Free Splatoon content stops officially at the end of January. So I wanna ask you something.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
God forbid Octolings from ever being playable, eh?

Again, the "Bot-AI" in Splatoon really isn't all that great.
All it's good for, is practice and getting into the game (which is actually the purpose of Single Player).

But for serious matches, the AI is just too weak.
It wouldn't stand a chance against most online-players.
Well if we did have a mode like this it isn't gonna be a 4v4. It probably take more of a wave style defense with hordes of Octopus soldiers. Probably have like Octostrikers designed to disrupt chargers. Lots of Octolings as the main opponent, some Octobombers, throw in some Octosnipers here and there. Just hordes of Octopi, overpowering players just shire numbers and a bunch of things going on at once.

Wiebenjijzeg

Full Squid
NNID
Syrnis
Paid DLC would be quite the downer for me, personally, I don't want to spend money I don't have for a game I love D:

Fish_Goes_Moo

Inkster Jr.
All I want from the last update is an updated mm that takes latency into account. Pretty much stopped playing outside of splatfest as I'm fed up of playing with 250 or so ping (EU to Japan), so don't really get to enjoy the new stuff anyway.

AustinXYZ

Inkling
NNID
AustinXYZ
I was really hoping for an additional ranked mode. I wouldn't mind buying a DLC bundle that opened up a new mode or two. (Capture the flag?)

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I was really hoping for an additional ranked mode. I wouldn't mind buying a DLC bundle that opened up a new mode or two. (Capture the flag?)
With the model Splatoon has, online modes should not be put behind a pay wall. Just doesn't work with the online model this game has set up. Things that would be more reasonable as payed DLC would be something like a single player expansion.

EmptyCell

Inkling
Wasn't there amiibo, that gave you some SP levels already? I swear that, I saw some articles talking about that. Anyway, isn't amiibo considered as DLC (it still gives you content)? if they would put some content, they could make more amiibos. Still... as DLC goes. We might & might not see DLCs. But how those DLCs look like and what they will contain, its still unknown. They could make DLC system like in Fire Emblem. Back on topic - plz no mapmaker. That would be insane. And for weaponcrafting... That would be cool idea, but I think they could eF'd it up.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Well if we did have a mode like this it isn't gonna be a 4v4. It probably take more of a wave style defense with hordes of Octopus soldiers. Probably have like Octostrikers designed to disrupt chargers. Lots of Octolings as the main opponent, some Octobombers, throw in some Octosnipers here and there. Just hordes of Octopi, overpowering players just shire numbers and a bunch of things going on at once.
Aka, pretty much the Octoling Invasion missions as CO-OP. Which even alone are piss easy, once you mastered the controls.
Thanks to the pathetic enemy AI.
And it is hard for me to say this, since I love Octolings. But I cannot deny, that their AI is weak.
They are pretty much a practice run before starting real Online-Battles.
Nothing more.

And I still don't get what you people have against playable Octolings. :/

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
I still don't get what you people have against playable Octolings. :/
Some people think that it will take the focus off inklings and it would be hard to introduce them in a game a lot of people don't seem to understand has a more concrete and realistically defined universe, from what I could gather on this forum. Personally they remind me too much of Shadow the Hedgehog for me to like them anymore, although I'm not opposed to their playability.

DekuKitty

Pro Squid
NNID
SkyeHunter
I just realised something. Octolings are the Half Life 3 of the Splatoon fandom. I'm gonna cry cause that means it wont happen for about 20 years.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I just realised something. Octolings are the Half Life 3 of the Splatoon fandom. I'm gonna cry cause that means it wont happen for about 20 years.
Post #49. 49 divided by 3 is 16.THREE REPEATING.

Post has 3 sentences.

Half-Life 3 Confirmed!

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Aka, pretty much the Octoling Invasion missions as CO-OP. Which even alone are piss easy, once you mastered the controls.
Thanks to the pathetic enemy AI.
And it is hard for me to say this, since I love Octolings. But I cannot deny, that their AI is weak.
They are pretty much a practice run before starting real Online-Battles.
Nothing more.
And... is that supposed to be a bad thing? I already said that boosting the AI's capabilities is an option. I can't imagine that it would take much more than tweaking a few variables and writing a bit of new code.

Yes, it would be similar to the Octoling Battle missions, but it would also be an expansion of it (well, my idea of it is).

And I still don't get what you people have against playable Octolings. :/
I for one can't understand this mindset. As for me, getting off the hype train and brainstorming alternatives doesn't equate to not wanting them in. And to be honest, I've seen a fair bit more support for playable Octolings than I have dissent (I can think of what, two?) on these boards. So I'm supposed to believe that three people speak for all of SquidBoards? I don't get it.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Some people think that it will take the focus off inklings and it would be hard to introduce them in a game a lot of people don't seem to understand has a more concrete and realistically defined universe, from what I could gather on this forum. Personally they remind me too much of Shadow the Hedgehog for me to like them anymore, although I'm not opposed to their playability.
Still a stange mindset, in my eyes.

I can see Octolings being included as some kind of unlockable, instead of being playable from the get go.
And as such, I can see them working perfectly fine.
Whether the unlocking condition is paid DLC, amiibo or clearing Story Mode first, I do not care personally.

But as an unlockable, I can't see them damaging the Inkling's reputation.
And if Octolings end up becoming more popular, well then that is how it is.
Octoling are already insanely popular as it is. Easily rivaling the popularity of the Inkling Girl

And... is that supposed to be a bad thing? I already said that boosting the AI's capabilities is an option. I can't imagine that it would take much more than tweaking a few variables and writing a bit of new code.

Yes, it would be similar to the Octoling Battle missions, but it would also be an expansion of it (well, my idea of it is).
Still, I dont think it would make for a good game mode.
And I don't think Nintendo will go through the trouble of programming a potent AI for an online mode, when the established PvP formula already works perfectly fine.

I for one can't understand this mindset. As for me, getting off the hype train and brainstorming alternatives doesn't equate to not wanting them in. And to be honest, I've seen a fair bit more support for playable Octolings than I have dissent (I can think of what, two?) on these boards. So I'm supposed to believe that three people speak for all of SquidBoards? I don't get it.
Ok then.
But I have seen more and more people going against people that would like Octolings to be playable, as if they don't want them in.

People tellung is, Octolings will never be playable (some even stating they shouldn't be) for some unexplained reason (and again, ignoring the clues and evidence that speak for their inclusion).
Basicly, I don't get the people, that are so passionate in telling us, that Octolings are not going to be playable.

I mean, if you believe that, I am fine with it.
But why continue to shove these lines into our faces? Do you really want the Octo-Believers to think otherwise, that badly?
(NOTE: It was meant in general, not directly at you specifically)

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Still, I dont think it would make for a good game mode.
And I don't think Nintendo will go through the trouble of programming a potent AI for an online mode, when the established PvP formula already works perfectly fine.
Well more sequel potential then. I mean the mindset we have is the Mann vs Machine of Splatoon. A step away from the online being purely PvP and offer a different co-op PvE aspect.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Well more sequel potential then. I mean the mindset we have is the Mann vs Machine of Splatoon. A step away from the online being purely PvP and offer a different co-op PvE aspect.
Nintendo isn't Valve you know?
They have no experience at all with Online Shooters.
Splatoon is their first step into that realm.
So don't get your hopes up.
And it doesn't look like something they want anyways.

And why reducing Octolings to that? I will never understand....

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
And to be honest, I've seen a fair bit more support for playable Octolings than I have dissent (I can think of what, two?) on these boards.
If I am one of those two people, you can make it one. I'd love for them to be playable. I just don't think it's going to happen in this game. I'm not going to let personal hype override rational thinking. It's a critical flaw of mine.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Nintendo isn't Valve you know?
They have no experience at all with Online Shooters.
Splatoon is their first step into that realm.
So don't get your hopes up.
And it doesn't look like something they want anyways.

And why reducing Octolings to that? I will never understand....
Never said it was a necessity. Just said this would be a nice step to broadening the online experience. Lots of online games also offer a more PvE oriented co-op mode, even if Splatoon is not trying to be like other shooters there is a demographic for people who would rather co-op PvE than PvP. Also note how I said sequel potential, things that would be interesting for them to add in Splatoon next iteration whenever or if ever that may be.

What is there to reduce from Octolings? They are the series' bad, more general Octopi, even if said they are mind controlled, they are still the bad we fight against. Unless another adversary is introduced for the mode, the Octopi are just the easiest to make an example with.

I'm one of those people who really don't care if we do or don't get Octolings as playable characters. If we do, great. If we don't, oh well we didn't. Isn't like playable Octolings open an entirely new way to play, they would just be a cosmetic difference.

Last edited:

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@Paragon-Yoshi

OK, we're at a fundamental disconnect. I think a Firefight-esque mode would be neat, you don't. No amount of debating is going to convince either of us that the other side may have a point, so I'll drop that issue.

But before I do, one last passing thought: That hypothetical mode and playable Octolings are not mutually exclusive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom