• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Grizzco Break Room

catmeow1

Inkling
had my first goldie seeking (edit) a while ago. ended with a crew wipe because people kept opening gushers even when we had found the goldie. never again.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
had my first goldie seeking (edit) a while ago. ended with a crew wipe because people kept opening gushers even when we had found the goldie. never again.
That’s how it usually goes. XD
it gets better the higher your rank but even in profresh players sometimes do that.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I don't understand how it's possible to lose a goldie seeking round at profesh 400! In the first wave!

Does the tide effect how many salmonids spawn from each gusher? I typically find high tide goldie waves easier due to the less gushers, but I haven't had any rounds on high tide since reaching 400 so I don't know if they are still easier.

catmeow1

Inkling
That’s how it usually goes. XD
it gets better the higher your rank but even in profresh players sometimes do that.
im at over-achiever.
I don't understand how it's possible to lose a goldie seeking round at profesh 400! In the first wave!

Does the tide effect how many salmonids spawn from each gusher? I typically find high tide goldie waves easier due to the less gushers, but I haven't had any rounds on high tide since reaching 400 so I don't know if they are still easier.
yes, but because of less salmonids, more chums. i think.

Tsene

Full Squid
NNID
freakzene
Switch Friend Code
SW-6942-9915-1395
Goldie waves can be tricky! But here's a funny one from a Mothership round today: two random squids using their specials at the same time - stingray blasting salmonoids coming from the shore and inkjet shooting at the approaching Mothership when it wasn't even taking damage yet :D Sorry Mr. Grizz!

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
on my way fighting for profreshional, I have never had one goldie seeking round. I get mothership all the time. I'm pretty ok with that, because I find mothership to be really easy. I guess other squid would disagree. I'm not looking forward to finally getting one, since I'll then be that confused rando who drags everyone down until I catch my bearings.

catmeow1

Inkling
I honestly want to get a mother ship round once, because i know how to deal with it, but i want actual experience with it.

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
Or when we met the quota like 40 seconds before the wave ends and they continue to open more gushers, making me deal with unnecessary chum. :P

L;lac

Inkling
I'm in profresh, so why are two of my team mates trying to fight grillers on the side without the basket on Salmonid Smokeyard? You should know better :(
I don't think teams are selected based on player scores, (for example matching 400s with 400s and not 400s with 40s) but waves like these really make me wish we were.

Last edited:

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Or when we met the quota like 40 seconds before the wave ends and they continue to open more gushers, making me deal with unnecessary chum. :p
Well, they should open one or two gushers, just to earn a few more power eggs.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Today's complaint comes courtesy of the Mini Splatling/Splattershot/H-3 Nozzlenose/E-Liter 4k round.

I hate to admit it, but I am not at Pro 400 yet. I am trying my hardest to get there as I feel it to be a more accurate mark of the time and effort I spend trying to improve myself. Before this round opened up I was at 300 and feeling pretty confident in myself and my ability to reach for my goal! Not after today's performance. Allow me to explain and hopefully there will be some understanding.

Very first round, failed in the first wave due to teammates not coordinating and seemingly not slaying many of the bosses. Okay, fine. Must just be a bad start. Let's keep going! Surely that was just a bad draw and things will get better from here, right? Not a chance. Every round after that ends in failure. Every single one. I couldn't even stand to try to go for both of my super bonuses because it was just too draining on my spirit. In just a few rounds I went from 300 to 230 and at that point I just called it quits for the day. I couldn't believe how badly I was doing! It's like hours and hours of practice and performance had led me down the road to abject failure and humiliaation. But as I was soaking in all of the shame and defeat, I did notice something that made things make sense, but did nothing but infuriate me further.

Most of the time, we were going down because of my co-workers not pulling their weight. The number of eggs collected and the number of power eggs they had obtained, the mark of their combat prowess (obviously), were routinely very low in comparison to the numbers I was putting forth. As if they were either not trying at all or they were not using the weapons they were handed properly. Now I can see not being to familiar with the working environment early on and trying to get things together as you're learning. But one would think that by the time you hit Pro ranks you should be on top of things. You're no longer wet behind the ears, you are a bonafide Profreshional now! You've made a name for yourself! You should know how to make things work! Sadly my expectations were shattered like a cheap piece of glass as I realized that most of the people working for GrizzCo have no idea how to use anything more difficult than a Splattershot, Sploosh-o-Matic, or an Aerospray. Give most squids anything other than one of those three weapons and they will flounder and cry until the rest of the crew wipes along with them.

Now I am by no means saying that I think that I am perfect. If I were, I would have hit my goal by now and wouldn't be complaining this loudly about it. But I at least can say that I have a baseline knowledge of all of the weapons and I can perform rather well with most of them. My personal favorites being any Splatling, most Dualies, and the Dynamo Roller. To me, this round seemed like a cake walk! Clearly this was not a shared opinion though. It also makes me think that I need to avoid rounds that have the H-3 for sure if I want to continue to climb the ladder. I don't know why the insistence on making us use a weapon with as slow of a fire rate as the H-3 Nozzlenose! It simply cannot handle this amount of constantly mounting pressure. It's good against bosses, but if you get surrounded while holding it then your only options are to retreat or use a special. The former leading to heavily increasing numbers of Salmonid bosses being around all at once to convince you that your world should be green and the latter only really being an option twice and only if you have Splashdown or Inkjet, and even then they don't always work out. I'm sure that the same arguments can be made for the E-Liter 4k, but it has things going for it. High damage, very long range, and an ability to keep your immediate surroundings painted with quick shots. It charges slowly though, and that is time being spent readying a shot and not necessarily firing one. I may like it, but I acknowledge that the weapon is also slow and unwieldy for something like Salmon Run.

I guess the message I am trying to convey through all of this is that I'm not sure where to go from here. Are all of these failures a sign that I shouldn't be trying to reach for my 400 goal? Is all of this my fault in the long run? Should I just avoid rounds that have any weapons that require effort to use? Is there anything I can do to improve my game?

I have been thinking about making a guide of some sort that could hopefully educate and give guidance to those who are having trouble, but that would seem a bit ludicrous coming as it would be from someone who is having trouble and therefore shouldn't be trying to make a guide. I have no idea what to think. Someone let me know what you think and I'll go from there. If you read all of this then thank you. This has been another one of my angry/frustrated text walls.

Tsene

Full Squid
NNID
freakzene
Switch Friend Code
SW-6942-9915-1395
Today's complaint comes courtesy of the Mini Splatling/Splattershot/H-3 Nozzlenose/E-Liter 4k round...
I actually had a bad time with that rotation too! I didn't expect it at all, the weapons seemed not that difficult (for the randoms) but I got proven wrong very quickly.. well that seems to happen a lot now that I think of it, I might be too optimistic :D I do not want to bash on my teammates too much, but the endgame scoreboard was pretty horrifying most of the time and some squids really goofed up badly. I dropped into 300s but managed to get back up to 410 during the rotation. Still, it was a rough time in soloqueue and to be honest, I really haven't been in the 500+ range in a while now.. but someday I will again!

There's a lot reasons why a Salmon Run match can go wrong - even the slightest mistake at times can lead to a teamwipe/loss. And profresh is a mixed bag of squids for sure, some matches you'll feel like an unstoppable force and the next one you're wondering did you somehow derank three times. If you're afraid of dropping a lot points, I think avoiding the clearly difficult weapon rotations (as you pondered) wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Sometimes I've wished I did after losing a lot matches, but I do appreciate the practise in the end. And overall, don't beat yourself too much.

If you do feel like writing that guide, go for it! Everyone has troubles at times in Salmon Run and I don't think that'd make a guide any less ''legit'' :) And you learn a lot from your own troubles!

Talking about difficult rotations: 96 gal, two brellas and a gootuber on Lost outpost.. boy, I feel like this is gonna be a real challenge! Edit: Yup, blummeting down in score really fast, but I do like the weapons!

Last edited:

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Seems like t'is the season to be clutch-saving wave two! ♪
This loadout was truly a load of fun in multiple ways. Two notable rounds. The first, solo queue, only randos. Splashdown finally decided to (kinda) work in my favor for once. Managed to get that last egg in. Another round, with the courtesy of Lime and Drache, managed to pick up the slack for my fallen ally and slam-dunk that last sucker just before the timer ended. I want to apologize for the heap 'o terrible puns I may or may not have dropped today. :D

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Nice last second dunks!

Talking about difficult rotations: 96 gal, two brellas and a gootuber on Lost outpost.. boy, I feel like this is gonna be a real challenge! Edit: Yup, blummeting down in score really fast, but I do like the weapons!
Really? I was actually doing pretty well with this weapon set! I may have just been getting lucky with my co-workers, but we were consistently either winning our waves or failing late into the third round, which I still call a win because I haven't lost any points towards my rank. General rule of thumb, Wave 3 is the dream!

I should start recording my Salmon Runs again. I might need to buy a new Haupaugge for that since my last one tried to dominate my computer, but it would help to have some footage to go along with the words that I wish to speak for my potential guide to Salmon Running. I could also use my recordings to analyze my performance both in Salmon Run and in regular battles. Yes, I think I will need to make this happen.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
I like this loadout... Dualie Squelcher, Splash-o-matic, Squeezer, and a random slot with chance for Grizz Blaster

It's almost like Grizz read my mind. Splash is great for its up-close killing potential, and Squeezer and DS have good range. Add in a Grizzco weapon, and I'm a happy squid

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I'm hoping that his loadout is fun to use. I just got back to Pro 300 on the last loadout (.96 Gal/Splat Brella/Undercover Brella/Goo Tuber) and I am hoping to get to 400 on this one. I know I am good enough to be among the best, now I just need to prove it!

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
I just got into Pro in last rotation. Ready to make y'all groan.

This loadout looks well rounded, so I have high hopes. I'm ready to make the push into the big leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom