• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Get to know the REAL you!

Erin [SF*]

Inkling
NNID
AmberPearl
1. When I was small I wasn't entirely straight, but society slowly made me become too hetero to be an acceptable thing.
Now I'm kinda just attracted to anything that looks like a male (knowing I'm female).
2. Unpopular opinions. That's enough.
I have them all the time.
3. About 90% of my English is personal work. The teacher I've had for three years out of four in middle school (until I swapped schools for reasons) was too sucky, she couldn't even tell us what the french for a "sloth" was. Even now that I'm in highschool I'm bored during this class.
4. I absolutely hate being with people of my exact age in 9 cases out of 10.

I can't find positive facts about myself :')

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
I have Splatoon tshirts, a Splatoon sweater on the way and a plush squid. There's a Splatoon bedspread I want, but I also want to get a boyfriend sometime soon and I'm all for being weird but I think that's a line I shouldn't cross...

The future is only an idea, and doesn't exist outside of that. It never has, and it never will. Why are you letting an idea stress you out?
It's normal to be stressed out by an idea. Ask most people what they fear, and it will be their idea of death, or the idea of how they're going to be a failure, or the idea that their loved one is going to leave them. Sure people fear things, like spiders and snakes but those fears don't really keep people up at night. Ideas do. And it's not like anyone decides to "let" something stress them out. It's perfectly normal, and it's perfectly awful when one of those fears really gets to you.

And yes, everyone is winging life but some people are more bothered about that at particular times than others. Saying that is like telling someone who's sad that there are people with worse lives. It's unhelpful.

People are complicated, you can't just assume you understand someone's troubles and dismiss them because you almost certainly don't have a clear picture of what's actually going on.

I can't find positive facts about myself :')
Naw I'm sure there are lots! Hopefully you'll see them soon =)

Last edited:

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
It's normal to be stressed out by an idea. Ask most people what they fear, and it will be their idea of death, or the idea of how they're going to be a failure, or the idea that their loved one is going to leave them. Sure people fear things, like spiders and snakes but those fears don't really keep people up at night. Ideas do. And it's not like anyone decides to "let" something stress them out. It's perfectly normal, and it's perfectly awful when one of those fears really gets to you.
My point is, what is the worse thing that can happen? Anxiety is very real to people experiencing it, but it is also self inflicted. You aren't doing yourself any good by letting these things continue to weigh you down. You can help think in a more positive light by simply asking yourself what the worst possible outcome of any situation is. Unless getting mauled by a gang of trained attack midgets is a likely outcome, things can't be as bad as you're making them out to be. Mindful meditation can also help with anxiety by teaching you how to let troublesome thoughts drift away.

And yes, everyone is winging life but some people are more bothered about that at particular times than others. Saying that is like telling someone who's sad that there are people with worse lives. It's unhelpful.
If that's how you take it, it isn't helpful at all. What I was trying to say is that, in the end, no one really knows what they're doing in life or where it will all lead. They just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Trying to derive happiness from knowing some prosperous future lies ahead is like a dog chasing a bone hanging from a pole: it's always going to be just out of reach. Instead of worrying about where the ride will go or how it will end, just enjoy the ride.

People are complicated, you can't just assume you understand someone's troubles and dismiss them because you almost certainly don't have a clear picture of what's actually going on.
Many people experience anxiety in some form. The cause may be different, but the struggle is no less real for someone with social anxiety, general anxiety, or OCD related anxiety. It may not hurt to ask some people who manage their anxiety what helps them. You never know: it might work for you.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
My point is, what is the worse thing that can happen? Anxiety is very real to people experiencing it, but it is also self inflicted. You aren't doing yourself any good by letting these things continue to weigh you down. You can help think in a more positive light by simply asking yourself what the worst possible outcome of any situation is. Unless getting mauled by a gang of trained attack midgets is a likely outcome, things can't be as bad as you're making them out to be. Mindful meditation can also help with anxiety by teaching you how to let troublesome thoughts drift away.
I agree that mindful meditation is good but I don't really think it's fair to say that anxiety is self inflicted. Some people naturally have terrible anxiety and yes, it's their responsibility to manage it but for anyone, even with a minor problem it takes a huge amount of time, effort and knowledge. Sometimes it's impossible to figure out on your own too.

If you're in a bad place and you ask yourself "What's the worst possible thing that can happen?" it can go bad very easily. Also, you can end up thinking "Well it won't be a catastrophe but it will still suck" which is pretty depressing. I think it can be a really helpful question, I mean it's bread and butter CBT, but I don't think it's something you should say without knowing about someone's issue. There are so many different types of anxiety... there is no "Simply do this" that's going to be helpful every time.

If that's how you take it, it isn't helpful at all. What I was trying to say is that, in the end, no one really knows what they're doing in life or where it will all lead. They just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Trying to derive happiness from knowing some prosperous future lies ahead is like a dog chasing a bone hanging from a pole: it's always going to be just out of reach. Instead of worrying about where the ride will go or how it will end, just enjoy the ride.
I know that's what you meant, but again saying "Just enjoy the ride" doesn't mean you can suddenly just enjoy the ride. When you've got it figured out it's easy to say but when you're in the middle of it it's not helpful to hear.

Many people experience anxiety in some form. The cause may be different, but the struggle is no less real for someone with social anxiety, general anxiety, or OCD related anxiety. It may not hurt to ask some people who manage their anxiety what helps them. You never know: it might work for you.
I agree, and I think that if someone asks then offer up advice. But I just think maybe you should have more information before you tell someone what they should do, especially if they're just venting on a chilled out forum.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Well every experience of anxiety is different and the treatments are dependent on what they are. I have anxiety when it comes to driving and getting myself in the driver's seat in the first place has me planning out routes in my head, where to turn, how the streets will look, etc. for hours. Once I am in the car my anxiety is significantly lowered as my mind finally sees it's not so bad after all.

I don't really think it's fair to say that anxiety is self inflicted.
There could be outside influences than may cause anxiety for certain things. I got into a car accident when I was young when my uncle slid off the road on a hill. I woke up suddenly and really scared. I was afraid of doing something like that myself or even worse. It took me years after the minimum driving age of my state to get a permit. And somehow I got my license on my first try.

Also I am the type that does not like makeup at all. I would be yelled at and mocked by my parents a lot over this saying if I want a man who is well groomed I have to do it myself and that includes makeup. On dates I would put it first to make my parents satisfied, then never reapply them again through out the dating session. After marriage I would have this fear I kept to myself that he is going to leave me because I am not like most other women. It eventually went away because I saw he loves me for who I am.

So from these stories, one way to overcome anxiety is to put yourself in the situation that will cause anxiety. You can expose yourself fully, called "flooding", or gradually expose yourself to the anxiety inducing situation. This is for seeing that things really aren't so bad.

I have some more examples I am willing to share if you are interested. There are some anxiety inducing things I am still in middle of trying to overcome like not having anxiety at all before entering the car that I have to take care of for one thing.

Last edited:

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
There could be outside influences than may cause anxiety for certain things. I got into a car accident when I was young when my uncle slid off the road on a hill. I woke up suddenly and really scared. I was afraid of doing something like that myself or even worse. It took me years after the minimum driving age of my state to get a permit. And somehow I got my license on my first try.
Wow, well done on overcoming that! Yeah outside influences are usually due to the negative past experiences.

So from these stories, one way to overcome anxiety is to put yourself in the situation that will cause anxiety. You can expose yourself fully, called "flooding", or gradually expose yourself to the anxiety inducing situation. This is for seeing that things really aren't so bad.
Yeah that's a great way of overcoming most types of anxiety. I think gradual exposure is great, I never experienced flooding and I don't think it would have been right for me. I don't want to share my story on here but I went through exposure therapy and it was tough. I don't like to think about it.

I have some more examples I am willing to share if you are interested. There are some anxiety inducing things I am still in middle of trying to overcome like not having anxiety at all before entering the car that I have to take care of for one thing.
You can share if you like - I actually know a lot about it because I've had lots of different anxiety disorders and done lots of therapy. And when I say lots, I mean... lots O_O Also I read books about it cause I'm a total psychology nerd.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Wow, well done on overcoming that! Yeah outside influences are usually due to the negative past experiences.

Yeah that's a great way of overcoming most types of anxiety. I think gradual exposure is great, I never experienced flooding and I don't think it would have been right for me. I don't want to share my story on here but I went through exposure therapy and it was tough. I don't like to think about it.

You can share if you like - I actually know a lot about it because I've had lots of different anxiety disorders and done lots of therapy. And when I say lots, I mean... lots O_O Also I read books about it cause I'm a total psychology nerd.
I have a Master's in both Psychology and Social Work. But as you can see, learning about them does not mean I am above the laws of human nature and can have anxiety just as someone not exposed to learning about them.

When I was young I used to play on various handhelds in public. Then one day someone swiped my GBA SP straight from my hands. I gave chase but then lost him. I was too scared to take out any electronic device in public again. Even taking them to someone's home was a huge task for me. I would feel one of my handhelds in my purse constantly to see if it were still there. I barely streetpassed with my 3DS, even though I had many opportunities to get streetpasses. At someone's home, someone I know I can trust, I would make sure the 3DS is still there. Now I am not feeling for my 3DS as much in my purse because I logically know there is no way a thief would be able to pickpocket it with how it is positioned and it also has a band on it with a safety pin on it to pin it to the cloth inside the purse. I do feel for it occasionally but not much as it used to be. I do play it in semi public places such as planes but do take it with me in person when going to the restroom for instance. I guess I used the concept of CBT which is don't feel for it, and use the automatic thought of "it is impossible for a thief to pickpocket for it the way it is now."

Also for my own personal benefit, even without knowing about psychological concepts, I overcame fear of insects, spiders and the like all because I refused to be a stereotypical female. I guess I was made for psychology and social work after all without realizing it.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
I have a Master's in both Psychology and Social Work. But as you can see, learning about them does not mean I am above the laws of human nature and can have anxiety just as someone not exposed to learning about them.
Oh that's so cool. I can't wait to study psychology. I don't think it would matter if you studied it all your life, no one will ever be "above" something like anxiety or depression. Better educated on what to do about it, sure but like you say it's human nature so no one's immune.

Also for my own personal benefit, even without knowing about psychological concepts, I overcame fear of insects, spiders and the like all because I refused to be a stereotypical female. I guess I was made for psychology and social work after all without realizing it.
I did something similar! As a child I used to search my food obsessively, looking for anything that shouldn't be there. I was totally freaked out by certain foods and often just didn't eat because it was too stressful. On my own I realised the only way I'd get over it is if I did what scared me and stopped searching and washing. So I did. Now, sometimes the thought "I need to check this" pops up, but I don't check.

CodyMKW

Pro Squid
NNID
CodyMKW
Switch Friend Code
SW-2549-4631-6600
  • I'm 25 as of January 17th
  • I'm kinda shy
  • I love watching anime and playing Nintendo games mainly games like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart
  • I eat pretty much anything not really picky on what I eat
  • I love all animals
  • I'm a squid

Last edited:

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
-Gay, didn't really know I was until I just turned 15 (a year ago) mostly because I grew up thinking it was a horrible thing to be (which is something I want people to not put into their children's heads as we advance as a human race) even though I somehow was always attracted to my gender much more than woman... still is weird looking back on it
-Very weak mentality, I let things get to me, I take games too seriously, it's just really annoying to live with. Like just 2 matches where I get completely beaten by better players can ruin my day. It's pathetic. I find it best for me not to dive too deep into getting better at the game and it's why I don't play Ranked that much because I just can't mentally take it. Getting to S was a horrible experience for me.
-I love a lot of pop-ish singers (adele/shawn mendes/ellie goulding to name a few)
-I am h o r r i b l e at gaming.
-I have no solid irl friends because I don't take part in sports or band or any of the like. Not my cup of tea. Kinda unfortunate but nothing I can really change at this point.
-Splatoon and Twitter are my drugs.
-and tumblr is where i go to look at pretty things
-I love lights in the night time, like most sporting events at night are just so nice...
-I like NASCAR, not everyone's cup of tea.
-3 favorite times of year: Christmas, Daytona Speedweeks, and "Spring", in no order.
-Huge fan of the Avatar/Korra series
-PKSparkxx is my favorite gaming YouTuber.
-I'm very shy and awkward especially when someone talks to me when I'm thinking about something ;-;

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
Stuff about me, eh? Well...

-I'm 21
-I'm Figuring out what I really want to do (that's been a challenge)
-I'm a bit weird (And I like it XD)
-I'm VERY hard on myself
-I have a bit of social anxiety
-I often seclude myself from people
-Poor grammar irks me (looking at you people who use your instead of you're when necessary -3-)
-I'm a bit shy
-I have a procrastination habit
-My favorite color is red
-My favorite soda is Dr. Pepper (best soda ever XD)
-I love the Summer and despise Winter
-Currently in college
-I like to listen to instrumental music more than actual songs (thanks to all the video games I've played)
-I prefer Tropical Fruit Skittles (you know, the purple wrapper...)

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
And how, pray tell, does an adult act?

Nobody does. Everyone on this planet is winging it every day of their life.

The future is only an idea, and doesn't exist outside of that. It never has, and it never will. Why are you letting an idea stress you out?
wat

Ashmia

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-5925-5789-2185
Whelp, I'll join in on this too

-I'm 18
-I can speak, read, and write Japanese on an Intermediate level (I know all kana and approximately 410 kanji)
-College student hoping to get a Japanese major and work as a translator
-Diagnosed with severe social anxiety, but I am trying to work on my social skills
-I love winter and despise summer, despite being born in June
-I like to eat cold things in the winter
-Big Vocaloid fan, most of my songs are Vocaloid
-I love to read for fun, and on average I read about 200 books a year. That would include manga and rereads. Without that, it would be more like 120.
-Seriously, I love to read. I genuinely cried when the library near my house closed
-Favorite animal is a cow, because I'm born in the Zodiac year of the ox/cow. I love all animals though, even snakes
-I hate insects and especially spiders. Anything with 6 or more legs
-Occasionally cosplay. I have abysmal sewing skills, so I buy online
-Traditional/digital artist and writer
-Chocoholic and night owl

DawnDinosaur

Full Squid
NNID
dragonghostangel
Whelp, I'll join in on this too

-I'm 18
-I can speak, read, and write Japanese on an Intermediate level (I know all kana and approximately 410 kanji)
-College student hoping to get a Japanese major and work as a translator
-Diagnosed with severe social anxiety, but I am trying to work on my social skills
-I love winter and despise summer, despite being born in June
-I like to eat cold things in the winter
-Big Vocaloid fan, most of my songs are Vocaloid
-I love to read for fun, and on average I read about 200 books a year. That would include manga and rereads. Without that, it would be more like 120.
-Seriously, I love to read. I genuinely cried when the library near my house closed
-Favorite animal is a cow, because I'm born in the Zodiac year of the ox/cow. I love all animals though, even snakes
-I hate insects and especially spiders. Anything with 6 or more legs
-Occasionally cosplay. I have abysmal sewing skills, so I buy online
-Traditional/digital artist and writer
-Chocoholic and night owl
I'm curious since you say you're a traditional/digital artist- did you draw your avatar? Can I see your work? :)

YOJOEHOJO

Inkling
NNID
YOJOEHOJO
I saw this thread last night, but I was just so tired from staying up the night prior that making a post in here was just not a priority for me at the time. I'll join in now, though.

1. I have had a stroke at a very young age, meaning that part of my body isn't as effective as the other part. However, I have found ways around this more often than not. (This does mean I play Splatoon one handed, and without any modifications to the Gamepad.)
2. I am 19
3. I have 25 consoles and 170+ video games. (I'm including handhelds and a plug n' play within the count of consoles)
4. I am MTF
5. I aspire to be SOMETHING in the field of entertainment, I'm not sure what because I wish to try them all if I may. (Mostly though I wanna make something akin to video games or music)
6. I have a Youtube Channel under the same handle.
7. I don't like things that are talked of too much because usually what grabs people have the same tropes and gimmicks as previous things. Meaning that I give praise where it's due.
8. My favorite Band is Mindless Self Indulgence, but I also listen to They Might Be Giants a lot as well.
9. My Favorite game of this console generation is Splatoon by far and I have yet to see anything that measures up to it.

Last edited:

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
may as well...
- I'm between 12 and 20. (Not willing to give my exact age, sorry guys.)
- I tend to be a bit of a loner: Not really one for going out places.
- My hobbies include video games, coding, and piano.
- *When I manage to get my License, I've a feeling I'll enjoy night-time driving: the city skylines here are just breathtaking.
(*edited post: original comment's wording may have been misleading...)
- I listen to music pretty much 24/7. My tastes vary from time to time, but I'm accepting of almost any genre.
- I'm a bit of a Nintendo enthusiast: the only home console I don't have in my collection is the original NES.
- I'm a Mormon, and am accepting of all beliefs and religions.
....that's basically all I have at the moment.

Last edited:

YOJOEHOJO

Inkling
NNID
YOJOEHOJO
- I'm a bit of a Nintendo enthusiast: the only home console I don't have in my collection is the original NES. ...
Do you have a Virtual boy... ? I've been meaning to get one for my collection, but haven't had the chance to yet. (I mean, there are probably others you would be even less likely to have like the Game Color-TV 6 but I'm not interested in knowing if you actually do have nearly all of the Nintendo consoles. I just kinda wanna know how the Virtual boy is)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom