Votes: 32 32.0%

• Total voters

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
And they couldn't do a multi-regional Splatfest for Pokémon, but they can for this? What the hell, Nintendo?

Well Japan technically had Green instead. Would be cool to have all regions participate on the same themes together now that we know this is a possibility.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Well Japan technically had Green instead. Would be cool to have all regions participate on the same themes together now that we know this is a possibility.
It would be cool. The question is does Japan do Splatfests they can't eat? :) Not sure how a miso splatfest will go down in EU, and I suspect a burrito splatfest wouldn't go down so well in Osaka :)

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
It would be cool. The question is does Japan do Splatfests they can't eat? :) Not sure how a miso splatfest will go down in EU, and I suspect a burrito splatfest wouldn't go down so well in Osaka :)
I sort of hope to not share Splatfests all the time. I sort of like seeing the different demographics in different regions and how they play out. Such as the Cats vs. Dogs Popularity splits in NA vs EU regions. I also do like the different themes used in each region.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
They seem to really be running out of ideas for splatfest. I dunno what to think of this as I don't even like spongebob, nor any of the characters. Man if it wasn't for me needing more snails I'd bail...

Award

They seem to really be running out of ideas for splatfest. I dunno what to think of this as I don't even like spongebob, nor any of the characters. Man if it wasn't for me needing more snails I'd bail...
I don't think they've so much run out of ideas, so much as they're looking to monetize everything they have for everything it's worth. That seems to be the Kimishima strategy for everything. Merchandise! Lunch boxes! Toothbrushes! Theme parsk! Lets find more corporate tie-ins for splatfest so some other compay pays US for advertising exposure!

It's a little Disney-esque, unfortunately. Though lets be honest, Yamauchi would have done it in the 80's if he could :)

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
I don't think they've so much run out of ideas, so much as they're looking to monetize everything they have for everything it's worth. That seems to be the Kimishima strategy for everything. Merchandise! Lunch boxes! Toothbrushes! Theme parsk! Lets find more corporate tie-ins for splatfest so some other compay pays US for advertising exposure!

It's a little Disney-esque, unfortunately. Though lets be honest, Yamauchi would have done it in the 80's if he could :)
Yeah I suppose you're right. But let's be honest, SpongeBob out of all things? That series has been going on far too long and most people/kids who grew up with it, most of them grew out of it as well. This show has had plenty of merchandise and advertisement in the years it's been out, which is close to 17 years I believe. I don't think it needs anymore exposure than it already has.

But oh well...leave it up to me to make something trivial out to be something big. :oops:

Carry on my dear squids.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Do you have a source? At least the US Tumblr doesn't mention it.
I got it from the Nintendo Life article.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._is_the_theme_for_the_next_splatoon_splatfest

It's taking place from 23rd April (at 6am Pacific / 9am Eastern / 2pm UK / 3pm CET) until 24th April (at noon Pacific / 3pm Eastern / 8pm UK / 9pm CET). It's the first time that North American and European players will be fighting it out together in a Splatfest, too.
Maybe the source they got it from is from one of Nintendo of Europe's sources. I'm at work so it is hard for me to source check myself.

R2D221

Senior Squid
NNID
R2D221
most people/kids who grew up with it, most of them grew out of it as well
Maybe, but remember that the target demographic for this game is kids, the same kids that watch SpongeBob these days.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Maybe, but remember that the target demographic for this game is kids, the same kids that watch SpongeBob these days.
Yeah I know. I was going to add in the post, "But then again, the show is in continuation for the younger audience, some of which play Splatoon, so this is right up their alley". I had lost my train of thought. Probably why I added that small bit in the end.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
i mean ok yeah its an odd theme but i hope the stages are good like really good stages
Ohhh, that totally slipped my mind! Good point; it can still be an enjoyable Splatfest even if the theme doesn't appeal to me.

Thinking about it, I'd expect Spongebob to be the natural choice for younger players, so I'm most probably gonna go for Patrick in hopes of victory.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Got no probs with Bob so it doesn't bother me other than the ink's color tone. Mustard vs Pepto-Bismol!

Anyone plan to change their name or use gear fitting for this splatfest's theme?

flamestar6

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kris4490
ill probably chose patrick cuz well he doesnt have much of brain
and i think thats funny

Award

Will we ever get a Splatfest where Pepto is NOT one of the colors? Every single feset it's some shade of pink.

Technically Spongebob is a FITTING splatfest for the same reasons Squid Girl has a tie-in. It's anotther popular animated franchise that features sea life that walks and talks. So in terms of "fits the Splatoon theme" the seasponge "who lives in a pineapple under the sea" and his starfish sidekick fit as well as Spyke, Sheldon and Jelonzo. Annoying as Spongebob may be :)

Ahh, yes the maps. Turf-War, only on the same three maps for THIRTY HOURS! Are you pumped? I sure am! :rolleyes: (Srsly though I love the 30 hour thing so I don't have to miss most of it like I did last time!)

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Welp, this is the first Splatfest theme that I hate! Both Spongebob and Patrick can go die in a fire, that show has long been dead to me. I'll probably just pick Marie since she's definitely going to be the least popular team. It is cool that this'll be the first multi-regional Splatfest though!

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
In retrospect... This was actually a really good business move on Nintendo's part. It doesn't matter if someone likes Spongebob or not. The fact still remains that Spongebob is a very popular series - if not Nickelodeon's most popular series. It's continued longer than any other show on Nickelodeon and continues to be popular. Viacom is also a big company that is allowing Nintendo to use their property for an event. You have to remember that these kind of sponsored events don't come free - for Nintendo or Viacom. Nintendo can't just use Viacom's property without permission from them or striking a deal. I heard that Mario and Luigi made an appearance at the Kids Choice Awards. So this could also very well be Nintendo just fulfilling their part of the deal as well.

It says a lot about Splatoon's popularity in Western countries. Viacom didn't have to let Nintendo use their property and yet the did. The fact Viacom was willing to allow Nintendo to use their property for Splatoon says good things about how well Splatoon is actually doing in NA and EU. After all... The last sponsored Splatfest that NA got was the Transformers Splatfest whereas Japan gets sponsored Splatfests all the time - including their current one. There's at least that to be happy about. It means Splatoon is going strong in Western countries. :)

On that note.... I don't like yellow so.... Team Idiot it is....erm....Team Pink Idiot it is. \owo/ Not the biggest fan of Spongebob anymore but I need snails so I won't complain. :P

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Will we ever get a Splatfest where Pepto is NOT one of the colors? Every single feset it's some shade of pink.
I'm pretty sure thou knowest why. Multiple times a team has been represented by the color red, but we can't have the poor Inklings burst into what looks like a bloody mess, right? So pink ink it must be.

To which I still call bullsquid, what with squid blood being blue in real life, but the ESRB probably wouldn't bother listening to me try to explain why red ink would totally not look like blood. And I'd agree with them on that; it's more of an eccentric personal quirk of mine, that I know the difference when most people playing the game wouldn't. Goddamn sheeple

Besides, I think it's a lovely shade of pink, at least when it's used for the Inklings' tentacles/hair.

Babycowland

Semi-Pro Squid
The worst possible Splafest theme thread is over here.

In retrospect... This was actually a really good business move on Nintendo's part. It doesn't matter if someone likes Spongebob or not. The fact still remains that Spongebob is a very popular series - if not Nickelodeon's most popular series. It's continued longer than any other show on Nickelodeon and continues to be popular. Viacom is also a big company that is allowing Nintendo to use their property for an event. You have to remember that these kind of sponsored events don't come free - for Nintendo or Viacom. Nintendo can't just use Viacom's property without permission from them or striking a deal. I heard that Mario and Luigi made an appearance at the Kids Choice Awards. So this could also very well be Nintendo just fulfilling their part of the deal as well.

It says a lot about Splatoon's popularity in Western countries. Viacom didn't have to let Nintendo use their property and yet the did. The fact Viacom was willing to allow Nintendo to use their property for Splatoon says good things about how well Splatoon is actually doing in NA and EU. After all... The last sponsored Splatfest that NA got was the Transformers Splatfest whereas Japan gets sponsored Splatfests all the time - including their current one. There's at least that to be happy about. It means Splatoon is going strong in Western countries. :)
That's a good point. I also think that it means that Nintendo is paying attention to what people on Miiverse are saying. Whether you like Spongebob meme posts or not, I think it's hard to deny that they're pretty common over there. I can't really begrudge Nintendo too much for putting in the effort to give the people what they want, haha.

They're really laying it on the sponsored themes these days, though Japan's is till the better one. (Food is always the better one...even if it's nasty suspicious convenience store/gas station food.)

Still Spongebob? Eugh. I know nothing about it apart from internet memes and that it's something kids are supposed to be into, but seeing the merchandising in stores I always thought it seemed kind of cringy. Coin toss based on whether callie or marie has the better jokes in the intro I guess...
I'm not really sure how I'm going to pick sides in this Splatfest either. I didn't really watch Spongebob growing up so I also don't really know a ton about it besides the memes. I may just pick Spongebob because I like yellow.

I doubt it's going to matter much anyway, since I'll probably spend most of the Splatfest getting stomped like I did in the first Splatfest under the new rules.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom