• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Critique My Gear

Quiana

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4640-8314-4331
@ThatOneGuy

I'll take that into consideration. I was using some gear pieces that looked good between a few weapons, but I certainly want to hone the mini splatling when I use it. I tend to favor Brella/Splatlings, the mini is more for enjoying some aggression. The only reason the sub-up is on there is from my brush set, because it was the only shoes that worked somewhat okay for the mini too.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
https://loadout.ink/#03000019ce701114a502139ce this is a kit i think would work well with inkbroosh. Tell me what you think.
I REALLY need to learn Brushes. I've seen a few people ask about Brush loadouts in other places. From what I can tell, it looks pretty solid.

Admittedly I'm a sucker for Ink Saver Sub. I think the Brush's bombs are one of its most valuable tools, so lobbing them more efficiently is always a plus. Ink Recovery to recover from your bombing. Swim Speed for quickly rushing your unaware enemy, or to run away. I don't know how valuable Ink Resistance is, since you can dash through enemy ink with your Brush. That's the only thing I have question with, but I don't play Brushes, so it might have value that I'm unaware of. For what to replace it with, I would do Special Power Up. That is if it needs replacing at all. Once again, unsure of how valuable Ink Resistance is for Brushes.

I was think BDU, but bombs explode on impact to the Brella Shield, so couldn't I just open the Brella before it explodes or hits the ground?
Sure, but you can't always predict when you're going to be hit with a bomb or special. Bomb Defense Up will help you survive a Inkjet hit, where trying to tank with your Brella would be a bad idea. Someone suddenly uses a Splashdown, you don't have time to whip out your Brella, BDU would help you survive if you get far enough away. It could also help with a Burst Bomb blindside.

Quiana

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4640-8314-4331
@ThatOneGuy
There was one thing I realize that may not be understood by the brella too. The ink saver mains also reduce the cost of umbrella deployment/launch. Popping your brella open to defend against bombs or specials can cost a significant amount of ink, so main savers let you pop the brella open far more frequently or launch and fire to clear corridors without having to duck back and recharge.

I'm going to be building an entirely new set for the mini, since I know full charges are only 15% ink tank. Any recommendations besides run-ups on it? I'd say splat bombs are just a finisher, though the way I was playing I'd use them frequently to deny territory or cover under myself while going through enemy territory (which is where I put into for sub savers). Maybe an ink resistance main since it has significant effect for just one slot?

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
@ThatOneGuy
There was one thing I realize that may not be understood by the brella too. The ink saver mains also reduce the cost of umbrella deployment/launch. Popping your brella open to defend against bombs or specials can cost a significant amount of ink, so main savers let you pop the brella open far more frequently or launch and fire to clear corridors without having to duck back and recharge.

I'm going to be building an entirely new set for the mini, since I know full charges are only 15% ink tank. Any recommendations besides run-ups on it? I'd say splat bombs are just a finisher, though the way I was playing I'd use them frequently to deny territory or cover under myself while going through enemy territory (which is where I put into for sub savers). Maybe an ink resistance main since it has significant effect for just one slot?
But then wouldn’t it be more useful to equip Ink Saver Main or Ink Recovery Up? Both are effective while shooting and when the opponents don’t have bombs.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Again, I don't know too much about the mini splatling, but run speed is a staple on any mini build (I know you said more things than run speed), so I think you could get away without having to use ink resistance, just because you can throw your burst bomb on the floor with the mini to get yourself out of enemy ink easily. But if you feel comfortable with ink resistance, go ahead.

Other perks I'd recommend on pretty much any weapon would be Swim Speed Up and Bomb Defense Up. For the sake of this weapon, I would probably steer clear of swim speed because you already have run speed for your mobility, and you've invested a lot into this build already at this point. But bomb defense up is definitely worth running. Believe it or not, bomb defense up is great against chip damage (which is the reason for a lot of deaths in this game), allowing you to survive longer. And with your current mobility build, it'd be great to get some sustainability at this point. However, how much you want to put is up to you really. If you want to live 2 indirect inkjet blasts, wear one sub of bomb defense. That's right, you saw that correctly ONLY ONE SUB. Other than that, you can go for 1 main and 4 subs to live a direct burst bomb, and two indirect burst bomb hits. Which is pretty obscure because it only really happens against burst bomb heavy teams, or players with the triple burst bomb build. But, 1 main and 2 subs of bomb defense will protect you from the splattershot's splashdown + burst bomb combo. Which is a pretty big deal because the splattershot is and always will be prevalent in the meta, so having something in your arsenal to defend against it is pretty great.

Hope this helps on what to run with your mini. Basically just focus on run speed, sub saver/ink resistance, and fill the rest with bomb defense up.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Well alright, I've been wondering some things about my own setups so why not.

The idea with the Dualie Squelchers is that I'd play a backline role, making sure our turf remains covered, flankers aren't trying anything, and I can scatter the opponents with Tenta Missiles. The sub power up is to mark approaching enemies for longer. The whole kit serves the purpose of making sure I keep accurate tabs on the the opposing team, while moving in to push when necessary.

With the Mini Splatling I tend to play more front-line roles and keep map control near the centre. Beyond being mobile I was at a loss for how to run this weapon; it just isn't as potent as the Zimi from the first game.

I don't use close range weapons, really ever, because I tilt too easily from being splatted all the time. I wanted to give these a try for choice Rainmaker rotations because of its crazy DPS after rolling for popping the shield quickly. My general objective would be to rush mid and place a beacon nearby, recover ink, and pop the rainmaker. This set would be pure objective, carrying the rainmaker as far as possible, inevitably getting myself killed, and quickly hopping back to mid. Comeback helps me with mobility and sub saver for putting down more beacons after pushing the objective. If someone else grabs the rainmaker, I'd put effort towards map control and beacon pressure. If the opposing team had the rainmaker, suction bomb rush is there to apply pressure and prevent pushes.

Attachments

Photon Jet

Inkster Jr.
Now THIS will really come in handy. I guess I have no choice but to let the gear I plan on using be criticized to join the big leagues.

I'm mostly a Tentatek Splattershot user as I found it to be great use with it's sub-power and special. Plus, it's fun flying up in the air hence my name, 'Photon Jet'. I chose this set because in all honesty, I like my Inkling OC to fit my personality. A fun and friendly computer user.

But enough about that. Are there any changes I need to make to my gear so I can not only become the predator of my team but to keep my Inkling OC's style as well? Your feedback is appreciated.

upload_2017-11-4_22-31-53.png

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I plan on using this build for the Range Blaster, what do you think?

Finally, somebody who suggests something I know about :)
The main savers are good, allowing you to get in 10 shots with that three sub threshold. With the sub saver, you can get off 4 more shots after throwing a sub which is good. As for the ink recovery, that's a bit overkill, but I can see the set is somewhat inclined for bomb spam, which isn't bad for the set, but I wouldn't go for a straight up pure on it. The sub of bomb defense is good, lets you fight inkjets a bit easier, and the main of swim speed is pretty good. You could try something like special charge, since you play the range blaster more defensively and you want to capture the turf for yourself. Even tenacity could work on this build if you want to.

A solid build for bomb spam, but it's not something I would use on the range blaster. I would use something like this
upload_2017-11-4_20-6-56.png

This is just a survivalist class that just suits the way I play range blaster. The focus is just on surviving and being mobile when in a fight. Sub saver is just there so that I don't have under 3 shots when I throw a suction. And I have comeback as an insurance perk, to allow me to get back in the fight quicker if I had a trade or I died instead of getting a kill. Also it helps me charge up inkstorms if I die so I can retake the zone easier after they captured it. But this is just how I prefer playing the weapon.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
Well alright, I've been wondering some things about my own setups so why not.

The idea with the Dualie Squelchers is that I'd play a backline role, making sure our turf remains covered, flankers aren't trying anything, and I can scatter the opponents with Tenta Missiles. The sub power up is to mark approaching enemies for longer. The whole kit serves the purpose of making sure I keep accurate tabs on the the opposing team, while moving in to push when necessary.

With the Mini Splatling I tend to play more front-line roles and keep map control near the centre. Beyond being mobile I was at a loss for how to run this weapon; it just isn't as potent as the Zimi from the first game.

I don't use close range weapons, really ever, because I tilt too easily from being splatted all the time. I wanted to give these a try for choice Rainmaker rotations because of its crazy DPS after rolling for popping the shield quickly. My general objective would be to rush mid and place a beacon nearby, recover ink, and pop the rainmaker. This set would be pure objective, carrying the rainmaker as far as possible, inevitably getting myself killed, and quickly hopping back to mid. Comeback helps me with mobility and sub saver for putting down more beacons after pushing the objective. If someone else grabs the rainmaker, I'd put effort towards map control and beacon pressure. If the opposing team had the rainmaker, suction bomb rush is there to apply pressure and prevent pushes.
You could have a skilled player critique your set, but you're stuck with me! All with weapons I haven't spent much time with. Lucky fella~

The Squelchers look pretty alright. Tenacity and Special Charge are nice for harassing the opponents with Tenta Missiles. Swim Speed is always nice. I'm not sure how valuable the Sub Power Up is with the Point Sensors. If it increases the tracking time, then that will help your allies with knowing where threats are. For Ink Saver, I would replace with Ink Recovery. I don't think Dualie Squelchers use that much ink, and Ink Recovery will help from the back with the Point Sensors. For Special Power Up, I would say replace it. I don't think it's very useful for Tenta Missiles at all. More Special Charge or Bomb Defense would be alright replacements.

For the Mini Splatling, thasallota Run Speed. Seems like a good setup. I wish I could add more, but I know nothing about them. If I were to add anything, it would be Ink Saver Sub, but that depends on how much you like Burst Bombs. If you don't have much use for them, then things seems fine as-is.

Dapple Dualie set looks pretty good. It seems to do what you're intending for it to do. The Swim Speed for escaping and pushing the Rainmaker. Run Speed for doing what Dapple Dualies do best...go fast! Then Comeback to boost multiple things from the inevitable splat in Rainmaker. I can't think of anything that might improve it.

I have a couple of set ideas myself. These are only ideas. I haven't started on the sets yet.

The Forge Splattershot Pro is my weapon of choice for Splat Zones, and that's what this set is intended for. Do my Splattershot Pro thing, and use the enhanced bubbles to fill in the Splat Zone and maybe get some surprise splats. The Ink Sub is for fun times with suction bombs, and popping my bubbles quicker.

Admittedly I haven't spent that much time with the Range Blaster. It's still my weapon of choice for Tower Control unless it's a really in-your-face map. Of course I just want to stay as far back as I can and do my Blaster thing.

Screenshot-2017-11-4 loadout ink - Stat Calculator + Gear Planner for Splatoon 2.png Screenshot-2017-11-6 loadout ink - Stat Calculator + Gear Planner for Splatoon 2.png

EpicSonicLatios

Inkling
NNID
EpicSonicLatios
Attatched is my current build for the Tentatek. I play a pretty aggressive style, moving around a lot and trying to get kills to help enable a push from my team, and I’m almost always in the top half of the team in kills, so the movement mains are a given. I also like to use bombs as a zoning tool which helps get around the relative lack of range on the main weapon, which really helps against stuff like the pro and range blaster. I’m still trying to decide what to do with the subs, right now I’ve got 3 ink Recovery on the shirt but I don’t know what to put on the subs. My plan was to add some ink saver or more run speed as the subs. I’m also open to getting rid of the ink Recovery if something else is more optimal.

Attachments

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I'm not sure how valuable the Sub Power Up is with the Point Sensors. If it increases the tracking time, then that will help your allies with knowing where threats are. For Ink Saver, I would replace with Ink Recovery. I don't think Dualie Squelchers use that much ink, and Ink Recovery will help from the back with the Point Sensors. For Special Power Up, I would say replace it. I don't think it's very useful for Tenta Missiles at all. More Special Charge or Bomb Defense would be alright replacements.

Dapple Dualie set looks pretty good. It seems to do what you're intending for it to do. The Swim Speed for escaping and pushing the Rainmaker. Run Speed for doing what Dapple Dualies do best...go fast! Then Comeback to boost multiple things from the inevitable splat in Rainmaker. I can't think of anything that might improve it.
Thanks for the feedback. I'd say you're right about the ink saver -> ink recovery and I'm down to replace special power up. I never really checked how much it was improved from the last update, so I guess I just assumed it was a lot. Now the only question is how I can make a decent looking gear setup to incorporate these changes. Also that dapple dualie setup worked like a charm; it got me to S in Rainmaker for the first time and sub power up does increase tracking duration.

I wish I could give some advice for your weapons, but honestly I don't know what I'm doing. I used the range blaster a lot in the first game but clearly the meta changed. I generally ran some ink saver main to increase the number of shots I got on a full tank, but you really don't want to be standing around shooting; chances are you'll be bunnyhopping and ink recovery would help more. Maybe a balance between the two? Ink resistance might be useful too. Your blast paths may not be as narrow as the rapid blaster, but you can still get yourself caught from time to time.

The diminishing returns of abilities isn't as immediate as I thought they'd be, in fact they're pretty linear until around the 25 ability point mark. I bring this up because in the past, I normally did not invest heavily into one or two abilities and tended to spread things out with shooters. My (untested) pro setup made use of Comeback/LDE, swim speed, ink saver main, ink recovery, bomb defence (enough to avoid key plays), and ink resistance. You could chuck a bit of special power up in there if you want bigger bubbles, but where I'd fit it in my own setup I have no idea.

Smaug

Inkling
Splatoon 2 loadout.jpg

This is what I'v been using for my Splattershot. The 4 secondaries of sub saver are to get 3 burst bombs from a single tank. The rest is just to improve overall mobility. Not sure if I should switch run speed with bomb defense but the run speed generally does very well.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
View attachment 5870

This is what I'v been using for my Splattershot. The 4 secondaries of sub saver are to get 3 burst bombs from a single tank. The rest is just to improve overall mobility. Not sure if I should switch run speed with bomb defense but the run speed generally does very well.
Looks good, the threshold of 1 main and 4 subs is important for any burst bomb weapon, very good attention to detail there.
Other than that, I'm guessing you're wanting to win more gunfights or just be a mixed mobile aggro player.

I have not too much experience with the vanilla shot. But if you find yourself getting out ranged a lot, or you just need some more reach into the enemy team, bomb defense up is not a bad option here, as the vanilla shot's extent only reaches as far as the bombs go. But assuming that you like diving in, winning gunfights, and just looking cool, you expose yourself to a lot of risk. So comeback might be a good choice to run, as it adds mobility and special charge whenever you want to get back into the fight. I'm not a huge fan of runspeed myself, but it's usable on the splattershot line. Bomb defense is alright, but I think the splattershot isn't really interested in staying around for long periods of time. It's more or less dive into the opponents and see if they can stop you. If you're going to incorporate bomb defense, I'd do a sub, just to get the inkjet to 3 shot you.

Other than that, it's a viable set. And if it works for you I wouldn't change it honestly.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Finally completed my Jet Squelcher set (and it's not even a perfect set):

https://loadout.ink/en-us/#001411184210c994a31440c65

I have a bit of a fondness for Ink Recovery Up, as I like to use at least 1 Ink recovery up main for most sets. In this case for the Jet Squelchers use two Ink Recovery Ups as well as one Ink Saver main to maximize ink efficiency and for the Custom in particular I can use Burst Bombs a bit more often and still have some ink left to shoot to finish someone off.

The Swim Speed Up is just for general mobility that is useful for just about any weapon, and the Defense Up is mainly for that additional survivability against chip damage from bombs and specials.

The Thermal Ink pairs very well with the Jet Sqelcher, it pretty much acts as a second sub-weapon being a Pseudo-Point Sensor if I simply poke enemies from afar.

And for Splatfests I usually keep my Retro Specs replace my Defense Up shoes with random pair of Swim Speed Up shoes (usually these shoes so I can get more Ink Recovery Up chunks) for the mobility.

Smaug

Inkling
Looks good, the threshold of 1 main and 4 subs is important for any burst bomb weapon, very good attention to detail there.
Other than that, I'm guessing you're wanting to win more gunfights or just be a mixed mobile aggro player.

I have not too much experience with the vanilla shot. But if you find yourself getting out ranged a lot, or you just need some more reach into the enemy team, bomb defense up is not a bad option here, as the vanilla shot's extent only reaches as far as the bombs go. But assuming that you like diving in, winning gunfights, and just looking cool, you expose yourself to a lot of risk. So comeback might be a good choice to run, as it adds mobility and special charge whenever you want to get back into the fight. I'm not a huge fan of runspeed myself, but it's usable on the splattershot line. Bomb defense is alright, but I think the splattershot isn't really interested in staying around for long periods of time. It's more or less dive into the opponents and see if they can stop you. If you're going to incorporate bomb defense, I'd do a sub, just to get the inkjet to 3 shot you.

Other than that, it's a viable set. And if it works for you I wouldn't change it honestly.

I'm working on making this set now to try it out. Still has the 4 secondaries of sub saver to get the 3 burst bomb. The one secondary of bomb defense to avoid the two shot from ink jet indirect and tenta missile indirect. The remaining ink resist secondary is to prevent chargers killing me through ink armor when knocked back into enemy ink.

Splatoon 2 loadout version 2.jpg

RossoFinale

Inkling
NNID
RossoFinale
Switch Friend Code
SW-2919-1876-4477
This is a set I've found myself using more often the more I play Tower Control mostly (since it's my weakest Ranked Mode). A little petty reason I'm going for Sub Power Up instead of Quick Jump since I wanna benefit from my Beakons and whoever wants to use them are free to knowing they'll get around faster (no really, there's been matches where none of my teammates even acknowledged them)

However, I'm a little stumped on the hoodie. I dunno what other two sub abilities I should have instead of 1 Sub Special Power Up and 1 Sub Special Charge Up. Any suggestions?

upload_2017-12-29_16-15-12.png

Vertigo95

Inkster Jr.
NNID
JRex95
Switch Friend Code
SW-3028-4629-7889
Here's what I've been rocking for a while, and it's been working out just fine for me.
Splatoon 2 Loadout.png

dbops

Inkling
NNID
TheRhythmThief
Switch Friend Code
SW-2706-1471-1423
hello, i made an account just for this thread. I would like to use the carbon roller to get me to the top of ranked.
currently i am collecting chunks to complete x3 swim speed up on inkfall shirt & one last quick resawn sub on clogs.
thank you for anyone who replys.
2ASMd.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom