• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Global Splatfest: Fancy Party vs. Costume Party

Which team are you?

• Team Fancy Party!

Votes: 60 57.1%
  • Team Costume Party!

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • I don't know yet, but I'll pick one sometime

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • I'm not participating in this Splatfest.

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
e-e Oh... you were one of THOSE people. -sips coffee while glaring at you- (XD)

I'm totally drawing that expression now. XD
Based on context from the previous post he made about his alts as his main is on Costume, an alt on Costume and another alt on Fancy, this is more like a joke because he mentioned he struggled on his Fancy account, not that he was being an actual saboteur...

I hope.

dapperlace

Pro Squid
On the subject of Japanese players, due to the hours I played, I found myself playing with them a lot. Not to mention their overwhelming numbers made them my teammates more often than not. They get very into it! I had quite a bit of fun. I know "Booyah!" isn't what they see on their own screen, but they were still very enthusiastic at the start of matches, when they saw me get kills, all that jazz. I wish I could read hiragana and katakana at least. As others said, I can't remember names I can't even read. ;;

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
See any names you recognize? ;)
Well... I wasn't buying into the theory that the Top 200 would be overwhelmingly Japan-dominated, but now I've got to take that back. At the absolute most, I'd say there are 3 Westerners in Fancy and 4 in Costume, perhaps one or two fewer (based on what I've gathered about what Japanese names using Latin characters look like).

Perhaps we need to start taking TW more seriously in the West? I don't believe that it's an uncompetitive game mode; probably disadvantages a few weapons, but we see a Hydra in 3rd place overall, so...

dapperlace

Pro Squid
I think people underestimate Splatlings quite a bit. I used it for a good while on my first account and that thing can be monstrous in Turf Wars, especially depending on the map. On multiple occasions, on the Splatfest after the Heavy Splatling came out. I cornered the opposing team at their base in Camp Triggerfish, provided they didn't have a charger.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I think people underestimate Splatlings quite a bit. I used it for a good while on my first account and that thing can be monstrous in Turf Wars, especially depending on the map. On multiple occasions, on the Splatfest after the Heavy Splatling came out. I cornered the opposing team at their base in Camp Triggerfish, provided they didn't have a charger.
I do have a terrible habit of pretty much charging into Heavies and Hydras head-on, not expecting them to be able both to charge up and land enough shots before I take them out. But from personal experience with the Hydra, I really struggle to imagine it having clear advantages in TW, more so than the two lighter Splatlings.

dapperlace

Pro Squid
The Hydra is a bit tougher to handle for me as well, but I also haven't put as much time into it as I did with the Heavy. Anyone who can use that thing well is probably capable of some really scary stuff.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The Hydra is a bit tougher to handle for me as well, but I also haven't put as much time into it as I did with the Heavy. Anyone who can use that thing well is probably capable of some really scary stuff.
I'm friends with a Hydra main, and on good days he goes 20-1. Just sayin'.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Except for the occasional squidbagging jerk--often a blaster or charger--I enjoy playing with Japanese players. They will "Booyah" back in rank!

Oh splatlings~!

There's joy and excitement on Rainmaker and Tower Control maps when the home stretch is a bottleneck. Whether my team is defending the knockout or making it and I have a full charge at the ready... mmm~ makes me quiver.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
Based on context from the previous post he made about his alts as his main is on Costume, an alt on Costume and another alt on Fancy, this is more like a joke because he mentioned he struggled on his Fancy account, not that he was being an actual saboteur...

I hope.
Ahhhh... I see. My mistake. XD

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Who has the free time to get to 2916 Splatfest Power? That's like starting from S+, then winning over 100 games in a row.

Suprised two top 5 people used the L-3 D. Haven't really used it much since the Burst Bomb nerf, I probally should try it again with some :ability_inksaversub:

But from personal experience with the Hydra, I really struggle to imagine it having clear advantages in TW, more so than the two lighter Splatlings.
With the recent Hydra buff, that thing has a crazy kill speed at full charge. It splats about as fast as a sploosh at charger range, provided you charge up. Also, although the standard Hydra isn't very good at TW, the custom's sprinklers help a lot with inking turf.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
A thought. What determines what weapon and gear are displayed here? Is it just what was last equipped before the Splatfest finished? Someone could play normally, reach 4th place and then equip the H-3 to mess with people reading the display.
Who has the free time to get to 2916 Splatfest Power? That's like starting from S+, then winning over 100 games in a row.
Valid point, in fact. The Splatfest lasted, say, 30 hours (close enough). Accounting for matchmaking time and being optimistic, that's not time for much more than 450 games in total. For a record like that after those games, taking into consideration the boost from "most turf inked per game", one would have to win 275, lose 175. But... that's not actually crazily unrealistic, is it? It's an 11:7 win:loss ratio, just 61% victories, which is nothing compared to what's required for S+99, 71%. In fact, with a 71% win ratio, you can get 100 more wins than losses in around 250 games. And there's nothing stopping two or more people from playing in rotation in order to maximise the time spent battling, other than the availability of two suitably-skilled players in the same location.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
A thought. What determines what weapon and gear are displayed here? Is it just what was last equipped before the Splatfest finished? Someone could play normally, reach 4th place and then equip the H-3 to mess with people reading the display.

Valid point, in fact. The Splatfest lasted, say, 30 hours (close enough). Accounting for matchmaking time and being optimistic, that's not time for much more than 450 games in total. For a record like that after those games, taking into consideration the boost from "most turf inked per game", one would have to win 275, lose 175. But... that's not actually crazily unrealistic, is it? It's an 11:7 win:loss ratio, just 61% victories, which is nothing compared to what's required for S+99, 71%. In fact, with a 71% win ratio, you can get 100 more wins than losses in around 250 games. And there's nothing stopping two or more people from playing in rotation in order to maximise the time spent battling, other than the availability of two suitably-skilled players in the same location.
It's crazily unrealistic to play for 31 hours straight.

I know from experience.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242

See any names you recognize? ;)
i have to admit. if there's one weapon i did not expect to make the top 5 list, it would be the L-3 Nozzlenose. now i'm not saying it's a bad weapon, it's freaking amazing, but there's so few players who uses them i didn't think even one would make it, but it made it on both sides with one even being first. and the list is pretty much what i'd expect it to be like. ~95% Japanese and some names that use latin letters could very well be japanese as well. i really wanna get on the top 5 next splatfest. hopefully there'll be stages i'm actually good on.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
It's crazily unrealistic to play for 31 hours straight.
But, based on my calculations, playing at S+ 99 win-rates, split between two people, you 'only' need around 9 hours each, which can further be split into shifts. I know for a fact that I've played that long in a single day, or at least come close...

It's unlikely that all top 10 players had such a system. Still, the Japanese timetable was actually very convenient, giving them effectively two days of play (in the UK, for example, we only really had the Saturday); it's realistic that a single person could spend 9 hours a day across that weekend turfing, and less is required for all but the very top 3~5.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Jeez, and I thought I took Splatfests too seriously... almost 3000 in Splatfest power? I must say, that's pretty darned impressive. Props, Mr. Da-i-na-mo-so-flat note! (I think that's what it's supposed to be.)

While I would fully side with @Cuttleshock here (because it's evident that not many of us were good enough to rank in the top 100 alongside the Japanese), I also can't help but think that our poor showing is a result of the lack of players in the NA and EU/OC regions to begin with. So this is either an impetus for more people to pick up the game and git gud, or one for our existing players to get even better.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I've played with a few people from "cain" before. They're great players and super fun to play with. Many of them are tough to beat as well. I am both happy and sad that I didn't see any of them during this Splatfest. I'm not at all surprised that three of them made it into the Top 100 players haha. :p I kind of wish they had separated the Top 100 by region. It would have been interesting to see which players were able to make the top in each region. ^.^

Perhaps we need to start taking TW more seriously in the West? I don't believe that it's an uncompetitive game mode; probably disadvantages a few weapons, but we see a Hydra in 3rd place overall, so...
The Custom Hydra is a very underrated weapon for Turf War. It can actually very easily score the top spot on a team with its kit. When I'm using it during Turf War, I'm often first or second in Turf Points because I can abuse my Sprinkler for additional points. We're a lot more useful in Turf War than people think lol. :p It's nice to see unconventional weapons in the top spots though - ignoring the four Dynamos of course. x) It shows how useful and powerful a weapon can be when used skillfully.

I was able to get close to the 1800s and started getting paired with them... The Westerners have an obvious difference than Japanese players. Japanese players were more likely to paint our base fully instead of rushing forward. Foreigners, however, were more likely to rush forward and attack. This usually put their teams at a disadvantage. There was less turf to move in and their "rushes" often failed miserably because the other team could see them coming. I think that largely, Turf War is underestimated in Western countries and people try to treat it far too much like Ranked.... It seems a lot of foreign players forget that painting the ground is kind of the entire point of Turf War. :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom