspective, but thats just from turf wars!) i think the way winners is decided is kinda bogus. it's only fair that the team who wins the most matches wins more sea snails.

oh well. i don't see nintendo changing anything any time soon. team cats put up such a good fight!

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
The final score was 140-160, which seemed pretty close. It seems like popularity IS a factor but doesn't matter as much as winning does. In this case, dogs just had a ton of popularity though

Still, it was really nice of them to give the losers a 1.5x snail boost! I can't get even the least bit salty about that. Cheers to a really great Splatfest !

NNID
blkhipstr
51% really isn't that great. Dogs got 49% so that just tells me it was pretty even win and loss-wise. Oh well, we all still win those sea snails. Next Splatfest I'm still going to choose the option I prefer more instead of choosing the more popular option like some here have said.
Lmao i can't believe ppl are really downplaying the cats win. Dogs had a significantly bigger pool of players (62%) vs the cats(38%). So in reality they had a 24% advantage and easily could have won both categories. So give the cats credit for pulling a surprising win even if it was 2%.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Lmao i can't believe ppl are really downplaying the cats win. Dogs had a significantly bigger pool of players (62%) vs the cats(38%). So in reality they had a 24% advantage and easily could have won both categories. So give the cats credit for pulling a surprising win even if it was 2%.
I was a cat player and having more players doesn't necessarily mean they're better. 2% is nothing if you have average players go against more average players. There were obviously some outstanding cat players(and dog players for that matter), but the majority are average and the statistics reflect that. I'm not downplaying anything; I'm acknowledging the numbers since they don't lie.

Moko_b

Inkling
NNID
GintokiRP
Just to break down the scores, this is what TeamCat would have needed Win% wise in order to defeat TeamDog:

Popularity Cats 38, Dogs 62 (Add to Win%)

(51*2) 102 + 38 = 140, (49*2) 98 + 62 = 160
(52*2) 104 = 142, (48*2) 96 = 158
~~~
(56*2) 112 = 150, (44*2) 88 = 150 (Tie)

(57*2) 114 = 152, (43*2) 86 = 148 (Cat Win)

The cats lost by 6%. I'm not sure if popularity is as influential as people think but still a good run no matter how you look at it. I think the only way it would become unfair is if the Dog v. Dog matches counted for TeamDog's Win%.

Last edited:

Moko_b

Inkling
NNID
GintokiRP
This is only true if the Dog v. Dog matches counts towards their Win% because then the population of players do have an effect. Only the Dog v. Cat matches should count which means it doesn't matter how many players are on one side. It just means the popular vote will be playing more unranked matches on the side.

Chapter Serf

Semi-Pro Squid
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf

GG Dogs. It was fun!

The 3 on 4 matches were a little odd. I had 3 of them: 2 of them at the disadvantage, one of them at the advantage. The first 3 on 4 I actually won (God I felt so ****ing awesome after that), the next 4 on 3 I had we slaughtered them (like 80% to 8%, just an absolute knockout) and the last 3 on 4 we managed to at least look decent.

All-in-all though I had fun. While I don't understand how popularity wins a war, it was still fun. Even though I lost the war.

I'd say "We'll get you next time, Team Dog!" but there probably won't be a next time, will there?! We'll have new teams!

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Did anyone else feel bad about giving spyke the snails when he sits there deliberately telling you that all he wants is the gooey stuff inside. Those poor poor snails. Granted I wouldn't give 2 splats if they didn't have faces and quiver so bad D:
I'm more worried about that Screwdriver he keeps by the pile of empty Shells :(

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
The final score was 140-160, which seemed pretty close. It seems like popularity IS a factor but doesn't matter as much as winning does. In this case, dogs just had a ton of popularity though

Still, it was really nice of them to give the losers a 1.5x snail boost! I can't get even the least bit salty about that. Cheers to a really great Splatfest !
I would argue instead that popularity is the primary factor, though if the difference isn't big then battles will decide the winner.
Assuming all future Splatfests operate with the same results tallying, it will probably take a difference of 10% or less for the winner to truly
be decided by battles. Because as @Ryuji points out, unless a particular Splatfest separates the men from the boys somehow the wins
are pretty much always going to be really close.

Still, you get significant rewards just for participating and get to see the Squid Sisters, Judd, Cap'n Cuttlefish and Spyke dance (ok the last two don't really dance
but they still can't resist the beat), so you really can't get mad.

Did anyone else feel bad about giving spyke the snails when he sits there deliberately telling you that all he wants is the gooey stuff inside. Those poor poor snails. Granted I wouldn't give 2 splats if they didn't have faces and quiver so bad D:
Well they look like Super Mushrooms and we don't really have trouble eating those now do we?

I'd advise against getting salty over splatfest anyhow; all that salt will ruin your snails
Yes, Spyke hates eating salty sea snails.

GG Dogs. It was fun!

The 3 on 4 matches were a little odd. I had 3 of them: 2 of them at the disadvantage, one of them at the advantage. The first 3 on 4 I actually won (God I felt so ****ing awesome after that), the next 4 on 3 I had we slaughtered them (like 80% to 8%, just an absolute knockout) and the last 3 on 4 we managed to at least look decent.

All-in-all though I had fun. While I don't understand how popularity wins a war, it was still fun. Even though I lost the war.

I'd say "We'll get you next time, Team Dog!" but there probably won't be a next time, will there?! We'll have new teams!
The war seems to be decided by whatever aspect has the biggest differential. A minority of cats could have won if they thoroughly trounced the dogs in battle but that wasn't the case.

If both aspects (popularity and victories) are very close, then the multiplier for having more victories will definitely
push that team ahead.

Zekki

Inkling
At least we won the glory of slight combat superiority. It would have been nice if we got a little something extra for it, but can't really complain about it either way. It would have been nice if you got a souvenir like the shirt, but snails are good too.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
It was a good run, and I got quite the winning streak for Team Cat in the festival's final hour, but overall I do feel like the tally should've been handled differently.
Maybe if the win count was given a x3 multiplier instead of x2, it would've felt more skill-based.

I'm not mad though. It was fun pretty much all the way through, and I'm looking forward to the next one for sure. I got so much money out of it that I might just not ever use my sea snails, though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom