• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Final Smash Presentation Discussion

ArcticWolf

Inkster Jr.
NNID
RedGazelle7
As an fyi to some here, Bayonetta is actually a very succesful series. The first game on the PS3 alone sold well over a million, with the 360 version and Bayo 2 hitting around the 900k mark. (Which is very good for the latter considering it's a Wii U exclusive game).

it's why i hate people who keep saying well maybe they'll get into the next smash game or hey at least there's a sequel most likely in the works

first off

1.We don't even know if there will be another smash game and even so it's probably gonna be on the NX Not the wii-u and it'll probably be years from now
and

2.Nintendo has neither confirmed or denied the existence of a splatoon sequel and with how hush hush they've been about splatoon aside from splat fests and the update gear i think they are just waiting until the updates are over in early 2016...which will probably signal the end of splatoon
As long as the series keeps raking in the money and millions sales for Nintendo, Smash is going to continue to get squeals.

I don't know why people are getting so worried about Splatoon's future when it's clear how much of a hit the game is worldwide, why WOULDN'T they make a sequel?

Nintendo still cares about this game, if they didn't they wouldn't have given us more content, done the Splatournament, as well as this http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/1...n-getting-a-squid-sisters-concert-in-january/

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
I like how you bust people's balls for speculating they'll be in the next smash and then, go about speculating there will never be another smash and the Inklings won't make it, and that they are going to leave their new cash cow of an IP behind.

We get it, Inklings didn't make it, you're upset about it, but get over it. Isaac didn't make it, K Rool didn't make it FREAKING SHOVEL KNIGHT didn't make, there are so many people that could have won and made it in smash, Inklings didn't. You are upset about 1 of HUNDREDS of characters that didn't make it, so please, take your emotions, stuff them WAY down into your stomach and stop sulking in this thread. It's aggravating, I'm not going to lie.
Anyone who honestly thought K.Rool was gonna be in this game is insane....nintendo themselves probably forgot he existed i mean when was the last time he was in anything? it's as bad as the idiots who kept screaming for Ridley to be in the game no matter how stupid that sounds

As an fyi to some here, Bayonetta is actually a very succesful series. The first game on the PS3 alone sold well over a million, with the 360 version and Bayo 2 hitting around the 900k mark. (Which is very good for the latter considering it's a Wii U exclusive game).

As long as the series keeps raking in the money and millions sales for Nintendo, Smash is going to continue to get squeals.

I don't know why people are getting so worried about Splatoon's future when it's clear how much of a hit the game is worldwide, why WOULDN'T they make a sequel?

Nintendo still cares about this game, if they didn't they wouldn't have given us more content, done the Splatournament, as well as this http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/1...n-getting-a-squid-sisters-concert-in-january/
because the updates will probably end in Early 2016 and then what? where do they go from there? a sequel in 3-5 Years

Last edited by a moderator:

ArcticWolf

Inkster Jr.
NNID
RedGazelle7
because the updates will probably end in Early 2016 and then what? where do they go from there? a sequel in 3-5 Years
I'd say a sequel is pretty damn likely to happen. It'll show that Splatoon has a bright future ahead. The updates may end next year yeah, but the people playing this game aren't suddenly going to stop playing when that happens.

Well, new Smash games do make the fans squeal...
The reaction vids are proof of that. =P
Thanks auto correct.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
that's animal crossing though....i just think they could do more with Callie/Marie especially with the victory scene(which would basically be a musical performance instead of simply splatting the screen with ink)

I'd like to see various color alts of them instead of the inkling getting in and all their alts just being Male/Female with different hats
That actually sounds like a horrible idea. Inklings are the face of splatoon, so using the squid sister is a bit ridiculous. Not only that, but the inklings have more variety in looks with headgear, shirt and shoes as opposed to callie and mari who will either be just color swaps of their dress and that one outfit they wear in single player mode. Sure their win animations might be more dynamic, but that's about it. It'd be like adding isabelle instead of the villager or little mac's trainer instead of himself or heck the pacman ghosts instead of pacman. I honestly don't see the sisters doing anything remotely different that inklings can already do.

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
i dunno i guess i just don't like generic avatar characters being playable in fighting games....they just come off as bland and sleep inducing to me

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
that's animal crossing though....i just think they could do more with Callie/Marie especially with the victory scene(which would basically be a musical performance instead of simply splatting the screen with ink)

I'd like to see various color alts of them instead of the inkling getting in and all their alts just being Male/Female with different hats
But did you think of a MOVESET? You know, because smash is fighting game. Callie and Marie don't fight directly in single player, and don't do anything other than dances outside of it. Inklings are the face of Splatoon, and therefore are the foremost series representative, and wield a variety of weapons.

And what makes you think they'd only change the hats for each costume? With Pikachu, this is justified due to it being the sole face of most merchandise and promotional material, but there are a multitude of different inklings represented in promotional material for Splatoon, and the game is built around the customization of your avatar. Each costume would be like the Villager's.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Okay, let's get back on topic to the direct, not Splatoon's (bright) future.

First, I'm really cringing over the reaction to Corrin here. I apologize for being blunt, but... Corrin is not unanimously considered a stupid addition, not every character is going to be what you're interested in (*gasp*), only 14/58 of the roster is swordfighters, there is no need to bash a non-controversial series just because you don't care for it and/or it's popular, and if you don't like the DLC, don't buy it. Period. Admittedly, I'm an FE fan, but still, calm the heck down and stop the pessimism. o.o; That being said, I'm actually sorta excited for Corrin. We got a draconic shapeshifter, which is pretty awesome. I know plenty didn't like the decision, but I'm confident things will calm down.

As for Bayonetta, I felt a BUNCH of hype... and admittedly, I don't know much about her! :P She looks really exciting to play, and I should definitely look into her games to see what's up with her.

Also, I gotta go look at an LP of FF7. :P

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
just give Callie/Marie Splatoon Weapons and maybe a few singing based ones

I'm just saying whenever this happens with a game where you have a generic player character

nobody ever says "i wish i could play as my character in a fighting game!" it's always the NPC's you want to play as not the generic avatar character

I'm willing to bet most of the time the NPC's are more popular than the lead avatar character(s)

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
I like how you bust people's balls for speculating they'll be in the next smash and then, go about speculating there will never be another smash and the Inklings won't make it, and that they are going to leave their new cash cow of an IP behind.
It's not a cash cow, though. They're already ignoring it.

Wasn't the PS3 version considered the worst version of the first Bayonetta? Did they market the games up the wazoo compared to the massive marketing both Super Mario Maker & Splatoon got? I find it weird that they added in a character whose games didn't have tons of marketing while something that does get a lot of marketing doesn't get any playable characters or heck, even references. Nintendo has very bad standards.

The World Ends With You was a successful game, but it didn't get any sequels due to how stubborn Square Enix is. It's already happening with Splatoon. And the content they give for the game is weak. I want some big content to be added in. I'm tired of only getting weapons and a new stage once in a while.

I wonder if the concert's gonna have the Squid Sisters as holograms like with Michael Jackson & Hatsune Miku?

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Inklings would be the better choice though, They have a wide variety of weapons to work with and they are actually playable. I mean, Villager got in too. Callie and Marie would work best as an assist, at most.

Not saying that i justify people raging about the new stuff SSB4's getting, but i don't think it's allright for people to laugh at others who aren't impressed with the new DLC characters. SSB4 hasn't been light on the guest characters, and the FE representation is getting kind of excessive at this point.

Personally, i'm not interested in any of the revealed newcomers in SSB4 so far. But it's clear that i'm in the minority here.

The World Ends With You was a successful game, but it didn't get any sequels due to how stubborn Square Enix is. It's already happening with Splatoon. And the content they give for the game is weak. I want some big content to be added in. I'm tired of only getting weapons and a new stage once in a while.
TWEWY, while decent wasn't a masterpiece by any means and is largely overshadowed by SE's real moneymaker Kingdom Hearts.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
just give Callie/Marie Splatoon Weapons and maybe a few singing based ones

I'm just saying whenever this happens with a game where you have a generic player character

nobody ever says "i wish i could play as my character in a fighting game!" it's always the NPC's you want to play as not the generic avatar character

I'm willing to bet most of the time the NPC's are more popular than the lead avatar character(s)
Not everyone thinks like you. If your statement about "it's always the NPCs you want to play as" was true then there goes half the smash roster.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
...yeah, I'm gonna call bullshit on that. Splatoon is a huge hit, it helped move a bunch of Wii Us over the summer and on Black Friday. See what @ShinyGirafarig posted about the Splatoon merchandise they've been making? Not only that, if they're ignoring it, why have we been getting so much new content, all of it free so far?

Look, I get it, you're upset that the Inklings didn't make it. But that does not mean Nintendo is already ignoring Splatoon as a whole. If anything, I'd assumed it was going to be something they would push for a long while, to capitalize on its success.

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429

The World Ends With You was a successful game, but it didn't get any sequels due to how stubborn Square Enix is. It's already happening with Splatoon.
Woah woah woah, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. TWEWY was an amazing and unique game, but it's not getting a sequel because it didn't sell well (plus SE's stubbornness, like you said :p). It sold half a million copies in NA, not even half of that in Japan, and only a tenth of that in Europe, altogether not even selling 800,000 copies in its time on the shelves.

Splatoon has already sold more than triple that number in six months, so there's no way Nintendo doesn't think Splatoon is selling well. Who ever said that a game has to be represented in Smash in order to be considered successful? I wanted the Inklings in Smash too, but I really don't think we have to worry about Splatoon being forgotten. It's gonna be around for a long time ;)

Sales Numbers Sources:
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/82965/splatoon/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/16116/the-world-ends-with-you/

Last edited:

ArcticWolf

Inkster Jr.
NNID
RedGazelle7

Wasn't the PS3 version considered the worst version of the first Bayonetta? Did they market the games up the wazoo compared to the massive marketing both Super Mario Maker & Splatoon got? I find it weird that they added in a character whose games didn't have tons of marketing while something that does get a lot of marketing doesn't get any playable characters or heck, even references. Nintendo has very bad standards.

I wonder if the concert's gonna have the Squid Sisters as holograms like with Michael Jackson & Hatsune Miku?
The PS3 version is considered the worse version, due to load times and frame rate issues (with the former later being patched). But still perfectly playable. As for the marketing, I only know that it had some tv ads from Pop singers. Word of mouth played a role too.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Maybe they didn't do Inklings in smash because they didn't know how to fully implement them in while being true to their game. I mean, the whole ink surfaces to travel is radically different from any gimmick in Smash and would need lots of time to implement as well as balancing it. Additionally, the sheer variety of weapons means that somebody would complain when something isn't there, and it wouldn't fit well with the fact no DLC characters have custom moves. Besides, keeping a popular character out of Smash might at least be a good business move. As inklings themselves are such a popular character, holding them off for Smash 5 might encourage more people to buy the full game. Not really good for the fans, but a nice business move, seeing as Smash Bros is the type of series where people might buy only one of the games.

Didn't a bunch of people want Palutena, but hate her since she was one of the weaker characters with not much going for them? I think Nintendo doesn't want to make the same mistake with such a popular IP.

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
Smash 5 isn't even confirmed yet and with each entry being many years away from the previous one whose to say splatoon will still be as relevant for Smash 5

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
CLOUD STORMS THE BATTLE!

Never got past disc one of FFVII (got stuck, don't recall where), but I liked what I played, and I thought Cloud was cool, so I was happy about (if a bit confused by, dunno if he's ever been on a Nintendo console before now) Cloud's appearance in Sm4sh.

BAYONETTA GETS WICKED!

I actually played some of Bayonetta, and the way she moves is really quite accurate to the games (at least from what I saw. Never actually finished them...). She's got the guns, the shooting, the combos, the Wicked Weaves, the butterfly wings, the Witch Time (which is, sigh, yet another f***ing counter move, but at least it looks more interesting than the other ones), and it all looks so damn good.

INKLINGS GET TO WAIT FOR SMASH 5!

I... don't have a problem with this.

Well, that's not entirely true.

I do wish they'd gotten into Sm4sh. They would've been a neat addition, and I think aybe Inklings would've brought something new to the Smash table, if they got to bring their inking over from Splatoon.
Which they would, if Nintendo's smart, which I assume they are.

But they'd have to have been done pretty quickly if they'd gotten in at this late a stage in the development of Sm4sh, and maybe they would've gotten saddled with some ideas that wouldn't be so great.
And then they'd get stuck with those in future Smashes.
Happened to Ganondorf.
Not that they'd get screwed that much, but still.
You mean Assist Trophy?

In any case, Cloud has been on Nintendo systems. To my knowledge though, he's only ever been on Nintendo systems as guest appearances in Kingdom hearts games and in Theathrythm.

Bayonetta's counter move is signfiicantly different than any other counter move: It doesn't deal damage, like all of the other ones, but rather, slows affected opponents down and renders ineffective whatever move they did.

Sonic got the shaft too in terms of his moves for Brawl. If he was given more time, or he was a debut character in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS, I'm sure he would've had much more creative stuff that dug further into his lore instead of the Homing Attack and two variations of the Spin Dash (and like six more with his regular moves). And actual remixed music too! The Sonic franchise is STILL the only one with a playable character and no remixed music made for the game! (Jun Senoue's Angel Island remix doesn't count, as it was pulled from the 30th ann
My thoughts about the whole thing.

*On Sakurai*
First, let me say that I believe Sakurai deserves quite the giant paycheck for his work on Smash 4 (if he hasn't gotten one already). How big it should be, I don't know for sure, but enough that he'll be set for life, never needing to work again.
Speaking of which... I kinda don't want Sakurai to come back for a potential Smash 5. Not because I think he's a washed-up hack that hates my favorite characters*, like most of the salty comments I've read (off-site, mind you). I just think that, well, I read that he wanted this to be the last game, just as he wanted Melee & Brawl to be the last games. I think he oughta take a break, mostly for his health (I had also read that he became ill making the game). I'd hate to have Smash 5 at the expense of his health—it's bad enough that it happened with this game. And I don't think the game itself would suffer without his leadership. It would be a hit no matter who they put in charge.

*I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, but at the mentality that seems to pervade from the stupider side of the hatedom, which I cannot stand. I have my criticisms of the game like anybody else, but if this is the only thing that makes you hate Sakurai... frankly, I find that to be completely ridiculous and overblown. Step back, and if not having what you want outweighs the good things in the game, then I'd advise you to stop playing and find something else. Or wait for Project B to make it a reality
Sakurai's condition was calcific tendonitis, which means calcium crystals were forming on his joints. They began on one of his shoulders a couple of months before the game's release, and by the time the game had come out, it had spread down to that arm's fingers and up to his other arm. I don't know if he's had treatment yet, but he waved at the end of the video, something he wouldn't be able to do without medical help. Calcific tendonitis is a chronic lifetime malady unless the crystals are surgically removed, which is a very expensive procedure because only the most skilled doctors can do it--but when they do, it's a near guaranteed success, and the patient never has to worry about calcific tendonitis again. Sakurai can afford the treatment, no doubt, and if anything, Nintendo could even foot the bill because Sakurai's a valuable person and worth however much it costs to let him use his arms again.

As for Sakurai's contribution to the process, I cannot be sure, but he does game-testing himself. He has been shown to play 2-player Smash Bros. games by himself, a controller on each hand. He also cares very much about every last detail of the game, and you can see his signature menu styles in every game he has directed, whether it be Super Smash Bros. 4, Meteos, or Kirby Air Ride (which he eventually walked out from, but his influence is still there). I am sure good Smash Bros. games can be done without his involvement, but it won't be the same without him.

Smash 5 may not happen anyway since it's been confirmed that Sakurai's done with the series. Even if there was one in the works, it probably won't come out for several more years.
Four words: "Many titles to come."

That's pretty much confirmation that Smash Bros. is going to keep happening. It, too, is a major IP (and it, too, was an accidental success).

We get it, Inklings didn't make it, you're upset about it, but get over it. Isaac didn't make it, K Rool didn't make it FREAKING SHOVEL KNIGHT didn't make, there are so many people that could have won and made it in smash, Inklings didn't. You are upset about 1 of HUNDREDS of characters that didn't make it, so please, take your emotions, stuff them WAY down into your stomach and stop sulking in this thread. It's aggravating, I'm not going to lie.
Yeah, I can see it: If an Inkling made it in, we're going to be seeing just as much salt from the Bayonetta fanbase.

That actually sounds like a horrible idea. Inklings are the face of splatoon, so using the squid sister is a bit ridiculous. Not only that, but the inklings have more variety in looks with headgear, shirt and shoes as opposed to callie and mari who will either be just color swaps of their dress and that one outfit they wear in single player mode. Sure their win animations might be more dynamic, but that's about it. It'd be like adding isabelle instead of the villager or little mac's trainer instead of himself or heck the pacman ghosts instead of pacman. I honestly don't see the sisters doing anything remotely different that inklings can already do.
I think it's also worth pointing out that this not only applies to Villager, but Pokémon Trainer as well. It'd make no sense to use an NPC like a Gym Leader, Elite Four member, Champion, or villain simply because they have more personality, because characters like Red are whom you play as. Their designs are intentionally generic too, and they are officially nameless (hence why he was known as "Pokémon Trainer" and not "Red").

Oh, they do. In addition to player Pokémon trainers and villagers (have you seen how much complaining there is in that villagers were relegated to placeholders in Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival?), you have the Monster Hunters, the Avatar in Xenoblade Chronicles X, Sheppard in the Mass Effect games, the Miis in pretty much any game centered around them, etc. Heroic Mime characters like Mario and Link function the same way too.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Let's consider a few things.

1. Final Fantasy was expected to be the last game Square Enix released, hence the name. It became a gaming colossus with some of the most rabid fans in gamedom.

2. Mario started as an unnamed construction worker in an arcade game.

3. Team Fortress started out as use created content.

4. Metroid missed a release on the N64. That's right: the series not only missed a year or two, but the entire life of a console. It made a comeback just fine on the Advance and GCN.

5. Fire Emblem Awakening was supposed to be the last FE game for a long time (if they ever did another). It turned into a runaway success that propelled the series to the top of Ninty's radar.

6. Pikmin was a lot like Splatoon: a quirky little original IP game that came out of nowhere and won everyone over. It has enjoyed immense popularity and two sequels.

7. The original Killing Floor game has been around longer than some consoles and still has a lot of popularity despite a sequel.

My point is, this isn't a sign that Splatoon is already dying. At least have the courtesy to wait until Ninty ends support/patching and updates before reading a game its last rights. It has been a runaway success, captured the hearts of many, has a winning formula, and can easily live on long past its post-release hype. Whether or not it will take off depends on many things, but it's gotten the hard part out of the way: it's shown that it can make money. Nintendo simply has to keep it interesting, which they've been able to do with other titles. After over 10 years of jumping on Koopas or stabbing Ganon, Nintendo is able to keep people interested in Mario and Zelda.

So what if Splatoon didn't get a player character in Smash? Seriously, take a look at all the Smash and Assist Trophies in Smash and tell me that many of those characters shouldn't be added as playable characters too. Why isn't there a Toon Zelda/Tetra combo to go with Toon Link? I mean, it's not like anyone will care about Wind Waker years after its release right? There's no chance of Nintendo creating an HD remastered version. Why wasn't Simon Belmont made into a playable character? Why did they leave Wolf O'Donnell out of this one? Why didn't they include Krystal? If they were bringing in 3rd party characters like Ryu or Pac Man, why didn't they add Terra from Final Fantasy 6?

I can kvetch and caterwaul about this all day, or I can accept the fact that the devs made a judgement call on who to include and enjoy the game for what it is. It's not like a playable Inkling will change anything about what makes the game fun. It is also not a sign of Splatoon's demise. It means the devs did not choose to make them playable, and that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom