Disney Infinity is getting Fresh too, it seems

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I want to express that this was not fan made. Check the tweet, which has since been removed, and under the title it says "Created by Disney Infinity Team". So, it's not fan made. This is blatant plagiarism, simple as that. I doubt anything will come of it, but very clear plagiarism nonetheless. So, the Disney Infinity Devs purposely put this in the game with every intention of piggy backing off of Splatoon's success. Haha, quite deplorable if you ask me.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Again, why does this matter? Rip offs happen all the time in the industry and are usually worse than the source. If something's popular, someone will rip it off. That's the world we live in. Want to know how many rip offs of Nintendo stuff there are, here's a couple on top of "Squid" Wars.

Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times ripped off Animal Crossing.
Giana Sisters started as a rip off of Super Mario Bros.
Playstation All-Stars was panned from it's very announcement for being a Smash Bros. rip-off.
Crash Tag Team Racing ripped the two characters on one kart mechanic from Mario Kart: Double Dash.
Kinect Sports and Deca Sports can be seen as Wii Sports rip-offs.
Sonic Shuffle was a terrible (I played it, it's pretty much unplayable) Mario Party rip-off.
Sony ripped off the Wii Remote for the Playstation 3 and called it the "Move".

And more on top of that! If Nintendo has made something popular, you bet someone will be in line to rip it and try to pass it as their own. It's happened for longer than I've been alive. And it won't change any time soon.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
There is a difference between "rip-offs" that are conceptually similar (and at time influenced by) and "rip-offs" that go beyond that. This is at least a parody (remember this is a sandbox game, so maybe the devs wanted to recreate Splatoon like people have with Minecraft and TF2, they still should've upfront acknowledged that they did however).

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know if it was a rip off or a parody. But still, there's a lot of anger over really nothing. That's all! :)

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
Where was the rage when Nintendo ripped off this masterpiece? You guys are all just fanboys admit it.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Where was the rage when Nintendo ripped off this masterpiece? You guys are all just fanboys admit it.
You're absolutely right, that is like a spitting image of Splatoon. Now that I think about it, Splatoon is a blatant rip off of Super Mario Sunshine. . . What is our life?!

You serious with this? I'm going to assume it's satire. Lol.

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
If you think that's bad look at all the blatant plagiarism Disney and Nintendo did on this absolute gem of a game. I'm shocked there's no lawsuits happening RIGHT NOW.

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
To be honestly the "fan made" part is pretty much what makes all the difference. Those fan made mods have absolutely no intent of earning bank from it. Also the fan made ones also make it pretty clear that they are fan made parodies.

I mean this entire things probably would've been a lot less controversial if they simply stated it was them building a Splatoon parody with their sandbox.

Unless this specifically becomes an official thing there really isn't much to sue them for since this is a sandbox game.
Ah, I see. If this is official then I can see those problems then. Whelp Disney... better not try to make pure profit off of it- then again... it's so poorly made it would be hard seeing it gaining anything. =^D
OR AT LEAST CHANGE THE NAME OF IT. THERE'S NO SQUIDS ANYWHERE!
JUST MAKE IT- PAINTING YOUR ROOM OR SOMETHING.
But I do know that the mall is apparently a fan made map... well that's what people say.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
Ah, I see. If this is official then I can see those problems then. Whelp Disney... better not try to make pure profit off of it- then again... it's so poorly made it would be hard seeing it gaining anything. =^D
But I do know that the mall is apparently a fan made map... well that's what people say.
They aren't making a profit off it. It's free.

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
Whelp, then there's not much of a problem then. uvu)
It's just a ****ty lil mode then. Still sort of leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.
ACTUALLY THE ENTIRE GAME LEAVES A NASTY TASTE DUE TO IT BE A CRAPPY SKYLANDERS.
I mean I know Amiibos is just like Skylanders as well but it's done better than... Infinity. eAe;

Anyways- that's off topic.
But for real, this mode is so empty,so un-fun, and un-fresh looking. =A=

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Ah, that explains why Disney would be able to get away with it. If they charge for it, it's a whole different kettle of fish. Since it's free, it has some degree of protection under fair use.

Still, Nintendo rarely ever takes other companies to court for copying them. I forget which Nintendo guy it was who said it (I think it was Iwata), but they said something along the lines that they're proud when another company copies their games or hardware, because it means they created a genuinely good idea.

Commander Fresh

Inkling
NNID
CommanderFresh
Food for thought, Disney would be indirectly earning money off of this through figure sales, game sales, and a longer lasting player base. Not significantly so, but all the new content adds up.

Additionally, if this mode were a homage, reference, or parody, Disney can not mention Nintendo or Splatoon. If we were to assume that Disney did not receive formal permission, the mentioning of Nintendo or Splatoon only gives Nintendo more to work with in an unlikely but possible lawsuit. Simply mentioning any of these two names, let alone announcing your mode as a reference to these, is to blatantly say that you tried to rip off Splatoon without permission. At worst, Nintendo would use that against you and somehow win the case. At best, you just gave Nintendo advertising you could have made money off of, and upon realizing this, Nintendo puts the phone down and a Splatoon advertising deal that was just about to be brought up never sees the day of light.

Or maybe Nintendo still ignores it... But that's not interesting.

Platinum Inkling

Senior Squid
I get that it's a free sandbox game.... but really Disney? You couldn't just get your own idea? Or even a name other than Squid Wars? There's no squids in it, why call it that?! I'm so disappointed in them. This doesn't really help my opinion of them, which hasn't been that great since 2013. Get your own ideas, keep your good games (do they even have good games anymore?) up and going, and stop stealing. Is it that hard?

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Welp, this thread sure got a second wind...

People at first thought the entire thing was fanmade what with it being made in a level editor, but it's actually published by the official disney infinity team. I still can't tell if this was a really botched PR-stunt towards Splatoon fans, or an attempt to rip off Splatoon as shamelessly as possible? ...idk, and to be frank i don't really care. You can't really make a lawsuit out of this.

I don't really have much to say anymore about this, though. Except maybe that i wished Nintendo would add a Squid War mode where you're forced to play as jelonzo and you can only shoot at walls

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Again, why does this matter? Rip offs happen all the time in the industry and are usually worse than the source. If something's popular, someone will rip it off. That's the world we live in. Want to know how many rip offs of Nintendo stuff there are, here's a couple on top of "Squid" Wars.

Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times ripped off Animal Crossing.
Giana Sisters started as a rip off of Super Mario Bros.
Playstation All-Stars was panned from it's very announcement for being a Smash Bros. rip-off.
Crash Tag Team Racing ripped the two characters on one kart mechanic from Mario Kart: Double Dash.
Kinect Sports and Deca Sports can be seen as Wii Sports rip-offs.
Sonic Shuffle was a terrible (I played it, it's pretty much unplayable) Mario Party rip-off.
Sony ripped off the Wii Remote for the Playstation 3 and called it the "Move".

And more on top of that! If Nintendo has made something popular, you bet someone will be in line to rip it and try to pass it as their own. It's happened for longer than I've been alive. And it won't change any time soon.
There's also this masterpiece available for iOS devices:

ORIGINAL GAME. DO NOT RIP OFF!

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
There's also this masterpiece available for iOS devices:

ORIGINAL GAME. DO NOT RIP OFF!
Now that's just shameless. There's a lot more of that iPhone Garbage on their store some ripping off the Nintendo games we love.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom