• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Do you guys think the smash community will make up a large portion of the competitive scene?

King

Inkling
I've already seen a decent amount of players from the MK8 and MKWii communities (myself included) sign up to Squidboards. Many friends I've talked to have also expressed interest in Splatoon.

Xon Suprimes

Senior Squid
Most likely. I came here from the Smash community to see if this game would match my competitive tastes.
I mean, just look at my avatar!

Ookami Hajime

Inkster Jr.
Sort of.
I believe Splatoon's audience will initially be made up of smashers, but it will 100% be its own thing. They may end up visually seeming like sister communities, but that's all.
I come from competitive smas and I'm very, very excited to help bring up the Splatoon community

Setu

I am kinda from both the smash scene and mario kart scene, and I feel like the people from the smash scene that don't have shooter experience may be a bit behind skillwise, but I would suggest to them to start with some shooters right now. Even though there may not be that many competitive mario kart players, I believe that they will have a bit of a head start with teamwork.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I am kinda from both the smash scene and mario kart scene, and I feel like the people from the smash scene that don't have shooter experience may be a bit behind skillwise, but I would suggest to them to start with some shooters right now. Even though there may not be that many competitive mario kart players, I believe that they will have a bit of a head start with teamwork.
head start on teamwork? That's interesting, how so?

Mr.HawK

The Artist
Teamwork is essentially the biggest the key word when it come to this games competitive scene, since some smash players are more accustomed to playing 2v2 matches it is definitely gonna be interesting to make that type of transition. I myself have played the demo of splatoon at pax east and trust me when I say this, don't wander off alone, if you do then be very careful because not only is it easy for you to be spotted and taken out but you can cost your team the match possibly. Another side note is that Offense is not that crucial during certain parts of the matches, points are based on how much ink is covering the ground, emphasis on "ground" walls and everything else does not count. however in order to obtain powerful weapons during matches you will need to get some kills. Teamwork is so crucial, one of the guys i was with at the splatoon booth always had my back and vise versa, we ended up having the highest amount of kills and never lost a match (we only played 3 matches so that may be exaggerated :P )

Ookami Hajime

Inkster Jr.
I don't think playing other shooters will help transition into this game very well.
This is a whole different thing in comparison.
Though if someone has little or no experience with the camera system of shooters, that may make it a bit more difficult for someone.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I don't think playing other shooters will help transition into this game very well.
This is a whole different thing in comparison.
Though if someone has little or no experience with the camera system of shooters, that may make it a bit more difficult for someone.
but you could pick up a shooter game to learn how working together with your teammates is useful.

theblackbird

Senior Squid
NNID
ProminenceF
Personally? Kinda hope there's not TOO much cross-play between Smash and this game. I'd prefer this game to be largely its own scene.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Personally? Kinda hope there's not TOO much cross-play between Smash and this game. I'd prefer this game to be largely its own scene.
Eventually it will be but if a scene can get a large boost in numbers from the get go, its always the best thing because that means it will get more publicity and is able to gain more followers.

JBtheHunter

Inkling
NNID
JerBear92
A lot of the early players of Splatoon will probably be Smash players. But I doubt that big names in the Wii U scene, like ZeRo or Dabuz, will ever fully switch over.
I'd like to point out that Dabuz was a top player in Playstation All-Stars and Kid Icarus: Uprising's multiplayer. If he likes Splatoon and if it lasts, he'll be a big player.

ecaflip

Inkster Jr.
NNID
None
As a comp smasher myself, a couple of friends I regularly smash with told me about splatoon and I can happily say I'll probably take this onto a competitive level if the community flourishes, which I will more than be eager to foster it's growth.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I think the reason most of us are here is because we either play Smash or some other game at a competitive level and are interested in helping this game form a scene.

For a while Splatoon will totally be held up by older communities like Smash and Mario Kart, but as time goes on more and more people will end up choosing between this and their original game, and the people that choose Splatoon will make up the community. Of course, there will be people who get into Splatoon first, but that will take effort on the older member's part to bring them in.
As it is now, Splatoon is a melting pot of players from all walks of video games, its really amazing how many kinds of people have been drawn in, I can't wait to see this community grow into something standalone and totally unique with its own culture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom