• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Competitive Splatoon, will it take off?

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
Whats kind of annoying is reading peoples comments is the ones saying "i don't think they intend it to be like this or like that or blah blah blah"
How the hell do any of us know how they want this game to shape up? this game is just over a week old. give it some freaking time, its not like when dota, LoL, counter strike, street fighter, marvel vs capcom, blazblue, starcraft, etc. all developed a competitive scene and had tournaments lined up by the developers a week after those games were released or entered open beta.

Last edited:

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Eh, as long as theres another 4 players for me to throw colors at, Splatoon will always be 'alive' to me.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Whats kind of annoying reading peoples comments is the ones saying "i don't think they intend it to be like this or like that or blah blah blah"
How the hell do any of us know how they want this game to shape up? this game is just over a week old. give it some freaking time, its not like when dota, LoL, counter strike, street fighter, marvel vs capcom, blazblue, starcraft, etc. all developed a competitive scene and had tournaments lined up by the developers a week after those games were released or entered open beta.
On top of that it doesn't matter either way. Sakurai doesn't wan smash to be played competitively, but the community doesn't care, and because they managed to push through Nintendo still supported them. How competitive the game ends up being is totally dependent on us. I we do it right, Nintendo will support us, simple as that.

Fusion

Inkling
NNID
CrazyCupofJoe
I'm not saying it wont be competitive but the difference between Smash and Splatoon is that Smash has the ability to be played offline competitively as well as online. Splatoon, as far as I can tell doesnt have the possibility for LAN play meaning that unless you wanted to do 1v1 you would have to do online games. I think that the Ranked community will stay alive but as far as competitions... Idk

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
I'm not saying it wont be competitive but the difference between Smash and Splatoon is that Smash has the ability to be played offline competitively as well as online. Splatoon, as far as I can tell doesnt have the possibility for LAN play meaning that unless you wanted to do 1v1 you would have to do online games. I think that the Ranked community will stay alive but as far as competitions... Idk
This is also my concern, I don't exactly know how eight wiiUs on one wifi network would work out too.

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
I think it has potential but getting eight Wii U's in a room, making sure the event has stable internet, would be a slight issue..

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
On top of that it doesn't matter either way. Sakurai doesn't wan smash to be played competitively, but the community doesn't care, and because they managed to push through Nintendo still supported them. How competitive the game ends up being is totally dependent on us. I we do it right, Nintendo will support us, simple as that.
Not even close. He balances the game around casual FFA play, but he doesn't hate competitive players. Why even allow players to play 1v1 no items if he didn't want people to? Smash just wasn't made to be competitive, and he's not going to make a game that isn't Super Smash Bros.

Metroid Prime Hunters had a lively community for, what, four years? For a glitch-riden unbalanced mess that's pretty impressive. No tournaments or anything but people played the heck out of it. Kid Icarus is in a bit of a slump but clan wars are still pretty popular. Probably still a few more years left. Splatoon, which seems to be the first Nintendo shooter built with the long-term in mind, looks like it'll keep a community for a long time.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
This is also my concern, I don't exactly know how eight wiiUs on one wifi network would work out too.
Well seeing as people can run LoL tournaments at gaming places with high end computers not to mention other people playing other games online like starcraft2 etc, it shouldn't be a problem to get 8 wii u's to play splatoon.

Twinkie

Full Squid
NNID
Twinkiman
We are supposedly getting a friend competitive lobby added sometime in August.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Splatoon has a big mountain to cloimb if it wants to have a thriving competitive scene. Reason being: its a Wii U game. The Wii U is struggling as is being completely blown away by its competitors. There is hope though. Japan has a very big demand for Splatoon. I just hope something similar will happen in the rest of the world.
http://nintendonews.com/2015/06/initial-japanese-splatoon-sales/

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Not even close. He balances the game around casual FFA play, but he doesn't hate competitive players. Why even allow players to play 1v1 no items if he didn't want people to? Smash just wasn't made to be competitive, and he's not going to make a game that isn't Super Smash Bros.

Metroid Prime Hunters had a lively community for, what, four years? For a glitch-riden unbalanced mess that's pretty impressive. No tournaments or anything but people played the heck out of it. Kid Icarus is in a bit of a slump but clan wars are still pretty popular. Probably still a few more years left. Splatoon, which seems to be the first Nintendo shooter built with the long-term in mind, looks like it'll keep a community for a long time.
i don't know if he still hates competitive players. but he certainly did. He referred to them as fanatics, said he wouldn't cater to them, and then did everything in his power to sabotage high level play in Brawl (although he still failed). There's bad blood between sakurai and competitive players, thus why they don't trust him and are so divided these day. He also continually patches out techs that may be useful in smash 4 if he didn't specifically intend for it to be in the game. If competitive players are using it he usually wants it gone. The 1v1 thing was just an option so that people could play with just one of their friends. It doesn't make sense to force people to play with a minimum four or 3 players or whatever and with items they don't want to play with.
I do respect sakurai's work, but he has a very bad attitude towards competitive play

Splatoon has a big mountain to cloimb if it wants to have a thriving competitive scene. Reason being: its a Wii U game. The Wii U is struggling as is being completely blown away by its competitors. There is hope though. Japan has a very big demand for Splatoon. I just hope something similar will happen in the rest of the world.
http://nintendonews.com/2015/06/initial-japanese-splatoon-sales/
Smash 4 already has a pretty big competitive community that rivals melee in size and melee itself was on the gamecube which sold the least of in its generation. e don't have to worry about numbers much.

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
The game doens't even let you do friend rooms. If that isn't somehow at least limiting competitive play idk what is. The game will be competitive and being "the best" will obviously take a lot lot lot of effort but this game isn't becoming an esport

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
i don't know if he still hates competitive players. but he certainly did. He referred to them as fanatics, said he wouldn't cater to them, and then did everything in his power to sabotage high level play in Brawl (although he still failed). There's bad blood between sakurai and competitive players, thus why they don't trust him and are so divided these day. He also continually patches out techs that may be useful in smash 4 if he didn't specifically intend for it to be in the game. If competitive players are using it he usually wants it gone. The 1v1 thing was just an option so that people could play with just one of their friends. It doesn't make sense to force people to play with a minimum four or 3 players or whatever and with items they don't want to play with.
I do respect sakurai's work, but he has a very bad attitude towards competitive play.
Still no. He didn't call them fanatics, he said he didn't want the game to only be understood and truly enjoyed by the one percent. Of course he wouldn't cater to them, or we'd have a Mario Kart DS situation where the one percent enjoys the game while everybody else hates it. Competitive players wouldn't be seen as "right" today if Melee had online, much like how people don't complain about snaking in Mario Kart Double Dash. He didn't try to sabotage competitive play, he just designed a game without thinking about them like the previous two times.

Now please, this isn't Smashboards.

Anebriate

Inkling
I think the only way Splatoon could be competitive is if there came a patch which let players determine a custom ruleset.

The first to reach a certain coverage % or experimenting with the timer could go a long way. The ranked game mode is effectively king of the hill, which has not historically found a lot of purchase in competitive environments compared to its team-death-match counterparts. In this case, it squanders the magic of Splatoon and, in my opinion at least, reduces the competitive viability of the game overall. The proverbial "hill" doesn't change positions, there is typically only one small control area, and the approaching team is at a disadvantage due to time constraints. It would be like if every game of Smash was a timeout.

Unless certain changes are made or rules enforced to curtail the competitively degenerate elements, I'm struggling to see a strong future for competitive Splatoon.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
The game doens't even let you do friend rooms. If that isn't somehow at least limiting competitive play idk what is. The game will be competitive and being "the best" will obviously take a lot lot lot of effort but this game isn't becoming an esport
There is a patch coming out in august to address that e.e

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
There is a patch coming out in august to address that e.e
>August
It should be available day 1. August is 3 months after Splatoon's launch, by then people will get disinterested and many people didn't buy the game cause of that. It's a basic feature in every online game ever pretty much. Because of things like these the wii u isn't selling well

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
>August
It should be available day 1. August is 3 months after Splatoon's launch, by then people will get disinterested and many people didn't buy the game cause of that. It's a basic feature in every online game ever pretty much. Because of things like these the wii u isn't selling well
And how exactly do you know why "many" people didn't buy the game because of that. Did you poll every single person that was interested in the game but didn't buy it? The fact that it's getting added in with more than likely a FREE dlc, you shouldn't complain. If this was a CoD, battlefield, etc. game they'd charge 20 dollars for that dlc.

Please do not say ignorant things like "because of things like these the wii u isn't selling well."

The wii u is not selling well for a few reasons and one of them sure as hell is not because splatoon didn't give players the ability to invite friends to play on the same damn team as them.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Still no. He didn't call them fanatics, he said he didn't want the game to only be understood and truly enjoyed by the one percent. Of course he wouldn't cater to them, or we'd have a Mario Kart DS situation where the one percent enjoys the game while everybody else hates it. Competitive players wouldn't be seen as "right" today if Melee had online, much like how people don't complain about snaking in Mario Kart Double Dash. He didn't try to sabotage competitive play, he just designed a game without thinking about them like the previous two times.

Now please, this isn't Smashboards.
I've heard it as him calling people fanatics, but that's beside the point. He obviously has a problem with competitive players or brawl wouldn't have been how it was, plain and simple. I'm not hating on the game by the way, I love Brawl just as much as any other smash game, in fact it's the game that got me into competitive smash, and a game i still like to watch. However, that doesn't change the fact that sakurai got rid of as many competitive things from melee as he pretty much could. things that no one was complaining about. the only time the debate about competitive or not became an issue was after brawl came out, when Sakurai made it an issue. Had brawl been competitive in a similar way to melee, everyone would've been happy. but Sakurai was out to get the community and so he tried to destroy the game for them.= This is further proved if you look at the things he removed and added. Things that could not have been things he got rid of just for making the game the game. Not to mention he pretty much bragged about purposely spitting in competitive players' faces by adding random tripping and strutting around about it. I don't know why you're trying to pretend this is some myth or rumour people out for Sakurai have made up. there are boatloads of evidence to support these claims. People absolutely love smash, the competitive community moreso than anyone else. At the time brawl came out, absolutely no one was looking to jump down sakurai's throat, if anything he was worshiped. He made the game everyone loved so much. He made an enemy where there was none before. That's just the history, plain and simple.
Also I don't know hoew you can claim he didn't think about them when he's already more than acknowledged theur existence, and further more stated that they did factor into how he created the game, except with a negative bias. That's completely contradictory.
Also I don't know where you live that everyone hates MKDS. I never played that game competitively, or even met anyone that did, but i knew a LOT of people that had it, and all of them loved it to death. Myself included. Same for double dash, although i don't even know what you're talking about how if they were online people would have called them wrong. Wrong about what?

Finally I have no idea what you mean by "this isn't smashboards" but I think you should take a little look into who the forum is partnered with, who it's named after, and where a massive percentage of this community comes from. I think you'll find that this forum is much more smasboards than you think it is.

Setu

I've heard it as him calling people fanatics, but that's beside the point. He obviously has a problem with competitive players or brawl wouldn't have been how it was, plain and simple. I'm not hating on the game by the way, I love Brawl just as much as any other smash game, in fact it's the game that got me into competitive smash, and a game i still like to watch. However, that doesn't change the fact that sakurai got rid of as many competitive things from melee as he pretty much could. things that no one was complaining about. the only time the debate about competitive or not became an issue was after brawl came out, when Sakurai made it an issue. Had brawl been competitive in a similar way to melee, everyone would've been happy. but Sakurai was out to get the community and so he tried to destroy the game for them.= This is further proved if you look at the things he removed and added. Things that could not have been things he got rid of just for making the game the game. Not to mention he pretty much bragged about purposely spitting in competitive players' faces by adding random tripping and strutting around about it. I don't know why you're trying to pretend this is some myth or rumour people out for Sakurai have made up. there are boatloads of evidence to support these claims. People absolutely love smash, the competitive community moreso than anyone else. At the time brawl came out, absolutely no one was looking to jump down sakurai's throat, if anything he was worshiped. He made the game everyone loved so much. He made an enemy where there was none before. That's just the history, plain and simple.
Also I don't know hoew you can claim he didn't think about them when he's already more than acknowledged theur existence, and further more stated that they did factor into how he created the game, except with a negative bias. That's completely contradictory.
Also I don't know where you live that everyone hates MKDS. I never played that game competitively, or even met anyone that did, but i knew a LOT of people that had it, and all of them loved it to death. Myself included. Same for double dash, although i don't even know what you're talking about how if they were online people would have called them wrong. Wrong about what?

Finally I have no idea what you mean by "this isn't smashboards" but I think you should take a little look into who the forum is partnered with, who it's named after, and where a massive percentage of this community comes from. I think you'll find that this forum is much more smasboards than you think it is.
Actually, the majority of this forum consists of non-smash players, or at least the active members that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom