• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Customizable hair

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
We could just say we'd be styling our hair. :3 Also, I theorise Inkling hair can shift like the Inkling's whole body itself. But hey, that's just a theory... A Game Theory! Thanks for watching!

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
The other thing you're forgetting is that the inklings are not just designed to be appealing characters, they're designed to be appealing characters in a third-person shooter. In their latest Famitsu interview, the developers talked about how the game genre affected their character design, and they said things like "They don't have big heads so they look cute - they have big heads so you can see and hit them". They're also very short compared to their width (only about four heads tall) for the same reason: they are clearer targets in the fast paced battles.

The two clear, distinctive hairstyles were chosen to help the gameplay be the best it can. You see an inkling, you need to recognise it as friend or foe within a fraction of a second. Most of the designs posted on the previous page would be far too busy and incredibly distracting from the actual task at hand: winning the battle.

Sorry for going off on one, but this touched a nerve for me. I'm an animation student so I spend a lot of time thinking and learning about character design, and I think the Splatoon devs did a fine job. New hairstyles would be an awful addition.

The other thing you're forgetting is that the inklings are not just designed to be appealing characters, they're designed to be appealing characters in a third-person shooter. In their latest Famitsu interview, the developers talked about how the game genre affected their character design, and they said things like "They don't have big heads so they look cute - they have big heads so you can see and hit them". They're also very short compared to their width (only about four heads tall) for the same reason: they are clearer targets in the fast paced battles.

The two clear, distinctive hairstyles were chosen to help the gameplay be the best it can. You see an inkling, you need to recognise it as friend or foe within a fraction of a second. Most of the designs posted on the previous page would be far too busy and incredibly distracting from the actual task at hand: winning the battle.

Sorry for going off on one, but this touched a nerve for me. I'm an animation student so I spend a lot of time thinking and learning about character design, and I think the Splatoon devs did a fine job. New hairstyles would be an awful addition.
Really? That's interesting. But it makes a lot of sense.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777

Why would new hairstyles be an awful addition when we have a wide variety of hats available? By your logic, they should be distracting, too; we've got football helmets, baseball caps, snorkel masks, Ika Musume hats, samurai hats, armored helmets... But no one complains on how distracting they are. If they were distracted, they probably got used to it by now. New hairstyles would take up development time, but in terms of impacting the game, people likely wouldn't notice.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Also, hand's and feet don't count, cuz that would be disgusting and painful, and who uses hand's in hair? So really, if we were to make new tentacle styles fo rthe inklings, they'd have to stick to 6 appendage rule. Cuz hand hair is disgusting. Unless you wanna do something else with the hand's and feet...
No one even mentioned cutting their hands and feet XD
This took a dark turn.

I also think the mindset of why they originally chose rabbits after tofu for the characters because they wanted you to tell 'Which way they ere moving because of how their ears swayed" carried over to the Inklings because the two long tentacles do similar. Its amazing how much thought they put into character designs.
I am sure we will get more hair styles if this becomes a series that are equally thought out and unique.

No one even mentioned cutting their hands and feet XD
This took a dark turn.

I also think the mindset of why they originally chose rabbits after tofu for the characters because they wanted you to tell 'Which way they ere moving because of how their ears swayed" carried over to the Inklings because the two long tentacles do similar. Its amazing how much thought they put into character designs.
I am sure we will get more hair styles if this becomes a series that are equally thought out and unique.
Partly my fault. I apologize.

Yuubi

Full Squid

It's fine. I did not see your post as an attack or anything negative like. I also study for Animation and Media, but I do not see how a hairstyle will distract you in battle, I've played many games that offer customization and different hairstyles for a character & when you're on their team or they are your enemy, you are not going to sit there throughout the whole match staring at the person on how pretty/good the character at least that's for me, especially if I gotten killed by them, there looks is the last thing on my mind, in fact it would be much more easier to target them because they actually look different.

Again, I do not see how hairstyles would be an awful add on to the game. I do not think hairstyles and pants and now face cosmetics would be extremely brought up for splatoon if Callie and Marie did not stand out like they do.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
It's fine. I did not see your post as an attack or anything negative like. I also study for Animation and Media, but I do not see how a hairstyle will distract you in battle, I've played many games that offer customization and different hairstyles for a character & when you're on their team or they are your enemy, you are not going to sit there throughout the whole match staring at the person on how pretty/good the character at least that's for me, especially if I gotten killed by them, there looks is the last thing on my mind, in fact it would be much more easier to target them because they actually look different.

Again, I do not see how hairstyles would be an awful add on to the game. I do not think hairstyles and pants and now face cosmetics would be extremely brought up for splatoon if Callie and Marie did not stand out like they do.
You sure about the Squid Sisters impacting the want for more hairstyles? My want wasn't really influenced by them, and I haven't really seen anyone on Miiverse or here state that they want more hairstyles because they like how distinct the Sisters look. But yeah, new hairstyles wouldn't be distracting at all from the battle, especially since everyone's used to the wacky headgear and unique costumes already in the game and never really bothered to complain about such a thing. Splatoon may be a shooter, but it's a shooter that emphasizes allowing customization, hence the gear we have in the game now.

Yuubi

Full Squid
You sure about the Squid Sisters impacting the want for more hairstyles? My want wasn't really influenced by them, and I haven't really seen anyone on Miiverse or here state that they want more hairstyles because they like how distinct the Sisters look. But yeah, new hairstyles wouldn't be distracting at all from the battle, especially since everyone's used to the wacky headgear and unique costumes already in the game and never really bothered to complain about such a thing. Splatoon may be a shooter, but it's a shooter that emphasizes allowing customization, hence the gear we have in the game now.

It had an impact on me and a couple of my friends irl and some who are in my friendlist. One of them thought that it wasn't fair how the sisters look vastly different from the rest of the inklings, I understand that they were pop stars for the inklings so of course they had to stand out. They did give me a ray of hope that we might be able to have more customization. Sadly that went down the drain for me... :(

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
It had an impact on me and a couple of my friends irl and some who are in my friendlist. One of them thought that it wasn't fair how the sisters look vastly different from the rest of the inklings, I understand that they were pop stars for the inklings so of course they had to stand out. They did give me a ray of hope that we might be able to have more customization. Sadly that went down the drain for me... :(
Well, the interview said that customization was limited due to the characters being new and needing to be established, and that was all they said. They haven't deconfirmed more hairstyles; it's only a question of WHEN we'll get them, I'm confident of. The water's not down the drain yet; we can still grab a bucket and take it out.

MacTheWriter

Full Squid
NNID
CotePowerRangers
Something simple like a ponytail for Inkling girls and non-ponytail one for Inkling boys would be more than enough for me.

WHAT ABOUT OCTOLING HAIRSTYLES? Sorry that was completely uncalled for and I apologize deeply. But seriously, If octolings ever become playable, would they have customizable hairstyles too?

Yuubi

Full Squid
WHAT ABOUT OCTOLING HAIRSTYLES? Sorry that was completely uncalled for and I apologize deeply. But seriously, If octolings ever become playable, would they have customizable hairstyles too?
That would be nice, I mean maybe they would have customizable tents if inklings can get it.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777

Another thing I want to add to my argument against your opinion of hairstyles being an awful addition; how would people let themselves get distracted by the hairstyles in the first place? If they just wanted to look, they could see the person in the start before the match, then when the match starts, it's all business. I doubt there's a significant amount of people with stories of getting distracted by a character's customizable clothing in Splatoon leading them to losing, let alone a plethora of stories about getting distracted by custom clothing in video games with customization, shooter or not. If anything, the only thing to blame for being distracted in a video game is one's self for not focusing, not someone else's style. I understand you're in animation and thought about character design a lot, but that still sounds paranoid to think that new hairstyles will just outright make people get easily distracted, especially since we've already gotten used to crazy headgear and clothing. New hairstyles, again, would take up time in development, but there's no way they will impact how people will play the game at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom