• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Goodbye Old Meta (Patch 2.7.0 is Insane!)

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I definitely have to say that the special depletion is making me stay away from the weapons in the Heavy category, I played the Tentatek for one match with 1 main, 3 subs of Special Saver and I still struggled to charge my special, since that isn't enough to bring up the special lost to a reasonable amount. So this is one of the reasons why I want to learn the Wasabi, I wasn't maining the Tentatek for quite some time before this update, but now I've lost interest completely. The Wasabi has a more flexible sub, and can be used in more ways than the Suction Bomb, and the Inkstrike is a special I do like, because it has potential when used in less "boring" ways (doing predictable bog-standard things with it). At the moment, I am looking at the following weapons being in my line up:

1. Wasabi Splattershot
2. Neo Splash-o-Matic (Nice kit, and with its buffs it's even better, have been learning for a while now)
3. Soda Slosher (Love its set, and the colour scheme is amazing, just need to play better with this weapon to unleash its potential)
4. Slosher Deco (Started learning and need to play it more, but I prefer it to .96 Deco since it has a Light Special Loss and is more balanced in my eyes)
5. Custom Jet Squelcher (I've seen Dude play really well with this weapon, and I've been interested in it for a while, but haven't got round to picking it up)
6. Custom Hydra (After getting salty at it last night, I picked it up and tried it in Turf, and I enjoy it with a Run/Swim build, went 8-1 in my first match on Bluefin)
7. Tempered Dynamo (Nice kit, and doesn't fall in the Heavy Special loss, I do like playing the Dynamo, and this is my favourite version)
8. Custom Blaster (A weapon I picked up for Tower a while back, and would like to bring it back and improve)

Those are the main 8 for now, and its quite a varied list. 3 Guns, 2 Mid-range (Splash-o-Matic barely outranged by the Splattershot now) and a Long Range in the form of the Jet. The Jet is really good, since it has amazing range and accuracy, and I enjoyed playing it recently as well. 2 Sloshers are there, both in the same category. I did like the Tri-Slosher, but it's kind of irrelevant since the Zimi outranges it, and I dislike the short range, it could do with a slight range buff. The Sloshing Machine feels like its fighting against me all the time, and it has a really high learning curve, and I'm not taking it into Ranked unless I start squadding with other S/S+ players in Twins and decide to learn it. The Deco is really nice for trapping on narrow pathway maps (quite a few of those) and the Kraken protects it when threatened in CRC. The Soda is literally too good for words, and a main reason for staying away from both SMs, since it takes the sub of the Vanilla, and the Special of the Neo, and combines into a fair superior package. That leaves a Splatling, a Blaster and a Roller, each of which with their own merits.

From that point I'm going to consider other possibilities, such as the Rapid Blaster and its Deco variant, the Heavy Splatling Deco and the SSPros. The Splattershot Pro is really nice, but I want to learn it once I've mastered the 8 above, so I can apply a combination of playstyles and tactics into this one weapon to do well with it, since I feel like I only do it justice in Turf War, when it's clearly meant for Ranked. I'll probably take the Tempered into Ranked later since Zones on Mackerel is happening, and the Seekers can help me approach their side of the map to harass them and attempt to take the zone.

kesterstudios

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kesterstudios
I'm glad they buffed the Hydra, but the buff it got wasn't the buff I wanted. The buff gives the Hydra a TTK of 11 frames, making it have the fastest TTK in the game when fully charged beating the .52 Gal and Carbon Roller. Include the long range the Hydra has, a 3HKO is a bit op on this weapon.

If it were up to me, I would've given the Hydra 2 buffs:

1. Slightly longer range like about 4% more, so it can match the Splat Charger again and there's more of a difference between this weapon's range and the Heavy's range.

2. Reduced charge time for the first level, so like 91 frames to fully charge the first level instead of 109 frames. The problem with the Hydra's charge time is that its unbalanced. The Hydra's full charge time is fine and not too long, but the time it takes to fully charge to the first level is way too long compared to the other Splatlings. The other Splatlings' charge time is about 67% for the first level and about 33% for the second level, but the Hydra is like 80% for the first level and 20% for the second. It shouldn't be this way. Having the Hydra fully charge the first level faster is a great and more balanced buff, because it can reach its max range faster. The second level will be longer to charge, but that doesn't really matter.

This also balances well with the Swim Speed nerf.

Last edited:

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
After using the 3K for a bit, I'm starting to get used to it more. More of my shots are fully charged and with 2 damage ups, I'm also usually able to take care of enemies up close too. I usually stick with some quick super jumps, but If I don't use that then I will use a swim speed up which helps make up for the speed nerf.

I still accidentally shoot too early at times though.

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
Getting used to the Splatterscope's new dead zone was a challenge. Kinda frustrating, felt like lag misses at first. However the gun's short game seems intact, and the new range bonus scratches some itches that I've had for quite some time.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
After using the 3K for a bit, I'm starting to get used to it more. More of my shots are fully charged and with 2 damage ups, I'm also usually able to take care of enemies up close too. I usually stick with some quick super jumps, but If I don't use that then I will use a swim speed up which helps make up for the speed nerf.

I still accidentally shoot too early at times though.
Yeah. I was having a brutal time in ranked yesterday on alt #2 starting in A-30. Fresh Squiffer in Zones. I love it. I was doing great. And every time I had the usual pattern of a POS team that's spread across the map (and deep in enemy territory) while the other team moves as a cohesive unit (this game does this INTENTIONALLY...no amount of "bad luck" accounts for that.) Tried Custom Hydra - did really well some matches, but Hydra fails still when you have 3 squids against you and no allies to help. If there's nothing to distract opponents you're still SOL. So I had to go full rambo and run the whole match myself. The new Permanent Inkbrush is a DEVASTATING weapon for carrying the incompetents on your team. Piranha & Flounder zones I won Every. Single. Match, mostly carrying it myself more times than not (had a few rounds with great teammates where I just got to sit and camp a bit and act as support, the rest I had to relentlessly mad dash like it was 1v4 or 2v4.)

Then change to TC - I take out my eliter. I've learned that after the nerf, I think I have to switch to Vanilla eliter. I miss my beacons, but custom no longer has a purpose to exist anymore particularly the scope. At least with burst bombs vanilla still has some tricks up its sleeve. And burst bombs are now less spammy/noob/cheating and more of a serious sub so I don't feel like as much of a tool for using it :P

So I do well for a while....great k/d, rode the tower to the end myself (and sniped from on the tower for a change!) Went well. Then suddenly it all changed, most of my shots start going through people (lag?) or "just missing" causing me to try to do partial shots (but wait, no more range?!) and I lost 6 out of 6 matches from that point on from A70 to A8. Granted the teams were woefully imbalanced (as usual) and my teams managed to squander 35-63 leads in the last 40 seconds EVERY SINGLE ROUND. But still, I could have carried them a lot better if not for the lame nerfs that prevent me from shooting repeatedly at the tower rapidly enough in the absence of competent teammates and worse in conjunction with "ghost squids" who can't get shot. I was fine with the nerf at first, but by the end and that losing streak I was cursing it out again. It makes it harder to carry a team with eliter. And with the broken matchmaker in solo, 85% of the time you NEED to carry your team.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
The new Permanent Inkbrush is a DEVASTATING weapon for carrying the incompetents on your team.
*spends the next minute or two laughing like a hyena*

puddn02

Inkling
NNID
lyokowarrior02
This fundamentally makes the .96 a long range .52, very similar spread, that is what they tried to do, make the spread the same, so visualize the spread of the .52, and this should be similar, albeit a little worse due to the range.
the 96 ga;. is pretty much worthless now

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
the 96 ga;. is pretty much worthless now
When it comes to community standards..... The .96 Gal was never worth much at all. xD It's Sprinkler/Echolocater set was never appreciated on the .96 like it was seriously appreciated on the Dynamo Roller. It was a force when used right and it can still be a forced when used right. The .96 Gal Deco though.... Nothing has changed. The only thing about the .96 Gal Deco that has changed is it does require a bit more skill. Honestly... It balances out. It can be countered by Defense Up. However.... It is more accurate now. More shots will hit. So you may have to take that third shot but it shouldn't cause too much trouble. It's not really a big deal if you were able to use the .96 Gal Deco at a higher skill level instead of just picking it up and shooting with hope it would hit something. o.o

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
I was hoping that this patch would lessen the 3k eliters use...but boy was I wrong.

I was on my alt leveling up my splatfest T, S rank I'm at on there. And I see 3k eliters...legit...I saw most of them spamming the burst bombs instead of even bothering to shoot. I even had one on the opposing team who came up to me, and tried to burst bomb me to death, only to fail. I see so many people still trying to burst bomb spam it's ridiculous.

Like uh...did I miss something?

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I was hoping that this patch would lessen the 3k eliters use...but boy was I wrong.

I was on my alt leveling up my splatfest T, S rank I'm at on there. And I see 3k eliters...legit...I saw most of them spamming the burst bombs instead of even bothering to shoot. I even had one on the opposing team who came up to me, and tried to burst bomb me to death, only to fail. I see so many people still trying to burst bomb spam it's ridiculous.

There's quite a few people who don't read patch notes, so they probably didn't know about the patch. Either that or just bad old habits.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
There's quite a few people who don't read patch notes, so they probably didn't know about the patch. Either that or just bad old habits.
Some had subsavers, some had damage up and subsavers, and some ran just standard damage up. But it was about every eliter I encountered who tried the bomb spam.

Award

If it's TW I'm guessing it's a mix of the ones who don't know about the nerfs yet, plus new people trying out eliters - but mostly eliter mains who are experimenting and trying to figure out how to acclimate post-nerf eliters to their old bomb spam skill set.

Or like me a Custom Eliter main who was nerfed into oblivion who is now trying to learn how to be a New Burst Bomb Main in the post patch world after they broke my lovely weapon :(

You only get two...but the good thing is you now only need two :)

Archæa

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ArchaeaNFS
To be honest, I think this patch is a great thing for Splatoon. The E-Liter "nerf" isn't even that big of a deal, people are just going to either have to use the weapon the way it was originally intended to be used without the semi-exploit of damage up stacking or use the splat charger (whose range fully charged is now almost that of an uncharged E-Liter). Also the burst bomb nerf is much needed, as in some cases burst spamming was more effective than some main weapons. Also in the week or so since the patch, we've already seen a massive influx of the Berry Pro in professional games. I personally can't speak for sloshers, or the inkbrush but I doubt that they will have much of an impact since they are rarely used in professional play. I expect to see many more Hydra users in the meta now with its buff.

Something interesting I've noticed, there seems to be many less .96 users in competitive games as of this patch. I was wondering if this is because of many people being scared off by its "nerf" (the accuracy buff more than makes up for the damage downgrade imo) or they just see other weapons as being more attractive now?

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
If it's TW I'm guessing it's a mix of the ones who don't know about the nerfs yet, plus new people trying out eliters - but mostly eliter mains who are experimenting and trying to figure out how to acclimate post-nerf eliters to their old bomb spam skill set.

Or like me a Custom Eliter main who was nerfed into oblivion who is now trying to learn how to be a New Burst Bomb Main in the post patch world after they broke my lovely weapon :(

You only get two...but the good thing is you now only need two :)
What made it sad was...I was in Rank...S rank...some people had subsavers, some a mix of subsavers and damage up, and then some who ran the standard damage up. Despite the increase of the damage and radius of the bombs...they'd still never splat me. So it's quite sad to see them do that.

I'm honestly already easily accustomed to the nerf. I never spammed the burst bombs anyway. If someone gets close, I burst bomb than shoot, or vice versa and 90% of the time I splat the opponent. Hopefully you'll be able to deal with it. But I'm sorry your precious eliter was sent to the grave. May it see brighter days.

Award

To be honest, I think this patch is a great thing for Splatoon. The E-Liter "nerf" isn't even that big of a deal, people are just going to either have to use the weapon the way it was originally intended to be used without the semi-exploit of damage up stacking or use the splat charger (whose range fully charged is now almost that of an uncharged E-Liter). Also the burst bomb nerf is much needed, as in some cases burst spamming was more effective than some main weapons. Also in the week or so since the patch, we've already seen a massive influx of the Berry Pro in professional games. I personally can't speak for sloshers, or the inkbrush but I doubt that they will have much of an impact since they are rarely used in professional play. I expect to see many more Hydra users in the meta now with its buff.
The trouble is the weapon as it was originally intended is a role that doesn't actually work in the competitive meta at all. it HAS to be used differently. I suppose it works in the voice chat clan world...but then that role in itself isn't a role that was intended.

I won't disagree that the damage stacking had to be fixed, but they way they did it wasn't the right way to do it.

Burst bombs are fine though.

What made it sad was...I was in Rank...S rank...some people had subsavers, some a mix of subsavers and damage up, and then some who ran the standard damage up. Despite the increase of the damage and radius of the bombs...they'd still never splat me. So it's quite sad to see them do that.

I'm honestly already easily accustomed to the nerf. I never spammed the burst bombs anyway. If someone gets close, I burst bomb than shoot, or vice versa and 90% of the time I splat the opponent. Hopefully you'll be able to deal with it. But I'm sorry your precious eliter was sent to the grave. May it see brighter days.
Custom was destroyed but at least vanilla is still playable. The new problem though is with all the bombs around the game is becoming annoying....but worse SOMETHING somewhere broke, and I've yet to win much of anything in ranked since the patch. It's not that the other teams seem amazing. It's that I'm generally facing them alone due to clueless teammates. Before losses were common. Now, losses by KO are common.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Custom was destroyed but at least vanilla is still playable. The new problem though is with all the bombs around the game is becoming annoying....but worse SOMETHING somewhere broke, and I've yet to win much of anything in ranked since the patch. It's not that the other teams seem amazing. It's that I'm generally facing them alone due to clueless teammates. Before losses were common. Now, losses by KO are common.
I think 2.7 took E-Liter's emergency button: Burst Bomb Assault.
Do you feel many persons are clueless now? Do you think it's because they're testing new weapons trying to fit their roles on that team?

Award

I think 2.7 took E-Liter's emergency button: Burst Bomb Assault.
Do you feel many persons are clueless now? Do you think it's because they're testing new weapons trying to fit their roles on that team?
Heh, the ironic thing is, for my play, I feel burst bombs are STRONGER now. Because of the nerf I had to leave custom eliter behind much like the early dynamo nerfs forced you to leave dynamo behind, but I found I can still use it in the vanilla flavor now....and I find burst bombs far more effective than pre-patch. I never spammed them, I aimed them. And aimed, they're quite deadly now and more lag resistant. So in "nerfing" the vanilla's bombinb, they made it a stronger weapon (and crippled custom which nobody was complaining about.) Kind of like what they did to .96.

Hmm, it does seem like many are clueless....though it also seems that it's mostly MY team that is clueless...the other team generally doesn't seem to be (though they're seldom excellent, etiher, they're just excellent compared to my teammates.) What I HAVE seen is hordes of splash-o-matics and nzaps and the now seriously OP carbon rollers....and usually more of them on the other side. It's hard to say if it's adapatation to the weapons though if it's affecting one team more. I'm a player with TWO S rank accounts, and for me to, on my third alt lose consistently down from upper A to almost B+ with scarce few wins between....something is amiss now.

It also seems like there's too many bombs. Most of my deaths have come from swimming forward and a bomb is thrown right in my way, and I can't reverse fast enough to avoid it under momentum.....some rounds that gets me 8, 9 times.

UBERU-5

Senpai in the sheets ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
NNID
SgtUBERUU
Heh, the ironic thing is, for my play, I feel burst bombs are STRONGER now. Because of the nerf I had to leave custom eliter behind much like the early dynamo nerfs forced you to leave dynamo behind, but I found I can still use it in the vanilla flavor now....and I find burst bombs far more effective than pre-patch. I never spammed them, I aimed them. And aimed, they're quite deadly now and more lag resistant. So in "nerfing" the vanilla's bombinb, they made it a stronger weapon (and crippled custom which nobody was complaining about.) Kind of like what they did to .96.

Hmm, it does seem like many are clueless....though it also seems that it's mostly MY team that is clueless...the other team generally doesn't seem to be (though they're seldom excellent, etiher, they're just excellent compared to my teammates.) What I HAVE seen is hordes of splash-o-matics and nzaps and the now seriously OP carbon rollers....and usually more of them on the other side. It's hard to say if it's adapatation to the weapons though if it's affecting one team more. I'm a player with TWO S rank accounts, and for me to, on my third alt lose consistently down from upper A to almost B+ with scarce few wins between....something is amiss now.

It also seems like there's too many bombs. Most of my deaths have come from swimming forward and a bomb is thrown right in my way, and I can't reverse fast enough to avoid it under momentum.....some rounds that gets me 8, 9 times.
i do agree the burst bombs have become stronger cause of the radius buff o3o
carbons do consume much less ink every swing but still not difficult to deal with. far from op
i'm still seeing many dynamos, just gotta play differently, add some swim speed if the only speed nerf bugs you
going custom eliter, add swim speed and special charge up.
and saying you got two S ranks is kinda meh. cause of the inflations of S ranks
http://www.evanmiller.org/splatoons-ranking-system-is-still-broken.html

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Rank is nothing to me now. I had stated after I got my S, I wouldn't do rank anymore, but it was the fastest way to level up my T, so I went with it, and regretted it. I loss my matches and rank because I couldn't find my teammates anywhere to help. There were some things I could've prevented, so I take fault in that. So when I went to regain my S rank, the last match, for 5 minutes, we legit had a standoff. It was SZ Piranha Pit, and neither team was able to capture the other one's zones. So it ended in a draw, but Judd put my team the victor. None of my S rank matches were than intense, so it's clear to say Rank is still awful and NEEDS to be fixed soon.

And yeah, I can say that there has been more bombs than usual lately. It's great people are finally using them strategically...or maybe because of panic, but man...so many bombs everywhere. That's why I have bombsniffer on my alt, or I would get splatted all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom