• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

EarthBound / Mother Series Social Thread - Octopus Erasers Are The Best Inkling Weapons

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
I'm actually streaming EarthBound Beginnings along with Grandia II for this July. (although I am taking a break for AX this week!)

As for the localization for Mother 3, it's a matter of time. Add all the pieces together, Earthbound rereleased, Lucas came back, Mother 1 (a game literally out of left field that no one knew they wanted or thought would come over), and the way Reggie always talks about the series. It really seems to me that Nintendo is just trying to play their cards right. Hell, they may even be advocating for the fan translation or make a collection of sorts. Like honestly playing Earthbound Beginnings I can safely say the game would not have selled to a NA audience, not the way Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy did. Heck, when I look at it now I think it was one of the more wise decisions to simply hold onto the rom. Which honestly I think is the reason why we even got this game. It's pmuch like the North America ROM that was leaked, if not exact, and Nintendo probably released it knowing full well they didn't have any legal issues to sort out. With Mother 3 there is so much legality to it that Nintendo probably just decided to see if Earthbound Beginnings would sell enough to make the cost for Mother 3.

Like either way they totally did, and for the most part I'm happy as someone that advocates (but not really apart of) the Mother Fandom. The Wii U era has seen the best parts for Earthbound fans, and I'm really glad everything is working out. Plus considering Nintendo wants to be more RPG focused now....maybe another Mother game? Eh? EH? Too positive?

Ness

Full Squid
NNID
Awkw4rdAss4ssin
I'm actually streaming EarthBound Beginnings along with Grandia II for this July. (although I am taking a break for AX this week!)

As for the localization for Mother 3, it's a matter of time. Add all the pieces together, Earthbound rereleased, Lucas came back, Mother 1 (a game literally out of left field that no one knew they wanted or thought would come over), and the way Reggie always talks about the series. It really seems to me that Nintendo is just trying to play their cards right. Hell, they may even be advocating for the fan translation or make a collection of sorts. Like honestly playing Earthbound Beginnings I can safely say the game would not have selled to a NA audience, not the way Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy did. Heck, when I look at it now I think it was one of the more wise decisions to simply hold onto the rom. Which honestly I think is the reason why we even got this game. It's pmuch like the North America ROM that was leaked, if not exact, and Nintendo probably released it knowing full well they didn't have any legal issues to sort out. With Mother 3 there is so much legality to it that Nintendo probably just decided to see if Earthbound Beginnings would sell enough to make the cost for Mother 3.

Like either way they totally did, and for the most part I'm happy as someone that advocates (but not really apart of) the Mother Fandom. The Wii U era has seen the best parts for Earthbound fans, and I'm really glad everything is working out. Plus considering Nintendo wants to be more RPG focused now....maybe another Mother game? Eh? EH? Too positive?
I think a big factor into Mother 3's possible localization is the fact that Reggie is talking about Mother 3. The few times before Beginnings's release when Reggie talked about Mother 3, he usually said something like "It's not ready yet" or "We're still gauging the interest for the game." Now, Reggie talks about Mother 3 like it's a game that could actually happen.
Also, it makes way more sense to release Mother 1 before releasing Mother 3. 3 is the BIG game, and while Mother 1 was still heavily requested by Mother fans, it doesn't pack quite the punch that Mother 3 has (although it's still an amazing game that you should all buy off the eShop). Releasing Mother 1 after Mother 3 would make the game seem way worse in comparison, and the impact would be held back because we would know that it was coming.
As for legality issues, I don't really see issues with Mother 3 if it's rated Teen. To my knowledge, M3 doesn't suffer from any potential copyright issues like EarthBound's New Age Retro Hippie music. Other potential issues like the Magypsies and the peeing Porky statues really aren't that bad, so it just becomes an issue of paying a team to localize the game. There's also the fan translation that the leader, Tom Ato, has offered to Nintendo for free repeatedly, but Nintendo wouldn't use a fan translation.
I think it really is just a matter of time, and all we can do now is do what the fanbase has always done; Keep on fighting for Mother 3!

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
I feel like I should say here... RIP Iwata.

Among his list of accomplishments and contributions to games, Earthbound literally wouldn't have happened had he not brought it back from the brink, rewriting huge parts of the code and basically using programming wizardry.
He was the Co-Producer, Program Director and a programmer of Eartbound.
I'm glad this game was part of his legacy.

...He will be missed.

Ness

Full Squid
NNID
Awkw4rdAss4ssin
He had to practically rewrite EarthBound's programming from the ground up. He stuck with the project instead of abandoning it (which could have been very easy to do), and played a role in helping the rerelease of EarthBound on the Wii U. Without EarthBound, we wouldn't have Mother 3 either. And his role in programming Smash Bros for the 64 and debugging Melee helped spread awareness of the Mother series. We owe so much to this man, regardless of whether we know him personally or not.

I also want to say, going on Splatoon right now, you can see so many Goodbye Iwata Miiverse posts in Inkopolis. Beautiful.
R.I.P. Satoru Iwata, 1959 - 2015

Kipst3r

Inkling
NNID
Kipst3r
Mother 3 - likely

A new Mother game - very unlikely
More like completely not happening at all. Itoi said he was done with the series. The only new Mother games we're getting are fan games.

Also, damn, seeing these last posts makes me sad. The day he passed I actually couldn't sleep. I was shivering pretty bad and I got a fever, just for that night.

But hey, let's keep things bright, now that we've had time to mourn.

I was gonna share a kind of far-fetched theory (but lets be honest, all Mother theories pretty much are) about Mother 3. I was thinking that, next year, on April 20th, it'd be Mother 3's 10th anniversary, so maybe they'll release it then? It would add a lot of sweet hype to E3, it would give EBB some time to make sales (even though releasing it now would not hurt sales), and it would give any translators time to work on it, since they're not gonna use Mato's translation; Again, it's kind of a stretch, but hey, it's something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom