• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Critique My Gear

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
hello, i made an account just for this thread. I would like to use the carbon roller to get me to the top of ranked.
currently i am collecting chunks to complete x3 swim speed up on inkfall shirt & one last quick resawn sub on clogs.
thank you for anyone who replys.
View attachment 6000
Might wanna consider using special saver or special charge over the Quick Respawn. They're so much more helpful and ink storm is super helpful to push people back and let yourself in where you need to be along with providing chip damage to make the OHKO range larger for the Carbon which has a terrible OHKO range. Most people consider the Carbon to be very low tier but you can learn any weapon you want and be good at it (I'm doing pretty well with the Slosher Deco) with the time and skill. Good luck!

Drusilla

Inkling
https://loadout.ink/en-us/#00051f0842e530842d2a38c23
May I have some advise on Pro build please? Stacked quite a lot of ink saver main since ssp is pretty bad at it, threw in 2 special power up to buff the inkstorm a bit. Ink resistant main to allow me move backwards in case confronted by weapons like ttek, nzap but im having a huge problem still.
Ink recovery up seems useful so i left it there, while I have no idea what to replace the sub power up with.

I'm pretty much all stuck in Rank B- though, so I guess even with a better build it still wouldn't take me up but some advice would still be appreciated haha thanks!

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2

This is my Forge Splattershot Pro gear setup. I use two mains of SPU to apply a ton of pressure with Bubble Blower. Ink Saver Sub so I have more ink in my tank after throwing my suction bomb and Swim Speed Up for movement maneuvers. Finally 4 subs of Special Charge Up to build my Bubble Blower faster. The sub of Bomb Defense Up is mainly for Ink Armor protection from the minimum splash damage from incoming bombs.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
https://loadout.ink/en-us/#00051f0842e530842d2a38c23
May I have some advise on Pro build please? Stacked quite a lot of ink saver main since ssp is pretty bad at it, threw in 2 special power up to buff the inkstorm a bit. Ink resistant main to allow me move backwards in case confronted by weapons like ttek, nzap but im having a huge problem still.
Ink recovery up seems useful so i left it there, while I have no idea what to replace the sub power up with.

I'm pretty much all stuck in Rank B- though, so I guess even with a better build it still wouldn't take me up but some advice would still be appreciated haha thanks!
Honestly that's way too much Ink Saver Main. I personally wouldn't do more than 1 main OR 3 subs. While it is nice you have nearly twice the shots, I don't think you need that much. What you put on is up to whatever you want to go for.

In most modes, I would go for Special Charge Up. Ink Storm is really good in so many situations. Being able to do it more is always a plus. If you're defensive enough, Tenacity might be a good idea.

I don't personally use Ink Resistance with SS Pro. I got used to quickly shooting at my feet, which is pretty useful in many situations. Some Run Speed might help against some of the faster shooters if you get used to strafing. If you find it useful, then go for it.

If you like using your Point Sensors, then Sub Power Up is a great addition. It adds alot of time to your sensors. I just don't know how much, and loadout.ink doesn't seem to have data on it.

This is my Forge Splattershot Pro gear setup. I use two mains of SPU to apply a ton of pressure with Bubble Blower. Ink Saver Sub so I have more ink in my tank after throwing my suction bomb and Swim Speed Up for movement maneuvers. Finally 4 subs of Special Charge Up to build my Bubble Blower faster. The sub of Bomb Defense Up is mainly for Ink Armor protection from the minimum splash damage from incoming bombs.
Looks good to me. I have always liked bubbles. Most would want some Ink Saver Main on there, but if you can manage your tank, then you're fine as-is.

I'm personally considering a more offensive Forge SS Pro build. The Tenacity/Special Power Up headphones, and some pure Special Saver shoes. I am just not sure how well these go together. Something to test out I guess. Not a suggestion, afterall it might work horribly.

Last edited:

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Honestly that's way too much Ink Saver Main. I personally wouldn't do more than 1 main OR 3 subs. While it is nice you have nearly twice the shots, I don't think you need that much. What you put on is up to whatever you want to go for.

In most modes, I would go for Special Charge Up. Ink Storm is really good in so many situations. Being able to do it more is always a plus. If you're defensive enough, Tenacity might be a good idea.

I don't personally use Ink Resistance with SS Pro. I got used to quickly shooting at my feet, which is pretty useful in many situations. Some Run Speed might help against some of the faster shooters if you get used to strafing. If you find it useful, then go for it.

If you like using your Point Sensors, then Sub Power Up is a great addition. It adds alot of time to your sensors. I just don't know how much, and loadout.ink doesn't seem to have data on it.

Looks good to me. I have always liked bubbles. Most would want some Ink Saver Main on there, but if you can manage your tank, then you're fine as-is.

I'm personally considering a more offensive Forge SS Pro build. The Tenacity/Special Power Up headphones, and some pure Special Saver shoes. I am just not sure how well these go together. Something to test out I guess. Not a suggestion, afterall it might work horribly.
Being like 4 subs away from having 12 sub power ups (3 mains and 5 subs) I got it up to 16 seconds

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
You might wanna consider using some special charge or sub saver or bomb defense over the swim speed with ninja squid. That's just my playstyle though so if ninja squid is integral to your playstyle then maybe keep it but there are some other abilities that pair amazingly with the range blaster. This is what I used (I don't play it that often anymore) https://loadout.ink/en-us/#000022588423242108105896b
This allowed me to build special fast to push people back along with getting chip damage to help kill. Also lets me withstand bombs and specials and just straight chaos. Many times has the bomb defense saved my life allowing me to get triples and quads and stuff. The sub saver is so I can just throw bombs easier I guess if I'm running or keeping people away or just to apply pressure (what bombs do lol). I personally learned to live with the ink tank so I don't use main saver. This is me simultaneously sharing ideas while also looking for some feedback ;)

crinacle

Inkling
Ninja squid isn't really essential in my build (I swap my shirt with a pure swimspeed one half the time) but I like how it somehow improves my survivability even in the S+ ranks, though it's probably novelty for now. Thanks for the sub suggestions but my playstyle is mainly super passive/defensive so I unfortunately I won't be able to make use of bomb defense.

I've been thinking about swapping out some swimspeed for Ink Saver Sub but I don't throw bombs that often anyways. And Ink Saver Main is basically an auto-include for blasters...

Photon Jet

Inkster Jr.
I definitely could use some help on improving my gear after being dominated in the recent Splatfest.
Here's the gear I'm currently using at the moment and my choice of weapons usually are Tentatek Splattershot, Dual Squelchers, Slosher and the N-Zap 89. I know my shirt does need to change but is there anything I need to do in improve my gear? Please let me know.
https://loadout.ink/en-us/#000411534215219d091562c4b

Sorry if this looks desperate to you but I'm a bit rusty on getting some competitive gear feel defeated with all these highly-skilled Inklings. Guess I better practice and think back on what I did wrong...Oh well, it's just a fun event anyway.

Rau Le Creuset

Inkling
NNID
Rau-Ie-Creuset
Can anybody knowledgeable on the subject give me some help with options for the vanilla splattershot?
right now I'm running this exactly:
:ability_swimspeed: :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:ability_inkresistance: :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:ability_inkrecovery: :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

I feel Like I can change this up, many have told me that the run speed is rather excessive and unhelpful, so I'm thinking of changing it around a little.

:ability_swimspeed: :ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange:
:ability_inkresistance: :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
Object Shredder :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Object shredder to help me with bubbles, ballers, and burst bombing ink armour. Sub power up to help flush out players or catch them in a fleeing situation (as I understand this also increases the velocity of the sub). I think this set is much more versatile, still looking for thoughts.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I’m doing pretty good with this Hero Shot build, but I figured I might ask for some criticism anyway.

https://loadout.ink/#00033a214a56a294a53d10c63
Personally I think the swim speed is quite excessive, and the one main is only saving you 2.5% of your tank from throwing a burst bomb. I really don't see the point in running sub saver on a burst bomb weapon unless you really want to be able to throw 3 burst bombs. For that one main of sub saver you could run a single main of special charge up and take your special gauge from 200p to 183p. Depending on how much you die you might want comeback or something.

This is what I run on my hero shot That I've been doing really well with. I wanna make it so I have a triple of ink recovery on my hat and that's about it. Probably gonna make the shoes have 3 swim speeds but I'm good with what I got now.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Eyy, I've been tinkering with some new gear sets and would like some feedback!
My goal was to start with a weapon and a basic idea of what abilities I wanted on it, then pick three pieces of clothing that look good together and whose main abilities fit with the weapon. I then filled the sub slots as necessary. Feel free to rate them on appearance or theming, as well as functionality.

Splattershot Pro (Left):

:ability_inksaversub: | :ability_inksaversub::ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange:
:ability_inkresistance: | :ability_specialcharge::ability_swimspeed::ability_specialcharge:
:ability_swimspeed: | :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

I went with a 90's theme, and what says 90's more than a 100% polyester windbreaker? The ability set is based off of a recent video @ThatSrb2DUDE posted. The sub saver and sub power up (represented as range up) are to make better use of the point sensor. 1 main and 1 sub of swim speed are for general mobility and ink resistance assists due to the pro's inability to paint your feet properly. The special charge mitigates the large ink consumption, as using a special fills your tank, plus the raincloud assists in painting and pressuring people out of areas.

Forge Splattershot Pro (Right):
:ability_specialcharge: | :ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
:ability_inkresistance: | :ability_specialduration::ability_swimspeed::ability_specialduration:
:ability_unknown: | :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_specialduration:

Man I love our lack of ability images. The special duration is Special Power Up, and the ? is Object Shredder.
With this set I clearly took a military theme, and I honestly love this jacket. There wasn't any appropriate boots to go with the set so I opted for the kelp ghillie boots, which don't look half bad. Bonus points for having all three pieces of gear plus the weapon being Forge brand.
The ability suggesion once again came from the video linked above. The objective of the set is to make the best use of Bubble Blower as possible; 6x Special Power Up subs increase the bubble radius, and therefore the bubble volume. This then increases the bubbles' capacity for protection as a mobile shield, and makes it easier to chain bubble pops together. Ink resistance and Swim Speed are provided for general mobility, and Object Shredder makes it easier to maintain the bubbles at an appropriate size and to remove opposing bubbles. This set is geared towards my playstyle in Clam Blitz, however the bubble size would aid in Splat Zones for capturing the zone.

Dualie Squelchers:

:ability_tenacity: | :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:ability_bombrange: | :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:ability_swimspeed: | :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed:

The theme is just a general punk look. I wish I could say more about it but I just really like the bandana and leather jackets.
The Dualie Squelchers are remarkably well-rounded, being able to paint, push, defend, and support. They have decent mobility and efficiency to boot. I play them defensively and with support in mind, charging special and blocking opponents as necessary. Tenacity and special charge are to use Tenta Missiles as frequently as possible; being able to locate and temporarily mark people allows me to shut down people pushing towards me with greater precision. The Sub Power Up is to increase the duration of Point Sensors, Run Speed and Swim Speed are for general mobility. I'm debating whether or not I should wipe the boots and replace the subs with 3x :ability_inksaversub: to mitigate the ink cost of the Point Sensors, as I use them fairly liberally and being defensive doesn't necessitate extreme swim speed.

Custom Dualie Squelchers:

:ability_tenacity: |:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:ability_specialduration: |:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:ability_swimspeed: | :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed:

This set is largely the same as above, but with Special Power Up in place of Sub Power Up. Datamining revealed that this weapon is planned to have Splat Bombs and Ink Armour, so rather than simply increasing my bomb range I would prefer to reallocate that slot to improving Ink Armour's duration and the speed at which it deploys. The set plays largely the same, as a backline support, but with bombs to smack people around corners and the Ink Armour as remote support. As before, I'm debating replacing the boot's subs with 3x :ability_inksaversub:.

I really just wanted to make a set using the entire ghillie suit, and I feel like the same abilities fit two weapons, so here they are lumped together.

N-Zap '85:

:ability_runspeed: |:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
:ability_specialcharge: |:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_unknown: |:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_specialduration:

The N-Zap prides itself in being extremely mobile, and benefits from enhanced Run Speed. The Swim Speed is for general mobility. 6x Special Power Up subs enhance Ink Armour and allow it to activate quicker; this is particularly important for shorter range weapons that find themselves activating it at inopportune moments. Special Charge is simply to use it with greater frequency, as the weapon does paint splendidly. Lastly Object Shredder allows the N-Zap to punch out opponents' Ink Armour with one bullet, whereas without this ability it would take two. This may not seem particularly important on paper, but with the comparatively wide spread of this weapon, landing extra bullets outside of point-blank range can be a liability.

Heavy Splatling Deco:

:ability_runspeed: |:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
:ability_specialcharge: |:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_unknown: |:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_specialduration:

Run Speed Up in necessary on Splatling class weapons, as the player must expose themselves while charging shots. Because they can't frequently play a perch role, they also find themselves mucking about in the fray, so this provides some evasion. It also allows you to charge behind corners and come out of hiding quicker to launch a volley of bullets. Special Power Up is for larger bubbles, for the same rationality as with the Forge Pro above. The Special Charge Up is to aid in charging, clearly, because the weapon does not paint particularly well. Swim Speed Up is for general mobility and Object Shredder allows one to maintain their bubbles at a good size or pop them at will.

Last edited:

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Been spending alot of time lately on ink jet practice and thought i would share my loadout for feedback. Glooga duelies over sploosh for :inkmine: my launch point, so I can react if im camped.
https://loadout.ink/#01090e935ad0b6ad63285ad6b

edit:scared:nly changed ability stats and weapon fashion doesnt apply. i see you lurkin RPers.
Holy cow is that a lot of special charge up. That's way too much to be effective. The Gloogas get their special in 180, and running just one main gets you 165, which is half the reduction you get from 5 subs added to that.

If you're going with special charge, I would go for a main, or a pure maximum. Just because you shouldn't have that much if you get little in return. Also, since you have special charge up, ditch the tenacity. You don't need all that special charge, trust me.

A pure of special power up is good, it helps you hit more indirect inkjet kills. If you're looking to make your inkjets better, try out drop roller, allowing you to roll whenever you're done with inkjet.

For some perks I'd put in myself, (I don't play Gloogas), but I'd put some swim speed and main saver to help all around. If you want to spam inkjet that badly, play around with special saver to get inkjets more consistently.

BlookyLeYoshi

Inkling
NNID
BlookySpooky
Switch Friend Code
SW-1841-4108-5905
I want to use these sets for my main weapons, what do you think ?

upload_2018-2-23_14-21-8.png
upload_2018-2-23_14-15-40.png
upload_2018-2-23_14-19-5.png

Slosher: (Shirt is supposed to be the Takoroka Nylon Vintage but since loadout.ink hasn't updated for 10 years, I had to go for the closest I could get)

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I want to use these sets for my main weapons, what do you think ?

View attachment 6165View attachment 6163 View attachment 6164

Slosher: (Shirt is supposed to be the Takoroka Nylon Vintage but since loadout.ink hasn't updated for 10 years, I had to go for the closest I could get)

For Glooga, I heard 1 main 3 subs of Bomb Defense was the "perfect amount" but I've never used the ability myself. Have you calculated what all those 9 subs will let you survive against?

For Slosher, try swapping the 3 ink saver main subs for ink saver sub as that will give you an extra shot after throwing a suction bomb (6 total on full tank).

BlookyLeYoshi

Inkling
NNID
BlookySpooky
Switch Friend Code
SW-1841-4108-5905
For Glooga, I heard 1 main 3 subs of Bomb Defense was the "perfect amount" but I've never used the ability myself. Have you calculated what all those 9 subs will let you survive against?
Probs should just stay with the Inkline Parka with triple Bomb Defense. Nah 'cause the thing is when I use Glooga, I get splatted by splat bombs even if I'm far away from them and also 9 bomb defence ups decreases damage from Burst Bombs which I sorely dislike

For Slosher, try swapping the 3 ink saver main subs for ink saver sub as that will give you an extra shot after throwing a suction bomb (6 total on full tank).
I guess I could use the :head_hat001: with :ability_inksavermain: mains and 3 :ability_inksaversub: subs (Ink Saver Sub is the common ability for Firefin) as I already have the :shoes_slp000: with quad :ability_swimspeed:
Swap both ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom