• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Grizzco Break Room

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I have been having some...interesting shifts lately. Mostly due to the merits, or rather demerits, of some of my co-workers. Here's a list of some of the strange things I have been seeing while working that have been keeping me awake at night.

~Using the Carbon Roller to attack the Steelhead's stomach.
~Ignoring the Flyfish and Stingers to attack more Chums.
~Limited space inside the Lost Outpost and on the platforms of the Salmonid Smokeyard, yet willfully ignores the Steel Eels that make things even tighter on space.
~Ignoring downed teammates to continue fighting multiple boss Salmonids in an attempt to try to be the Inkling version of the Terminator.
~Saving specials for no good reason.
~Taking an unscheduled break while there are Salmonids everywhere and the team is getting pounded.
~Using the Hydra Splatling as if it were a Sploosh-o-Matic.
~Not calling for help after being downed because...reasons.
~Instead of opening only one or two gushers and trying to pinpoint the right one, just opening ALL of them.
~Running around like mad squids during Glowfly and Griller waves instead of hunkering down in one centralized location and acting like a team.
~Not moving. At all. Ever. Under any circumstance.

I am baffled by all of this and am often left to wonder how these squids managed to make it to the Profreshional rank with work related performances like this. It makes me a sad squid.

Tsene

Full Squid
NNID
freakzene
Switch Friend Code
SW-6942-9915-1395
As far as the random weapon goes, chargers seem to be the fad in my lobbies! I'll take more sniping gladly but some of my teammates haven't been performing well (understandably :D) in doublecharger loadouts. Besides that it's been a abit 50/50 so far, a lot of wipeouts on round 3 compared to wins. But I'm hovering in steady 400-500 range so all is well in that regard. I had a feeling the loadout of aerospray/splatcharger/luna/random would be nice but it really isn't playing well most of the time - and I don't think it's the weapon issue unless the random one is something really unfortunate for a certain round.

Some squids hopping around in SR really need to expand their weapon roster knowledge! Funnily enough my teammates seem to have the biggest struggles with wielding all kinds of blasters :p

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I really love SR and it's special waves... except Goldie Seeking. With all other waves, you have a fair chance at succeeding. If RNG hates you in a seeking wave, you will not win.
It was high tide on Spawning Grounds, and two times in a row Goldie was hiding in the gusher all the way past the walkable grates. We couldn't damage him fast enough on the grates to get him to drop enough eggs, while the eggs themselves were already in a really bad position to begin with. Additionally, the mobs back at our basket blocked Goldie's escape, every single time.
Where Goldie appears is so important. He sits ontop of the geyser before running to another random geyser to the map, but if he sits on the edge of the map the eggs you'll get from that period of time are almost as good as useless.

Absolutely Absol

Pro Squid
I'm stuck in 300-400 range. Co-workers often have 3+ death, worst one had over 10. While not perfect, my range of death is 0-3.

Also, it's like reset button. I've seen one player shooting at Maws instead of feed her bomb. Ah, old days of early Salmon Run. Wait, what is that player doing in Profreshional?

Then, triple bosses at once (especially Steel Eels). Have anyone here who has 900 rank seen... um, *Googles*... nontupe bosses?

TechSkylander1518

Full Squid
I honestly will shoot Maws, but only if I don't have the ink for a bomb. I know it sounds stupid, but usually, if I'm too low for a bomb, it's because I've been taking care of other Salmons nearby-meaning a) I don't have time to refuel without getting hit, and b) My coworkers and I might be able to hit Maws while we take care of everyone else. (Of course, if Maws isn't down when the way's clear, always go for bombs)

Now, if Maws is the only fish there and someone's shooting at her, that's just plain silly. You can refuel and get a bomb when she comes up a second time!

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Quite often I feel you don't really have to use the Stingray. Now, granted, there aren't that many other uses for the Stingray, unless you happen to get a Glowflies wave afterwards, but most of the time having 2 or 3 people at the basket will be good enough.

I'll use it if I feel like it would help, but 90% of the time it would be a waste of a special.

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
Yeah, the Stingray special isn't really all that great except for the Griller and Mothership rounds.

I always find it a liability when **** hits the fan.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I've seen one player shooting at Maws instead of feed her bomb.
One time when I got the hydra I had reached a full charge and a maws popped up. I couldn't throw a bomb, so I decided to just shoot it instead. The hydra splatling can kill a maws in a single burst. Kill a maws. By shooting. The hydra is very powerful.

I also got the scoped e-liter during a low-tide fog wave. I never thought about that before, but the combination of only being able to see far away while not being able to see far away is really bad. We got wiped that round.

I know I'm late to this, but I have been seeing multiple waves that have doubled steel eels when I never used to see them, and I have been in profresh the whole time. I will still take double eels over double flyfish, as you can at least expect your team to target the eels, the flyfish just sit in the corner with no threat toward them at all.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Yeah, the Stingray special isn't really all that great except for the Griller and Mothership rounds.

I always find it a liability when **** hits the fan.
Uses for the Stingray weapon in Salmon Run:

~Hitting the Mothership from far away.
~Piercing the armor of a Griller.
~Glowfly crowd control.
~General crowd control.
~Piercing the armor of a Scrapper.
~Stinger long range quick disposal.
~Piercing the armor of a Drizzler.
~Long range teammate revival.
~Piercing the armor of a Flyfish.
~Getting more eggs from Goldie in a pinch in Gusher waves.
~Piercing through a Steel Eel's walls.
~End of round partying.
~Did I mention that it pierces armor?

I think I have to disagree with you here. In Salmon Run shifts, the Stingray is the most useful special provided that its carrier uses it correctly.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet

~Glowfly crowd control.
~General crowd control.
~End of round partying.

I think I have to disagree with you here. In Salmon Run shifts, the Stingray is the most useful special provided that its carrier uses it correctly.
The stingray may have many uses, but it is awful in close quarters. The only time you have a chance to use it and survive is to use it before things get too bad. In my last 2 map rotations I have had far more high tide waves, including shifts where all three waves are high tide. The only stage where you might get a chance to use the stingray on high tide is marooner's bay due to the other maps simply having no room.

I would say the stingray is the best special if your team is not under siege, but if that is the case then the inkjet is the best due to its ability to fly and many uses.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
I'd say all the specials provided to you in Salmon Run are good/mediocre, but can work really well if used the right time.

Inkjet and splat bomb launcher are great when the enemies are coming towards you or trapping you. Though splat bomb launcher should be used from a distance.

Sting Ray is great for taking out enemies with armor or taking out bosses like Stinger from a far range.

Splashdown is great for clearing out enemies around you, and allowing you to take out bosses like Flyfish or Scrapper without being attacked by lesser salmonids.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral

~Glowfly crowd control.
~General crowd control.
~End of round partying.

Yes, but you're also completely helpless while you fire it and you can't change back to your main weapon as with the bomb rush.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral

~Glowfly crowd control.
~General crowd control.
~End of round partying.

Well thought out list. Someone is buttering up to Mr. Grizz. ;)

The Stingray is the biggest game changer special I think. A lot of it is dependent on your shiftmates but wielded correctly forgettaboutit.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
Stingray has some great uses. My only real issue with it is that when things go south, you can't really use Stingray. Stingers will instakill you, Flyfish will likely have you targeted, so you can't stop and use it, and you can't avoid Steelheads if you're using it. I think of Stingray as more of a prevention special than anything. I generally try to use it to take out Flyfish if there's a decent amount. They're unreliable in taking out Stingers.

Another cool use for Stingray is to clear out a path. Stingray + High Tide Marooner's Bay = <3

Something I'd like to babble about is the value in playing solo SR. Obviously if you play with a squad, it's 99% more likely that the runs will be smoother. It's just the constant smooth runs mean you're not as used to things going south. There's not as many DCs, or jerkface teammates who just don't do anything. You gain strength from adversity! Instead of being okay with being splatted since you'll always have a reliable teammate to revive you, develop some sick dodging skills, because you know that if you die, the round is likely over!

Also despite how frustrating randoms can be, there's still some cute and funny moments to be had. Like where some seem to learn from you. The clip I'll post is pretty funny. There's also very satisfying experiences in solo, where you team up with players who are obviously a squad, and you still outperform them!

Playing with friends is definitely a better experience, but there's still value to be had in solo. I'm still striving to get my 100+ egg run with randos.

iced potato

Senior Squid
I'm not sure if it's just my controller or if it's me, but sometimes my special accidentally gets activated. It's not like I am actually pushing down on the right stick, I don't ever feel the click of it pushed when it suddenly happens.

Tsene

Full Squid
NNID
freakzene
Switch Friend Code
SW-6942-9915-1395
As a someone who plays Salmon Run in long session, can't say my finger is too happy with a nozzle and brush in the rotation :D The whole loadout with also e-liter and dualie squelcher has been really difficult in my lobbies. A lot of wipes due to being overwhelmed, but not enough to drop my rating so I'd say it's a decent challenge! I wish I'd get to play more special rounds though (goldie/griller/mothership/salmonoid rush), been a bit unlucky gettíng those recently :(

Something I'd like to babble about is the value in playing solo SR. Obviously if you play with a squad, it's 99% more likely that the runs will be smoother. It's just the constant smooth runs mean you're not as used to things going south. There's not as many DCs, or jerkface teammates who just don't do anything. You gain strength from adversity! Instead of being okay with being splatted since you'll always have a reliable teammate to revive you, develop some sick dodging skills, because you know that if you die, the round is likely over!

Also despite how frustrating randoms can be, there's still some cute and funny moments to be had. Like where some seem to learn from you. The clip I'll post is pretty funny. There's also very satisfying experiences in solo, where you team up with players who are obviously a squad, and you still outperform them!

Playing with friends is definitely a better experience, but there's still value to be had in solo. I'm still striving to get my 100+ egg run with randos.

I do play only in solo queue for Salmon Run. Which does at times explain why I do tend to have a hard time (besides my own mistakes of course). Even though there's the unfortunate matches with squids half-afking, not knowing how to use their weapons, seemingly not knowing very basic things for SR despite being in profreshional.. it's still really fun in the end! I've had some extremely fun lobbies aswell with squids booyahing left and right and working well together as a team. The goods outweight the bads for sure, and it takes a lot bad SR matches for me to get even mildly frustrated :p And I do think the solo queue experience has toughened me up a bit, like you wrote with randoms at times you do have to be able to make some sick moves to make it to the end of the round. I don't want to sound like I think I'm a pro squid myself - some days I play really poorly myself and get carried by a random supersquid :D Solo is a nice RNG funbag!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom