Explo mains, how are you feeling right now?

cipsbsndj

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/they
Switch Friend Code
SW-0937-9859-6660
The new Explosher kit is most likely getting Splash Wall and Triple Splashdown, and I have to ask, what are your opinions on this interesting sub/special combo?

Sorcerer

Senior Squid
NNID
JiveSoulBro
I'm no main, but I can already see why the new kit was developed that way. For Splat Zones, with walls to pressure backline with an otherwise slow dps weapon, and Splashdown, to protect yourself when there's no high ground to paint a zone. For Rainmaker, walls for absolute area interdiction when taking a novel position that could otherwise leave you exposed, and Splashdown as a can opener or just supplemental protection when taking a novel position

WhatTheDevin

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/They
Switch Friend Code
SW-5595-9385-4596
I'm no main, but I can already see why the new kit was developed that way. For Splat Zones, with walls to pressure backline with an otherwise slow dps weapon, and Splashdown, to protect yourself when there's no high ground to paint a zone. For Rainmaker, walls for absolute area interdiction when taking a novel position that could otherwise leave you exposed, and Splashdown as a can opener or just supplemental protection when taking a novel position
Splashdown doesn't really protect the user, like at all. In fact its biggest weakness is that it has a long startup that leaves you completely vulnerable and you don't even have armor like with Booyah.

Sorcerer

Senior Squid
NNID
JiveSoulBro
Splashdown doesn't really protect the user, like at all. In fact its biggest weakness is that it has a long startup that leaves you completely vulnerable and you don't even have armor like with Booyah.
Still beats anything else an Explosher has for personal protection. Splashdown cancels are still a thing, but Triple cancels are rare

WhatTheDevin

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/They
Switch Friend Code
SW-5595-9385-4596
Still beats anything else an Explosher has for personal protection. Splashdown cancels are still a thing, but Triple cancels are rare
I think the point that I'm trying to make is that while they could very well have had that mindset when giving it splashdown, in practice it's not gonna work out very well. On another note, thinking about the theory you presented in another thread, do you believe that vanilla explosher is strongest in tower control and clam blitz? because in my experience, splat zones is its single strongest mode by far.

Sorcerer

Senior Squid
NNID
JiveSoulBro
I think the point that I'm trying to make is that while they could very well have had that mindset when giving it splashdown, in practice it's not gonna work out very well. On another note, thinking about the theory you presented in another thread, do you believe that vanilla explosher is strongest in tower control and clam blitz? because in my experience, splat zones is its single strongest mode by far.
What does the current kit offer the Explosher main to Splat Zones? As long as the Explosher is the single biggest zone painter on the field, what does it need Point Sensor for enemy highlighting? We know they all out to get you, so what you need is some manner of self protection. Do you need Ink Storm to paint zones from a distance? You, big ol' Explosher? You need it to threaten the backline, but a good charger is such an issue, you want a subweapon that deals with the problem over an expensive special.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I would have been more disappointed by the kit if I hadn’t predicted it.
It will be fun in casual play.

SquidAbortions

Senior Squid
Yeah triple splashdown is kinda bad but honestly atleast u can now threaten an undercover ;):D:p:oops:o_O

LOL but honestly splashwall is kinda good on explo, no? and it's a nice .....inktank refill and you can use it to reposition to a teammate?? it cant be TOO bad right

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
What is the purpose of a Wall on a weapon that can already attack from behind cover? You simply do not need it. Just use the existing map geometry that does not cost your precious ink tank.

What is Splashdown doing on a weapon that never wants to be close enough to use it? Don't say panic button, if that is the only utility you ever get out of your special that is just not enough. Maybe once or twice a match you'll pop it and at best you'll get a trade.

What does the current kit offer the Explosher main to Splat Zones? As long as the Explosher is the single biggest zone painter on the field, what does it need Point Sensor for enemy highlighting? We know they all out to get you, so what you need is some manner of self protection. Do you need Ink Storm to paint zones from a distance? You, big ol' Explosher? You need it to threaten the backline, but a good charger is such an issue, you want a subweapon that deals with the problem over an expensive special.
Sensor helps you land shots without line of sight. And more importantly, it supports your teammates. Explo has a hard time killing targets on its own, it wants to play for assists. You're sitting back in a comfortable position to tag anything you see, deal chip damage, and expect followup support. Since you're playing extra passive on Zones anyway, letting Explo also play this utility role works for it.

Storm is a fire-and-forget special that instantly refills ink and lets you get right back to pressing the ZR button. That's really important on a weapon as ink-hungry as Explo. Its chip damage combos well with the main weapon, making opponents vulnerable to 90 damage directs. And it also, y'know, paints the zone.

vExplo isn't a top tier kit, the individual pieces still need buffing, but they do have synergy together. cExplo is one big antisynergy.

There is no mapmode where I would ever choose cExplo over this. Trying to call this a Zones kit is genuinely baffling to me, vExplo is already a Zones weapon and then you should just play a different main weapon entirely on other modes.

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
my thoughts for splashdown on explo are similar to how i played heavy deco when i used to play that. my gameplay loop for heavy was "play safe, help team and paint for special" -> "i have kraken now, hold my kraken and push forward aggressively in spots that would be difficult for a heavy to stay in otherwise" -> "use my kraken to defend and prolong a push if a frontline starts running at me, then get back to a safe position afterwards" -> repeat. basically, once you have your special, you can afford to take riskier positions because if you get threatened you have an option to immediately punish that

...that being said, i don't really think splashdown will work even close to as well as kraken does for heavy lol. key thing being that you don't actually have a way to defend yourself once your special ends, and it doesn't give you a chance to put yourself into a safer position first. maybe splash wall can come out fast enough to give you a chance to take cover? but ultimately i don't think it'll do much for it and it truly is a tragic kit for it to receive. i think it could be fun in lower level environments where people aren't good at trading splashdowns though so like. casuals win i suppose

Shayreep

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1285-8726-3991
What is the purpose of a Wall on a weapon that can already attack from behind cover? You simply do not need it. Just use the existing map geometry that does not cost your precious ink tank.

What is Splashdown doing on a weapon that never wants to be close enough to use it? Don't say panic button, if that is the only utility you ever get out of your special that is just not enough. Maybe once or twice a match you'll pop it and at best you'll get a trade.

Sensor helps you land shots without line of sight. And more importantly, it supports your teammates. Explo has a hard time killing targets on its own, it wants to play for assists. You're sitting back in a comfortable position to tag anything you see, deal chip damage, and expect followup support. Since you're playing extra passive on Zones anyway, letting Explo also play this utility role works for it.

Storm is a fire-and-forget special that instantly refills ink and lets you get right back to pressing the ZR button. That's really important on a weapon as ink-hungry as Explo. Its chip damage combos well with the main weapon, making opponents vulnerable to 90 damage directs. And it also, y'know, paints the zone.

vExplo isn't a top tier kit, the individual pieces still need buffing, but they do have synergy together. cExplo is one big antisynergy.

There is no mapmode where I would ever choose cExplo over this. Trying to call this a Zones kit is genuinely baffling to me, vExplo is already a Zones weapon and then you should just play a different main weapon entirely on other modes.
Yea this right here i agree with lol if ur playing explo right then youre never supposed to be close enough to use splashdown or wall.... ig you could throw walls at teammates in front of you???? Splashdown is just a big wtf on a backliner theres a reason vhydra is a meme in splat2

Sorcerer

Senior Squid
NNID
JiveSoulBro
You don't always have the map to help you. You also occasionally want to push ahead and attack the enemy backline, not unlike a Splat Charger with wall going forwards. Except Explosher is even slower and needs the help even more.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
It is absolutely not Explo's job to push and fight opposing backliners. You lose 1v1s with any other backline. Just stay on snipe and paint the zone. If the entire team is able to push ahead of zone you can move up, but you're still staying in a safe backline spot with cover and you are not attempting to challenge their backline.

Shayreep

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1285-8726-3991
Yyyeah an explo will just get insta-snapped by a charger or splatling, its not a winnable 1v1. Exploshers strength is painting and providing aoe

Sorcerer

Senior Squid
NNID
JiveSoulBro
Yyyeah an explo will just get insta-snapped by a charger or splatling, its not a winnable 1v1. Exploshers strength is painting and providing aoe
That's what the wall is for. So you don't get sniped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom