• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Global Splatfest: Fancy Party vs. Costume Party

Which team are you?

• Team Fancy Party!

Votes: 60 57.1%
  • Team Costume Party!

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • I don't know yet, but I'll pick one sometime

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • I'm not participating in this Splatfest.

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Did somebody say Combo Breaker? What a refreshing surprise. Soon as I saw that we were the popular team I groaned, then the wins result came up and I let out a loud WHAT. Truth be told, I've bought into the "popular=loss" myth for a while now, so it truly came as an utter shock. I actually achieved what I set out to do. Man, do I ever feel accomplished...

Say that it only happened because of the Japanese all you want (there ya go, @Award, I've saved you the trouble :p), but the fact remains that the trend hath been broken. I daresay we start a fancy squid party to celebrate.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
With all those matches I went through, I was sure Team Fancy would've lost. But oh well, shocked even if I didn't play on both accounts I'll still get snails. Props to both teams for doing their best really. I didn't have too much fun this splatfest, but still.

Last edited:

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
Let us start with the national anthem.

AHEM

It is with great honor and dignity that we accept our award for being the mostest fancifullest asljkflskjfklsjf

I lost 70% of my games because a teammate kept dcing this is not what I was expecting.

Tut Tut Cheerio

NovaScienceNever

Senior Squid
Today I learned not to pick my splatfest team on a whim. Careful analysis and well-educated guessing wins the Splatfest.

Babycowland

Semi-Pro Squid
Still, it was basically playing hours of normal Turf War without friends being able to drop in. I definitely, definitely don't want global Splatfests. Part of the Splatfest fun is having names you can read be your teammates and trying to bond with them. I couldn't even tell if my Japanese minions dropped out or kept going because the names all look the same to me anyway.
I sort of get what you mean. It can be difficult remembering Japanese names when you can't read the language at all.

That said, I actually really liked this Splatfest and hope that we have more global ones in the future. I think there's something really cool about teaming up with people half the world away and cooperating towards a common goal. Although we didn't speak the same language, I still felt like I could communicate with my teammates, even if it was just booyahing when they got a splat and c'moning when we were in the last minute of a match. Granted, my experience may have been different from yours; a lot of my Japanese teammates stuck with me a while.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
I had a feeling fancy would win, but I honestly don't feel like a winner. I suppose me backing out for the night was the right move??

I also played with mostly japanese players. (kanji and all), but...well, let's just say not every player is a winner :/

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Team Costume's shirt has a inkling in a hot dog costume.

Some hot dogs contain large amounts of sodium.

Sodium is often used as a term for salt.

Salty is how Team Costume felt after losing.

Iwoomynati confirmed.
Let's not forget, Team Hotdog lost its own Splatfest. Costume was doomed from the start.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I saw the popularity and was like "Crap."
It did seem fairly close though, I faced a lot of terrifying teams and oddly enough no fancy vs. fancy.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I played like garbage during the Splatfest, but hey, my team won! And I somehow ended up above the Splatfest power I started with (1600) despite two very long losing streaks.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Yay, Team Fancy won!

Told you guys Team Fancy was the way to go, and fortunately, most of y'all agreed.

This Splatfest wasn't as bad as Sandcastles or SpongeBob. Disconnections/lag were at a minimal, probably because I mostly played with sleep-deprived Japanese people. (I was playing between like 4:30 PM and 7:30 PM Eastern! They should be asleep!)

Still, it was basically playing hours of normal Turf War without friends being able to drop in. I definitely, definitely don't want global Splatfests. Part of the Splatfest fun is having names you can read be your teammates and trying to bond with them. I couldn't even tell if my Japanese minions dropped out or kept going because the names all look the same to me anyway.

I finished above 1400 (where I started) so obviously I helped Fancy's win rate, but getting from Champion to King was sooo much harder than Fanboy to Champion. I lost more than I won there.
Didn't play against my own team even once.
Personally I've always found it easier to bond with Japanese teams than western ones, even if I can't remember or read the names. The way they play, the communication via booyahs, they just seem more like you're part of the group. I just feel bad that all I can do is remember "yes, squggle,squiggle, backwards-C-thing,kinda-a-sideways-t is back on my team again!" Or just bucketguy for short.

Honestly, even though i was on team costume, i'm just glad the popular team won even if the japanese had to get involved to break that ****ty trend. Man did i suck this splatfest. I only remember doing well in a handfull of matches. I managed to win more than i lost (since my splatfest power was a little above starting point) and a lot of the matches i won was because i got carried hard :(. And it didn't help much that ancho-v games was in rotation, one of my worst maps. The japenese are really good at turf wars, that's for sure. i was not prepared for the *** kicking i was about to receiveo_O. Besides the servers going kapoot a few hours in, i never had any connection issues. It pretty much went as smoothly as any other day i play against japanese players.
TW is my strong point probably because I spent so many months playing only TW mostly with Japanese players. And trust me, not all Japanese are good at TW....not the ones on my TW fancy teams ;) They were downright awful :P I did my best to make Fancy lose. Lost every game for like 5 hours.... Even carrying hard I couldn't win.

That's your cue @Award ! Write the Great American Theory! ;)
Nah, no consipracies on this one. Japan was in and they outnumber everyone else 8:1 in this game. Japan Splatfest meta was always going to be the applicable on :)

fuchsia

Full Squid
NNID
fuchsiaplays
Yeah, I know. It´s still weird how no matter what time of the day you play, you will always encounter japanese people who don´t seem to mind playing even very late at night. I don´t think I could play that well at 3 AM.
to be fair, not everyone has a 9-5 schedule. some people might work overnights so they're up during the night on their days off, some might just have messed up sleep schedules [i did for a long while, still do on the weekends]. maybe some people get home from work, fall asleep, and then wake up and play splatoon before going to work in the morning. i have a friend who wakes up at 3am because he falls asleep at 7-8pm. no reason, that's just his body's sleep schedule!

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
Not being jealous or anything but... THI PARTY IS DONE AND OVER WITH! MAKE AN UPDATE FOR THE NEW ONE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom