• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Cats Win 51% of Splat Fest Matches

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
You would have a point, but matches that started without players did not count the same way dog vs dog matches did not count.
There's nothing that states this as fact. As far as we know matches that had disconnects still counted.

Prime 2.0

Inkling
NNID
PrimeV2
As what? A loss for both sides? By that I mean getting booted back to lobby.
No, you don't get booted back to the lobby if other people on your team were missing from the start of the match (IE, before the game timer starts only 3 or fewer squid kids are standing on spawn, and the team life HUD shows a squid outline in place of a squid icon for the missing players). The match just plays out with the uneven teams, the result counts for your vibe, and presumably also counts for splatfest results. After all, the game explicitly recognizes that the game STARTED with uneven teams but does nothing to mitigate it in the match itself or even for a player's personal statistics, so why should we expect that they don't count for splatfest results sans word from Nintendo?

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
No, you don't get booted back to the lobby if other people on your team were missing from the start of the match (IE, before the game timer starts only 3 or fewer squid kids are standing on spawn, and the team life HUD shows a squid outline in place of a squid icon for the missing players). The match just plays out with the uneven teams, the result counts for your vibe, and presumably also counts for splatfest results. After all, the game explicitly recognizes that the game STARTED with uneven teams but does nothing to mitigate it in the match itself or even for a player's personal statistics, so why should we expect that they don't count for splatfest results sans word from Nintendo?
Well in all modes disconnecting lowers your vibe, and in ranked you lose rank points.

At any rate it's not like one side was exempt from this problem so I doubt these incidents would skew the results TOO much.

Prime 2.0

Inkling
NNID
PrimeV2
Well in all modes disconnecting lowers your vibe, and in ranked you lose rank points.

At any rate it's not like one side was exempt from this problem so I doubt these incidents would skew the results TOO much.
I direct you to my earlier post where I established that yes, the problem affected one side disproportionately. A bit of an addendum - the missing players issue I'm talking about has -only- ever happened during splatfest. I am not talking about mid-match disconnects.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
I direct you to my earlier post where I established that yes, the problem affected one side disproportionately. A bit of an addendum - the missing players issue I'm talking about has -only- ever happened during splatfest. I am not talking about mid-match disconnects.
Isn't it basically the same as a player leaving in the middle of a match, except it's done right at the beginning? How do you know it's some technical
issue that's not the disconnectee's fault?

..Although it is true that latency was at an all-time high during the event. The result of the too many people on one lobby?

Squadaloo

Full Squid
NNID
RodRodney
Isn't it basically the same as a player leaving in the middle of a match, except it's done right at the beginning? How do you know it's some technical

..Although it is true that latency was at an all-time high during the event. The result of the too many people on one lobby?
No, some matches started with 4 vs 3 even on the "Ready for Battle" screen. Basically, the game only found a team of 3 players and started before even attempting to find a full team. I had this happen to me at least once during Splatfest, but never at any other time. It even had a different "empty squid" icon on the top during the match instead of the usual splatted squid icon it shows when someone disconnects.

Prime 2.0

Inkling
NNID
PrimeV2

Because, as I have already stated multiple times, the particular form of missing players is distinct, and handled differently by the game in multiple ways:
  • The dropped player is missing from the very, VERY beginning - he is not present after map load, period.
  • The HUD shows an outline of a squid instead of a dead squid icon for the missing player
  • The missing player is not listed on the gamepad OR the results screen, nor is any placeholder for them present.
  • These symptoms have not occurred once outside of splatfest in any game I have played, despite playing regularly since launch, nor have I heard of anyone else seeing it happen outside of splatfest despite looking for more details on the issue before ever posting in this thread.
  • These symptoms have already been observed occurring with even greater severity in the Rice Vs Bread splatfest in Japan, which combined with high wait times is what prompted the creation of the "Dog vs Dog" mechanic for imbalanced player pools to begin with.
Again, I've said most of this already, much of it repeatedly and at length. Please read the discussion fully before replying to it.

Last edited:

ChelseaSmile

Inkling
NNID
Warriorofworlds
Dog Queen here and the Cats totally rolled my team a lot, and deserved most their wins. (I'll excuse the time I was forced into a 1v2 match due to disconnections)
Good job Cats! :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom