Global Testfire General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyouzou

Inkling
NNID
kyouzou
roller jousts are cool. I like the splattershot jr. for rushing. And to the guy in my lobby who got 13 kills and 700 points with a charger wow you're good. 10/10 would preorder again.

Fakevox

Senior Squid
roller jousts are cool. I like the splattershot jr. for rushing. And to the guy in my lobby who got 13 kills and 700 points with a charger wow you're good. 10/10 would preorder again.
Highest I got was like, 11 kills and around 900 points or something, but I'm gonna pretend like that guy was me. Thanks!

Agro

Inkling
My thoughts:
  • I started to get used to the controls a few games in, but the day I can use no tilt controls can't come soon enough. I was fighting myself with the tilt and right stick to turn the direction I needed without missing an opponent. Hopefully there's also sensitivity in turning left or right, as that's definitely needed.
  • The rest of the game felt good. I won all but 2 matches, and could win even if I felt I didn't play well just due to how Turf Wars functions.
  • So I learned something about strategy very very quickly in that larger stages are going to rely not just on covering opponent ink, but also making sure that you cover your side of the level to a higher percent than your opponent. There are so many ways you can travel about Saltspray Rig, that you're going to have players cutting into your territory all the time so there's easy back and forth of the line between teams. It comes down more to which side covers the most area of the rig that doesn't see much change in color.
  • But thinner levels, like Walleye Warehouse (I think that's the name) where there's generally just one way to go to cover turf in the level, are ones where you're whole team is going to want to just get out and go. You're always spraying paint in front of you, so no matter what direction you go, you're going to get that direction covered in paint. It means that when you die, you'll always be traveling on that same path over to the other side's base, letting you cover the lane more and more as the game progresses. In the games I played there, the winner was always the team that set the line of battle at the start of the game furthest into opponent's territory, and it wasn't even close. It's hard to turn the tide as well, since you can just super jump to your team if you die and continue giving them support. The two games there, I played both this and the Saltspray Rig strategy and the difference in paint covered was about a 60% margin.
  • Squid Jump was actually kinda great to pass the time while waiting for the match to start. It's just basically a mobile game, but I really liked it.
  • But I didn't like playing it for 10 straight minutes. Yeah, that happened to me. Our lobby couldn't get the 8 players required so the countdown timer just kept resetting at 120. Myself and the twitch chat just got bored out of our minds. The worst part was that there wasn't a way to quit the lobby. The + button ran Squid Jump, the - button did nothing, and the home button was locked! I had to turn my Wii U off and back on again to play the last 2 games I got before the game shut down for the evening.

kyouzou

Inkling
NNID
kyouzou
Highest I got was like, 11 kills and around 900 points or something, but I'm gonna pretend like that guy was me. Thanks!
lol my best kill wise is 11 and 1067 points but thats with splattershot jr on the really small map.

FatReuniclus

Full Squid
NNID
Sillykola
I kind of hope the match choosing at least tries to limit use of Roller, e.g. cycles Rollers to seperate teams more often or puts them into Rollerless matches.

Either way, a good strategy would be to follow and protect your own team's Roller with a ranged weapon.

Fakevox

Senior Squid
My thoughts:
  • I started to get used to the controls a few games in, but the day I can use no tilt controls can't come soon enough. I was fighting myself with the tilt and right stick to turn the direction I needed without missing an opponent. Hopefully there's also sensitivity in turning left or right, as that's definitely needed.
You were able to turn it off and adjust sensitivity, though the options menu was only accessible at the main menu.

lol my best kill wise is 11 and 1067 points but thats with splattershot jr on the really small map.
I went in expecting to only use the Charger, and that's exactly what I did.

I'm now officially the president of the Splat Charger Fan Club.

CyberHyperPhoenix

Senior Squid
My thoughts:
  • The rest of the game felt good. I won all but 2 matches, and could win even if I felt I didn't play well just due to how Turf Wars functions.
  • So I learned something about strategy very very quickly in that larger stages are going to rely not just on covering opponent ink, but also making sure that you cover your side of the level to a higher percent than your opponent. There are so many ways you can travel about Saltspray Rig, that you're going to have players cutting into your territory all the time so there's easy back and forth of the line between teams. It comes down more to which side covers the most area of the rig that doesn't see much change in color.
  • But thinner levels, like Walleye Warehouse (I think that's the name) where there's generally just one way to go to cover turf in the level, are ones where you're whole team is going to want to just get out and go. You're always spraying paint in front of you, so no matter what direction you go, you're going to get that direction covered in paint. It means that when you die, you'll always be traveling on that same path over to the other side's base, letting you cover the lane more and more as the game progresses. In the games I played there, the winner was always the team that set the line of battle at the start of the game furthest into opponent's territory, and it wasn't even close. It's hard to turn the tide as well, since you can just super jump to your team if you die and continue giving them support. The two games there, I played both this and the Saltspray Rig strategy and the difference in paint covered was about a 60% margin.
  • Squid Jump was actually kinda great to pass the time while waiting for the match to start. It's just basically a mobile game, but I really liked it.
  • But I didn't like playing it for 10 straight minutes. Yeah, that happened to me. Our lobby couldn't get the 8 players required so the countdown timer just kept resetting at 120. Myself and the twitch chat just got bored out of our minds. The worst part was that there wasn't a way to quit the lobby. The + button ran Squid Jump, the - button did nothing, and the home button was locked! I had to turn my Wii U off and back on again to play the last 2 games I got before the game shut down for the evening.
You can use control stick only controls in the demo.

zack4812

Inkling
NNID
zack4812
It was awesome. I mainly got the most points on my team and just spent my time killing the other team. Some matches I tried to cover the land with ink but I ended up dying alot.

I liked the weapons, except for the sniper one, which I was horrible at.

Linkfreak404

Full Squid
NNID
linkfreak404
Got done playing the demo. It was WAY more fun than I thought it was gonna be. I don't like the Gyroscope controls though. Of course I just figured out you could turn it off in the menu as soon as the demo ended. :mad:

Even when I lost some matches, I still had a ton of fun! I am convinced that this game will do very well when its released! It really feels like Splatoon is the next Team Fortress 2 when it comes to visuals, gear and maps! Or maybe I'm just getting a little too excited. lol

Oh, and the pink ink makes me want to drink Strawberry milk. :confused:

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
I really enjoyed the demo. The splattershot Jr weaponset ended up being my best one. Followed by the stupidly fun roller. The last match I had was hilarious. My team had nearly the entire map inked and the opposing team holed up near their spawn for the last like half a minute. Was gloriously one sided.

Agro

Inkling
You were able to turn it off and adjust sensitivity, though the options menu was only accessible at the main menu.
THAT is really good to know. Also a shame that you couldn't change your loadout or settings in the lobby.

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
CTF would be incredible in Splatoon. Having squid mode allows for more of a focus on map controller and having efficient and effective routes for teammates to protect the flag carrier. Assuming you wouldn't be able to go into squid mode with the flag

Fakevox

Senior Squid
THAT is really good to know. Also a shame that you couldn't change your loadout or settings in the lobby.
Yeah, immediately after the tutorial I went looking for a way to turn gyro controls off. I was annoyed that you couldn't adjust sensitivity controls mid-match, though. I had to back out and adjust in between matches until I finally settled on one setting.

MrRoidley

Full Squid
Overall, my impressions were positive.
  • Couldn't choose a favorite weapon, but I think that Splatrollers are more suited for Turf War while Splatchargers are more for Tower Control or Splat Zones. The Splatshooters are more all around.
  • Rollers do need a nerf, as most people think. imo just making them slower would be good
  • Motion controls is my way to go except with the Splatroller. (You can switch it off at the Options menu btw!)
  • I think I'll enjoy with Splatchargers with scope more.
  • the Warehouse was my favorite stage, mostly because I already developed a few strategies/way of acting and they work better there :P
  • Absolutely no lag, but connection dropping was more frequent than it should be. Getting back after it was also a pain sometimes. I'm sure they'll shrug these problems until release though.

Deru

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Derick
Beyond impressed with the demo we got tonight.

Really liked how certain strategies worked depending on the stage, despite a lot of my games having mostly rollers. Yeah, it's powerful but it's so slow and you're basically a sitting duck to someone at a higher vantage point. That, and you can just back away in your ink and get them before they even come close. I stayed with the splattershot most games and used the charger a bit. I think the charger might even be better to cover area than the roller!

Now to sleep for a few hours to enjoy it tomorrow morning again. Totally sold now.

CyberHyperPhoenix

Senior Squid
Why do people think that rollers need to be nerfed again?

The loadout has its weaknesses, like being susceptible to getting rekt by chargers, etc.

If the Dynamo roller was as fast as the standard roller was, then I would agree that it should get nerfed.

FatReuniclus

Full Squid
NNID
Sillykola
Also, think of the Charger as the Roller's natural enemy, especially the scoped one later on. Stay in a high, but preferably secluded area and check your "tower's" walls every now and then. Splatoon may not have a Deathmatch yet, but taking out Rollers is a good cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom