• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Do you guys think the smash community will make up a large portion of the competitive scene?

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
I doubt there will be much cross contamination, for lack of a better word, between a speed running community and a competitive community though.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I doubt there will be much cross contamination, for lack of a better word, between a speed running community and a competitive community though.
i dunno, splatoon appeals to a broad audience in the right way. it's entirely unique in both its presentation and mechanics, and a game being good for competition and being good for speedruns aren't mutually exclusive things. i'm pretty glad there's a lot of communities looking into playing splatoon

Mithical1

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mithrandir37
But will we need 8 consoles for 4v4? And can't you only have 1 gamepad per console?

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
But will we need 8 consoles for 4v4? And can't you only have 1 gamepad per console?
yeah, but thats really not a big deal if we have LAN. LAN tournaments for tons of games, such as counter strike, have a bring-your-own rule, so for high profile tournaments we'll probably see most wii us and gamepads supplied by the players, and tvs and whatnor supplied by the TOs and sponsors

Biscuit

Inkster Jr.
yeah, but thats really not a big deal if we have LAN. LAN tournaments for tons of games, such as counter strike, have a bring-your-own rule, so for high profile tournaments we'll probably see most wii us and gamepads supplied by the players, and tvs and whatnor supplied by the TOs and sponsors
Even so, that will make local tournaments even harder to do than Smash. Imagine EVERY player needing to bring a console instead of just a fraction of them. Then, you need enough space for 8 TVs for just one setup. Then there is the issue of swapping out Wii Us between matches... it's kind of a logistic nightmare. And this is all assuming LAN will be supported!

On the flipside, tournaments will be MUCH easier to run over the internet.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Even so, that will make local tournaments even harder to do than Smash. Imagine EVERY player needing to bring a console instead of just a fraction of them. Then, you need enough space for 8 TVs for just one setup. Then there is the issue of swapping out Wii Us between matches... it's kind of a logistic nightmare. And this is all assuming LAN will be supported!

On the flipside, tournaments will be MUCH easier to run over the internet.
acutally, fighting games are sort of an outlier in esports in that they're really easy to set up for a physical venue. splatoon is comparatively easy compared to something like a counter strike or dota LAN, considering wii u's are substantially cheaper than a gaming PC assuming it's not using bring-your-own rules

Biscuit

Inkster Jr.
acutally, fighting games are sort of an outlier in esports in that they're really easy to set up for a physical venue. splatoon is comparatively easy compared to something like a counter strike or dota LAN, considering wii u's are substantially cheaper than a gaming PC assuming it's not using bring-your-own rules
I guess you're right. But it still makes stuff like finding a big enough venue difficult. I hope the community can overcome this. Especially since, let's face it, the community will not be that large (at least to start). Wii U is not exactly a big seller, plus not every Wii U owner will buy Splatoon, and not every Splatoon owner will be interested in competitive play.

I hate to sound pessimistic. I just want to be realistic here.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I guess you're right. But it still makes stuff like finding a big enough venue difficult. I hope the community can overcome this. Especially since, let's face it, the community will not be that large (at least to start). Wii U is not exactly a big seller, plus not every Wii U owner will buy Splatoon, and not every Splatoon owner will be interested in competitive play.

I hate to sound pessimistic. I just want to be realistic here.
no i agree, splatoon is going to be a pretty tightly woven community that's obviously going to be focused on online play. offline tournaments will also run into complications like not being able to access the perks in the game unless you brought your own wii u with your save data, in which case, what if it gives you an unfair advantage?

i think LANs are going to be saved for big events and most of the competitive scene just leaves it to online play

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
jeez man, let's hope Nintendo thought this through.
its supposed to be a game that 8 players are almost always playing, let's say I wanted to play with 7 other friends together in my house. Nintendo couldn't have believed I would need 8 consoles, and 8 TVs to make this work.
C'mon Nintendo show me my faith isn't mal-placed

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
Well I'm sure the multiplayer for the game wasn't meant to be fully accessible locally like that, meant to be primarily used in online play. I know Nintendo has in the past (not to say that this is necessarily the case any longer) expressed that they don't care for their games to have competitive scenes, so I'm sure they didn't think too much of it in that regard. But you are right, that will make playing locally in a casual sense nigh on impossible unless you're just doing 1v1's.

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
The problem with discussing the competitive viability of this game before it comes out is that we don't know if it has modes conductive to tournament play
The main game definitely looks conducive to competitive play, its extremely similar to gamemodes used in both Halo and CoD. Honestly the game can definitely be competitive as long there are a few basic required features which are by no means guaranteed given who the publisher is and the stance on competitive play that they have historically always had.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
The main game definitely looks conducive to competitive play, its extremely similar to gamemodes used in both Halo and CoD. Honestly the game can definitely be competitive as long there are a few basic required features which are by no means guaranteed given who the publisher is and the stance on competitive play that they have historically always had.
my thoughts exactly... splatoon looks really creative, unique, and highly competitive, and has already built a community who wants to play it in the long term before its even released! lets hope nintendo capitalizes on it and gives us the features we really need, like a public LAN mode and private rooms with customizeable rules, so it can truly thrive. i have my expectations kinda low, coming from smash and even tf2 (valve is far from a supportive dev when it comes to that game,) but that doesn't mean i don't want the best from nintendo

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
I can't imagine TVs being used over BenQ or similar monitors

Imagine EVERY player needing to bring a console instead of just a fraction of them. Then, you need enough space for 8 TVs for just one setup.
While you will need a considerable amount of players to bring their console and possibly monitor as well you ont need EVERY single player too, more like 1/4,1/3,1/2 of players depending on the amount of teams attending.

its supposed to be a game that 8 players are almost always playing, let's say I wanted to play with 7 other friends together in my house. Nintendo couldn't have believed I would need 8 consoles, and 8 TVs to make this work.
I think their intention for local multiplayer to be primarily in their 1v1 mode where you can just pass around the controller similar to other games.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I can't imagine TVs being used over BenQ or similar monitors
oh you know what i mean :oops:

I think their intention for local multiplayer to be primarily in their 1v1 mode where you can just pass around the controller similar to other games.
yeah, unfortunately i expect this is the case. the only reason i expect for LAN to be in the game is that nintendo has stated the game is using a LAN mode when asked at venues like E3 and PAX, and that it's being features on the gametruck, which has other local party games on it (and that's assuming it's not just going to exclusively play battle dojo.)

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I hope not, the appeal is supposed to be playing with a bunch of people. Then to be limited to 1v1 with my actual friends?

Biscuit

Inkster Jr.
Well, let's be fair here. It's harder to do split-screen on a shooter than on most other kinds of games. Not only does it take more work for the machine, but also players prefer to have an entire screen to themselves. Can you imagine one TV being split into 8-player split-screen? Anything more than 2-player split-screen for shooters is cutting it a little close, though 4-player is certainly doable. But it appears they're not doing any kind of split-screen, so that's that.

no i agree, splatoon is going to be a pretty tightly woven community that's obviously going to be focused on online play. offline tournaments will also run into complications like not being able to access the perks in the game unless you brought your own wii u with your save data, in which case, what if it gives you an unfair advantage?

i think LANs are going to be saved for big events and most of the competitive scene just leaves it to online play
Will the stat bonuses of clothes even be active in ranked play? I just kind of assumed ranked play would always be vanilla in that regard.

While you will need a considerable amount of players to bring their console and possibly monitor as well you ont need EVERY single player too, more like 1/4,1/3,1/2 of players depending on the amount of teams attending.
Well, with a console comes custom options, loadouts, and other preferences. I think most people might prefer to bring their own console. Besides, if they're swapping out consoles a lot, I imagine they'd end up just using the same power cords/HDMI cables all the time, and they'd just unplug a console and plug in the new one. That would certainly save a lot of time.

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
A large portion of Smashers are also interested in Splatoon, so I wouldn't be surprised if a large portion of Squidboard members are coming right from Smashboards.

Biscuit

Inkster Jr.
A large portion of Smashers are also interested in Splatoon, so I wouldn't be surprised if a large portion of Squidboard members are coming right from Smashboards.
Well, considering it was advertised on Smashboards and created by some Smashboards people, I'd imagine Squidboards, as of now, is mostly known only by people from Smashboards.

NNID DubaloSeven

Inkster Jr.
There already is, it's crazy how many Smash players I run into online whenever Splatoon comes up. Also several high profile Smash figures expressed interest in Splatoon competitively very early on. Now we have SquidBoards which is both modeled after and a sister site of SmashBoards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom