• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Hacking Gear Abilities

Do you use hacks?

• Yes... :)

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • No, of course not!

Votes: 43 60.6%
  • I tried to, but I got banned

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I tried to use it, but it didn't work

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters

Royal John

Inkling
NNID
royaljohn
I understand the reasons to hack and stuff, but, as I was away from the forums and the game, I would like to understand, if possible, how the hacking stuff is handled at tournaments across the world/internet.

I honestly don't like playing against other players. I would rather play a mode like "Horde Mode" because that way we can all work together while still having fun.

I'm beginning to question whether I actually enjoy playing games where your objective is to fight against other players, because people take those types of games too seriously now, they're always trying to turn the game into an e-sport...

It's probably the reason why I seem to enjoy the ever living F&$% out of games like Animal Crossing so much

EDIT This post was made before Splatoon 2's Salmon run was announced

Last edited:

cwjakesteel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
cwjakesteel
I actually just hacked mine today because I saw this thread. I knew hacking was in splatoon for a while, but I never tried it cause I always thought it might be harder than it looked. But nope. A good 10 minutes was all it took.

My only issue (which is really my own problem) is that I over-hack for my current setup. I only ever use the tri-slosher (I have over half a million paint points on it), so I was setting up my gear to mainly Ink Saver Main, Recoveries and Bomb throws, and this set up doesn't benefit at all from damage up, so if I changed anything I'd literally have no damage ups anywhere (and I suck at chargers)

Anyway, after actually trying to reroll for my stuff and getting even worse junk I don't feel bad about it at all.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
I did, and im sure many other competitive players have too.

Nintendo even acknowledged their current gear system was really bad by completely fixing it for splatoon 2

Mikaya

Certified Nerd
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-8448-2209
I only started to edit gear a few weeks ago. I was against hacking for a while, but seeming as many players use it, it used to annoy me because they had the upper hand in battle. Spyke is useless, I've tried re-rolling gear before but never got any good results. Splathax is easy to start off and use, I followed a step-by-step video.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It's kind of irrelevant with the sequel just two months off anyway. Said sequel's doffed Spyke and his lousy randomness, and the main people who will be staying behind on the Wii U will be the have-nots who can't get a Switch, and the diehard fans who are all likely hacking. ZE SHIP HAS SAILED!

I only started to edit gear a few weeks ago. I was against hacking for a while, but seeming as many players use it, it used to annoy me because they had the upper hand in battle. Spyke is useless, I've tried re-rolling gear before but never got any good results. Splathax is easy to start off and use, I followed a step-by-step video.
I kept trying to connect to my Wii U with it, but it never detected the IP address : (

Luka Puka

Inkster Jr.
NNID
three3musketeers
At least us Wii U loyalists won't have annoying accelerating rollers, annoying charger storage users, and the weird-looking ink revamp and horrible font. Plus I like most of the specials in Splatoon that won't be coming back in the sequel; the Sting Ray looks pretty underpowered and hard to use, and the Splashdown just looks like a faster Inkstrike that you're in the middle of that leaves you vulnerable afterward.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
At least us Wii U loyalists won't have annoying accelerating rollers, annoying charger storage users, and the weird-looking ink revamp and horrible font. Plus I like most of the specials in Splatoon that won't be coming back in the sequel; the Sting Ray looks pretty underpowered and hard to use, and the Splashdown just looks like a faster Inkstrike that you're in the middle of that leaves you vulnerable afterward.
...Why are you posting this here? It has nothing to do with the topic. You sound pretty bitter, at that. All of the old specials are unbalanced messes and we'll be better for their departure.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
I would try it but don't dare since i'm not really experienced with it, and won't bother with it at this point because splatoon 2.

I don't mind people using hacks for avoiding RNG, as long they not use hacks for impossible gear or something.
(which i have the feeling splatoon 1 will deal with sooner or later, or maybe even now)

Luka Puka

Inkster Jr.
NNID
three3musketeers
Just sharing my opinion, and I was replying to your previous post on here.

Some of the first specials are real game-changers but I wouldn't say that just because they are powerful they're unbalanced. They're specials after all.

I'm just saying that some of the Splatoon 2 mechanics and specials are probably too extra (like charger storage). Sorry if I sounded bitter; I thought my repetition of the word annoying and wordy comment overall would leave an informal-ranty impression...

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Huh, I didn't even know gear-hacking was a thing. After a 100 hours of play I managed to get all my favorite-looking gear to get triples of some great stats (Instant respawn, strength up) I get the hate behind the rolling being completely random, but with just a few re-rolls you'll end up with something nice. Just toss some Super Snails in and get a nice return!

Also, I get where Luka is coming from, this entire thread seems to push the idea that the U community is redundant the day 2/Switch releases. Not every fan of the original is going to drop $360 on a Switch and the base game when it launches, so the U community shouldn't be swallowed by a terrible community of exploits because it's a older game. Whether Splatoon 2 is a fun and more balanced game is yet to be seen, so its understandable to defend the Wii U original as it's a fun game in its own right. And it's a shame that it's fallen to exploits.

My prediction of the future? Splatoon 2 will release and be considered the better, non-RNG game. Most players that felt frustrated with rolling mechanics will hop to the sequel and avoid using exploits. As a result, Splatoon Classic's exploiters will rapidly decrease and things will go a bit more vanilla. Splatoon 2's mainstream success will pave a way for a more niche, closer-knit Splatoon Classic community. TDLR: Splatoon 2's non RNG gameplay will actually help balance both games by bringing those who used exploits to the sequel.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Huh, I didn't even know gear-hacking was a thing. After a 100 hours of play I managed to get all my favorite-looking gear to get triples of some great stats (Instant respawn, strength up) I get the hate behind the rolling being completely random, but with just a few re-rolls you'll end up with something nice. Just toss some Super Snails in and get a nice return!

Also, I get where Luka is coming from, this entire thread seems to push the idea that the U community is redundant the day 2/Switch releases. Not every fan of the original is going to drop $360 on a Switch and the base game when it launches, so the U community shouldn't be swallowed by a terrible community of exploits because it's a older game. Whether Splatoon 2 is a fun and more balanced game is yet to be seen, so its understandable to defend the Wii U original as it's a fun game in its own right. And it's a shame that it's fallen to exploits.

My prediction of the future? Splatoon 2 will release and be considered the better, non-RNG game. Most players that felt frustrated with rolling mechanics will hop to the sequel and avoid using exploits. As a result, Splatoon Classic's exploiters will rapidly decrease and things will go a bit more vanilla. Splatoon 2's mainstream success will pave a way for a more niche, closer-knit Splatoon Classic community. TDLR: Splatoon 2's non RNG gameplay will actually help balance both games by bringing those who used exploits to the sequel.
It's kind of a fact of life that anytime a new and clearly improved model of something comes along, the old model is generally phased out, if not by the company then by the consumers. It just happens regardless of anyone's intentions. Old model enthusiasts are almost always a minority in the grand scheme of things. This happens with cars, computers, phones, appliances, you name it.

Your prediction is optimistic, but doesn't account for hackers, which are already on the rise. Exploits are one thing, completely ruining matches is another. As Nintendo's focus moves elsewhere, people are going to find new ways to break the game since Nintendo isn't watching, and this will only increase with time. Getting an honest match in Splatoon 1 will get harder and harder after July 21st.

Luka Puka

Inkster Jr.
NNID
three3musketeers
I've been seeing more infinite rapid burst bombs and instant paint bucket on an almost daily basis now...

HySquid

Full Squid
NNID
mob362
I wouldn't hack. I know how it feels to frickin SUFFER in ranked. I'm sure as shell not gonna make it worst for anyone. It isn't worth getting banned either.

I don't even know how to hack. xD

Creator438

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Creator438
Voted "Yes... :)" b/c I hack gear abilities onto my gear, but I don't hack in other ways.

Honestly, I haven't cared about people hacking their gear abilities for a long time. Having optimal abilities is nice, but in this day and age they won't save you from good Tentateks, Dynamos, CRBs, Zimis, any good weapon, or any good player. It really does comes down to your ability to fight in the game, because you can run 6 run speed on an N-Zap '85 but if you can't aim at the Tentatek your up against, it's more likely than not that he's going to kill you.

More to that point, they never really did make anyone better. I think it was really the days where blasters could stack a bunch of damage and get a 1 shot w/ an indirect were the days where gear abilities mattered most. Even nowadays you don't need to run very much Quick Respawn to make the QR + SJ strat work, if you're into that sort of thing.

And because of that, I think they ****ed up with the gear system. Big time. I mean, we all know that to be true, but making it so you could only get rerolls by locking Snails behind a monthly-ish event was fricken stupid. Which is why I hope they'll make snails obtainable by getting 30 wins right from the get-go, because the gear/abilities system will still be very, VERY costly if that's not a thing.

Re-reads thread comments, finds this...
Oh, whoops. Got a little inflamed over assuming he (the one who started this thread) was "targeting" me as a gear hacker.

Yeah, Nintendo will still ban you if it cares. But I've gone online multiple times sporting hacked gear

Trying to suppress the trigger: Online you say?

Last edited:

Patrick1088

Inkster Jr.
NNID
patrick1088
I used hacked geAR but honestly it doesn't make you an automatic winner, it still takes skills to win.

Regarding Splat2, I believe that you can choose your abilities so there won't be any need to hack gear anymore

P-Kong

Full Squid
I did and loaded a backup once, which in turn messed up my SplatNet and makes me look like some kind of save scummer.
Not worth it on your main account if you feel bad having inkonsistencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom