Competitve Splatoon and spectators.

Nucleose

Inkster Jr.
NNID
KingNucleose
We'll see if they add any new modes. I'm pretty sure they aren't done expanding on the game yet.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
This isn't a discussion about setups. Please discuss that somewhere else. Obviously setup is important but lets get things back on track.

Here's a question: how will other modes fair with spectators? Splatzones for example seems to be a much more up close and personal mode where confrontation is inevitable. Perhaps that could prove more exciting to viewers than regular turf war.

Jaymz

Inkling
NNID
jaymz26
There are at least two more game modes coming, for those who did not kno. tower Control and Rain Maker.

Krozo

Full Squid
NNID
KrozoMagnus
It was really funny how the commentators at the "Championship" reacted to things that happen all the time. It was pretty painful to watch actually.

Scoot

Inkling
NNID
Scootpilgrim
Games, sports, etc can all be great competitive sports yet some are just not entertaining to a lot of people. It's not exclusive to any particular genre of game either. Mental games like Chess, physical games like football (or soccer), even LoL (and esport) has its fair share of "boring" views towards the competitive scene even though they are all very popular. I don't know why it is like this but here's what I'm asking you now. Is Splatoon going to be labelled as boring or exciting to the wider audience?
Here's the thing, what you have listed here, all these games are very time consuming and strategic games not that time consuming and/or strat games are bad but if it's one thing I've learnt from playing sport, spectating sport and playing video games and spectating video games is that the general public like their sports/games to be quick, exciting and easy to understand/get with without having to think too hard, the reason why games like chess, soccer and LoL have their niche market is like anything it's usually the players that have played the game or been personally introduced that make the spectators.

So the real question is, do you want Splatoon to be spectated by a wider audience or just the community base we have built?

Now I believe that Splatoon has these qualities to be spectated by a larger audience.

-Weapons depict how the game is played and what strategies can arise from it i.e. paint roller for support/defense
-Abilities can decide the pace of the individual player
-Specials can be used as strategic pushes for team members to advance
-The quick nature of the game itself (i.e. the timer) enables enjoyable viewing experience for spectators

Not only that but having Nintendo as a rep for this game means a wider introduction what with being tied to the idea of being family fun.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
This isn't a discussion about setups. Please discuss that somewhere else. Obviously setup is important but lets get things back on track.

Here's a question: how will other modes fair with spectators? Splatzones for example seems to be a much more up close and personal mode where confrontation is inevitable. Perhaps that could prove more exciting to viewers than regular turf war.
I think it's more than fair to discuss how ludicrous the price is to set up 1 match for a new IP that already has a shrinking player base. I played ranked for the first time in about a week and a half and my rooms for about 90 minutes consisted of players from B to A+ rank when they should not have had any players lower than A. It's nice to discuss the game as a spectator sport but you have to realize that chances are it'll be a side event with <50 registrants. Do I want this? No, I like free money.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Games, sports, etc can all be great competitive sports yet some are just not entertaining to a lot of people. It's not exclusive to any particular genre of game either. Mental games like Chess, physical games like football (or soccer), even LoL (and esport) has its fair share of "boring" views towards the competitive scene even though they are all very popular. I don't know why it is like this but here's what I'm asking you now. Is Splatoon going to be labelled as boring or exciting to the wider audience?
I think we can basically say that Splatoon will be more generally boring. That is the vibe I got from watching the Nintendo World Championships. The crowd was loud, but it was loud with artificial cheer. I'm not saying it was pre-recorded, or anything like that, but it was more the atmosphere than the actual game that was pushing the bill.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Here's the thing, what you have listed here, all these games are very time consuming and strategic games not that time consuming and/or strat games are bad but if it's one thing I've learnt from playing sport, spectating sport and playing video games and spectating video games is that the general public like their sports/games to be quick, exciting and easy to understand/get with without having to think too hard, the reason why games like chess, soccer and LoL have their niche market is like anything it's usually the players that have played the game or been personally introduced that make the spectators.

So the real question is, do you want Splatoon to be spectated by a wider audience or just the community base we have built?

Now I believe that Splatoon has these qualities to be spectated by a larger audience.

-Weapons depict how the game is played and what strategies can arise from it i.e. paint roller for support/defense
-Abilities can decide the pace of the individual player
-Specials can be used as strategic pushes for team members to advance
-The quick nature of the game itself (i.e. the timer) enables enjoyable viewing experience for spectators

Not only that but having Nintendo as a rep for this game means a wider introduction what with being tied to the idea of being family fun.
Agreed. Just two more points to add to that list.
  • Stages provide variety which ultimately affect the choice of particular weapons/gear and keep it exciting for viewers. LoL might be massive but I see a lot of people complaining that is boring because there is a lack of variety. Splatoon has 8 right now with more to come.
  • Music. Sounds pretty unimportant but music can really change the mood of a match. Usually the more intense or pumped the music the more exciting the match. No doubt Splatoon has that that of music. It's catchy, memorable, a bit weird (not a bad thing in this case) and exhilarating (last minute for example).

I think it's more than fair to discuss how ludicrous the price is to set up 1 match for a new IP that already has a shrinking player base. I played ranked for the first time in about a week and a half and my rooms for about 90 minutes consisted of players from B to A+ rank when they should not have had any players lower than A. It's nice to discuss the game as a spectator sport but you have to realize that chances are it'll be a side event with <50 registrants. Do I want this? No, I like free money.
It's important no doubt but not the main focus of discussion here. It was the only thing being discussed for a while on this thread. As a side discussion its fine but its best to start a new thread for that.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Sorry for double posting.
I think we can basically say that Splatoon will be more generally boring. That is the vibe I got from watching the Nintendo World Championships. The crowd was loud, but it was loud with artificial cheer. I'm not saying it was pre-recorded, or anything like that, but it was more the atmosphere than the actual game that was pushing the bill.
Well of course THAT was boring. Most of the players there looked a bit inexperienced and the commentators knew next to nothing. The kid was also annoying. Any competition run by Nintendo is not going to be the highlight of competitive play. Remember the Smash Invitational where item were legal.

Krozo

Full Squid
NNID
KrozoMagnus

Well of course THAT was boring. Most of the players there looked a bit inexperienced and the commentators knew next to nothing. The kid was also annoying. Any competition run by Nintendo is not going to be the highlight of competitive play. Remember the Smash Invitational where item were legal.
Exactly. This game is fast paced and back and forth on so many levels. Just watching A ranked players stream is enjoyable to me. Now imagine that level play with a full 4v4 team experience. The game alone is fun to watch at a higher level, but with teamwork and strategy, the natural push and pull could really grow and IMO will be very fun to spectate.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke

Even of Nintendo is terrible at hosting events like that, there still should have been at least a couple of moments where everybody would have gotten real excitement. Remember the smash invitational? Now THAT was hype.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Even of Nintendo is terrible at hosting events like that, there still should have been at least a couple of moments where everybody would have gotten real excitement. Remember the smash invitational? Now THAT was hype.
What is entertaining is ultimately subjective. I didn't think either events were terribly exciting but I won't deny that I did enjoy them, warts and all.

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
Weren't some of the people in the Smash Invitational - Pro Smash players?
As far as we know all the guys who played Splatoon were C- Ranks

Nucleose

Inkster Jr.
NNID
KingNucleose
They were pro Smash players because Smash's mechanics have been around for a very long time now...Even the people who are the best at Splatoon right now aren't necessarily the kind of pro we'll see in a year, forget 5+.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
That tournament was terrible though, like players that shouldn't have gone through each round went through anyway because they picked characters that were popular. Hell the dude that won the damn thing only won because he picked megaman in the finals and everyone voted for him when the match ended in a "tie."
Like under normal competitive smash rules he would've came in second because he had a higher % of damage on him than the other player. Also I'd give the "hype" more to the fact they had guys that commentate competitive smash close to a weekly basis instead of a couple people that have almost no experience as commentators like what happened during the splatoon part of the NWC

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
To be fair, Splatoon hasn't even been out for a full month. There probably aren't any big name commentators for it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom