• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Customizable hair

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I agree; despite what the interview said, I think we should have more customization of hairstyles. I don't get how they think it's necessary to establish the basic Inklings in a game where you're motivated to customize your appearance, especially with the wide variety of types of clothes, not to mention your colors change regularly anyways. Besides, most people now DO draw the cover Inklings a lot, so I think they're well-established now. That's my opinion on the matter.
You have to remember they are using Nintendo EAD's ideology on character design. Even f they did patch it in now it would be a lot of work for little pay off. Will people come back to Splatoon to try out new hairstyles or would they rather try a new map or new weapon or new mode. I think they will wait to the (theoretical) sequel. I am just curious if they will stick to the tentacle rule in the designs where the squids have 6 tentacles of hair and the octolings have 4 (So in total with their arms/legs it equals 10 and 8, respectively.)

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
I'd rather not cut off a limb thank you.
honestly thats what people don't understand about this all. It's. Not. Hair. you can't just cut it off, it'd be like getting arm cut.

also when people say they want pants i'm like, why would you ever want to cover up those sexy spandex shorts you get to wear, heck why am I not wearing those in real life right now?

Recettear

Full Squid
NNID
anrakutei
Honestly just straight long hair is all I care about lmao. It would be pretty neat to see though. I don't see why something cosmetic like hairstyles couldn't be excluded; the pants stuff I was seeing in my plaza a month or so ago was kinda stupid because that would mean one more slot for you to add skills and that would kinda mess up the balance.

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
Definetly not feeling the boy hairstyle at all, which is why I chose the girl. I don't expect any changes though, but would be nice in the next game.

WanderMau

Inkling
NNID
Ultim8fish
I think the boy inkling is cute honestly. I would welcome customisable hair but I don't really care too much

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
Definetly not feeling the boy hairstyle at all, which is why I chose the girl. I don't expect any changes though, but would be nice in the next game.
way to abandon your kind, just because our tentacles aren't as long and fancy. #killed

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Definitely. It is a game with heavy focus on customization, yet you can customize something as basic as the squid kid's hair.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
honestly thats what people don't understand about this all. It's. Not. Hair. you can't just cut it off, it'd be like getting arm cut.

also when people say they want pants i'm like, why would you ever want to cover up those sexy spandex shorts you get to wear, heck why am I not wearing those in real life right now?
Then just style it, not cut it. Heck, maybe the Inklings and Octolings can morph them into any shape they want. That's not really an excuse to NOT eventually add in hairstyles in the future, anyway. Also, why are you confused as to why there are people like us who want and prefer pants over shorts? It's just a non-controversial opinion, such as preferring red over blue, pizza over hot dogs, Pepsi over Coca-Cola, etc. Some of us don't want to show out legs.
You have to remember they are using Nintendo EAD's ideology on character design. Even f they did patch it in now it would be a lot of work for little pay off. Will people come back to Splatoon to try out new hairstyles or would they rather try a new map or new weapon or new mode. I think they will wait to the (theoretical) sequel. I am just curious if they will stick to the tentacle rule in the designs where the squids have 6 tentacles of hair and the octolings have 4 (So in total with their arms/legs it equals 10 and 8, respectively.)
Nintendo EAD's ideology on character design? Uhh... I don't know what you mean by "Nintendo EAD", and I'm unaware of their ideology. Can you explain?

@Recettear: How about they implement just one pair of pants that is purely cosmetic and put the option between pants or shorts in the Inkling customization screen?

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Nintendo EAD's ideology on character design? Uhh... I don't know what you mean by "Nintendo EAD", and I'm unaware of their ideology. Can you explain
Nintendo EAD is the division of Nintendo that made Splatoon. Since their job is generally to maintain the image of existing IPs, they left inkling customization at a minimum to create recognizable characters.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
No thank you. The inkling designs were meant to be singular, iconic, recognisable characters. Too many varieties would make them less memorable.

Maybe in Spla2n, but in this game the inklings need to make a name for themselves.
That was my idea for the sequel's name. XD

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Then just style it, not cut it. Heck, maybe the Inklings and Octolings can morph them into any shape they want. That's not really an excuse to NOT eventually add in hairstyles in the future, anyway. Also, why are you confused as to why there are people like us who want and prefer pants over shorts? It's just a non-controversial opinion, such as preferring red over blue, pizza over hot dogs, Pepsi over Coca-Cola, etc. Some of us don't want to show out legs.

Nintendo EAD's ideology on character design? Uhh... I don't know what you mean by "Nintendo EAD", and I'm unaware of their ideology. Can you explain?
Yeah the bands in the game have several squids with interesting takes on the tentacle hairstyles. Also some cool takes on different sea creatures.
Nintendo EAD is Nintendo of Japan who, like @redacteddd said, focus on maintain their IPs. Obviously Miyamoto as Design manager shapes their ideology of designing characters to fit the gameplay and hardware specs and not vise-versa. If you look into their Iwata asks and other interviews they talk about how the characters evolved and their choices for why they went with squids and that they almost just had female inklings, etc. Modern Nintendo has a meticulous design process- their last big character driven products/new IPs were the Miis and the Wii Sports/Play/Music/Fit and before that was Pikmin. They both have a very realized idea behind the way the characters were developed and fleshed out design wise. Olimar's antenna was supposed to help players tell which way he was moving. The Pikmin were going to be various shapes but they decided to differentiate them by color and facial features instead so they were easier to tell apart. Miis, the Kokeshi-inspired avatar characters, were an idea from the NES and the N64 DD system that finally made it in the Wii and DS/3DS families. Etc, etc. I am sure they will break the norm for the inklings now that they are becoming more recognizable and their game's identity becomes more pronounced. I bet you a hamburger that it will happen 100% in a sequel (if they ever make one) if not sooner.

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
Honestly just straight long hair is all I care about lmao. It would be pretty neat to see though. I don't see why something cosmetic like hairstyles couldn't be excluded; the pants stuff I was seeing in my plaza a month or so ago was kinda stupid because that would mean one more slot for you to add skills and that would kinda mess up the balance.
I don't think adding pants would mess up balance, since most of the perks in this game are not as powerful as ones in other shooters.

Although, they're not useless like a certain unamed thread stated...

Last edited:

Yuubi

Full Squid
Yes, yes! To more hairstyles! Though, I rather wait for that option in a sequel now... Still do not get why some people are against this option, I mean do you wish to be in a world where everyone looks exactly like you expect for two pop star idols? I get that signature inkling girl and boy needs to be shown that their the "first" "true" squids that represent splatoon to the world and not an OC taking over the world of splatoon... I think I just answered my own question... Lol.

Though I know a lot of people who would jump back into a game because of more cosmetics are available for them <--- (one of those people.)
Also I think inkling boy's hairstyle was inspired from the director of splatoon, his hairdo always remind me of inkling boy's :

Pictures are being a bit choppy so here's an interview with the director of splatoon himself with that hairstyle... It reminds me of inklingboy's hairstyle only problem there is that inkling boy has tentacles and the director doesn't. So I've put up a video link of him in an interview uploaded from NI.

That would be cool. But we need to consider what tentacle-style you could use for your inkling.

tumblr_niarg2Umxm1qh8jo8o2_1280.png
tumblr_niarg2Umxm1qh8jo8o1_1280.png
5f724f3635218cf2c4107bc0dc64a743.jpg
inkling_male_hairstyles_by_lukitan-d8wlmta.jpg
images.jpg

^ Do these hairstyles look "tentacle-style"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom