• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Do you guys think the smash community will make up a large portion of the competitive scene?

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I think that any competitive smasher who doesn't mind shooting games will see this as a fun alternative.
They'll see that there is something else that is competitive and will at least try it out.
In the beginning a majority will be smashers. But as time goes on and the game does great on Twitch, like others have said it will become its own thing and will attract a lot of new players into competitive play
my thoughts exactly, as the game continues to expand it'll sort of forge its own identity away from smash, but it will still have that overlap

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
my thoughts exactly, as the game continues to expand it'll sort of forge its own identity away from smash, but it will still have that overlap
I am wondering how the overlap will affect the community.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Yep with the boost in numbers from the smash community the future for Splatoon looks bright. They just need a good online multiplayer, and have it so that tourney's on Twitch is a thing (spectator mode would help)

Reactions: Lyn

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Yep with the boost in numbers from the smash community the future for Splatoon looks bright. They just need a good online multiplayer, and have it so that tourney's on Twitch is a thing (spectator mode would help)

I am wondering how the overlap will affect the community.
I wouldn't worry about it. People don't have to choose between the 2 game they can just play both

Lizalfos

Inkling
I feel like this game will start out as a side event as some smash tournament somewhere before it carries itself in its own tourneys. It is going to be almost entirely Smash players

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I feel like this game will start out as a side event as some smash tournament somewhere before it carries itself in its own tourneys. It is going to be almost entirely Smash players
Nah man tourneys are going to happen right from the get go. There ain't no stopping the Hype!!
edit: but yah a lot of em will be from smash

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Nah man tourneys are going to happen right from the get go. There ain't no stopping the Hype!!
Hey, we should at least have time to unlock some things before starting tournies. ^^;

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Hey, we should at least have time to unlock some things before starting tournies. ^^;
Personally Idk if there will be a need to unlock too much stuff. But yah we'll have to see. I might try and get a tourney setup in my area, but I'd have to talk to a few ppl that have experience with tourneys

Biscuit

Inkster Jr.
The Smash competitive scene is likely to take up a majority of Splatoon's fanbase, as they are mostly the same. Anyone who has a Wii U and buys Splatoon likely also has Smash Bros.
This. A lot of the early players of Splatoon will probably be Smash players. But I doubt that big names in the Wii U scene, like ZeRo or Dabuz, will ever fully switch over. They may buy the game, and perhaps play competitively a little, but they'll stick with smash. What I think we might see are some "small fries" from the Smash 4 community (specifically Smash 4, because they already own a Wii U) make the switch, especially if they have backgrounds in shooters.

This is assuming the game supports this kind of thing. I really hope it does... If not, I'm sure the community will find SOME way to compete. But it may not be optimal.

I REALLY hope players from other shooter games pick up this game. I don't expect them to do this on release, but if they see the progress the community makes and the potential the game has, they may give it a chance.

Setu

This site so far looks like 4/5 of it is smashboards people. Hopefully there will become more people coming from no competitive gaming after the game comes out. It would also be nice to get more competitive mario kart players since there is a decent size community(especially at mkboards.com) and players in clans already have lots of experience with teamwork when there are 4+ players on each team. Besides, having more people to relate to would be kinda nice for me personally lol.

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
Splatoon community will probably be made up from a majority of smashers and casual players coming from the game that are completely new to competitive games. I doubt you will see barely any people from other competitive communities outside because there are virtually no other competitive titles and other platforms all have their own popular competitive fps games.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
This. A lot of the early players of Splatoon will probably be Smash players. But I doubt that big names in the Wii U scene, like ZeRo or Dabuz, will ever fully switch over. They may buy the game, and perhaps play competitively a little, but they'll stick with smash. What I think we might see are some "small fries" from the Smash 4 community (specifically Smash 4, because they already own a Wii U) make the switch, especially if they have backgrounds in shooters.

This is assuming the game supports this kind of thing. I really hope it does... If not, I'm sure the community will find SOME way to compete. But it may not be optimal.

I REALLY hope players from other shooter games pick up this game. I don't expect them to do this on release, but if they see the progress the community makes and the potential the game has, they may give it a chance.
And the fact that it is so original and different should entice at least a glance towards the game. Which hopefully is all we need

LyonHart

Inkster Jr.
It's certainly a possibility. I've been playing Smash since the 64 days, have stuck with Melee since its release and love the hell out of Smash 4 on both 3DS and Wii U, not to mention most people in this thread seem to play Smash as well; most competitively from what I can tell.

Splatoon is extremely refreshing and beautiful to look at, and seems to be both crazy fun casually and hardcore. It'll be exciting to see what happens with the growth of Splatoon in the coming months and year following its release. The devs also said they'd like to add more content in the future too, so I definitely feel Splatoon is here to stay.

Hopefully we'll start seeing Splatoon pop up at places like APEX and other events in the future. Tall order? Maybe, but it's up to us to make sure it gets the recognition it deserves and to make the impact LOUD.

Fancy

Inkling
I play 2D fighting games competitively(like smash obviously), but honestly I suck at games that have a 3D environment, so I think I'll only be playing this game for fun.
However, there are many people who play both smash and 3rd person shooters competitively, so there will definitely be a lot of natural overlapping.
I think that the main reasons the smash scene will take up a large portion of the splatoon scene is because
A. It's a Nintendo game that seems to be played competitively
B. Splatoon showing up at Apex 2015, which brought the game to smashers eyes
C. Squidboards and smashboards practically being the same website

IrisZ

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
If you think about it, a lot of smashers will have this game. They're going to know how competitive smash works, and therefor they would want to try Splatoon competitively.

What other games on the WiiU are competitive? Mario Kart 8 possibly. I can't think of much else (feel free to throw your ideas here).

After smashers try it competitively though, they might drop it. I don't know very many smashers who are into shooters/can be competitive in both at the same time. So maybe a few smashers will drop the game? Who knows.

Everyone's gonna be playing Splatoon anyway so s'all good c:

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
Only minorly related, but I know I've heard of a lot of people from the speedrunning scene express interest in Splatoon, so there are definitely a lot of different communities that will be converging into this game.

Mithical1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mithrandir37
The problem with discussing the competitive viability of this game before it comes out is that we don't know if it has modes conductive to tournament play. Obviously, the main game types look like they play competitively but it looks like setting up local events might be difficult given the hardware required. I am skeptical but hopeful that there can be a successful local scene assuming that the online community isn't enough.

Michael!

Inkster Jr.
I've talk to a ton of smashers and they said the game can be hyped driven in competitive play via trash talk, yelling etc. They said it can be an exciting game too by the look of the current game play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom