Explo mains, how are you feeling right now?

Necrowmancy

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
She/they
Devastated, baller reference kit with crab would have been so good,, instead the ink hungry weapon now has wall (not that good to defend yourself when rushed) and splashdown (completely useless unless youre being attacked actively and the enemy isnt able to hit you somehow)

Sorcerer

Senior Squid
NNID
JiveSoulBro
putting yourself that far up runs other risks. even with the wall. again, it just isnt your job.
Particularly with weapons that have high ink output (splatlings, for instance), it is best to engage with a Splash Wall than.... well, there's nothing else to do, right? EDIT: in the context of Splat Zones

Tereox

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
they/them
Aw man, I was really hoping for a bomb to use when I get rushed :(

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Particularly with weapons that have high ink output (splatlings, for instance), it is best to engage with a Splash Wall than.... well, there's nothing else to do, right? EDIT: in the context of Splat Zones
There are three other players on the opposing team for you to deal with, and you have three teammates you can support with crossfire. Play your role and do what your weapon is good at, don't put yourself way out of position just to fight a matchup you are still heavily disadvantaged in. The wall is not a good excuse to go for 1v1s on a weapon that doesn't really like 1v1s at all.

Sorcerer

Senior Squid
NNID
JiveSoulBro
Never assume you'll have teammates on your side. In a vacuum, you want to deal with the common problem of opponents with high ink volume firing at the zones. At the very least, draw a wall. You can't afford to do any less and risk losing control.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
If your teammates are down, then you definitely shouldn't be taking any fights as an Explo. All you're going to do is stagger and make it worse.

Sorcerer

Senior Squid
NNID
JiveSoulBro
I'm not saying pick a fight as much as I'm saying to put up a wall to defend the objective. I'm hearing no solutions from you. Mind you, I'm only comparing resources between kits, from the perspective of an Explosher fan.

WhatTheDevin

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/They
Switch Friend Code
SW-5595-9385-4596
Never assume you'll have teammates on your side. In a vacuum, you want to deal with the common problem of opponents with high ink volume firing at the zones. At the very least, draw a wall. You can't afford to do any less and risk losing control.
Explosher is designed for a team-oriented playstyle. If you don't think you can trust your teammates, you need to pick a different weapon. And are you suggesting you put a splash wall between the zone and the enemy base? I can't think of a single spot in a single map where you can do that and the enemy can't swim around it and splat the explo faster than explo can fire a second shot.

I'm not saying pick a fight as much as I'm saying to put up a wall to defend the objective. I'm hearing no solutions from you. Mind you, I'm only comparing resources between kits, from the perspective of an Explosher fan.
You're not listening to what anyone is saying. You've already said that you don't main explo, and now you're ignoring the people that do who are trying to explain how the weapon works. A splash wall is not going to "defend the zone" and an explosher shouldn't even be far forward enough to consider that a possibility in the first place, doesn't matter what kind of kit it has.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I'm hearing no solutions from you.
Solution 1: Play vExplo
Solution 2: Play a different weapon

I am dead serious when I say that this kit has zero synergy and zero reason to play it over other options. It really is that bad.

I get that you wanna try and find a use case for every single kit in the game, but you need to recognize this game is not balanced enough for that to always be possible. Nintendo has released dud kits before, and they've done it again.

I play Explo, I know it well enough to know why this won't work for it. Explo cannot be played the way you're suggesting it should, it cannot be aggressive, it cannot challenge other backlines, it cannot go for 1v1s, it cannot make a last stand while teammates are down. All of that is just suicidal. Please stop trying to teach me my own weapon.

Last edited:

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
Not an Explo main but I'm personally super disappointed
It took forever for Explo to get a 2nd kit and since it's a backline I thought it would be very obvious to the devs for what it would want
but I guess the need to add late post update specials to as many weapon classes matters more than having good and fun kits
This just makes me even more worried for next season and what weapons they'll decide to give Screen and Triple Splashdown

Shayreep

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1285-8726-3991
I play explo pretty often and yeah you simply cannot be aggro with it. Its slow fire and huge ink consumption means you will get punished for being even a little out of your positioning. A splashdown means a smart opponent will simply walk out of range of your special... and then youre in the middle of the battlefield with this awkward heavy bucket that takes 50 years to slosh lol. Using wall to attack a charger means you have to get way closer to them then is really safe for you. A splatling will just shred the wall. IDK maybe a top 10 player could make an aggro explosher work against casuals, but yeah.

Sorcerer

Senior Squid
NNID
JiveSoulBro
Explosher is designed for a team-oriented playstyle. If you don't think you can trust your teammates, you need to pick a different weapon. And are you suggesting you put a splash wall between the zone and the enemy base? I can't think of a single spot in a single map where you can do that and the enemy can't swim around it and splat the explo faster than explo can fire a second shot.
I'm saying drop the perch and drop a wall ahead, as far ahead as you dare, or on the zones themselves if you daren't, to stop the rival long range high volume ink output player from taking the zones away. It's really not that complicated. If the rival starts moving and tries to flank you, then they're not firing from afar converting zones.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
You think putting a wall down is all it takes to stop a push?

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I already explained before that Point Sensors, while generally undertuned, have a strong synergy with the main weapon's playstyle. Splash Wall is an outright antisynergy. Other weapons might consider it better, but Explo does not.

Sorcerer

Senior Squid
NNID
JiveSoulBro
But it doesn't do anything for the express purpose of helping the Splat Zones scenario.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
The scenario you're attempting to contrive isn't helpful either. Not only is a Wall not enough to stop a push, it's not even going to meaningfully slow them down. Not without a weapon that has the firepower to stand its ground with the Wall.

Take a step back here and consider that if this is the best possible use case you can attempt to think of... that's just not good enough. Consider the opportunity cost of actually useful synergies you are giving up in exchange for something genuinely useless. Consider what actual good kits are capable of doing in this game.

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728
But it doesn't do anything for the express purpose of helping the Splat Zones scenario.
I'm pretty sure your entire "kits for modes" thing has already been completely debunked, right? How'd your 52 Gal Deco prediction go? A splash wall is not stopping people from entering the zone, and placing one costs so much that it reduces your ability to output paint on the zone. The point that explo needs to push to with a wall to fight an enemy backliner is wayy farther than it wants to be and means you're giving up positional advantage and risking death. You're also not outputting zone paint. In a neutral scenario, which is when you'd want someone dealing with an enemy backliner most the time, you are supposed to be in a safe position. If you're up with wall you risk going down and losing neutral. You also are not giving your teammates paint control to make advantages with. Also, rain would be more helpful for breaking the line and more helpful for dealing with the enemy backliner. You are making fundamental misunderstandings with the role of the weapon and what it wants.

X-plosher

Inkling
I'm convinced half of the new kits were made by throwing darts at the wall while blindfolded, and Explo is one of the unfortunate few to be in that group.

As many others have said, Splash Wall is way too ink hungry to be of any use with Explo. You're left with three shots without any ink saver! Three! If you decide to use the wall to push, at least one of those shots should be saved as an escape option. Great, a sub that lets you push up with a near empty ink tank.

But wait, here's Triple Splashdown to save the day! Drop a wall, move up behind it, then you can pop the special! You know, the special that has big wind-up, no protection, and puts you in a predictable high spot that your Splash Wall doesn't cover? Yeah, that one.

There was so much potential for good Explo kits, but alas, we're stuck with this mystery of a kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom