• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Grizzco Break Room

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
No much of a fan myself. I have to say using the dynamo during a glowfly round is pretty damn fun. Almost worth putting up with it and that 1 in a million chance you get the roller and a glowfly shift at the same time.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
As mentioned, Dynamos are great in Glowfly rushes and Goldie seeking rounds. They're also useful in Cohock charges if your cannon users aren't doing such a great job.

For its role in this loadout, it's probably better off as a boss killer, and its vertical flick is good for painting a long path to the basket for when teammates need help carrying eggs. The ability to one-shot Steelheads is extremely valuable, since the Squiffer might not be nearby.

EDIT: A couple of things I forgot to mention.

I really like this loadout. Squiffer and Dynamo are two of my favorite SR weapons. Undercover Brella is pretty fun to use. Respectable DPS if you get close enough to the enemy, which isn't very dangerous with the shield blocking you (just don't have your back turned to the water). Jr. is always a good SR weapon, with great DPS for killing bosses and crowd control. I wish this was a weekend loadout, because I'd like to do it all day.

If you want a nice self-confidence boost, watch a pro competitive player play SR. They generally aren't very good at it, so you can atleast say "I'm better than this pro player at Salmon Run!".

Two clips I figured were worth sharing.

You'll figure it out eventually!

Killing a Drizzler with another Drizzler's weather ball thing.

Last edited:

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I'm really confused as to what role the Dynamo Roller is supposed to play. I thought it was Chum control at first, but we've got the Splattershot in this rotation, which is faster, more ink-efficient, and doesn't have a swim penalty. Only thing Dynamo's got on it is that Dynamos can oneshot Cohocks-and that's only if you have it to the ground. Then I thought it was a boss-killer, but once again, it's outclassed by another weapon-the Squiffer fires faster, swims faster, and uses less ink. Dynamo can't oneshot anyone besides a Steelhead, either. Is it supposed to be a penalty weapon, or am I missing something?

EDIT: Got an answer just after I posted this! Dynamos are amazing at those "Sneaky Goldie" missions. Plow over Goldie and every egg stuffed in it, and then just run up and down and smash the millions of Snatchers that come to collect!
I managed to get the Dynamo for one of these waves today too. I got this clip quite a while ago, but still worth sharing.

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
Almost every time I was given the roller the team wiped that round. Seriously disliking the dynamo roller. It kills the littles well, unfortunately everything else is better.

One thing that is SERIOUSLY cramping my style is that more than half of the matches we lost 1 or 2 people to disconnects on wave one or two making the last wave(s) extremely difficult. Especially during high tide where you really need all hands on deck.

Otherwise I'm enjoying the heck out of salmon runs, only started on them last week. Much more fun than turf wars where people are jumping around not shooting or killing anyone for half the match or more making it so no matter what you do, you lose. Not to mention losing 2 people off our side and one person off of the opposing side every third match.

Someone should recharge whatever potato they have running their servers.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
As mentioned, Dynamos are great in Glowfly rushes and Goldie seeking rounds. They're also useful in Cohock charges if your cannon users aren't doing such a great job.

For its role in this loadout, it's probably better off as a boss killer, and its vertical flick is good for painting a long path to the basket for when teammates need help carrying eggs. The ability to one-shot Steelheads is extremely valuable, since the Squiffer might not be nearby.

I really like this loadout. Squiffer and Dynamo are two of my favorite SR weapons. Undercover Brella is pretty fun to use. Respectable DPS if you get close enough to the enemy, which isn't very dangerous with the shield blocking you (just don't have your back turned to the water). Jr. is always a good SR weapon, with great DPS for killing bosses and crowd control. I wish this was a weekend loadout, because I'd like to do it all day.

If you want a nice self-confidence boost, watch a pro competitive player play SR. They generally aren't very good at it, so you can atleast say "I'm better than this pro player at Salmon Run!".

I really enjoyed both video clips! I enjoy standing on that little egg box roof too, squid partyin', and see all the players down below trying to get up. xD Makes me giggle! But I don't always make the jump, it ain't that easy. ;o

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Dynamo's only strength is rolling over weak mobs. It's fling is useless, it drains ink really fast, has horrible dps and the weapon's cumbersome mobility makes it pretty dangerous. Only ever do it if nobody else is around to crush the bosses for you. So make sure to spend your time rolling as much as you can.

It does have a few niches though: during glowfly waves, simply hold ZR, sit still straight into the path of the frenzied salmon and watch them kamikaze straight into your roller. If you keep sitting still the roller will drain much less ink than normal, while you probably will still need to recharge ink during the round you'll basically be able to beat the round with great ease by just sitting there doing nothing.
It can also almost-instantaneously crush goldie during seek waves, just roll over him and he'll be downed in seconds.

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
Dynamo roller works better if you’re playing with a squad so y’all can communicate and use it as an support role. Going in solo with 3 other randoms is a no go fam.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Wow, that goldie thing is pretty cool. Not that it would've made a difference this rotation since I didn't get the Dynamo during a Goldie wave. But it's good to know, since that's the most likely one to lose if you have a bad team.

Other than that though, this rotation only further solidified the Dynamo as the worst SR weapon for me. I got some use out of it when nobody in my team wanted to man the Cohock cannons in a low-tide wave, since it kills Cohocks so well. Apart from that it was fingers crossed I wasn't stuck with it.

The gear for this month is pretty awesome by the by. For some reason I'm seeing a lot of not-Miiverse posts about how it's weird, but it fits pretty well with the rest of the Grizzco. gear if you ask me.

TechSkylander1518

Full Squid
The gear for this month is pretty awesome by the by. For some reason I'm seeing a lot of not-Miiverse posts about how it's weird, but it fits pretty well with the rest of the Grizzco. gear if you ask me.
Even if it didn't fit-it's another mask! How cool are those?

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I also think this months gear is pretty fresh. Its different and I think its pretty funny flavor wise.
*Mr.Grizz looking around "what in the hell am I going to give to my employees this month?!" *Remembers all the gear he has left over from his crews prepping the salmon grounds for egg harvest*

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
I have found an up close vertical slash can 1 hit pop the steelhead if you do it right. That made the roller much better for me. Actually won 4 or so rounds with it.

Still much prefer all the other weapons though hands down.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I forgot to mention that Dynamo can also instakill Steel Eels if you roll over them. It's pretty helpful in that area, since you can also mow down the annoying Cohocks and Chums that like to block the Steel Eel's weak spot.

I generally don't like masks, since they cover my inkling's cute face, but I might actually use this one for aggression practice. The following plaza post tells everything about this month's gear that needs to be said.

DVA608wUMAA9VBm.jpg large.jpg

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Well... at least there's now a hat that matches the Power Armor, the MK 1 version in particular.

Now you can look like an angry metallic man!

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
Looking forward to tonight's loadout (N-Zap '85, Squeezer, Splat Roller, Goo Tuber). Finally we have a (easy to use) Roller again, hallelujah! :D
It feels like something is truly lacking whenever there's not a Roller in Salmon Run for me. *^.^*

And about the Welding Mask... It looks pretty unsightly, but funny. Like most of Grizzco's Gear and I enjoy them for that reason. ;D

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I think this opinion is unpopular, but I actually like the dynamo roller much more than the carbon roller in salmon run. Because rollers are generally bad compared to shooters, their only real positive is the ability to roll over the salmons, which the carbon cannot do. The only times to use the dynamo's flick are to hit something up high and to start rolling.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
One interesting thing I've noticed in SR is roles people tend to take. I'll sometimes see two extremes on the scores. Some people will have a bunch of gold eggs, while others have a bunch of power eggs. Obviously the people with high gold egg scores ferried alot of eggs, while the people with power egg scores killed alot of stuff. Most of the time there's a balance.

There's deaths and revives as well, but those seem to be situational.

What I think is funny about these scores is that they seem to be the reverse of PvP. In PvP, the person with the most kills gets the most glory, but in this, it's the person who ferried the most gold eggs. I've also noticed that killers in PvP tend to ferry eggs, while support players kill a bunch of stuff in SR. Obviously there's exceptions to this, but it seems to be the trend from what I've noticed.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
One interesting thing I've noticed in SR is roles people tend to take. I'll sometimes see two extremes on the scores. Some people will have a bunch of gold eggs, while others have a bunch of power eggs. Obviously the people with high gold egg scores ferried alot of eggs, while the people with power egg scores killed alot of stuff. Most of the time there's a balance.

There's deaths and revives as well, but those seem to be situational.

What I think is funny about these scores is that they seem to be the reverse of PvP. In PvP, the person with the most kills gets the most glory, but in this, it's the person who ferried the most gold eggs. I've also noticed that killers in PvP tend to ferry eggs, while support players kill a bunch of stuff in SR. Obviously there's exceptions to this, but it seems to be the trend from what I've noticed.
This is actually a very good observation that I haven't noticed much but is almost always true. I tend to play support in PvP, mainly heavy splatling and squelcher, and in salmon run I almost never lead the team in gold eggs but I almost always lead in power eggs. I suppose it is a product of different play styles and how those translate to salmon run. An aggressive player is more likely to rush forward for the gold eggs and get back to the basket as quickly as possible while a support player likes to assist the aggressive players and typically waits until it is mostly clear before going in for the eggs. The saves are situational, but they can roughly be translated to vision and movement skill. A player that is very good at maneuvering quickly will have less deaths than someone who does not, especially with the sheer volume of salmonoids in the higher power levels.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Could not wait for the Hydra to be in the rotation.... Great to wreck some salmon but once it gets a little heated or your teams ink radius get smaller its all up to the rest of the crew to help you out or your are toast.

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
I’d like to commend a random Dynamo teammate of mine, who in absence of a sniper, one shot two Steelheads back to back in two seconds.

Also @calamaro, I’ve found it pretty difficult using the Hydra in Salmon Run. You need a teammate to clear out Chums so you have time to get a charge; I haven’t found much success as I always go randoms. What’s your strategy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom