• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Fresh Season Has Started!

SacredWarrior

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SacredWarrior88
Switch Friend Code
SW-5006-3355-6621
Welp Fresh Season is finally here :) What is everyone's first impressions on it so far?

I really like the new stages and while I'm very happy to see my beloved N-Zap 89 make a return, I'm not too fond of its special weapon compared to the Dark Tetra Dualies (my main) and the Forge Splattershot Pro (my secondary).

I love to see Inkopolis and the Squid Sisters return as well which is always nice! I'll definitely be spending a lot of time in there!

Cephalobro

I forgot how one of the tracks near Booyah Base can be very catchy. Now I remember exactly one of the reasons why I spent too much time in this hub back in Splatoon 1.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
i really like the emotes of this season! but all the gear/clothes/shoes and then i mean fashionable/stylish wise i personally don't really like this time...
but it's still worth completing the catalogue and getting all them awesome emotes!

And Manta Maria is back! it was 1 of my favorite stages in Splatoon 2 so i am super happy to be able to play on it again!

Cephalobro

I just don't like that the Reppin' Inkopolis emote didn't go with the superior shooter winning animation. But if emotes can now be obtained through the Shell-Out Machine, then there could be the superior one. And yes I really do mean the one where the weapon is thrown upwards and then caught with the other hand, fellow Splatoon 1 players will know what I'm talking about.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So overall I am very happy I got my L-3 byrst bomb back with a kit that fits its rushdown nature

Also I got my White Anchor Tee!!! Now all I need is the Red Anchor LS and Black Anchor Tee and I will have all my favortie gear

Going back to S1 thought felt like a blast from the past can't believe its been so long since I been here, though it does make me foundly remember all the OG Spaltoon maps I miss....except salt spray that stage was miserable to play, so I guess is gping to be added in the next update

Now let me play all the old arcade games squid jump, squid racer, squid beats, and squid ball and then it will really feel like nothing has changed
Well except maybe one thing:ability_recon::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:

Cephalobro

The only thing left for them to truly make it a nostalgia trip as well is to let us access the original testing range where we get to play hoops with Spat Bombs. While the original Tutorial level is also nostalgic, I understand why we didn't go through it this time.

Elbowtross

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
elbowtross256
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8505-2901
I guess I'll start by talking about Kraken Royale. At first I'd thought it would be pretty bad as I would've thought Nintendo would be very cautious about bringing back the most contentious special back in 1 over to 3 and overnerf it as a result. However in reality, it's pretty good I feel. I can't say it's the best special in the game, but at least it's not awful. In fact, I think it's very fun to use. They managed to get rid of what made it frustrating to fight against, for the most part, and still made it feel fresh with the new Kraken Surge. I'm very pleased with how Kraken turned out overall.

As for Super Chump, yeah it's uhh … well it kinda sucks. The fact both weapons have its cost at 180p was an immediate red flag to me. It doesn't provide much of a threat with its weak damage and can be destroyed easily as its also paper thin. At least it doesn't have much commitment to use and won't get you killed in the process of using it - unlike Zipcaster or Reefslider - so at least it has that going for it. Also to add, both NZAP '89 and Clash Neo had Tenta Missiles back in Splatoon 2. Just some food for thought. Speaking of which, we haven't seen a new Tenta Missile weapon since release, or even a new Crab Tank weapon as a matter of fact.

I also just want to go on little tangent about Neo Splash-o-matic for a sec. Now I know why it has that kit because it's an analogue to Vanilla Splash from Splatoon 1. Even so, we didn't need another short-ranged shooter with suction bombs. Also with Triple Inkstrike you might as well not have even bothered making Tentatek in the first place. You could have at least give it Ink Storm instead as it would separate it from the other shooters while still being similar to its original paint-focused kit. Oh well, it doesn't matter that much as this is a problem present in all the games to an extent. However it would've been nice for Splat 3 to finally break this mold.

On a lighter note, getting Inkopolis plaza back is neat. Granted it's nothing more than a novelty, but that's fine by me as someone who started with Splatoon 1. Would have liked to seen the original testing range back though.

A jukebox feature added to the game finally allowing you to change the music. Only in the battle lobby.
C'mon Nintendo, you were sooo close. Just go a little further and let us be able to change the music in matches too.

Cephalobro

A jukebox feature added to the game finally allowing you to change the music. Only in the battle lobby.
C'mon Nintendo, you were sooo close. Just go a little further and let us be able to change the music in matches too.
Not to mention, you actually have to pay to change the music, this is what made me not use the feature because trying to get banners from the Shell-Out Machine as well as gear, stickers, and locker decorations already made having a lot of money almost an impossibility unless you grind like crazy.

#8 regret

Number 10,008
Pronouns
bup/it/she
NNID
gameruler2012
Switch Friend Code
SW-7261-2944-2031
Might as well toss in my own thoughts while I'm here.

It could just be that I'm running into more Kraken-carrying weapons than I should, but Kraken Royale is... annoying. While the jump has been nerfed to a two-shot in favour of the Kraken Surge, it still feels like there's nothing I can really do if there's a Kraken staring me down. This problem becomes even worse in Tower Control, where a Kraken can sit on the tower and contribute to pushing it while being at essentially zero risk. I'd personally be happy if they made it so people who are using Kraken Royale can't contribute to the tower, a la Sombra's cloak from Overwatch. As it stands, though, it's annoying to put up with.

Super Chump is... something. It's hard to tell if it's supposed to be a distraction, a defensive tool so the enemies have to shoot through the chumps to get to you and your teammates, or an offensive tool to ink a lot of turf in a small area. It really doesn't fulfill any of these roles particularly well. The chumps die to only a handful of shots (two Wiper horizontal swings!), don't cover a lot of ground individually, and only do 60 damage if they pop directly next to an enemy. Elbowtross had a point in bringing this up:
Also to add, both NZAP '89 and Clash Neo had Tenta Missiles back in Splatoon 2. Just some food for thought.
It seems pretty clear that the devs are trying to find a good replacement for Missiles, even though they brought it back anyway. If a replacement or rebalance for Missile is what they're after, Super Chump really isn't it.

Inkopolis Plaza being here is very neat, but I agree that it's simply a novelty to hold over the playerbase until Side Order is released. If I had to guess, that'll probably happen alongside the summer season beginning, if not the fall season.
With the way that the Travel menu is phrased, as well as the shot from the Side Order trailer being that of a bleached Inkopolis Square, my suspicion is that the clear reward for Side Order will be unlocking Inkopolis Square as a lobby option.

What feels even stranger is the complete lack of new music in this update. At the very least, with the jukebox being added and bringing with it all of the battle themes in the series*, you'd think that the developers would at least slap some of them into the multiplayer music pool, rather than sticking to the six or seven songs that are original to Splatoon 3. This is probably being done for music lore reasons, but it still presents itself as an annoyance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom